Multi-Entry Non Imm O Visa Based On Visiting Friends

I have two friends who are married and are coming to visit my wife and me in LOS. After the good advice form TV members and mods, they are applying to Hull by post for a Multi-Entry Non Imm O visa based on visiting friends.

On the visa aplication form what do you suggest they say for the onward plan after leaving Thailand, and also how long they plan to stay in Thailand?

We know Hull are very 'user friendly', but my friends are going to convert to an extension based on retirement when they are here and they dont want ro put anything on the form that could cause problems when they do the retirement extension.

Thanks for the advice and all the other good advise previously offered here about this visa application.

If they are going to convert to retirement there is no reason to obtain anything more than a single entry non immigrant O visa (unless this is far in the future planning). And for a married couple only one has to extend for retirement and the other can use dependent with no financial requirements. Visiting friends (you) should not be a problem in any case.

Lopburi3 and Crossy. Thanks for the feedback.

I have actually discussed this with you and other TV members over the previous months on a separate thread. I gave my friends the options - pros and cons of Tourist Visa versus Non Imm-O visa (mutlti -entry and single-entry) and they chose the Multi-Entry. The husband is not 50 for several months so they will need to be here longer than just a single-entry visa.

They will do the retirement paperwork based on the husband as the wife is 'only' 45.

As recommended by you and TV members on the other thread, they have downloaded those forms a few weeks ago, my wife and I have written a letter inviting them over here with copies of our passport, Thai Id, House book etc...

Again as recommended on the other thread, they are going to provide bank statements etc.. when they send the application form to Hull.

Yes I know this is 'overkill', but they are currently in South Africa ( they are British - just travelling) and returning to the UK for just 2 weeks, so we do not have time to 'get it wrong'.

So everything is ready to go when they arrive in the UK on the 30th August.

I just received an email from them today which said the following for which I was going to say onward trip to Hong Kong and staying until October 2011 - but I thought I would ask the experts first...:-

Question: On the visa aplication form what do you suggest I say for the onward plan after leaving Thailand, and also how long we plan to stay in Thailand?

Everything else I have filled in, and have copies of letters and bank statements etc, just not sure what to put for those 2 bits.

Plan to return to UK/go to Hong Kong?

Plan to stay until June 2011??

thanks for the help

edit: I have looked again at the Hull website and I cannot see an example of what to write for this part of the form - not even in the additional information for the O-Visa. I guess 1 year after arrival is OK for the duration and Hong Kong the next destination ???

Proposed duration of stay: _______________________________ Travel details after Thailand: _____________________________________

Edited by dsfbrit

I would advise not getting to complacated just request the visa for visiting friends and your addresse, sometime to much info can cloud the issue. Either Hull will give the visa based on visiting friends or they will not.

When I checked this same issue out in the states each consulate was different the one guy who I will be using was just up front about giving a multi entry if I wanted it.

Thanks for the feedback Moe666. Normally I would agree with you, just provide the minimum information. The trouble is in this case, they are only in the UK for 2 weeks (9 working days) and so they dont have time to provide more information if its needed. Hence the 'sledgehammer' approach.

So no big deal, my wife and I have written a letter inviting them over here and they have provided a bank statement.

They emailed me and asked what to put in the part of the form relating to 'the time they would stay in Thailand' and the 'next destination after Thailand'. I was going to simply reply to them to write '1 year' and ' Hong Kong' respectively.

However, as I have time to reply to them, I thought it better to check here first!!!!

Better safe than sorry - its a BIG responsibility advising someone what to do in this situation - I dont want to get it wrong :unsure:

Thanks for the feedback Moe666. Normally I would agree with you, just provide the minimum information. The trouble is in this case, they are only in the UK for 2 weeks (9 working days) and so they dont have time to provide more information if its needed. Hence the 'sledgehammer' approach.

So no big deal, my wife and I have written a letter inviting them over here and they have provided a bank statement.

They emailed me and asked what to put in the part of the form relating to 'the time they would stay in Thailand' and the 'next destination after Thailand'. I was going to simply reply to them to write '1 year' and ' Hong Kong' respectively.

However, as I have time to reply to them, I thought it better to check here first!!!!

Better safe than sorry - its a BIG responsibility advising someone what to do in this situation - I dont want to get it wrong :unsure:

As good as anything, and probably won't even be read to be honest.

You won't have a problem with Hull, sounds to me like you are worrying too much. Also, if you ask me, I would leave out the bank statements as they are definitely not required for this type of visa, and have more potential to confuse somebody as to why they were included than to do you any good.

A few years ago when I applied for the same visa by post, there was a query with my credit card details (can't remember what exactly), and the girl from Hull called me and straightened it out on the phone (this was the day after I sent it), so they are pretty good when it comes to resolving any minor issues.

Also with registered post you get it back within 3 days so would still have time to re-apply if necessary (though HIGHLY unlikely).

As good as anything, and probably won't even be read to be honest.

You won't have a problem with Hull, sounds to me like you are worrying too much. Also, if you ask me, I would leave out the bank statements as they are definitely not required for this type of visa, and have more potential to confuse somebody as to why they were included than to do you any good.

A few years ago when I applied for the same visa by post, there was a query with my credit card details (can't remember what exactly), and the girl from Hull called me and straightened it out on the phone (this was the day after I sent it), so they are pretty good when it comes to resolving any minor issues.

Also with registered post you get it back within 3 days so would still have time to re-apply if necessary (though HIGHLY unlikely).

Thanks for your thoughts QED.

I would normally not be so 'fussy', but helping other people is a very stressful activity. :D

So do you think if I suggest:

- they write 1 year and Hong Kong

- include my letter of invitation

- tell them NOT to include any more information ie bank statements

thanks again for your help

Thanks for your thoughts QED.

I would normally not be so 'fussy', but helping other people is a very stressful activity. :D

So do you think if I suggest:

- they write 1 year and Hong Kong

- include my letter of invitation

- tell them NOT to include any more information ie bank statements

thanks again for your help

That is what I would do personally, I had 3 of these visas back to back and there was never an issue. This was without even a letter of invitation, although they asked for it at the time I never sent one (but if you have done that it would be better for them to include it).

They are very laid back there, and as long as the rest of the paperwork is completed correctly I assure you they won't have a problem.

Another possibility qould be to visit the consulate itself. I don't know how far they live from Hull, but it is very easy to get to, being at the end of the M62 motorway.

It costs an extra £10 to arrange an appointment, but once there they could ask the staff at the consulate what to put, and not worry about putting the wrong thing. I've been to the consulate myself on a few occasions, and as others have said they are very friendly and efficient.

Another possibility qould be to visit the consulate itself. I don't know how far they live from Hull, but it is very easy to get to, being at the end of the M62 motorway.

It costs an extra £10 to arrange an appointment, but once there they could ask the staff at the consulate what to put, and not worry about putting the wrong thing. I've been to the consulate myself on a few occasions, and as others have said they are very friendly and efficient.

Thanks for the feedback eyebee. They are staying with some friends in Surrey, so its quite a long way from Hull. To be honest, I think they would only do that as a last resort as they simply would not have time...