Medical Insurance

kenny999

Yes, a travel policy for people staying in thailand for their trips abroad. Not for their health needs while staying in their country of residence, thailand in this case.

Wrong, i have already discussed this subject with an Australian Government Department, i am an Australian resident and citizen.

I am a guest in Thailand, i have no rights to permanently reside here.

The same applies to the travel insurance i have, it does cover me, i have read the policy you have not.

Different country's have different rules and regulations, Australian if not the best at protecting the policy holder would be one of the top three.

The insurance policy's i have read here are just a ticket to make money.

Riomist,

I just checked the policy for you.

This policy covers during trips made from the country of residence, e.g. a trip to Laos from Thailand, not while staying at the country of residence.

So Madmitch is quite right, this is a travel policy, not a health policy.

My country of residence is Australia, I have permission to stay in Thailand.

I am not a Thai citizen or National, I am allowed to stay here because i Meet the government requirements for extension of stay.

An extension of stay is not a visa, if you let it expire you have to leave Thailand and get a new visa which you can get extensions of stay on.

My travel insurance covers me for all i require, it doesn't cover for certain pre existing conditions, which i do not have.

I can extend my policy as required over the Internet.

When i return to Australia i have to start a new policy each time, but while out of Australia it covers me for travel to other Asian country's

If i have an accident or become suddenly ill the policy covers me including medical evacuation if required

Again Peter you are quite wrong... If you look at the detail they ask you when you fill in the proposal they ask you for your overseas address. THIS IS A EX PATS POLICY. I wish people would look and read before they place their comments on here. Yes it is a Travel Policy that covers you for health up to 8 million Euros including all operations and hospital fees.. please look at the drop down menu of the 'Country Of Residence' and you will see Thailand listed there. Thank you very much.

Riomist, Peter's policy is different but yours is a travel policy and is not a health policy. Unfortunately the link did not work to download the actual policy.

When you have the option to purchase coverage with Columbus, you are asked to choose whether you want coverage for up to 31 day or 60 days per trip. If you live in Bangkok and get sick in Bangkok you won't be covered.

It's a travel policy for expats only valid whilst travelling from your place of residence.

Peter, all my comments still stand from the last thread on this subject. If you believe that you are covered then it's up to you but I would advise anyone not to rely on travel insurance unless you are genuinely travelling. Why do you think it is so cheap and with fewer sub-limits and terms and conditions than proper healthcare policies? Answer.....because it's a different type of policy.

Yes, a travel policy for people staying in thailand for their trips abroad. Not for their health needs while staying in their country of residence, thailand in this case.

Wrong, i have already discussed this subject with an Australian Government Department, i am an Australian resident and citizen.

I am a guest in Thailand, i have no rights to permanently reside here.

The same applies to the travel insurance i have, it does cover me, i have read the policy you have not.

Different country's have different rules and regulations, Australian if not the best at protecting the policy holder would be one of the top three.

The insurance policy's i have read here are just a ticket to make money.

peter,

I am not commenting on your visa or residency or insurance, but reacting to riomist and his insurance suggestion, which is a travel policy for expats living in Thailand.

No idea why you are reacting to my posts and think it has anything to do with you.

Edited by stevenl

Riomist,

I just checked the policy for you.

This policy covers during trips made from the country of residence, e.g. a trip to Laos from Thailand, not while staying at the country of residence.

So Madmitch is quite right, this is a travel policy, not a health policy.

My country of residence is Australia, I have permission to stay in Thailand.

I am not a Thai citizen or National, I am allowed to stay here because i Meet the government requirements for extension of stay.

An extension of stay is not a visa, if you let it expire you have to leave Thailand and get a new visa which you can get extensions of stay on.

My travel insurance covers me for all i require, it doesn't cover for certain pre existing conditions, which i do not have.

I can extend my policy as required over the Internet.

When i return to Australia i have to start a new policy each time, but while out of Australia it covers me for travel to other Asian country's

If i have an accident or become suddenly ill the policy covers me including medical evacuation if required

Again Peter you are quite wrong... If you look at the detail they ask you when you fill in the proposal they ask you for your overseas address. THIS IS A EX PATS POLICY. I wish people would look and read before they place their comments on here. Yes it is a Travel Policy that covers you for health up to 8 million Euros including all operations and hospital fees.. please look at the drop down menu of the 'Country Of Residence' and you will see Thailand listed there. Thank you very much.

WRONG AGAIN, They do not ask or require an overseas address.

My policy covers me for UNLIMITED medical expenses.

As i have told you before the policy is issued in Australia not Europe and by previos responses in a in a former post is much better

Previously an insurance expert said you cannot get a 1 year policy and had to admit he was wrong.

Riomist, Peter's policy is different but yours is a travel policy and is not a health policy. Unfortunately the link did not work to download the actual policy.

When you have the option to purchase coverage with Columbus, you are asked to choose whether you want coverage for up to 31 day or 60 days per trip. If you live in Bangkok and get sick in Bangkok you won't be covered.

It's a travel policy for expats only valid whilst travelling from your place of residence.

Peter, all my comments still stand from the last thread on this subject. If you believe that you are covered then it's up to you but I would advise anyone not to rely on travel insurance unless you are genuinely travelling. Why do you think it is so cheap and with fewer sub-limits and terms and conditions than proper healthcare policies? Answer.....because it's a different type of policy.

All i am saying is it works for me, it has its limitations but it is not cheap, i pay less for my wifes full medical cover here than i do for my travel insurance

My official residence is in Perth, Australia

>>Why do you think it is so cheap and with fewer sub-limits and terms and conditions than proper healthcare policies? Answer.....because it's a different type of policy.

Exactly. As consumers we'd all opt for the cheapest and best coverage, which of course would drive the insurance companies out of business if they offered such great coverage at such cheap prices. Who wouldn't want 8 million worth of Euro coverage for 265/year, or whatever figure riomist was bandying about? It sure beats the premiums I pay for health insurance here living in TH.

>>Why do you think it is so cheap and with fewer sub-limits and terms and conditions than proper healthcare policies? Answer.....because it's a different type of policy.

Exactly. As consumers we'd all opt for the cheapest and best coverage, which of course would drive the insurance companies out of business if they offered such great coverage at such cheap prices. Who wouldn't want 8 million worth of Euro coverage for 265/year, or whatever figure riomist was bandying about? It sure beats the premiums I pay for health insurance here living in TH.

Can you let us know what insurance company you are with and what premiums you pay it would help others especially me!!

Edited by kenny999

Can you let us know what insurance company you are with and what premiums you pay it would help others especially me!!

Kenny, that's quite difficult as there are different policy types and premiums vary according to age, record etc.

An independent broker will do the legwork for you and although I personally have a direct placement with LMG, if I were to move accounts I would use Eric Dohlin, despite some negative comments on previous threads. PM me if you want any more info.

All the companies are similar but for the best options try the Thai Visa Brokers - at least you know who they are !

It seems like you all have differant ideas on what you want in a policy.why dont you all get some good profesional advice from a profesional broker....i know some of you i have been involved in insurance in your own country..but policies in Europe can and do differ in Asia....

iii I have had experiance of having THAI holiday in surance n Thailand and claiming on that Policy...the only way i could claim was to prove that i was enroute to another country on my holidays...and this was made posible because i had a good Broker......Like most things in life you get what you pay for...but like a lot of us..we all look for the best deal...and its not always the Cheapest

Hi

Use Eric, he live here and not in TV or anywhere else, you can always call him or go see him, he has helped a few friends of mine, one was a bad one but he managed to sort it out, dont care to much with the people there will tell you he is bad.