Pigs 101 (A Start)

IsaanAussie

Low price on piglet can interprets as there is to many sellers or that Thai people think its to expensive to raise pigs so they w8t. They are not known for thinking six months into the future, so hope we can c a more normal market during next year with prices above 60 bath/kg. With current price level, u can close your bag and go home.

well we are still taking the risk that the prices will go up,

we just had 23 piglets deliverd to us,

just have to see what happens,like i said im going to build a room for selling meat from home when i get back home from this stint, see how that goes,

jake

WOW! Ain't we pig farmers all just full of confidence? Go take a look at the Rubber topic, same. same. Rice Pledging scheme, full of doubt and suspicious motives. Now its hard all over. Here is the season of theft, money tight and things go missing. Its raining and everything is damp.

Noboby loves me,

Everybody hates me,

Think I'll go and eat some worms!

At times like this I suppose you have to take stock and make that win or lose decision, "What am I going to do?" For those that are still employed in "real jobs" it will be easier to ride out the bad times. For those buying piglets and growing them out, you can just turn off the tap for a while. For those breeding, it is actually a good time to replace your herd or establish one as the buildup time will be through a period of loss for growers and for piglet sales.

Tough call eh?

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the way i see it , yes im still working so im lucky,

but if everyone says im not going to rear there will be a shortage, theres got to be, so if we are the only ones round uswith pigs at mrk wieght in 5 months then that will be good for us, or should i say thats what im hoping,

this is thailand and things never run as we would like them too,

ill never give up this life styl, when i build the meat selling room and the wife only sells 1 pig a week,

and if you only get 75%meat ratio to a slaughterd pig,

we sell at 100bht a kilo that is still 7,500bht, it just makes sence to me to have a go at it, and maybe just maybe we could start selling more, i looked into doing the mrkt but there is a waiting list for a pitch, and they will only let one pork seller be at the mrkt, so that is out the question,

it was the head man who first gave the idea to my wife about this, we can only try, if it dosnt work ill try something else,

i would like to get to the stage were it was like a proper butchers shop, selling pork, chicken, mushrooms, onions, the stuff we grow, or even have to get up early and go to the whole sale mrkt,

but as a family we will make things work, yes i have my work as a safety net still, but that wont be there for ever, so what ever we get started we have to get it into full swing now,

just my thoughts jake

I agree Jake, try those things while you have an income stream to fund them. Good luck to you. My suggestion is to include a step that is hard to follow technically or financially for others. That should limit your competition. Think about a cold room to hang the carcass for a few days prior to butchering it at some stage.

Jake. Good idea. Essentially buying for 50Baht/kilo and selling for 75 has potential.

It is something I have been discussing with the BIL as he has for some time had the same idea.

One additional thing that may be an idea is to sell some cooked meat ie kebabs at the same time as there is an additional mark up there.

BIL would also be selling meat from his pick up by visiting local villages.

yes i will do mate, i was looking at the big glass fronted fridges, ill get there,

i would go into making sausage and things but i dont have the falang round me, so it just meat,lol,

heres the latest batch, 23 of them, i allways put plenty of straw down for them when they first come, and the wife and her mama have done the same,,

they look a good lot from the pics, ill be home on the 10th so they should of grown a bit then,

thanks for all the info you put on here,

jake,

ps yes i know theres a cockeral there, hes my mate, black tail, we bred him ourselfs, hes as tame as a robin,,lol, and breeds good laying stock,

post-32351-0-55152300-1349665015_thumb.j

post-32351-0-80619300-1349665030_thumb.j

post-32351-0-09282900-1349665043_thumb.j

Be careful on this score. There are many ways meat sales go pear shaped. Simply put at a 50% markup, there is no profit unless you can utilise at Thai rates. Western butcher usage rates will not get you there. We make money slaughtering and butchering pigs, but each goes to one customer who is buying it all bar the gall bladder.

Jake,

When you look into the fridge issue get one that has a digital readout showing temperature and proper control of temperature range. I bought one second hand that has good control, you have to know where you are to avoid moisture and texture loss.

i agree, if i could get the shop going and like i say sell for 100bht a kilo that as got to be better then selling to the man with his pickup for say 55bht a kilo, and to be honest that is what it would even out at, taking the good and the bad times,

ive told you before what i get my pigets at, so im ahead of the game there, i could say im up a 1000bht before i start,

i wonder if there is a way to process the bone,,lol

jake

right mate ill be in touch about the bones another time,

lets say when i bring your vegimite,

i cant wait to have a bear and a chat with you, will be good to put a face to the words,

ive seen bone and blood meal for sale in the garden shops in the uk,

jake

right mate ill be in touch about the bones another time,

lets say when i bring your vegimite,

i cant wait to have a bear and a chat with you, will be good to put a face to the words,

ive seen bone and blood meal for sale in the garden shops in the uk,

jake

You can have your "bear" all to yourself Jake! LOL .

You have to grind the bones up as small as possible, good source of phosphurus and calcium. There are some proteins in the marrow etc. which will yield a small amount of nitrogen. To make the bone breakable you need to either age it or heat it up. Or if you have a hammermill, then you can bash the by Jesus out of it. Some people burn the bones on a wood fire and the wood ash and bone dust are used in composting or straight into the garden. In this case the nitrogen will be lost.

Another way is to boil the bones. This reduces some of the bone to gelatin which if reduced can be used as a binder for pellets, fertiliser or feeds. The target with the feed would be to replace the dicalcium phosphate component.

Well, back to the meat side of things. Just sat down with a beer after rebagging the primal cuts, head. internals and blood of a small ham size boar, packing the bags in crushed ice in large foam boxes. Now just have to wait for the van come pick him up and he is off on his final adventure.

yes i will do mate, i was looking at the big glass fronted fridges, ill get there,

i would go into making sausage and things but i dont have the falang round me, so it just meat,lol,

heres the latest batch, 23 of them, i allways put plenty of straw down for them when they first come, and the wife and her mama have done the same,,

they look a good lot from the pics, ill be home on the 10th so they should of grown a bit then,

jake,

ps yes i know theres a cockeral there, hes my mate, black tail, we bred him ourselfs, hes as tame as a robin,,lol, and breeds good laying stock,

Don't forget Isaan sausage Jake. Very popular and I would think sold at a premium to the costs involved. They are fermented so no refrigeration necessary. Quality of what's available varies dramatically. I would think that someone who can produce an isaan sausage of consistent good quality would have a ready made market

jake,

Don't forget Isaan sausage Jake. Very popular and I would think sold at a premium to the costs involved. They are fermented so no refrigeration necessary. Quality of what's available varies dramatically. I would think that someone who can produce an isaan sausage of consistent good quality would have a ready made market

Spot on Loong! They are easy to make, we sell them and western sausages to the kids in the village. Remember Jake, there may not be many farangs lived next door but there will be a few not to far away. If you have a farang run bar or restaurant nearby, you may have a market. That simple.

The real point is in branding and this is where I think we can do each other a bit of good. Believe me, establishing that takes some work.

issan sausage, never heard of it,

could you possibly tell me how to make it,?

there isnt any falang bars near me, i suppose the nearest would be sakoe 50klicks,

but i would have a go at the issan sausage as the school is just up the road from mama house, and could put a small stall there on the road side, all the kids walk past,

would be very interested in that,,

jake

jake,

Jake not all Issan sausage is fermented. My wife makes both and the unfermented is the bigger seller and will suit the taste of both locals and Falangs.

This is how you make it.

I use a meat mix of 75% fresh coarse minced pork with 25%cured pork (bacon). You can put bits of pork trim or belly in a brine mix for 3 -4 days and then mince with pork. This will give the product a better colour. TIP If you can get salt petre add 2 t/spoons to the brine mix.

Add salt, garlic (dried,or minced), MSG and sugar to create your own individual taste. Mix well and add 25% of cold boiled rice (broken will do) If the mix seems too dry add some water it will be absorbed by the rice

Stir it all together and fill the skins loosely. Then link. See pic. Made by wife -- linked by me

post-64535-0-24457900-1349797260_thumb.j

very nice bob,

im just looking at a sausage machine now to bring back with me, or can i get one there and the casings,

jake,

thank you

I use a meat mincer and spout which I bought here. The are a range of sausage stuffers on the market here. Macro stock some near me. CHAMP markets a very wide range.

Give you a clue Jake, Don't let GB anyway near your mincer, you won't get to eat any of the pies!rolleyes.gif

I buy salted casings at a local supermarket. Of course you have your own supply if your start butchering.

very nice bob,

im just looking at a sausage machine now to bring back with me, or can i get one there and the casings,

jake,

thank you

I use a meat mincer and spout which I bought here. The are a range of sausage stuffers on the market here. Macro stock some near me. CHAMP markets a very wide range.

Give you a clue Jake, Don't let GB anyway near your mincer, you won't get to eat any of the pies!rolleyes.gif

I buy salted casings at a local supermarket. Of course you have your own supply if your start butchering.

You'll never let me forget that. I bet you still lie in bed at night thinking about that pommie bustard who ate all the pies!

post-64535-0-95316800-1349873940_thumb.j

I've sent you a dozen. These can be reconstituted electronicaly. Follow these instructions.

Click on image to expand.

Print on non glossy paper and then soak overnight.

Place on an oven tray and bake in a hot oven for 20 min

Enjoy

It is best to try this after consuming 20 cans of Leo

GB

very nice bob,

jake,

thank you

Jake

To test the market just get a small "all in one" Mincer and sausage stuffer. There are loads of cheapies from about £40 but I would ignore them they are cheap imports go for a Kenwood. They are a bit dearer but all kenwood products are great IMO.

Look on Amazon you will get a good deal new or refurb. Just type Kenwood Mincer into the search box.

Bob

got one bob,

i went a bit mad, i got casings, 2 different kinds, and i coulnt resist getting some linolnshire sausage mix,,lol,

i got some extra nozzles to, different sizes,

it looks ok, ill give it a go when i get back home,

thanks for your help,,

jake

Thanks GB but I'll have to modify the recipe to bottles not cans! Like the pies I'll drink them all and think of you rolleyes.gif

Jake, good idea if you have a look for a few butchers knives and a steel. Can probably get them in Bangkok but I cannot find anything here.

got one bob,

i went a bit mad, i got casings, 2 different kinds, and i coulnt resist getting some linolnshire sausage mix,,lol,

i got some extra nozzles to, different sizes,

it looks ok, ill give it a go when i get back home,

thanks for your help,,

jake

If you're not sure about linling, this may help

Yesterday morning I went to the sty to find our landrace boar dead. The only sign was a rectal prolapse. Moving a dead 350kg boar is a challenge and the hole to bury him in is another. I was going to cull him which would have been equally a challenge. At least this way he didnt fight back.

sorry to hear that mate,

bloody farming allways something else,

just reminds me of when we was having a go at breeding our own pigs,

i went down to the pigs one morning and there was princes and 6 healthy piglets, great i thought, this isnt to bad afterall,

brownie another sow, was due about 2 weeks later,, well, i was up with her all one night nothing, all the signs,,

the next nite, she had one still born, i said ring pung a freind, he came, said we had done everything ok, but no more piglets,

given in one hand and taken out the other,, thats when im said , well just buy them in, i used to like having the big girls around,

jake

wife just brought her hand sausage maker, and her mincer from uk to ubon (thought suitcases a bit heavy) and was making issan style sausages for family etc, her intentions are to make them as a business on our next few month stay she has already booked a couple market stalls in ubon area,

the cleaned skins are a bit difficult to get, but have seen frozen ones in mackro, issan aussie can you say where you buy yours ?, you can buy them from meat markets early mornings.

wifes contain meat, pork skin, noodles etc and go down a bundle in uk..

regards scotty

We have a Thai supermarket in Khukhan, they stock casings in salt. From memory about 600 baht a kg.

If your can find such a general store near you, ask them if they have them.

When we kill a pig for our own consumption and for bacon and sausages, then obviously we use the casing for that pig. Usually it all gets packed off to our restaurant and small goods customers.

Re the boar, didn't bury him, burnt him instead.

We have a Thai supermarket in Khukhan, they stock casings in salt. From memory about 600 baht a kg.

If your can find such a general store near you, ask them if they have them.

When we kill a pig for our own consumption and for bacon and sausages, then obviously we use the casing for that pig. Usually it all gets packed off to our restaurant and small goods customers.

Re the boar, didn't bury him, burnt him instead.

What on a Barbie with a few Tinnies

Archived