Volunteer English Teacher

Well if that is your photo as your avatar I would say you will last a week. Even working for free you need a work permit sir, not having one and getting caught is risky, posting your mug while asking about illegal activities is stupid, but then you didn't know or you wouldn't be asking would you! So i suggest you change your avatar if it is you, then ask again lol. :o

I have done a couple of "Guest Spots", its good fun. Go with a theme, and stay with the theme, keep them interested and responsive.

I just kept the topic the same as the industry classification on my Work Permit.

Its really nice as the schools really appreciate someone coming and "Giving Back" to the community.

I was told if you do stuff completely free for a Government school, then the Director of the school can get a letter that means you don't have to have a WP. I can't remember the details.

Perhaps the law requires a work permit for volunteer teaching but in practice it is my opinion that it is not required. I taught as a volunteer and had no work permit as do many many volunteer teachers at the same school. I've never heard of anyone having work permit problems while volunteer teaching. If someone here has experienced this I would like to hear about it.

:D Just make sure that you have someone in a position of influence (Head Teacher, or even the abbot of the local Wat) prepared to support your activities should any 'curious' uniformed person (usually the police) starts asking questions.

I have taught occasionally for 'free', but in practice the Thais are such a generous people they will 'pay' you with the most magnificent food, and even on occasions the odd traditional present.

My 30-day tourist visa was just fine! And I was teaching at a BMA Government primary school to both children, and later a group of Thai teachers!

Good luck, and enjoy the experience!

Laulen :o

I did a weekly television programme called " Knock Door English" last year. It was good fun. I taught the Samlo, Tuk-tuk and motorcycle taxi drivers basic English in front of the TV camera's (not Thai visa)I also taught the Police basic English before the Elephant festival last year, so they could interact with the thousands of Falang tourists it brings. My only reward was to receive a plaque from the Governor of Surin for services to the City. In fact it was at the annual awards ceremony, and to my horror I was first on the list to receive the trophy. I like to think everyone else copied my protocol.

DidI use the right word there?

Edited by lampard10

I did a weekly television programme called " Knock Door English" last year. It was good fun. I taught the Samlo, Tuk-tuk and motorcycle taxi drivers basic English in front of the TV camera's (not Thai visa)I also taught the Police basic English before the Elephant festival last year, so they could interact with the thousands of Falang tourists it brings. My only reward was to receive a plaque from the Governor of Surin for services to the City. In fact it was at the annual awards ceremony, and to my horror I was first on the list to receive the trophy. I like to think everyone else copied my protocol.

DidI use the right word there?

Out of curiosity, was a work permit required for this work?

Agrred: the OP did not ask about working illegally.

As I believe it, working under any situation without a work permit is not legal here. That’s not the same as saying you will get caught for doing it.

If this is not so why was all the fuss made over the voluntary workers helping after the disaster in Puket and places? They had volunteered there time for free but where told to get a permit or face a poss. fine or up to 3 yrs in prison if memory serves me correctly. Was this not so? If the OP wants to do a good deed by helping Thai kids out, then good on him, but if he will be breaking the law by doing so he should know that in advance then he can choose to do so or not, knowingly. If Thai imm. do check this site out, saying you will be doing a no no with a picture of your face in your avatar is a wee bit risky imo.

:o

Its really nice as the schools really appreciate someone coming and "Giving Back" to the community.

Yes I agree. I do not attend the school but spend a lot of time helping students with their 'English' homework. (Although some of you may think that's a contradiction in terms looking at the quality of my English in some posts).

TW teaches 4 or 5 hrs a week in the Govt. school as a community service. This gives us both a very good rapoure with the villagers and senior authorities as well as a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Edited by bdenner

Yes I agree. I do not attend the school but spend a lot of time helping students with their 'English' homework. (Although some of you may think that's a contradiction in terms looking at the quality of my English in some posts).

TW teaches 4 or 5 hrs a week in the Govt. school as a community service. This gives us both a very good rapoure with the villagers and senior authorities as well as a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Out of curiosity, were work permits required for this activity? Did the gov't school provied TW with a work permit?....do they care?...do the villagers or senior authorities in the village care?...I mean care about a work permit.

Most areas outside of large cities wont care, if the school has a good connection you wont get a problem, but i do believe legaly you are required to get a permit. Personaly i have little respect for laws in a country rife with corruption but if you plan to break those laws you should know that's what your doing, then you can decide if you care or not for yourself. Helping Thai kids with their English is a good thing for them and the future of Thailand, and anyone helping them out is a good soul for doing it. I am not trying to be negative to these good deeds i just feel people should know that if they are unlucky they can expect the law to come down on them.

Most areas outside of large cities wont care, if the school has a good connection you wont get a problem, but i do believe legaly you are required to get a permit. Personaly i have little respect for laws in a country rife with corruption but if you plan to break those laws you should know that's what your doing, then you can decide if you care or not for yourself. Helping Thai kids with their English is a good thing for them and the future of Thailand, and anyone helping them out is a good soul for doing it. I am not trying to be negative to these good deeds i just feel people should know that if they are unlucky they can expect the law to come down on them.

Out of curiosity, were work permits required for this activity?  Did the gov't school provied TW with a work permit?....do they care?...do the villagers or senior authorities in the village care?...I mean care about a work permit.

TW with a work permit? Don't know that Thais need em. The people around me realy care and would be disappointed if I didn't help. Front row seats at all the local functions with the officialdom would no longer exist. Most have no idea about WP's and don't care. Besides I do it from home. Edited by bdenner

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at this website, http://www.doe.go.th/workpermit/english.html, the Thai govt OFFICE OF FOREIGN WORKERS ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF EMPLOYMENT, MINISTRY OF LABOUR defines work as:

WORK : the engagement in work by exerting energy or using knowledge for purpose of obtaining wages or other benefits.

So as long as you don't do what your doing for the PURPOSE of obtaining wages or other benefits, you should be ok.

So if I was to do this, just because I want to help Thai people because I love Thailand, then according to the law, I am ok.

Does that sound right?

There are undoubtedly a multitude of laws regarding this. Check em all before relying on one... They can get contradictory.

I used to train english to the National Police Academy in Nakhom Pathom twice a week for free. The grammar in the previous sentence is wrong.

:o

When I finally quit working I also would like to try to teach basic English and also some computing skills in the school near me.

I live right out in the country about 400 km from Bangkok and I don't remember the last time I saw the local police around here except at the Kings birthday fair in the village in December every year.

I will follow this thread as it seems useful and sensible.

Looking at this website, http://www.doe.go.th/workpermit/english.html, the Thai govt OFFICE OF FOREIGN WORKERS ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF EMPLOYMENT, MINISTRY OF LABOUR defines work as:

WORK : the engagement in work by exerting energy or using knowledge for purpose of obtaining wages or other benefits.

Richard

Good for you. You certainly have the question logically nailed.

Obtain no wages or benefits and it is not work. OK

But in Thailand, logic does not count for much quite often.

You can put this regulation website in the face of a policeman,

or some Gov't official and he will just stare into space as he puts

handcuffs on you. I am not being flippant here. Just be warned

that being in the right is not enough here sometimes.

I like the earlier suggestion of getting the confirmed support of the

number 1 person at the place you are volunteeing ... and getting

it in writing; a simple one page statement of acknowledgement.

I would also take that to the local police and have them endorse it.

Just a suggestion.

It is silly, sad and true that one has to worry about breaking the

law when doing a purely good deed. But I think that is the way it is.

Good luck.

So as long as you don't do what your doing for the PURPOSE of obtaining wages or other benefits, you should be ok.

So if I was to do this, just because I want to help Thai people because I love Thailand, then according to the law, I am ok.

Does that sound right?

No it's wrong mate. You need a WP legally.

When work is defined as the engagement in work by exerting energy or using knowledge for purpose of obtaining wages or other benefits, and a person does something by exerting energy or knowledge, but not for the purpose of obtaining wages or other benefits, why would that person need a work permit?

People who don't drive a car don't need a drivers license. Those who don't leave the country don't need a passport. So why should people who do not fall under the legal definition of work need a work permit?

Which part of the Thai government is responsible for prosecuting farangs who break the law? Perhaps that is the office where I should seek clarity from. There seem to be many different opinions on the subject.

It is quite confusing,

On one webpage, http://www.doe.go.th/workpermit/english.html, work is defined as the engagement in work by exerting energy or using knowledge for purpose of obtaining wages or other benefits.

On the same site on another page, http://www.doe.go.th/workpermit/aliens_act.html, it is defined as to engage in work by exerting energy or using knowledge whether or not in consideration of wages or other benefit. This definition looks more legal than the first because it is included in the WORKING OF ALIENS ACT,B.E. 2521 (1978).

I can see why some people have different opinions on the subject.

I do a bit of voluntary work for the local army. Then again do I get anything in return? Sure, so maybe it isn't voluntary. All part of helping the community

that is a big part of Thai society.

How many teachers doing voluntary work have been done by the Dept. of labour?

So it is the law, remember this is Thailand, not wearing a bike helmet is illegal, as is prostitution, etc etc etc.

I don't worry about this in the slightest.

Not any cons, as far as I can see.

I've taught English as a volunteer twice in public elementary school in Bangkok. In one case I worked with an experienced organization that places people and the other directly with the school. No WP required – the school was always super happy just to see me show up! Also very familiar with an NGO with an office in Bangkok that places volunteers from US, UK, etc. in teaching and other positions and to the best of my knowledge WP’s are not required.

I will say it was one of the most challenging yet rewarding things I’ve ever done. The kids were great, the other teachers very welcoming – just fantastic.

It is quite confusing,

On one webpage, http://www.doe.go.th/workpermit/english.html, work is defined as the engagement in work by exerting energy or using knowledge for purpose of obtaining wages or other benefits.

On the same site on another page, http://www.doe.go.th/workpermit/aliens_act.html, it is defined as to engage in work by exerting energy or using knowledge whether or not in consideration of wages or other benefit. This definition looks more legal than the first because it is included in the WORKING OF ALIENS ACT,B.E. 2521 (1978).

I can see why some people have different opinions on the subject.

Mate I'm not sure this is getting through. You 100% need a WP if you're volunteer teaching here regardless of if you're getting paid. This isn't what I think, or have assumed it's a fact....simple as that! Legally you need a WP, but you may well 'get away' with it without...that's a 'risk' you take.

Mate I'm not sure this is getting through. You 100% need a WP if you're volunteer teaching here regardless of if you're getting paid. This isn't what I think, or have assumed it's a fact....simple as that! Legally you need a WP, but you may well 'get away' with it without...that's a 'risk' you take.

How are you so sure? Who told you?

They don't always tell the truth, you know.

Have you ever heard of anyone getting nabbed for this?

The school next door to me has some mormans or some other kind of idiots trying to convert the Thais, through the pretence of teaching them English. Should I tell the local police to lock them all up? Seriously, they make the real teachers look bad, not doing it for free.

I know as it's the LAW mate, as per some of the links Richard gave. My lawyer friend who I've never known to be wrong has also confirmed it as has the Lop etc. on here in the past.

I don't know anyone that's been nabbed for it, but then I don't know everyone.

Lawfully you need one though, argue all you like it won't change this.

Yeah if you're in to grassing up people you most likely could get them in to trouble....not really my cup of tea though (I'm more of a live and let live kind of guy!).

Probably not the police you need to speak to rather Immigration or the Labor Dept.