Medical Insurance

kenny999

One word of advice. Look at the actual policy to see what it doesn't cover. Most policies have things hidden away deep inside all the fine print and they often will say they don't pay for pre-existing conditions. That is normal, but when they tell you that sometimes after two years coverage, they will wave the pre-existing condition, or an operation, and then if you read on in the policy it will tell you that you have to have held the policy at least five years before you can maybe be covered.

Don't believe what the agent tells you. They are making money on this and will enhance the benefits to try and make a quick sale.

I am in a dispute now with insurance coverage from HCI out of England, and am fighting their decision not to cover me on an emergency operation.

One word of advice. Look at the actual policy to see what it doesn't cover. Most policies have things hidden away deep inside all the fine print and they often will say they don't pay for pre-existing conditions. That is normal, but when they tell you that sometimes after two years coverage, they will wave the pre-existing condition, or an operation, and then if you read on in the policy it will tell you that you have to have held the policy at least five years before you can maybe be covered.

Don't believe what the agent tells you. They are making money on this and will enhance the benefits to try and make a quick sale.

I am in a dispute now with insurance coverage from HCI out of England, and am fighting their decision not to cover me on an emergency operation.

Cheers for the Info have been looking but it's a minefield, hopefully someone will have Insurance and tell me what they get etc

I'm retired, live in Chiang Mai, and I currently have insurance with two companies. The first is Muang Thai, which I've had for a little over two years now.. With them I have health and hospitalization insurance that has always covered me exactly as it said it would. It not only pays for the hospitalization, but also pays me 1,000 baht a day for each day I'm admitted into the hospital.

The second is with New York Life, and with them I have Life insurance. I have a 1 million baht policy, with my adopted Thai son as beneficiary. Monthly premiums are very reasonable, and every 5 years I get 150,000 baht back if I want it.

If you want more details, send me a pm and I can give you the names and contact information for my agents, whom I just love.

Just1Voice must be paying huge premiums if they can offer 150,000 Bt payback.

OP. What age are you? I ask because some companies won't start to cover you if you are over a certain age, some will let you start a policy but won't cover you past a certain age. BUPA will cover you indefinately if you commence their policy before age 60. Naturally the premiums go up.

All companies will rule out pre-existing conditions, though some may cancel this exclusion for certain conditions after a period without recurrences.

I mention BUPA as a consideration because you may find the premiums here lower than in your home couuntry and it provides worldwide cover (Except in the USA. Use any hospital abroad, get a receipt and doctor's letter and BUPA will reimburse you. The amount will depend on your level of cover.

I would add that, for me, what is important is the freedom from worry. I hope I never need to claim, get my 10% discount every year, but at least I know someor all of the bill will be paid and the hospital will treat me without wantting to see cash/credit card upfront.

I know what you mean about reading loads of websites, it is a minefield, I leeked at several companies here. Took me two years to decide.

Once you get good medical cover do not let it lapse otherwise you will have to start with a new medical check which may show up a pre existing condition which you did not have when you first started. BUPA has always been OK for me & they have many different levels of cover.

You will have to check yourself the cost of the policy varies by age and how much cover you want.

You also need to read the policy to find out what some company's exclude,having your tonsils or appendix removed as examples.

After checking out different company's we went with SCB who have there own insurance company, salaried staff do the policy

so there is no commission involved and there price was quite a lot better than the opposition for equal policy's.

I now also insure my car with them and get better cover for the same price as other company's.

In future all my insurance business will be with SCB, i cannot be bothered checking other company's as there price is equal or better anyway.

OP. What age are you? I ask because some companies won't start to cover you if you are over a certain age, some will let you start a policy but won't cover you past a certain age. BUPA will cover you indefinately if you commence their policy before age 60. Naturally the premiums go up.

All companies will rule out pre-existing conditions, though some may cancel this exclusion for certain conditions after a period without recurrences.

I mention BUPA as a consideration because you may find the premiums here lower than in your home couuntry and it provides worldwide cover (Except in the USA. Use any hospital abroad, get a receipt and doctor's letter and BUPA will reimburse you. The amount will depend on your level of cover.

I would add that, for me, what is important is the freedom from worry. I hope I never need to claim, get my 10% discount every year, but at least I know someor all of the bill will be paid and the hospital will treat me without wantting to see cash/credit card upfront.

I know what you mean about reading loads of websites, it is a minefield, I leeked at several companies here. Took me two years to decide.

For what it's worth: I have been with BUPA Thailand for about 5 years and had a few minor health issues over that time. I have found them helpful, fair and accommodating over the years.

Edited by fstarbkk

My monthly premium for the life insurance is just over 7k baht a month. But I'm also 61, so that makes a difference. It's a 20 year policy, and I can get the 150 every 5 years IF I so choose to do so. If not, it stays and builds.

I never needed insurance prior to moving to Thailand because as a retired Marine, who also has a 100% disability rating, all my medical treatments in the U.S. were taken care of by the VA, and I could still hop on a plane and go to the Philippines to the military hospital there if I wanted, but having insurance here is much more convenient. However, to be honest, I'm not sure what their policy is in regards to coverage in another country, so I guess I should check on that. But I've had to use them twice in the past two years and never had a problem with them.

You will have to check yourself the cost of the policy varies by age and how much cover you want.

You also need to read the policy to find out what some company's exclude,having your tonsils or appendix removed as examples.

After checking out different company's we went with SCB who have there own insurance company, salaried staff do the policy

so there is no commission involved and there price was quite a lot better than the opposition for equal policy's.

I now also insure my car with them and get better cover for the same price as other company's.

In future all my insurance business will be with SCB, i cannot be bothered checking other company's as there price is equal or better anyway.

I don't know the actual product but I assume the policy is in Thai.

SCB do not have their own insurance company; they have a joint venture with New York Life who are the risk carriers.

And SCB make their money by taking a commission.

But the product may well be cheaper and if it suits your needs than that's what counts.

Interesting what you say about motor insurance as they were more expensive when I got a quote from them earlier this year.

Also to the OP. I would recommend you use a broker rather than spend hours on the internet. Yes, they take a commission but you pay no less if you buy direct. Search this forum and the insurance in Thailand forum and you'll find a number of threads on this subject.

SCB do not have their own insurance company; they have a joint venture with New York Life who are the risk carriers.

But the product may well be cheaper and if it suits your needs than that's what counts.

Interesting what you say about motor insurance as they were more expensive when I got a quote from them earlier this year.

Also to the OP. I would recommend you use a broker rather than spend hours on the internet. Yes, they take a commission but you pay no less if you buy direct. Search this forum and the insurance in Thailand forum and you'll find a number of threads on this subject.

A) Mitch is correct in that SCB does NOT have their own company, but have a joint venture with NYL.

B) You are incorrect, or misinformed that their agents are salaried and get no commission. They have a BASE salary, which isn't much, and make their money from commissions, with a varying commission structure that pays 20% - 40% depending on the policy and the amount. Trust me when I tell you I know this to be a fact.

However, that aside, they are a good company that has never hesitated to answer any question I might have, and are always willing to work with you for whatever your needs are, and in some cases, some of their policies are actually in English. They're working to eventually have them all in English.

They have copies of there policy's in English, which i read, the insurance for my wife cost 17K opposition 24K, virtually the same policy..

With the car, my previous insurer would only insure the car for 350000

SCB insured the car for 420000 and had a lot better public liability cover for an extra cost of approx 400 baht

The insurance company is called The Siam Commercial Samaggi Insurance PCL, Is has the SCB logo on it

The window sticker on my Car has the SCB logo on it, there personal accident insurance has the SCB logo

on it which i have claimed on and i was extremely happy with the way my claim was treated.

If they do not own the insurance company i could not care less, i am very happy with the cost of all my insurance

policies i hold with them and with there service.

They have copies of there policy's in English, which i read, the insurance for my wife cost 17K opposition 24K, virtually the same policy..

SCB insured the car for 420000 and had a lot better public liability cover for an extra cost of approx 400 baht

The insurance company is called The Siam Commercial Samaggi Insurance PCL, Is has the SCB logo on it

The window sticker on my Car has the SCB logo on it, there personal accident insurance has the SCB logo

on it which i have claimed on and i was extremely happy with the way my claim was treated.

If they do not own the insurance company i could not care less, i am very happy with the cost of all my insurance

Peter....

As long as you're happy with the coverage and the company then that's all that matters.

:jap:

If you work here and your employer has you enrolled in social security then you should be covered for most medical expenses.. My employer pays about 1800 baht per month for me, I get free medical and prescriptions. Last year I had my appendix out, it was an emergency. After an initial examination I was on the operating table in about 2 hours. I was in the hospital for 3 days and all it cost me was 29 baht for a tootbrush. Excellent service at the Mission hospital.

We have in phuket town an insurance broker called ERIC DHOLAN of E&A insurance brokers,Eric speaks reads and writesTHAI.

He has been established more than 10 years here in Phuket, and i am sure he will give you good impartial advice regarding any matters concerning any types of insurance....

Do you mean Siam Commercial Bank as that is who I have my account with

Bupa International for my Wife and I.

Company Classic for me (though the company I work through) - I'm not sure of the costs

Allows 30 days in the US each year, medivac and covers pretty much everything except minor outpatient and medicine costs (does cover x-rays and MRI's etc).

Standard Personal cover for my wife (Approx. 50,000 Baht per year) - Covers pretty much everything; including maternity, x-rays, MRIs, any inpatient treatment and majority of outpatient treatment (except medicine costs). No USA cover.

The Bupa Thailand cover had too many limitations and 'ceilings'.

Company Classic for me (though the company I work through) - I'm not sure of the costs

Allows 30 days in the US each year, medivac and covers pretty much everything except minor outpatient and medicine costs (does cover x-rays and MRI's etc).

Standard Personal cover for my wife (Approx. 50,000 Baht per year) - Covers pretty much everything; including maternity, x-rays, MRIs, any inpatient treatment and majority of outpatient treatment (except medicine costs). No USA cover.

Agree about Bupa Thailand. I was a member of Bupa UK for around 25 years but when I came here had to transfer to Bupa International. I was shocked to discover that it was more expensive than Bupa UK, even though it doesn't cover N. America and UK private hospitals are WAY more expensive than Thai private hospitals.

Anyway, getting back to the OP, I'm paying around 115 pounds sterling p.m. as a 51 year old woman to Bupa International for the lowest standard of cover - basically in-hospital treatment only.

As I've only ever claimed twice on Bupa in 30 years (for small amounts) and have no serious existing conditions, its possible that I could get a cheaper policy elsewhere, but as I had no trouble claiming I'm loathe to trust another company as, let's face it, insurance companies generally make up any excuse to avoid paying unless the policyholder fights for their rights. Bupa Thailand's cover was completely inadequate when I looked into it, if I had the misfortune to come down with a serious problem in the future.

My ex husband decided that Bupa Int were too expensive, and took out a policy with (I think) a Canadian health insurance provider. He was unfortunate enough to come down with a serious problem and they paid for a while, but then started blaming everything on pre-existing conditions etc., even though his illness had nothing to do with his previous problems. He ended up having to go back to the UK for treatment, but it was too late.....

Moral of the story? Find a company who have not let you down previously and stick with them.

Agree about Bupa Thailand. I was a member of Bupa UK for around 25 years but when I came here had to transfer to Bupa International. I was shocked to discover that it was more expensive than Bupa UK, even though it doesn't cover N. America and UK private hospitals are WAY more expensive than Thai private hospitals.

Anyway, getting back to the OP, I'm paying around 115 pounds sterling p.m. as a 51 year old woman to Bupa International for the lowest standard of cover - basically in-hospital treatment only.

As I've only ever claimed twice on Bupa in 30 years (for small amounts) and have no serious existing conditions, its possible that I could get a cheaper policy elsewhere, but as I had no trouble claiming I'm loathe to trust another company as, let's face it, insurance companies generally make up any excuse to avoid paying unless the policyholder fights for their rights. Bupa Thailand's cover was completely inadequate when I looked into it, if I had the misfortune to come down with a serious problem in the future.

My ex husband decided that Bupa Int were too expensive, and took out a policy with (I think) a Canadian health insurance provider. He was unfortunate enough to come down with a serious problem and they paid for a while, but then started blaming everything on pre-existing conditions etc., even though his illness had nothing to do with his previous problems. He ended up having to go back to the UK for treatment, but it was too late.....

Moral of the story? Find a company who have not let you down previously and stick with them.

I met someone last night that works for www.expatsolutions.org I have looked at there insurance and looks good, for major medical insurance it's approx £120 per month which is the amount I am looking to pay, the provider is called goodhealthworldwide.

If you are under 65 you can buy a Travel Insurance from Columbus Direct (Google them) It just covers you for Thailand only but gives you great cover. The last time I took my policy out it cost me 260 euro for 8 million Euro cover inc all Medical Cover. The company are covered by Lloyds in London so your money is safe in the event of company failure but the company have been around for a long time. I'm afraid they don't give cover for anyone over the age of 65 but if you are younger it's well worth it. It works just like a travel insurance policy and gives you all the benefits of such a policy.

If you are under 65 you can buy a Travel Insurance from Columbus Direct (Google them) It just covers you for Thailand only but gives you great cover. The last time I took my policy out it cost me 260 euro for 8 million Euro cover inc all Medical Cover. The company are covered by Lloyds in London so your money is safe in the event of company failure but the company have been around for a long time. I'm afraid they don't give cover for anyone over the age of 65 but if you are younger it's well worth it. It works just like a travel insurance policy and gives you all the benefits of such a policy.

Here we go again.

If you are travelling then travel insurance is fine.

If you have a long term visa then you are very unlikely to get your claim paid.

Travel insurance and health insurance are vastly different.

There's a previous thread with comments from myself and another insurance professional if you search.

Kenny999, Goodhealth are fine. Their policies are issued offshore (not a problem) as they are Hong Kong based and are owned by Aetna (in fact they are now called Aetna Global Benefits).

You appear to be looking for proper healthcare cover with no cost and corner cutting. You may also want to try Global Health, also in Hong Kong and Interglobal who have offices throughout Asia including Thailand and are UK based.

I would switch to one of the above three insureres myself but am tied in due to a minor pre-existing condition, unfortunately.

Here we go again.

If you are travelling then travel insurance is fine.

If you have a long term visa then you are very unlikely to get your claim paid.

Travel insurance and health insurance are vastly different.

There's a previous thread with comments from myself and another insurance professional if you search.

Kenny999, Goodhealth are fine. Their policies are issued offshore (not a problem) as they are Hong Kong based and are owned by Aetna (in fact they are now called Aetna Global Benefits).

You appear to be looking for proper healthcare cover with no cost and corner cutting. You may also want to try Global Health, also in Hong Kong and Interglobal who have offices throughout Asia including Thailand and are UK based.

I would switch to one of the above three insureres myself but am tied in due to a minor pre-existing condition, unfortunately.

Nonsense.... This cover is for THAILAND only.. Please get you facts right before you shout the odds!!!!!! Go to the website and read the information before you reply things you are not sure about......You have to have a Thai address to qualify for this insurance and it covers you for 365 days....

Edited by LivinginKata
answer format corrected

Riomist,

I just checked the policy for you.

This policy covers during trips made from the country of residence, e.g. a trip to Laos from Thailand, not while staying at the country of residence.

So Madmitch is quite right, this is a travel policy, not a health policy.

Riomist,

This policy covers during trips made from the country of residence, e.g. a trip to Laos from Thailand, not while staying at the country of residence.

My country of residence is Australia, I have permission to stay in Thailand.

I am not a Thai citizen or National, I am allowed to stay here because i Meet the government requirements for extension of stay.

An extension of stay is not a visa, if you let it expire you have to leave Thailand and get a new visa which you can get extensions of stay on.

My travel insurance covers me for all i require, it doesn't cover for certain pre existing conditions, which i do not have.

I can extend my policy as required over the Internet.

When i return to Australia i have to start a new policy each time, but while out of Australia it covers me for travel to other Asian country's

If i have an accident or become suddenly ill the policy covers me including medical evacuation if required

Riomist,

My country of residence is Australia, I have permission to stay in Thailand.

I am not a Thai citizen or National, I am allowed to stay here because i Meet the government requirements for extension of stay.

An extension of stay is not a visa, if you let it expire you have to leave Thailand and get a new visa which you can get extensions of stay on.

My travel insurance covers me for all i require, it doesn't cover for certain pre existing conditions, which i do not have.

I can extend my policy as required over the Internet.

When i return to Australia i have to start a new policy each time, but while out of Australia it covers me for travel to other Asian country's

If i have an accident or become suddenly ill the policy covers me including medical evacuation if required

Again Peter you are quite wrong... If you look at the detail they ask you when you fill in the proposal they ask you for your overseas address. THIS IS A EX PATS POLICY. I wish people would look and read before they place their comments on here. Yes it is a Travel Policy that covers you for health up to 8 million Euros including all operations and hospital fees.. please look at the drop down menu of the 'Country Of Residence' and you will see Thailand listed there. Thank you very much.