Bank Letter For Oa Extension

You will not have a problem. The letter is good for a year.

Barry

You're confusing embassy letter with bank letter, I think. Bank letters need to be very fresh as they show current bank balance. If they are at all stale, immigration justifiably suspects that the numbers no longer match -- letter/bank book.

thanks for the information, i'm in chiang mai. a friend of mine had a problem with immigration a couple of years ago with the bank letter not being "fresh" enough. trouble is, immigration only processes about 40 - 50 oa visas per day and if you don't get in early you're out of luck. i like the idea of going to an atm on monday morning with a balance slip. i can't see why they wouldn't accept that.

The requirement is a bank letter so the ATM slip is only an additional proof if they want. I expect an over weekend will not be a problem and having the additional ATM slip would not hurt.

But wanted to point out it is an extension of stay for retirement; not an OA visa which can only be obtained outside of Thailand in country of residence.

You will not have a problem. The letter is good for a year.

Barry

An embassy income letter is often good for 1 year or the year it is issued in. Don't confuse it with a bank letter confirming your balance, that is only valid for a few days.

The "embassy letter" is not "good" for a year...it is good for getting a 1-year extension of your visa for retirement purposes. Most immigration offices want it to be dated within a week or so of when you submit your extension application (or renewal). Up until a couple years ago, the Jomtien/Pattaya office would allow you to use the same letter for two years (so the letter was "good" for 2 years/extensions) but now they too require a "fresh" letter each year.

Again depends which Immigration Office you are using, This year Embassy letter was over 2 months old - (Brit Embassy closed in May!)

My Bangkok Bank letter was a few days old too, some of us live a few miles away from our banks!, plus some banks want a few days to prep it for you.

ATM statements are only good for those with Debit cards etc, my retirement cash is in a fixed account and no card is available.

Bank counter withdrawal, only and it would be in the passbook.

This is in Phitsanulok Immigration, a 450 km round trip so I spend a few days preparing all my paperwork before going!

Again depends which Immigration Office you are using, This year Embassy letter was over 2 months old - (Brit Embassy closed in May!)

My Bangkok Bank letter was a few days old too, some of us live a few miles away from our banks!, plus some banks want a few days to prep it for you.

ATM statements are only good for those with Debit cards etc, my retirement cash is in a fixed account and no card is available.

This is in Phitsanulok Immigration, a 450 km round trip so I spend a few days preparing all my paperwork before going!

i asked the lady at the canadian consulate how long the proof of income letter was "good for". she said that chiang mai immigration would accept it for about one month.

I went to Immigration in Bangkok last Monday to get another extension on my Retirement Visa. My letter and my passbook was updated on the previous Friday. It is hard to believe but I had to leave Immigration and go to SCB and deposit funds (or take out funds) to reflect the day I was at the Immigration office. The letter was OK being three days old. I think the passbook would have been OK if it was dated the previous day.

So many answers, I wonder if the OP may be a tad confused.

As with most things to do with Visa'a and Extensions, I've found over the last 3 years and 2 different offices, re this "Bank Letter"...... The best thing to do in my case was to telephone the office concerned if you feel you want a bit of time up your sleeve to present this document.

If you have a Thai partner, maybe have them make the call for you and explain the circumstance. For memory, the last time the officer even gave my wife her name should there be a problem on the day.

I've found with Korat and Khon Kaen, a few days grace is no problem at all.

If you have a savings a/c at BBL you can have a Be1st Visa debit card, and also link your fixed account to the card - you will be able to see the balance at an ATM.. You can also make deposits into your fixed account by transferring from the savings a/c.

ATM slips don't usually show the full account name, so I wouldn't rely on this method. But printing out from Internet banking will give an up-to-date view of an account -maybe that would work.

I went to Immigration in Bangkok last Monday to get another extension on my Retirement Visa. My letter and my passbook was updated on the previous Friday. It is hard to believe but I had to leave Immigration and go to SCB and deposit funds (or take out funds) to reflect the day I was at the Immigration office. The letter was OK being three days old. I think the passbook would have been OK if it was dated the previous day.

Last November I went to the new Chaeng Wattana ofice with my bank letter dated the previous day. They had me go to my bank's local branch (fortunately there was one) in the basement floor and deposit 100 Bahts to refresh my passbook. Of course, by then the amount in my passbook differed from the bank letter by 100 Baht but that's what they wanted.

I always thought a fix account was not OK.

Does somebody know for sure ?

Immigration most of the time will give you grief if they get any negativity from you. If you go in, smile, look helpful and willing to answer any question you will never have a problem. Even if they knock it back keep smiling, look disappointed and 'ask' their assistance in the matter. Little bit of brown nosing goes a long way. With the ATM and certified deposit of funds the onus is on the 90 days prior to the presentation and you need the letter of confirmation from the bank. Within 7 days is acceptable as the funds should/would have been there for the 90 days prior thus an ATM printout on the morning accompanied by the bank letter etc, all good. Also note, if you can take away the decision process with any public servant, the problems always go away. You just have to think one step ahead.

BTW: A passbook will definitely not work. It must be a letter from the Bank.

They insist on seeing the Bank Passbook as well as the letter stating the balance for the past 3 months has not dipped below B800,000 (for retirement extension if not using marriage certificate which is too much trouble)the letter also shows the average balance over the past 3 months also. In my case HSBC dispensed with passbooks years ago which Immigration accept, but if your bank has passbooks you need copies for the last 3 months. Bank letter and passbook should be dated the same day as you go to immigration according to the Law. I downloaded the letter request form from HSBC's web site and send it to them in a week in advance stating the morning I wanted to collect. I then drove to HSBC on Tuesday 21st a.m. picked up the letter and 3 month bank statements, and proceeded to Chaengwattana Immigration ( I live in Bangkok - Check your area for correct immigration office). I then queued in immigration, paid the B1900 and got my visa stamped for 1 year and 1 month ( due to having 3 month extension with 1 month to go. This is better than the old days when it was back dated for Marriage visa.

If you do not have the passbook and letter dated the same day there is an office of most banks in the basement of Chaengwattana Government Complex, where you can get it.

Please note that it all depends on the officer you see, in the true tradition of "TIT" the land of all possibilities, you may be lucky and the officer may turn a blind eye to your letter being out of date, but don't count on it.

I've kept B800,000 minimum in the HSBC Bank for past 3 years so I do not have the hassle of explaining where the money comes from. My actual earnings are from the Thai Stock Exchange, but immigration will not accept B20 Million as proof that I can support myself(TIT), it must be in a Thai based bank.

Estrada

Get a balance printout from ATM on monday just before u go to immigration

So long as the printout shows the same balance as the bank letter

Last November I went to the new Chaeng Wattana ofice with my bank letter dated the previous day. They had me go to my bank's local branch (fortunately there was one) in the basement floor and deposit 100 Bahts to refresh my passbook. Of course, by then the amount in my passbook differed from the bank letter by 100 Baht but that's what they wanted.

grantbkk:I wouldn't risk the bank letter being more than three days old. I also prefer to wait on the day at the bank rather than come back the next day for the letter.

jayceenik: Am I missing something? Where's the logic here?

Get a balance printout from ATM on monday just before u go to immigration

So long as the printout shows the same balance as the bank letter

grantbkk:I wouldn't risk the bank letter being more than three days old. I also prefer to wait on the day at the bank rather than come back the next day for the letter.

jayceenik: Am I missing something? Where's the logic here?

I think that jayceenik means that, when you deposit say 100 baht, all possible movements in between will be printed too in the passbook.

I just went on September 12, 2010 and the second (review)lady made me go downstairs to Bangkok Bank and deposit 100 baht and then get my passbook updated there. Note: When I tried to update it via the ATM type machine it did not register the newly added 100 baht and I had to go into the bank branch (also available in the building) to get them to update it.

My bank letter was dated the day before. The reason the review lady didn't like my bankbook was that even though it was up to date it didn't show any recent activity until I added the 100 baht. My last withdrawal was from September 2, 2010 for 10,000 baht. Ten days prior. I gather I could have withdrawn 100 baht and then gotten my bankbook updated and they would also have been happy. Also - I asked the review lady if she also wanted me to get her a new copy of my bankbook last page but she said she would do it.

Best to just go there with your bankbook (and bank letter) showing recent activity and a balance dated the day of or day before.

There are other bank branches in the building but I don't know which ones also have passbook update machines. In case you were wondering the receipt I received after depositing the 100 baht did not contain my balance.