Us Citizen, Wanting A Non-Imm B Visa, But No Job!

Hello!

I tried searching the forums for the answer to this question before starting a new topic. So hopefully someone can help me out.

I am a 23 year old citizen of the United States. I am planning on moving to Thailand and living/working there. However, I have been unable to secure a job for myself in Thailand and therefore do NOT qualify for a Non-Immigrant B Visa. However, I am under the impression that if one goes to Thailand, it is much, much easier to find jobs.

So, my thought was to apply for a 60 Day tourist visa and find a job during that period of time in Thailand. When I found and secured a job for myself, I was going to make a border run (to Cambodia/Malaysia) and request a change of visa there so that I may obtain a Non-Immigrant B visa and a work permit for Thailand.

Today, I called the Thai Embassy in Washington, DC. I asked them if my plan (as described above) would work. They said no. They said I would have to return to the United States to apply for a Non-Immigrant B Visa. Is this the case? This seems so complicated and inefficient.

Could someone please confirm this for me? I am very confused and irritated. I don't want to have to stick around in the States until I find a Thai job-- and I don't want to afford the money or time required to return to the states to obtain a Non-Imm Visa. Help!! Thanks!

Sydney

No, it is not necessary to return to the U.S. to apply for or receive a Non-Immi "B" Visa. You will need a company to hire you and apply for a work permit, to receive a "B" visa within the region though, and it will most likely be a single entry for 90 days. No problem to enter on a Tourist Visa, just not allowed to work until you get the work permit.

You can arrive with a Tourist Visa and search for a job.

If you find one you can apply for a Work Permit in Thailand and visit a Thai Consul in a neighbouring country and apply for a Non Imm B Visa.

All providing you have the necessary paperwork from any employer.

Another question, that I forgot to ask in this forum is that under the 60 Day Tourist Visa, one must have proof of "round trip ticket or itinerary paid in full".

So how does one go about this? Can it be proof of itinerary to go to Cambodia by train/bus or something? Does it have to be proof of a return trip to the United States?

So many questions! Not enough answers!

The key is you can not obtain at a border crossing - you must have paperwork and apply at a Royal Thai Embassy/Consulate for the B visa.

You are aware that there are few jobs available in Thailand for foreigners without special skills and advanced degrees? It is not the place to go for casual job search.

Suggest you provide a bit of background for others to advise you on options better or expect to see the same caution from most posters.

Another question, that I forgot to ask in this forum is that under the 60 Day Tourist Visa, one must have proof of "round trip ticket or itinerary paid in full".

So how does one go about this? Can it be proof of itinerary to go to Cambodia by train/bus or something? Does it have to be proof of a return trip to the United States?

So many questions! Not enough answers!

It depends on what they require, where you are applying for the visa. A plane ticket to neighboring would be acceptable for visa exempt entry, so may be accepted by some consulates. If you have a valid visa, you do not need proof of onward travel.

I second Lopburis' advice on using caution in your plans, depending on education, experience, and Thai language skills, it may not be easy to get employment here.

Edited by beechguy

First of all, what kind of job are planning on having? Do you have a college degree or not? Why do you want to come here so bad? If no real reason then you have no purpose of coming here at all. No you can not work here at without a work permit. Depending on the job you might get the company may provide a service to obtain the work permit. If not, then it is a lot of paperwork to do on your own. If you are coming just as a tourist and just plan on staying it is better you don't come to Thailand. You make others foreigners who actually want to work here look bad. Come here without a plan and just think you stay and have one big holiday. I am from the states and been here about 7 years and love to work. Do you plan on learning the language? Want kind of lifestyle do want? A lot of jobs here don't pay that well. If you think you are going to earn a lot of money here, you should rethink of coming here. There is no Social Security here, health insurance is not that good, etc. Re-evaluate why you really want to come here.

Background Info: I am a 23 year old female and I am interested in teaching English to kinder-gardeners and would consider taking a TEFL course upon arrival if necessary. I have 2 years of full time nanny experience and a degree in philosophy.

So, Lopburi3, what you are saying is that if I arrived in Thailand on a Tourist Visa, and within the 60 day period I found a teaching job that wanted to hire me, could I stay in Thailand (i.e. NOT have to return to the United States) and apply at a Royal Thai Embassy for a change in visa from Tourist Visa to Non-Immigrant B Visa?

I am confused because the Thai Embassy in Washington DC essentially told me that I would have to return to the United States to apply for a Non-Immigrant B Visa.

Thanks for your help!

Sydney

The key is you can not obtain at a border crossing - you must have paperwork and apply at a Royal Thai Embassy/Consulate for the B visa.

You are aware that there are few jobs available in Thailand for foreigners without special skills and advanced degrees? It is not the place to go for casual job search.

Suggest you provide a bit of background for others to advise you on options better or expect to see the same caution from most posters.

Teaching is likely the best place to find employment so coming on a tourist visa (which can easily be extended 30 days) would be fine. Once employment is found you can then take paperwork to a Consulate like Vientiane or Kuala Lumpur and such to obtain a non immigrant B visa and enter for 90 days and then get work permit and extend your stay on a yearly basis. Pay is not likely to be very high but expenses should be low if your conservative in spending.

I have been wanting to move to Thailand for over a year now, and have done tons of research on the matter. I am just having an issue understanding the visa requirements. I have been applying for teaching jobs in Thailand for the past 6 months and have had little to no response. My thought was that it would be easier to find a teaching job if I went to Thailand and applied to schools in person. I feel I should note that I did not decide to move to Thailand on a whim-- I did tons of research before deciding upon moving to Thailand and felt that it would be the best place for me in terms of climate, teaching positions, and places to go hiking and exploring and sightseeing. I am not looking to party a year away in Thailand. I am simply looking for a new environment in which to live.

The WHOLE point of my initial post was to obtain a Non-Immigrant B Visa TO WORK. NOT to "stay and have one big holiday." I feel as if you did not read my post and merely jumped to conclusions. I am an upstanding member of society who is interested in participating in a new culture. Your reply to my post is quite accusatory in nature and I don't think that my initial post gave you any reason to respond in that manner.

I realize that you are trying to help, but it would be an even bigger help if you could provide me an answer to my questions, as I am having a really hard time figuring out Visas.

Sorry if I am coming off in a mean way, I just really need help with my question and I don't want other posters to get the wrong idea about my intentions and I feel that this post could potentially lead people off track. I hope you understand. Thanks!

Sydney

First of all, what kind of job are planning on having? Do you have a college degree or not? Why do you want to come here so bad? If no real reason then you have no purpose of coming here at all. No you can not work here at without a work permit. Depending on the job you might get the company may provide a service to obtain the work permit. If not, then it is a lot of paperwork to do on your own. If you are coming just as a tourist and just plan on staying it is better you don't come to Thailand. You make others foreigners who actually want to work here look bad. Come here without a plan and just think you stay and have one big holiday. I am from the states and been here about 7 years and love to work. Do you plan on learning the language? Want kind of lifestyle do want? A lot of jobs here don't pay that well. If you think you are going to earn a lot of money here, you should rethink of coming here. There is no Social Security here, health insurance is not that good, etc. Re-evaluate why you really want to come here.

Take the advice from Loburi and lite beer. You can get a Tourist Visa PLUS 2 reentries that would keep you here for 9 months including extensions on each entry which should give you plenty of time to secure employment. This is what i did when I first moved here. I have been on a non B for 3 years, and no you do not have to go back to the States to change your visa status. Whoever gave you that information in Washington gave you misinformation. What area of the States are you located in? If you are located on the East coast-there are consulates in New York, and Boston that can set you up with a Tourist visa.

Some one that wants to come here (like yourself) and experience a different culture does not give the rest of us a bad name. I have been living here going on 4 years, married with a lovely 2 year old boy. My wife and i are close in age meaning that i am not nearly old enough to be my wifes father.

I think that "onewaytohimm" with his/her 7 years experience here, knows full well the type of expat that gives the rest of us a bad name.

Chok dee OP!

As a female you'll have quite a good chance of securing a job teaching kids once you're here. Face to face recruitment is really the only way to go in Thailand. However, I would strongly recommend you get some form of TEFL certificate so you're not limited to kindergarten jobs. There are plenty of TEFL courses to do here (Bangkok) or, better still, do one in the US before you come.

As has already been advised, turn up on a Tourist Visa, find a reputable job and your employer will sort out the Non-Imm B and work permit. All you'll need t do is a quick hop over to Vientiene to get the visa once you have all the paperwork. Although, not strictly legal, you'll be able to start working while the work permit application process has started.

Good luck.

oneway2himm may be a bit harsh, but he does give you some thoughts to consider. make sure you do enough research to know what you are getting yourself into. Life can be great out here, but your expectations may not be met in certain areas.

I got a visa from the DC office a few years ago. Told them I was planning a train/bus trip to Malaysia and didn't have a return plane ticket to show. They gave me a visa.

Another possibility is to use the 30 day exemption for flying into Thailand. No need to mess with the consulate in DC. Just fly in. within the next 30 days you'll have to goto Vientiane or the likes to apply for 2 tourist visa, or if all goes well you'll already have found a job and have the necessary paperwork for the Non-Imm B.

like the others have said, teaching is probably the easiest, and at your age, maybe the only job you can get as an American. ( I'm assuming you don't have many years of any type of specialization...) There are a lot of "language schools" out here that will offer jobs to the newbies and travellers alike. If at all possible, try to stick with the REAL schools. they are established institutions that will usually follow the terms of the contract and possibly even pay you. - Same with your TEFL. make sure you are taking a class with a welll recognized institutions.

Lastly, Thailand is very open about "presentibility". Yes, that's an euphamism. You may be shocked by the application process where they will require you to include recent photos along with your resume/C.V. Its the norm, just something to get used to here. Looks do count, especially for female applicants.

Best of luck!

I have been wanting to move to Thailand for over a year now, and have done tons of research on the matter. I am just having an issue understanding the visa requirements. I have been applying for teaching jobs in Thailand for the past 6 months and have had little to no response. My thought was that it would be easier to find a teaching job if I went to Thailand and applied to schools in person. I feel I should note that I did not decide to move to Thailand on a whim-- I did tons of research before deciding upon moving to Thailand and felt that it would be the best place for me in terms of climate, teaching positions, and places to go hiking and exploring and sightseeing. I am not looking to party a year away in Thailand. I am simply looking for a new environment in which to live.

The WHOLE point of my initial post was to obtain a Non-Immigrant B Visa TO WORK. NOT to "stay and have one big holiday." I feel as if you did not read my post and merely jumped to conclusions. I am an upstanding member of society who is interested in participating in a new culture. Your reply to my post is quite accusatory in nature and I don't think that my initial post gave you any reason to respond in that manner.

I realize that you are trying to help, but it would be an even bigger help if you could provide me an answer to my questions, as I am having a really hard time figuring out Visas.

Sorry if I am coming off in a mean way, I just really need help with my question and I don't want other posters to get the wrong idea about my intentions and I feel that this post could potentially lead people off track. I hope you understand. Thanks!

Sydney

I have read your posts but I can't see anywhere that you say if you have ever visited here. I understand that you want to live here and work here but I think you will have such a culture shock.

Regarding securing a job how do you propose to find an emploter? You would need the employer to be able to speak English. Some language schools will prepare you for a TEFL course and may be able to get you a position but you will have to pay the school to study with them.

I would strongly suggest that you simply come over for a holiday first.

"There is no Social Security here, health insurance is not that good,..."

Your newness is showing.

Thai social security is alive and well.

They have a good health plan.

OP

Depending on the time of year you come here, there may be a few or many jobs available.

One benefit to finding a job by knocking on doors is that you get to see the place and ask questions about the school/work prior to accepting a position.

Good luck.

The WP process is that you go to the WP office and present all the documents, you are then given a receipt, this original document is required to assist you in getting a Non Immigrant B in a neighbouring country.

Why not come over and do some of the Summer camps that are available, try it first, see if you like the idea of teaching, as judging by your age you have not done much, see if you really like the country, the people and the culture. Bangkok is great, but go to the smaller towns and you will be in for a surprise, but if you do go there, you will get snapped up by the local schools.

Social Security is available if you and your employer do it properly, but think about your spending and save as much as you can, cause you might find that it is not all that it is cracked up to be. However, look on ajarn.com (the sandbox always look for summer camp teachers) and if you have a degree I know a reputable agency that can get you a job upcountry (not in Bangkok).