Medication: continuation of prescription

Jeffery Stanthorpe

Hi all,

I have received a months supply of xanax from my doc in the states. I will be going to Pattaya for an extended period. I will need get this prescribtion for the forseeable future as I have an on-going stress related illness. I also need to have diazipam which I don't take daily only if I get overstressed and sometimes to take the edge off if I go through an excessive drinking period. (the doctor has left this my own decretion as we have a long relationship).

Can I continue with this treatment in Pattaya if I bring my medical records.

Thanks in advance for you advice :o

You wont need any medical records For the diazapan, you can buy valium freely over the counter at most pharmacies without a prescription, as for xanax i would imagine the same goes for this as well but i am sure someone will tell you for certain :o

If it's a readily available medicine, as daleyboy said you may not need a prescription to get it if you can find them at pharmacies.

If it's a difficult-to-find medication, why don't you contact this hospital (link below) and ask if they have it? If they don't, you probably won't find it at any other hospitals/pharmacies in Pattaya. Can't you ask you doctor to write a prescription for the amount you need for "extended period" of time?

http://www.bangkokpattayahospital.com/pages/main.html

You wont need any medical records For the diazapan, you can buy valium freely over the counter at most pharmacies without a prescription, as for xanax i would imagine the same goes for this as well but i am sure someone will tell you for certain :o

Just to qualify this slightly: my understanding is that for valium/diazepam etc, a qualified pharmacist needs to authorise it. When I went to a small pharmacy that just had "shop assistants", I was told that it's a controlled item and they couldn't sell it to me without a valid prescription. When I went to a bigger one, the senior person present (presumably a qualified pharmacist) told me "It's OK because I'm here".

Just to qualify this slightly: my understanding is that for valium/diazepam etc, a qualified pharmacist needs to authorise it. When I went to a small pharmacy that just had "shop assistants", I was told that it's a controlled item and they couldn't sell it to me without a valid prescription. When I went to a bigger one, the senior person present (presumably a qualified pharmacist) told me "It's OK because I'm here".

I personally have never had a problem obtaining valium, never been asked for a prescription, bought 20 or 30 at a time. I only use them in Thailand to help me sleep at night. :D

Hi all,

I have received a months supply of xanax from my doc in the states. I will be going to Pattaya for an extended period. I will need get this prescribtion for the forseeable future as I have an on-going stress related illness. I also need to have diazipam which I don't take daily only if I get overstressed and sometimes to take the edge off if I go through an excessive drinking period. (the doctor has left this my own decretion as we have a long relationship).

Can I continue with this treatment in Pattaya if I bring my medical records.

Thanks in advance for you advice 

About 10 years ago and more these benzodiazepine drugs could be bought anywhere in Thailand, no problem. There was a law made in about 97 that said pharmacies couldn't sell it, but they still did for the next few years. Around 2001 there was a big crackdown on the selling of it, and a new law. In the last year, nearly all the shops that sold it have stopped. I know this to be true in Bangkok, but Pattaya I heard is the same. There was a thread on this a while back, do a search.

As long as you take a letter from your doctor you can get this medicine anywhere in the world from a doctor, no problem.

A word of caution, Xanax should not be taken for a period of more than about 1 month, every day. Addiction occurs. I have been there and believe me when I say that Xanax withdrawal is worse than heroin, alcohol, amphetamines, cocaine, and nearly all drugs legal or not. There is only one other one which comes close - methadone. Because of the short half-life of Xanax, it is very addictive. It only covers up the stress-related problem and does not get rid of it, it makes it worse in the longrun. DO you want to remember your trip to Pattaya? If so dump the Xanax., :o it is evil.

Benzodiazapines, almost all of them, they being a large family of drugs are available at some pharmacies in Thailand. There has been a 'clamp down' in recent years and some smaller pharmacies don't stock Xanax, yet under the counter they stock a generic which is identical. Alprazolam is the pharmacutical name for Xanax.

Addiction and tolerance to Xanax develops very quickly, since it is also an anti depressant as well as an anti anxiolotic. Addiction to benzodiazapines is so insidious, it is almost supernatural in nature.

It is very easy to find testimonies online (google search etc.) of peoples lives that have been ruined by Xanax and other benzodiazapines.

Short term use is the only way in which they should be used. Valium for example is an excellent drug for use in alcohol withdrawal. Other benzodiazapines are used successfully in severe mental trauma and as muscle relaxants.

However, stress, should never be treated with benzodiazapines unless the stress was so severe that immediate sedation was required.

I am only posting this reply to warn of the dangers of addiction to these drugs, I have witnessed first-hand, highly intelligent, wonderful human beings, turned into zombies and social misfits within six months of using these drugs.

To be able to get these drugs in Thailand easily is extremely sad. I just hope those that read this post will think twice about using benzodiazapines without the very best medical supervision.

(the doctor has left this my own decretion as we have a long relationship).

He's obviously not your friend or totally incompetent.

Good doctors do not give Xanax for extended periods for stress-related illnesses, especially to people who go on drinking bouts. Are you telling us the truth, Jeffery?

Give them up and quit drinking, the best way to combat stress.

Don't go to Pattaya too, it sounds like a nightmare for yourself.

Edited by Neeranam

Good doctors do not give Xanax for extended periods for stress-related illnesses, especially to people who go on drinking bouts. Are you telling us the truth, Jeffery?

thanks for info,

I am expecting the outcome of an important litigation case with the US army due to a nasty head wound i received while overseas. I was advised by my attorney that it would have a huge impact on the case if i could prove I had a dependancy on certain types of medication so I will need medical records from the hospital.. I am currently on extended medical leave but my attorney said things may move quicker than expected. I will unwind in Pattaya in the meantime. I heard there are many nice bars there to relax and get myself sorted :o

thanks for info,

I am expecting the outcome of an important litigation case with the US army due to a nasty head wound i received while overseas. I was advised by my attorney that it would have a huge impact on the case if i could prove I had a dependancy on certain types of medication so I will need medical records from the hospital.. I am currently on extended medical leave but my attorney said things may move quicker than expected. I will unwind in Pattaya in the meantime. I heard there are many nice bars there to relax and get myself sorted :o

No offence meant here Jeffery but I would be more worried about the huge impact it would have on yourself becoming dependant on a drug like that (or any other for that matter) rather than the impact it would have on the case.

Anyone who would suggest that becoming dependant on medication is a good idea for their clients case really shouldn't be giving any sort of advice let alone legal advice.

Unless I've read your post wrong and what he is saying is have the records but don't necessarily take the drugs? If so I appologize for the mistake.