3 Pin 5A Circuit Plugs And Sockets In Thailand?

Marvo

Hi DIYers,

Anyone know where I can get my hands on 3 pin 5A plugs and sockets for a table lamp circuit I'm putting in. The circuit will be controlled by a dimmer so I need a non-standard plug/socket for the lamps so that no big appliances get plugged into the lamp sockets and blow the dimmer.

Any suggestions for a (cheap!) Thai solution as I can't find anywhere a smaller plug/socket combination available, other than standard Thai/American.

Cheers,

Marvo

Edited by Marvo

The lampsockets should be BC or ES. the flex lead to the dimmer should be 0.75/1.0 sqmm.

The lead should have a 10amp plug top which plugs into an existing 10 amp socket outlet.

The lampsockets are connected on the load side of the dimmer.

The dimmer should not be connected to the fixed wiring controlling a 10 amp socket outlet.

Edited by electau

Electau, that's why he wants some BS546 outlets, to stop someone plugging in their welder :)

Anyway, no I've not seen them in Thailand, plenty here in Incredible India (but they won't fit Thai back boxes).

You could pick up some UK (BS1363) outlets and plugs in Malaysia (you may even be able to get BS 546 outlets there, I've never looked), again they won't fit Thai boxes.

RS Thailand do supply BS 546 plugs and sockets (as well as Oz/NZ style), but the prices are scary (cheaper to go to Malaysia).

Alternatively, a hunt round Chinatown or NPE (Rangsit) should net you some mains rated plug / socket pairs intended for pro audio equipment, these mounted on a plain backplate would also do the trick. Obviously, ensure that the female part is connected to the mains and that you protect the circuit with a suitably rated breaker. Something like this (from Bulgin 3A @ 250V)

R449269-02.jpg

would be ideal.

Why have the 5A plugs? Fit the dimmer as part of the light fitting and supply with a 10A lead and plug top. The dimmer is between the plug top and the light fitting.

I think he wants to control several lights from one central dimmer, like you would in a home-theatre environment.

Anyway, we should not question why he want to do it, just suggest safe means to achieve his goal :)

Why have the 5A plugs? Fit the dimmer as part of the light fitting and supply with a 10A lead and plug top. The dimmer is between the plug top and the light fitting.

I think he wants to control several lights from one central dimmer, like you would in a home-theatre environment.

Anyway, we should not question why he want to do it, just suggest safe means to achieve his goal :)

That's right. 4 lamps on the wall mounted dimmer switch. I checked RS is Thailand and OUCH! you're right, - not cheap!

I think I'm going to have to wire the lamp flexes directly through a hole drilled in a blank plate on the socket facia and maybe put an in-line connector in the flex to allow disconnection.

I think I'm going to have to wire the lamp flexes directly through a hole drilled in a blank plate on the socket facia and maybe put an in-line connector in the flex to allow disconnection.

I would avoid wiring it this way.

It would not be permitted under the UK regs (and probably Oz too) as a means of local isolation must be provided for any flexible cables (the plug and socket combination would do it normally) so you can quickly isolate if the cable gets damaged. An in-line connector would not meet UK regs.

I would go with the miniature connectors that I showed earlier, not expensive if you got to Chinatown. I'd also include a fuse in the backplate as belt and braces.