Stuff To Do In Roi-Et

LT3

I've always enjoyed weekends in Roi Et, but I can understand that the options may soon become limited in what is a small town. If you haven't been already, a place to meet a few Westerners is 101 Pizza (which serves beer) on the road around the central lake, just past the aquarium. Somebody already mentioned the White Elephant, which is over the bridge from the central shopping plaza (i.e. Roi Et Plaza). I've had good nights out in the bars and restaurants near the Petcharat Garden Hotel in the past, though I must admit that on my last visit most places were quiet.

Here is a guide:

http://www.roietmap.com/

A few years ago Sebastien wrote a good guide to night life in the city but I think it has been taken off the web now.

Edited by citizen33
  • Like 1

Like every other good size town or city I've been too. You can find entertainment if you look/ask around or do your research on the internet before your visit to Roi-Et. That applies to the cultural side and the night life.

Like every other good size town or city I've been too. You can find entertainment if you look/ask around or do your research on the internet before your visit to Roi-Et. That applies to the cultural side and the night life.

done plenty of research on internet. just cant find anything!! asked around and i just get blank looks as if to say 'dont know of anything!!' but i still have hope!!

are there any night clubs in roi-et??

done plenty of research on internet. just cant find anything!! asked around and i just get blank looks as if to say 'dont know of anything!!' but i still have hope!!

are there any night clubs in roi-et??

Having lived in another city not too far away from Roi Et for the last 4 years, I have come to the same conclusion about the place.

On my rare visits I don't stay out late enough to know the answer about nightclubs. My memory from a while ago is that there were one or two in the entertainment area near the Petcharat Garden Hotel. The bar directly opposite is rather like a club with the usual format of standing around tables listening to loud music, but this one doesn't warm up until very late. I also seem to remember that the Roi Et City Hotel had a nightclub in the past.

It seems to me that LT3 is in an ideal position to do some research for the rest of us. My suggestion is take a walk: start at the intersection just over the canal facing the road leading to the Petcharat (Nua Muang). Turn left and follow the road along the canal looking for bars/clubs until you come to the Mai Thai hotel, turn right along the road past the Mai Thai (Highway 214) for a block or so then turn right again. Having explored that road, turn right again on Nua Muang back past the Petcharat to your starting point. Now look left to see if there is much by the canal the other way (towards Rob Muang Soi 1). i think you'd find quite a lot of bars on that route. To complete your exploration, perhaps on another night, take in P-You bar (see link I gave above) plus Peonjit on Nai Muang XII (a couple of blocks east of the central lake) - which showed up on a search that I did for discos. Of course, it would be good to hear from a resident, my last visit to Roi Et was about 9 months ago and I don't pretend to know it well. However, I am always amazed that many expats don't seem to know their local towns at all.

Makro.

Tesco.

Garden centres.

Found a place that fits used tyres.

About it.

Surely you aren’t suggesting that a shopping trip is a substitute for a proper nocturnal expedition! There’s actually quite a lot on the internet if you do a search in Thai.

Here is Rong Beer for example. There are lots of links for this bar as well as Prop Bar, both of which seem to feature well-known Thai musicians.

The link below lists various karaoke bars and pubs around the area. Number 1 Cafe maybe looks promising. In the Thai script Peonjit is also named at Siam CD, which probably isn’t a promising sign.

http://www.google.com/maps/place?cid=14048147221249386409&q=&ved=0CHgQxgdICA&sa=X&ei=5U2rTMaLGdT5OZ_LvN0K

Edited by citizen33

• 11 years later...

Years ago, a Thai friend told me her friend could drive both of us north.  We stopped at Roi-Et.

He went into a spa with basically naked guys in some steam bath house or something.....I tried to keep a straight face, wondering what are we doing here...........

That's really all I remember.............

so if you're into that stuff, I'm sure you can find it.

i definitely looked for women, didn't see any.   

at the time, I couldn't read or speak Thai.

On 10/4/2010 at 9:47 PM, citizen33 said:

However, I am always amazed that many expats don't seem to know their local towns at all.

Amazed expats don't know every bar or places to drink?   lol

Yes, it's amazing some expats don't drink all the time and wake up at noon.   These expats should know every drink special, every bar, bar hours, bartenders, and live to drink.   

8 minutes ago, Maha Sarakham said:

The real question is, has anything changed in Roi Et in the past 12 years? ????

I saw a post on another site from a guy who was contemplating taking a job in LA.

There were two reasonable answers:

1. Well, there's a new Robinson.

2. Roi-Et is conveniently placed to explore the rest of Issan. (Read, there's more happening in other places in Issan)

• Haha 2

Showed good use of the search function, since 12 yr old thread, and curious which restaurant they are vested in, pizza or Indian ... ????

A Robinson ... they have progressed since we were there.   Wife and kid did the swans around the lake, and aquarium, the latter a bit depressing.

I sat across the street from lake eating banana splits ... and that's about it.  There's a few town in the NE that can be seen in a few hours, or less than 1.  Many moons ago, so maybe so have grown since.

NE = self entertain ... not a negative, just a reality.

48 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Showed good use of the search function, since 12 yr old thread, and curious which restaurant they are vested in, pizza or Indian ... ????

A Robinson ... they have progressed since we were there.   Wife and kid did the swans around the lake, and aquarium, the latter a bit depressing.

I sat across the street from lake eating banana splits ... and that's about it.  There's a few town in the NE that can be seen in a few hours, or less than 1.  Many moons ago, so maybe so have grown since.

NE = self entertain ... not a negative, just a reality.

Yes, totally agree - It's strange to read about people wanting to know what to do in the NE, part of the fun is discovering what to do.

Growing, learning, cooking, eating, making, etc something.

Taking photos, making friends, discovering places, finding places to buy something, working out a way to do something.

The Bombay restaurant in LA looks awesome, I cant wait for the KK branch to open - I enjoy going to Quinns, but it doesn't quite look like a BIR, Bombay LA looks the nuts.

• 1 year later...

I know the newly renovated Mai Thai Hotel is now called the M Grand that used to have a room of pay for play girls there when I was here 5 years ago.  They are now gone, along with the only soapy massage place next door in town.  Nothing good lasts forever.  I’m not sure where to go now for that type of entertainment.  Really boring here now.  Very disappointed!

• 3 weeks later...

A lot happened in 12 years. The White Elephant is closed but not Pizza 101.

i was told the Karaoke in Maithai is now closed. Rong Beer Pavillion used to be the place for fun.

i personally like the national museum in the middle on the city. Many people do not see it.

it is old, on 3 floors if I remember and gives a good idea of the Isaan Isaan.

There was a restaurant on day time name “Falk land” that I like just outside the ring road. It is peaceful, with water, you could eat in huts, even some elevated.

Maithai second floor was the aquarium for girls 15 years ago.