New Camera Time

quiksilva

HELP!!!

My wife and I decided that its time to upgrade our ancient P&S. I want something which I can play with a little and delve a little deeper into the art of photography, BUT we don't want a bulky DSLR, we want to be able to take it anywhere and it should be simple enough that my wife can happily snap away without thinking about it too much.

Pictures where you can 'freeze motion' as my young son is in full run, has a lot of appeal to me (he never stops moving), but low light pics are also important.

Budget should be less than 30K, cheaper the better if it meets all the above stated requirements.

I have looked at the GF1, NEX5 (but hate Sony on principal), and Olympus PL1. However, I'm also weighing these up against the S95 or the G11.

I have read reviews of them all and they all seem really good. I have also held each, and am still struggling to make a decision.

Any views on these?

Canon Powershot S90 or S95.

Really good little cameras with full control, great low light capability too with the F2 lens at 28mm.

And very small.

I have the S90, I also have an EOS 40D that I now very rarely use as the small Canon goes everywhere with me.

Edited by sillyman99

Yeah the S90 / S95 looks really nice, any reason for choosing that over say the G11 / G12?

BTW I spoke to Canon this afternoon who told me that the G12 and S95 will launch in Thailand during the middle of next month.

You can fit the S90 in your jeans pocket easily is a big plus.

The S90 lens is faster than the G11.

Heres a link you may enjoy.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1010&message=33322174&changemode=1

the new Canon Powershot S95.. :thumbsup: . . none of the other high end compacts come close..

see my recent thread on it in this very forum... :)

low light is amazing with its f/2.0 lens.. i love mine to bits...

Ken Rockwell calls it the 'worlds best pocket camera' in his review .here.

• Like 1

the new Canon Powershot S95.. :thumbsup: . . none of the other high end compacts come close..

see my recent thread on it in this very forum... :)

low light is amazing with its f/2.0 lens.. i love mine to bits...

Ken Rockwell calls it the 'worlds best pocket camera' in his review .here.

Good info, Goshawk. As much as I like my big Nikon 200D the one drawback is its size I don't want to carry it all the time everywhere I go. But, I hate being without a camera. You just never know what you might see on any given day. Three days ago I was playing a big salmon on a BC river. There were two black bears across from me, another behind me and a sudden heavy rain shower turned the water into silver bubbles. Had I not being playing the big salmon I would have pulled out my little waterproof point and shoot and taken a photo. I later thought I should have broken off the fish just to get the picture when it happened.

Also consider Panasonic LX5

its an ok looking camera & i pondered that particular model myself.. but in many ways, it just doesn't compete with the Canon S95 at all.

here's what

(& friend) had to say on them both in a head-to-head type comparison...

its an ok looking camera & i pondered that particular model myself.. but in many ways, it just doesn't compete with the Canon S95 at all.

here's what

Thanks for the connection, Goshawk. That was an interesting discussion. It seems like the video focusing system is better on the LX5 but the S95 is more compact. Quality of photos seems to be equal. So, it boils down to what you might find most useful.

It's like I've always said about boats... there is NO one model that suits all purposes. I spend a LOT of time around water... in and out of rivers and taking photos in the rain. I've drowned more good cameras than I care to mention. I also like to do video, and just last March I managed to drop my $2000 Sony camcorder into a Thai lake. Because of the exposed electronics it was a total loss. That is why I have a nice little Pentax W30. But, the upgraded Pentax W90 has a few great new features. It can focus on subjects within 1 cm of the lens because it has a special circle light around the lens. It can take high D video and is good for under water photos down to 20 feet or more. I also have a friend with the Canon under water point and shoot camera. It takes excellent photos in all sorts of conditions.

I've drowned more good cameras than I care to mention. I also like to do video, and just last March I managed to drop my $2000 Sony camcorder into a Thai lake. Because of the exposed electronics it was a total loss.

a feeling i know well.. i unfortunately & accidently happened to give a fairly expensive (at the time) Fuji digital camera some impromptu swimming lessons off Ko Larn a few years ago..

I can still clearly hear my shrieks of... arrrrrrghhh ! dammit & bugger !! resonating around the Gulf of Thailand every time i've ventured down that way since.... :(

Yeah I just found the LX5 too... it also looks like a really nice camera.. grrr decisions decisions, Im going to have a face a fair few more trips to the shops once they get them all in.

The LX5 is a great camera, as is the older LX3.

I went for the S90 because its small enough to fit into any pocket, hence I use it more than I would a bigger camera as its no hardship carrying it around.

I think I'd be happy with any of the above cameras, if size wasn't a problem, I'd carry round my 40D instead. smile.gif

Good luck with your choice, you'll not be disappointed with any of the cameras you have in mind.

LX3/5 and S90/95 are good little cameras (i have an LX3); but a Micro 4/3s camera such as the Panasonic GF1 or the Olympus EPL-1 offers better IQ and a much higher level of flexibility. Not only can you use any of the M4/3 lenses, but with an adapter you can attach a wide range of classic lenses (Leica, Contax etc). Fun photography!

LX3/5 and S90/95 are good little cameras (i have an LX3); but a Micro 4/3s camera such as the Panasonic GF1 or the Olympus EPL-1 offers better IQ and a much higher level of flexibility. Not only can you use any of the M4/3 lenses, but with an adapter you can attach a wide range of classic lenses (Leica, Contax etc). Fun photography!

So you may as well have a DSLR ?

The beauty of the S90 is, it fits in your jeans / shirt pocket.

The LX3, a great camera, a legendary compact, cannot fit in my jeans/ shirt pocket.

I really thought about the panasonic, its great, I went with the S90 because of its size. smile.gif

Edited by sillyman99

The LX3, a great camera, a legendary compact, cannot fit in my jeans/ shirt pocket.

I really thought about the panasonic, its great, I went with the S90 because of its size. smile.gif

The m43 cameras are more flexible and much smaller than any dslr. They have largely replaced dslr in Olympus's range and completely in Panasonic's.

The m43 cameras are more flexible and much smaller than any dslr. They have largely replaced dslr in Olympus's range and completely in Panasonic's.

Exactly. You could turn the argument around and say "you might as well have a M43"! The flexibility of a DSLR, excellent image quality, and a lot less weight. They are not so good for action photography, but for everything else they are ideal. I have a Canon 1D, but I have more fun shooting with my GF1.

Exactly. You could turn the argument around and say "you might as well have a M43"! The flexibility of a DSLR, excellent image quality, and a lot less weight. They are not so good for action photography, but for everything else they are ideal. I have a Canon 1D, but I have more fun shooting with my GF1.

Yes they are very good cameras but they won't fit in your jeans pocket.

Yes they are very good cameras but they won't fit in your jeans pocket.

"Must fit in a jeans pocket" was not a requirement from the OP; he wanted "to be able to take it anywhere". My wife carries her M4/3 in her handbag, and I have mine in a small bag slung over my shoulder. I can carry the camera and four lenses; and they weigh very little.

"Must fit in a jeans pocket" was not a requirement from the OP; he wanted "to be able to take it anywhere". My wife carries her M4/3 in her handbag, and I have mine in a small bag slung over my shoulder. I can carry the camera and four lenses; and they weigh very little.

You were commenting on Sillymans post, and he clearly states he chose the S90 cos it fits in his jeans pocket.

I'm sure you're all happy with whatever equipment you have, the cameras mentioned in this thread are all well documented excellent cameras.

Now if only we were all good photographers. biggrin.gif

Edited by GM1955
  • Like 1

Hi everyone, thanks for all your replies I eventually ended up pulling the trigger on an Olympus EP1. (Quite a bit better than the EPL 1which has a very cheap plasticky feel, this has a metal body with brushed aluminium finish.

The deal was frankly too good to turn down. It was the two lens kit, with an optical view finder, flash, case, 4g sd card, plus lens cleaner etc. All thrown in for THB 33,000 from Powerbuy.

Its a really nice camera, the size is just fine, a little smaller than a DSLR, but definitely bigger than a compact. In fact I had almost settled on the S95 but I couldnt walk away from that deal.

Very happy so far. Auto mode is fine and easy to use. It produces some nice results, but have set myself the goal to learn how to use it properly. So far only really worked out that my f2.8 pancake produces a blurred background with the lowest f setting.. not really understood much about ISO yet, other than its used for low light but can produce noise

It was the two lens kit, with an optical view finder, flash, case, 4g sd card, plus lens cleaner etc. All thrown in for THB 33,000 from Powerbuy.

good deal that... and a nice choice with the E-P1

be interesting to see a few pics..

The E-PL1 is meant to be functionally a bit better and also supports the plug in viewfinder.. And it has a flash..

I'm contemplating a Lumix.. Probably a G2.. Wanted the FZ100, but too many people are unhappy with the image quality..

Yeah I liked the EPL-1's easy to use interface, really dumbed things down for me (as Im a beginner that was attractive) little items like a sliding scale on the amount of blur needed in the background etc.

The EP1 does not have this functionality, but I can learn how to do that manually (and think I should) and besides the build quality and looks are much better.

It was this at the end of the day that clinched it. I held both in my hands and EPL1's easier menu did not compensate for its plastic body vs the EP1's metal case and brushed aluminium finish.

Edited by quiksilva

here's what

Thanks for the connection, Goshawk. That was an interesting discussion. It seems like the video focusing system is better on the LX5 but the S95 is more compact. Quality of photos seems to be equal. So, it boils down to what you might find most useful.

It's like I've always said about boats... there is NO one model that suits all purposes. I spend a LOT of time around water... in and out of rivers and taking photos in the rain. I've drowned more good cameras than I care to mention. I also like to do video, and just last March I managed to drop my $2000 Sony camcorder  into a Thai lake. Because of the exposed electronics it was a total loss. That is why I have a nice little Pentax W30. But, the upgraded Pentax W90 has a few great new features. It can focus on subjects within 1 cm of the lens because it has a special circle light around the lens. It can take high D video and is good for under water photos down to 20 feet or more. I also have a friend with the Canon under water point and shoot camera. It takes excellent photos in all sorts  of conditions.

How about a Sony TX5? Water/dust/shock proof, good reviews and the prices are down with widespread availability now.