Uncomfortable Breathing

kenny999

I have had this uncomfortable breathing for as long as I can remember, just a feeling of not getting a comfortable breath, had chest xray all clear, ECG all clear, doctor says are you stressed answer maybe but don't feel it, same question about anxiety, maybe but again dont feel it, I did see an American medical programme not so long ago where one of the doctors had the same thing but cant remember the outcome, I think he had allergies which were causing the problem.

I am sure there are many people in the world that have something like this and suppose hoping someone on this forum might experience this and have already found the answer.

I had similar problems until I stopped smoking from one day to the next. It was quite a few years ago and I am feeling (and breathing) well ever since.

Thanks a sensible answer but will they all be sensible, the doc at Bangkok gave me anti- depressents, I am not depressed but as he said these tablets will calm you down and will help with any stress or anxiety that you might have, I dont feel stress or anxiety but could be in the background I suppose, maybe I will try again as it is now getting me down which could be a cause bloody nightmare lol

I teach meditation which at its most basic level is a breathing exercise. If you like you can come for a free session and I'll teach you to breathe which should give you better oxygenation and maybe help you get rid of the "stress" or whatever is causing the problem. I'm in Chalong so PM me if you want to give it a try.

I am sure it is caused by pollution. Every time I go Bangkok or Chiangmai I have this problem, Chiangmai is real bad. Every time I return to my home on the beach it disappears.

You have to find some beach will little traffic. My wife has same problems but they also go when we get home. The problem gets worse as we grow older so we try and avoid the cities.

In parts of the world where airpollution is a problem, respiratory problems are becoming more common.

Unless there are underlying infections or other problems such as emphysema or frank asthma, X-rays usually reveal little.

The most reliable is a simple lung fuction test which will show if there is a problem with air intake or exhalation. Underlying asthma can usually be diagnosed by the FEV1% which is the forced expiratory airflow. Other, more subtle forms of respiratory obstruction are more difficult to diagnose; especially those associated with panic or nervous syndromes.

Far more common though is reactive airways disease which is due to air pollution.

If the diagnosis is difficult, management of these are even more of a problem. Frequently antibiotics are prescribed or regularly used for this condition and this should be avoided at all cost unless there are very clear signs of infection.

Using antidepressants or other psychotropic drugs should also be weighed against the severity of the symptoms and the side effects of those drugs; only rarely would there be indications to go to this extreme.

Avoiding exposure or limiting exposure to poor air quality may be the only solution but is not always achievable; then alternate solutions should be sought. These all include attention to airconditioner filters at home to using hepa filters on vacuum cleaners and using steam inhalations and air de-ionisers.

Yoga, especially for the anxiety related breathing difficulties is a great and effective way of treatment but takes some dedication and time to achieve results. The results though, are usually lasting and there are also lots of other health benefits.

I had similar problems until I stopped smoking from one day to the next. It was quite a few years ago and I am feeling (and breathing) well ever since.

Thanks a sensible answer but will they all be sensible, the doc at Bangkok gave me anti- depressents, I am not depressed but as he said these tablets will calm you down and will help with any stress or anxiety that you might have, I dont feel stress or anxiety but could be in the background I suppose, maybe I will try again as it is now getting me down which could be a cause bloody nightmare lol

Are you also having breathing problems when you sleep? Do you have to get up & pee during the night? If so it could be sleep apnea.

Are you also having breathing problems when you sleep? Do you have to get up & pee during the night? If so it could be sleep apnea.

No I sleep ok although I do wake up very early but not to go to the toilet, I am quite sure it is stress anxiety related but how you deal with this I have no idea, had this for many years but does seem to be worse now I am in Thailand. I have to say the anti depressents did help but I dont like taking them so stopped. If I try to relax and not take huge big breaths it does seem better but still an uncomfortable feeling in my chest, the trouble is obviously you try to get that comfortable breath which makes it worse, vicious circle.

Edited by kenny999

If you have had a thorough physical exam with nothing found, I really suggest you try a course of Vipassana meditation.

See www.dhamma.org for detailed info and course schedules

It is free, the 10 day retreats are on a purely donation basis

And, as the various centers in Thailand are all located in the countryside, it will also get you in clean air for 10 days

Try it. It will help.