Best A D S L Router/Modem

Phil Conners

This model (Thomson, also called Speedtouch) is about 5 years old and it is not wireless. You will need to add in an access point for wireless service.

http://www.speedguid...-view.php?hw=31

I don't need wireless for my application. Is the Thomson no longer manufactured? If so what is the best ADSL modem readily available for wired (non-wireless) use?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was recommened to me several weeks back to try the Thomson 536 modem. I was just.about to order that model, but after. reading this thread, I'm a bit curious as to why it hasn't been mentioned.I was under the impression that it was the best, or nearly the best, option for use. in Thailand.

Any thoughts about the Thomson 536 modem?

Don't know about that particular model but I have had some problems with the 585 v7 when I opened up port 80 for a webserver for a friend... the thing refused to do it the GUI way, It kept the adminpage on port 80 until I found this below in a forum:

I went to that other forum and eventually somewhere else (this kitz page about the 585 v7), and then I logged in via telnet and typed config dump, which showed me a massive list of stuff including:

[ servmgr.ini ]

ifadd name=PPTP group=lan

ifadd name=HTTP group=lan

ifadd name=HTTP group=wan <-------

ifadd name=HTTPs group=lan

ifadd name=FTP group=lan

ifadd name=FTP group=wan

ifadd name=TELNET group=lan

ifadd name=TELNET group=wan <-------

ifadd name=DNS-S group=lan

See where I've put the arrows, that shows access from the outside is enabled. So then I ran these commands:

service system ifdelete name HTTP group wan

service system ifdelete name TELNET group wan

saveall

system reboot

Edited by siamect

I don't need wireless for my application. Is the Thomson no longer manufactured? If so what is the best ADSL modem readily available for wired (non-wireless) use?

What you are looking for is a All-In-One ADSL2/2+ modem and wired router. Common popular brands sold in shops here are DLink, Netgear, Belkin, Billion. Zyxel, etc.

Choose one that fits your budget and line speed. You will need ADSL2+ for line speed of 10 Mbps and higher.

The Belkin N-150 is a combo of ADSL modem and N-series wireless router. Been using it for over 2 months with 3BB line in one of my condo, and just bought another for my home that has a 10 Mbps True line.

Belkin also has a basic N-series wireless router (without the modem) called N-150 that is selling for around Bt1,100. The unit with the modem is priced at Bt1,790.

https://www.ibuyathome.com/product/e8db2b66-5fed-4a3f-874a-2dd72ca868c5.aspx?view=review〈=th&action=writereview

OK, sorry. I see that N150 is the 'family' name rather than the model number (WiFi: N, top speed: 150 Mbps), and that there are at least four N150 'routers', one of which has an ADSL2+ modem: http://belkin.com/uk/support/article/?lid=enu&pid=F6D4630uk4A&aid=14860&scid=314. A bit confusing. Anyway, the page you linked shows a price of 2,650 baht but you say you paid 1,790 baht. Can you tell us where you purchased it and why the price difference?

Edited by lomatopo

A Little off topic, but after my line flapping for the last few weeks on TOT with the Zyxel or any modem, I decided to ring CAT, I rang 1322 and pressed 1 for english and got Sorry we are closed, please go to our office in the Mall in Bang Kapi.

So much for changing to CAT, was looking to get G.SHDSL instead of ADSL and get rid of a lot of these problems.

The Belkin N-150 is a combo of ADSL modem and N-series wireless router. Been using it for over 2 months with 3BB line in one of my condo, and just bought another for my home that has a 10 Mbps True line.

Belkin also has a basic N-series wireless router (without the modem) called N-150 that is selling for around Bt1,100. The unit with the modem is priced at Bt1,790.

https://www.ibuyatho...ion=writereview

OK, sorry. I see that N150 is the 'family' name rather than the model number (WiFi: N, top speed: 150 Mbps), and that there are at least four N150 'routers', one of which has an ADSL2+ modem: http://belkin.com/uk...14860&scid=314. A bit confusing. Anyway, the page you linked shows a price of 2,650 baht but you say you paid 1,790 baht. Can you tell us where you purchased it and why the price difference?

Cannot remember the name of the shop, but it is a large shop that sells laptops, cameras, comp accessories, LCD TVs, etc at the end of the passage way next to Bangkok Bank, 1st Floor Seacon Square.

They are having sales promotions, one side with Belkin and the other with DLink.

Add: Just checked the sticker at the bottom of my Belkin. The shop is IT City.

Edited by trogers

They are having sales promotions, one side with Belkin and the other with DLink.

Add: Just checked the sticker at the bottom of my Belkin. The shop is IT City.

Yes, Belkin does seem to be promoting their new line. In one shop there are huge handwritten signs on the Belkin display; "Modem", and "No Modem"! It looks like they have four 'lines': Basic, Surf, Share and Play Max is ascending (price, functionality) order with and without modems. And yes, the 'Basic', all-in-one (ADSL modem, 4-port ethernet router and WiFi:N/150 Mbps) model (F7D1401SA) is 1,790 baht. Other than older G models, this appears to be the least expensive model in this class. The 'Surf' version (N/300 Mbps) is 2,790 baht.

Good to hear you've had good luck with this unit for 2 months; am hoping more buy this and follow-up with their experiences.

A Little off topic, but after my line flapping for the last few weeks on TOT with the Zyxel or any modem, I decided to ring CAT, I rang 1322 and pressed 1 for english and got Sorry we are closed, please go to our office in the Mall in Bang Kapi.

So much for changing to CAT, was looking to get G.SHDSL instead of ADSL and get rid of a lot of these problems.

Be careful if you do.

The modems are much more expensive than adsl (7k+) and different to get hold of.

Thais have no idea what a G.SHDSL modem is, but they do understand G dot.

The worst part is that CAT (in Pattaya at least) don't sell the modem and the one and only modem I found in the whole of Pattaya was known to drop connections regularly with CAT.

We ended up switching our package to ADSL instead.

Time for some feedback: I ended up purchasing a Linksys WRT54GL from Wattana on Pattaya Klang for 2,190 (note: same model is sold for 2,390 in Wattana's Tukcom branch, buyer beware. Maybe not a big deal though still 10% difference). I already had a ASUS modem I got from Maxnet once but never used, which could be set in bridge mode with the Linksys. This has worked now for 3 days without needing any reset's so I'm crossing fingers here that it solved my primary problem.

Only drawback with this setup so far is that I can't find any way to see my connection speed or line quality properties, anyone know if I overlooked something I'd open for corrections.

I have an elderly Belkin Wireless ADSL Router in my house' date=' and ADSL goes down at least every 2-3 days where I have to reset (power cycle) the modem to get it to work again.

[/quote']

Before throwing that Belkin away, try disabling the firmware auto update feature and see if it still give you trouble.

I have an elderly Belkin Wireless ADSL Router in my house' date=' and ADSL goes down at least every 2-3 days where I have to reset (power cycle) the modem to get it to work again.

[/quote']

Before throwing that Belkin away, try disabling the firmware auto update feature and see if it still give you trouble.

It's already on the shelf (see previous post). I don't think it has any firmware auto update feature to be honest, I never noticed one anyway.

• 4 months later...

Update. After the thunderstorms last week the old Asus/Maxnet modem was fried so I had to again look for a new modem. Had a look at the WAG120N and as it is a Linksys (Cisco) and it looked nice I though I'd give it a chance.

The first WAG120N I brought home couldn't go faster than 100kbps. First I though it was a problem with the line but the 3BB tech brought his cheap Chinese modem and that worked fine, so I brought the WAG120N back to Wattana. After an hours arguing and showing them the problem they finally gave me another (same model) under protest, insisting the problem would be my line.

The replacement worked fine though, full speed both up and down. But after a day or so I realized that every time 3BB reset the connection (happens every once in a while, sometimes several times a day, other days not at all, the tech has already checked the line and insist it is 100% ok) the WAG120N doesn't automatically reconnect. Once I login to the web interface and hit 'connect', or simply turn it off and on, it connects ok, but it should do it by itself automatically. The "automatically reconnect" switch is of course ticked in the setup.

So this is another vote against the WAG120N. I'm going back with it tomorrow, hope they will refund my money....

After the thunderstorms last week the old Asus/Maxnet modem was fried

I learnt my lesson the hard way a few years back.

Always turn off your computer (including modems/routers) during a thunderstorm.

Also unplug the RJ-11 connection to the modem. This is usually how they get fried.

In this thread the TP-Link TD-W89060N received good marks. I've seen these in many shops in Bangkok, so assume they are widely avalable throughout Thailand.

• 1 month later...

I just dumped my Belkin ADSL Modem, which required frequent reboot as it would disconnect or freeze, to an TP-Link TD-W89060N, and so far so good. Tonight, It hold the connection in the rain, whereas the Belkin would warned you about the coming storm ... by freezing your connections.

Should have done this long ago.

Agree 100%. Changed my 120N for the TP-Link 17 days ago and have not had a problem since. The 120N often required manual reset (full power down several times) to connect and never connected at what an old D-Link did (before they set line speed). After 2 weeks TP-Link appears to be far better.

I just dumped my Belkin ADSL Modem, which required frequent reboot as it would disconnect or freeze, to an TP-Link TD-W89060N, and so far so good. Tonight, It hold the connection in the rain, whereas the Belkin would warned you about the coming storm ... by freezing your connections.

Should have done this long ago.

I agree. After 4 months of frustration using the Belkin Basic N-150, including several hours of phone support, I shelved it and bought the TP-Link W8960N (300). What a difference. Fantastic.

Belkin has offered a replacement under warranty as I was sure I had a crap unit. I will probably take them up on it as otherwise I completely wasted Bt. 1790. The question then is, what will I do with it?

how much is the tp link 8960N i can't seem to find an online price with the usual three invade, j.i.b and banana it.

they seem pretty popular with good support in Thailand.

thanks

About Bt.3300.

Actually a little less expensive than a N300 D-Link.

how much is the tp link 8960N i can't seem to find an online price with the usual three invade, j.i.b and banana it.

they seem pretty popular with good support in Thailand.

thanks

About Bt.3300.

Actually a little less expensive than a N300 D-Link.

thanks thinking of changing the huawei smartax and my linksys wrt54gl setup to "N", should be a lot better.

I bought my TD-W8960N 17 days ago at 2,500 baht from first shop on left side of 3rd (3/11) floor at Fortune (Zonelink Co) and did not bargain - believe you can get for 1 or 2 hundred less. Was first shop I checked and they had many in front case (also other models).

Seems most lean towards Linksys WRT54G as I expected. I understand this needs a "modem" to connect to the phone line. There seems to be a lot of variations of the WRT54xxx - I'm sure there must be one with a modem built in (I don't want too many gadgets collecting dust). Is this line still in production at all? I've seen a couple of Linksys in Tukcom and they all look quite futuristic, not like the classic WRT54G.

I use the Cisco Linksys WAG54G2 - has the modem built-in. Works great and fully configurable.

Has anyone come across a VDSL modem in their networking shopping travels? If one exists for sale in Bangkok...I'm having trouble finding it. I found one guy at Pantip who actually knew there was a difference between ADSL and VDSL, but he didn't have any in stock and was less than reassuring in his vague non-committal to estimating a time frame.

TrueOnline claim they can't sell me one. I'm still shaking my head trying to make sense of that, but I've asked 3 times and it's a flat No every time....

----------

Oh I have a D-Link DIR-655 wireless router that I'm pretty happy with. Definitely noticeably faster speeds bridging it with the issued all-in-one ZTE than just using the crappy issued wireless router. I'm less happy that I was so dull as to buy it without knowing that modems and routers weren't technically...um the same. But yeah, good wireless router...hecka need a modem but...

Edited by TheyCallmeScooter

Has anyone come across a VDSL modem in their networking shopping travels? If one exists for sale in Bangkok...I'm having trouble finding it.

Just for the retarded record, as it turns out, Bangkok has a healthy range of VDSL modems. Hidden away in the last place one could be expected to look, discovered with a Google search "VDSL modems". Donks who don't understand marketing...it's a disgrace.

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4350615

Sorry to interrupt the thread.

To the poster above, I had a ToT connection last year which was 8Mbps/0.5 and far better than my TrueOnline 70Mbps/25 this year (go figure). I was using a Linksys Wireless-G ADSL2+ Gateway WAG54G2 and I couldn't honestly remember having the slightest complaint about it. It's not N wireless which is apparently the "must have" range now, but it's been sitting under my desk for 6 months now almost, and gathering dust - you're more than welcome to it if it's worth your time or the FoodbyPhone rider's time to deliver it (if you're in Bangkok).

aN9cL.jpg

Disclaimer: I haven't even switched it on for half a year, and am only 70% certain I can find the cords and whatnot, so it will be an "as is" deal lol, but the price is probably right...

I am a big fan of TPLINK products, but they are way overpriced in LOS. In China and HK they are at least 50 percent cheaper. So if anyone is taking a trip to these places, it might be worth it to buy there.