Best Bus Service To Bkk

batami

Normally I fly to BKK but I thought I would give the bus a try (again :rolleyes: ) in the hope I can find a bus with more leg room and comfort.

Which company offers the best bus service to BKK from Chiang Mai? - By best I mean the most spacious, most comfortable comfort, most reliable, most courteous -- (I know, everything is relative!)

Give I am 5'10" and 110kg the last journey I made was a nightmare -- Thai sized leg room and Thai sized seats!

When I was collecting some friends from Arcade this week I notice some buses now have what appears, from the outside, to be very generous space between the seats.

Any helpful tips appreciated.

I tried searching this topic and did not get a clear result - so, although this information may be buried in other posts, please excuse a new thread.

Appreciate your comments and thank you for any reply

I have forgotten the booth numbers, but the VIP busses between cnx and bkk have only three seats across. Passengers not only have a wide seat, but good leg room. And a choice between one or two across, if one books ahead. Something around 800+ baht. (Rest room can be memorable.) When I last used them, I was carrying a ton of luggage.

Last I checked, there were (coming this way) routes starting out at 9 a.m as well as 9 p.m., and a third I think. I also seem to recall that these were those that were "government" run. I found them very comfortable and they include the cheap snack - plus, daytime at least, a stop with a voucher for food as well. Earplugs might be wise, if you dislike TV on a bus.

Edited by CMX

I travelled with Nakhon Chai Air and their buses were VIP with 4 seats across. No good.

Can't remember the name, but as you enter the ticket booth area from the Song Taew pick up point, on the right about two thirds of the way down there are 3/4 booths selling tickets to Bangkok. Only one of them had tickets with 3 seats across the bus, and we (3 of us) managed to start putting the sales people against each other in terms of price and got 3 seats for 1200Baht (400B each) on the 3 across bus. Added bonus that they didn't wake us up at 3am for food.

Try getting the seat down the left of the bus (they're the single ones), and preferably in the middle where the seat bounces around less.

Go at night and close your eyes so you can't see how badly the driver is driving.

I travelled with Nakhon Chai Air and their buses were VIP with 4 seats across. No good.

Can't remember the name, but as you enter the ticket booth area from the Song Taew pick up point, on the right about two thirds of the way down there are 3/4 booths selling tickets to Bangkok. Only one of them had tickets with 3 seats across the bus, and we (3 of us) managed to start putting the sales people against each other in terms of price and got 3 seats for 1200Baht (400B each) on the 3 across bus. Added bonus that they didn't wake us up at 3am for food.

Try getting the seat down the left of the bus (they're the single ones), and preferably in the middle where the seat bounces around less.

Go at night and close your eyes so you can't see how badly the driver is driving.

That's why you go with NCA. They have the best safety record going. They do not crash.:whistling: 400 baht each, you must have had chickens hanging off the back of the bus.:lol:

400 baht each, you must have had chickens hanging off the back of the bus.:lol:

Was the most comfortable bus ride to BKK in about 10 attempts! Thinking about it, it was the 1st day things were kicking off in BKK in March this year. May explain the discount.....

I agree with gotlost - NCA if you want to go by bus. Last time I came back from BKK, I went with them and it was great. Big leather seats, loads if leg room (I'm 6' 2") personal TV with a choice of movies and video games, snacks all the way... Great! Can't remember the name of the NCA service, but it was their top one that they offer.

Edited by Scrubber

DO NOT HESITATE.THE BEST IS NAKORNCHAI AIR (nca)

They are the best but not all coaches have personal screens. They do howover have careful drivers and the office monitor there route speed progress we were told. Seats have built in vibrators !!!! and their office is at the back of the Bus Arcade complex with English speaking ,helpful staff.

Seats have built in vibrators !!!!

I remember that. Took me 3 hours to figure out how to switch the thing off. My attempts to explain to the host(ess) my problem resulted in laughter, but no understanding. dam_n annoying vibrator!

Seats have built in vibrators !!!!

I remember that. Took me 3 hours to figure out how to switch the thing off. My attempts to explain to the host(ess) my problem resulted in laughter, but no understanding. dam_n annoying vibrator!

They are not a vibrator. They are called Lumbar Support. Quite a few cars will have them in their back rest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumbar

DO NOT HESITATE.THE BEST IS NAKORNCHAI AIR (nca)

They are the best but not all coaches have personal screens. They do howover have careful drivers and the office monitor there route speed progress we were told. Seats have built in vibrators !!!! and their office is at the back of the Bus Arcade complex with English speaking ,helpful staff.

The seat vibrators are great. I've yet to meet anyone at their office who speaks a word of English - and I've taken their bus quite a few times. But they are helpful and friendly.

If you want the best service with most room, lumbar support and built in seat screens it is no good booking VIP. If you want the best bus with only 3 seats across and all the other trimmings you have to book 'First Class'. These buses only leave Chiang Mai at 21.20 and 22.20 and usually arrive in Bangkok up to an hour earlier than advertised. Nobody in the office speaks any English but if you say 'First Class' they know what you want.

If you want the best service with most room, lumbar support and built in seat screens it is no good booking VIP. If you want the best bus with only 3 seats across and all the other trimmings you have to book 'First Class'. These buses only leave Chiang Mai at 21.20 and 22.20 and usually arrive in Bangkok up to an hour earlier than advertised. Nobody in the office speaks any English but if you say 'First Class' they know what you want.

I'll have to try their First Class some day but their VIP buses on most their routs do have lumbar support.

Trainman,

I'm confused. (Nothing new.) You say that if I want a night bus to BKK that I should take NCA. OK. Then you say that two schedules for "first class' offer 3 seats only wide, pvt tv/games, ample legroom, screens, and a sort of lumbar vibrator or whatever. And their safety standards are high.

What on earth does the outfit offer on their VIP buses? Or are they the same price?

Edited by CMX

Trainman,

I'm confused. (Nothing new.) You say that if I want a night bus to BKK that I should take NCA. OK. Then you say that two schedules for "first class' offer 3 seats only wide, pvt tv/games, ample legroom, screens, and a sort of lumbar vibrator or whatever. And their safety standards are high.

What on earth does the outfit offer on their VIP buses? Or are they the same price?

Easy to be confused....this is Thailand! The difference between VIP and First Class is 1. The Price......200 Baht more expensive for First Class. 2. First Class has only 3 seats across the width of the bus and VIP has 4. 3. First Class only has ALL the goodies and the space you crave. Oh; and VIP is only a small step ahead of Cattle Class!

Take the train. It's cheaper and more fun.

Roger

Trust me when I tell you I know a lot about Trains. If you value your life, even just a little, don't ride on Thailand's railways ok!

My wife says the difference between a Thai train and an Indian train is that Thailand does not allow you to ride on top. The safety record are the same, SHYT.

I suspect that this seat business may vary by company. I've taken buses called VIP that have 3 seats across (but none of the other features).

No bus I've taken is not four hours faster than the train. I love trains, adore trains, and prefer trains - in the western states of Continental Europe. Also, timetables that are whimsical, not to say laughable, annoy me. However, I do agree that the sleeping bunk cars appeal to some for overnight. Outgoing sociable travelers too.

So 1st class offers more comfort than VIP with a bus company with "air" in its name, and must cost near 1,000 baht?

Edited by CMX

I suspect that this seat business may vary by company. I've taken buses called VIP that have 3 seats across (but none of the other features).

No bus I've taken is not four hours faster than the train. I love trains, adore trains, and prefer trains - in the western states of Continental Europe. Also, timetables that are whimsical, not to say laughable, annoy me. However, I do agree that the sleeping bunk cars appeal to some for overnight. Outgoing sociable travelers too.

So 1st class offers more comfort than VIP with a bus company with "air" in its name, and must cost near 1,000 baht?

Speaking of air in their name, I wounder what happened to NCA effort to start an airline? Any rumors?

Right now I'm riding the bus CM - Udonthani and an retired Thai businessman told me the best bus to bangkok is the government bus, way better then this 'VIP' bus, best place is second row downstairs, dparts from Arcade 8 pm, arrival at More shit. Im s, just 8 seath sitting dpownstairs now also, not bad just 8 seats here.

^ The gov first class bus is pretty reliable and fast but not a patch on this 3 seat config' bus.

Easy to be confused....this is Thailand! The difference between VIP and First Class is 1. The Price......200 Baht more expensive for First Class. 2. First Class has only 3 seats across the width of the bus and VIP has 4. 3. First Class only has ALL the goodies and the space you crave. Oh; and VIP is only a small step ahead of Cattle Class!

That must have changed then as VIP is generally the top of the heap. I, too, have done that trip a number of times and the VIP is the one with the 3 seats across. It stands to reason you go 3rd class, 2 class, 1st class, and then up to VIP. I think you should recheck.

Nowt wrong with the trains. Although slower, you have a far greater chance of dying on the road... Somachai the driver falls asleep or dick careens into bus, end of.

Um, no. VIP refers to a type of seating configuration, typically 32 seats that recline really far. Then there's 'Super VIP', as offered by NCA and also the government B.K.S. '99999' service, which has three seats across for a total of 24 seats.

Many government licensed and controlled companies that depart from Arcade offer VIP buses. A few offer Super-VIP.

When in doubt, check the number of seats. And check out the actual bus if possible.

NCA is very professional, though they drive a little bit too slow & sensible.

In terms of comfort and safety, none come close to the train. Though the train is *REALLY* slow. However if arrival time is not an issue, then 13 hours spent eating, drinking and sleeping is better than 10 hours spent awake looking at rainy Thai highways at night and eating horrible watery rice soup somewhere outside of Kamphaeng Phet.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Um, no. VIP refers to a type of seating configuration, typically 32 seats that recline really far. Then there's 'Super VIP', as offered by NCA and also the government B.K.S. '99999' service, which has three seats across for a total of 24 seats.

Many government licensed and controlled companies that depart from Arcade offer VIP buses. A few offer Super-VIP.

When in doubt, check the number of seats. And check out the actual bus if possible.

In terms of comfort, none come close to the train. Though the train is *REALLY* slow. However if time is not an issue, then 13 hours spent eating, drinking and sleeping is better than 10 hours spent awake looking at rainy Thai highways at night.

I think the train beats the bus any day, unless of course you happen to be in a carriage with a load of drunken farangs.

As WTK said, it's quite relaxing eating, drinking and sleeping......much better if you sleep rather than the driver of the bus.

In terms of comfort and safety, none come close to the train. Though the train is *REALLY* slow. However if arrival time is not an issue, then 13 hours spent eating, drinking and sleeping is better than 10 hours spent awake looking at rainy Thai highways at night and eating horrible watery rice soup somewhere outside of Kamphaeng Phet.

Just made a RT form Chiang Mai to Surin on NCA great ride.:D I do agree that the two stops to stretch your legs and grab something to eat... THe food sucks. :bah: Where is a Big MC when you need it.:lol: