Western Food Survey

SausageKing

I miss so many foods that it is hard to decide:

1/ WHAT KIND OF WESTERN FOOD DO YOU MISS FROM YOUR MOTHER COUNTRY

Mexican food by far.........nobody has done it in Thailand (sorry, but that is my opinion)

Chinese food (American style)

2/ WHAT KIND OF DESSERT DO YOU MISS FROM YOU MOTHER COUNTRY

Cream (not fruit) pies: chocolate, peanut butter and banana, key lime, and real cheesecake which, surprisingly, nobody seems to be able to make.

3/ WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE FAST FOOD ?

Real Italian sub....again, nobody makes it (remotely good) in Thailand.

4/ WHAT COUNTRY DO YOU COME FROM ?

USA

5/ DO YOU LIKE WESTERN FOOD OR THAI FOOD THE BEST ? SCORE OUT OF 10 ?

Western food 10, Thai food -10

I would say that I can get 90% of this stuff in Chiang Mai and good quality.The hardest thing for me to get is good,Mexican food and good American style pizzas, but there are several places in Chiang Mai that pretty much fill the bill - I just wish there was more variety of the better stuff.

Western food +10

Japanese food +10

Vietnamese food +7

Thai food +5

Edited by Ulysses G.

real cheesecake which, surprisingly, nobody seems to be able to make.

I know a number of places that make good cheesecake here and different styles. I do not remember it being any better at home.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Decent ravioli with sage butter and parmesan...filled with ham and ricotta please.

Any decent puff pastry.

Deep pan pizza of decent quality.

Thai food done well is a joy...badly its crap...gimme a spicy pork salad for breakfast over bacon and eggs any day...

Idlis sambar and dosa...

I'm from the UK...oh yeah someone said decent haddock...any way you like...

real cheesecake which, surprisingly, nobody seems to be able to make.

I know a number of places that make good cheesecake here and different styles. I do not remember it being any better at home.

I have tried many of them but they seem to not use or put enough of a mixture of cottage cheese and cream cheese (also baked properly). I suppose this might be more like you can find at a Jewish Deli in the USA. I miss virtually all of the popular pies from back home......even the fruit-based pies taste like crap to me. I will say this: Sunrise Tacos makes very good pumpkin pie :) So, I no longer miss pumpkin pie.

Angels' Secrets, Butter is Better (the New York style one) and Art Cafe all have good cheesecake in Chiang Mai and there are a few other places as well. Also, Butter is Better has really good pies with butter crust.

Edited by Ulysses G.

last time I had cheesecake was in the UK...it sure did look good but was tasteless...ye gotta have them NY jews and their righteous delis for the real thing...

now I was away for 20 years and in Philadelphia and I got a downtown deli pastrami on rye and after a taste I wanted to go down on bended knees, etc...ate half and kept the rest fer supper...huge, it was...when I got back to my accommodation I placed it on the kitchen counter and gazed, mystified...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

1/ WHAT KIND OF WESTERN FOOD DO YOU MISS FROM YOUR MOTHER COUNTRY ?

Mexican cuisine and beef jerky ( Jack Links, specifically)

2/ WHAT KIND OF DESSERT DO YOU MISS FROM YOU MOTHER COUNTRY ?

I'm not big on desserts.

3/ WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE FAST FOOD ?

Hamburgers.

4/ WHAT COUNTRY DO YOU COME FROM ?

America.

5/ DO YOU LIKE WESTERN FOOD OR THAI FOOD THE BEST ? SCORE OUT OF 10 ?

Thai Food 9

Western Food 5

Overall Asian Cuisine 7 (Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Korean, Vietnamese, etc.)

Mexican Food 10

America? Is that Canada? Mexico? Central or South American country?

My guess is United States...they always forget there are many other countries and millions of non USA residents that are alos "Americans"!

I am from the U.S.A

My only response is that I miss good beef from the USA. Every steak I have found in Thailand is from NZ, cut thin, and not tender at all. I suspect they do not grain feed their beef before slaughter to improve flavor and texture.

I worked on cattle ranches in the USA and whenever a cow died by accident and was not grain fed before "harvest" it had the same flavor and texture as NZ beef.

After a month in Thailand, I'd give my arm for a good 1 1/2" thick T-Bone, medium rare with grilled onions, like I was raised on in the states.

• Like 1

My guess is United States...they always forget there are many other countries and millions of non USA residents that are alos "Americans"!

They call themselves Canadians or whatever the name of the county is that they are from. There are no such thing as "Statsians" rolleyes.gif .

I would say that I can get 90% of this stuff in Chiang Mai and good quality.The hardest thing for me to get is good,Mexican food and good American style pizzas, but there are several places in Chiang Mai that pretty much fill the bill - I just wish there was more variety of the better stuff.

Western food +10

Japanese food +10

Vietnamese food +7

Thai food +5

For good Mexican try the Miguels out of town - not the one by the moat.