How Long To Clear A Us Check

Hi All,

An insurance company in the US owes me a fairly large sum of money. They say they can't wire transfer the funds to my US bank account as I requested, and will only mail me a check to my Thai address. My question is how long does it typically take for a US check to clear after deposited in Kasikorn Bank. I don't need the money immediately, but don't want to wait months before accessing the funds. Any current experience with this will be appreciated.

SCB told me 45 days; a friend had one of his take 60 days, but I am not sure of his bank.

Someone had a posting on here a week or so ago about a bank in the States that now allows their customers to scan a check and email the image to them for a deposit....no need for the original check to be sent.

Here is a quick Google search: http://www.google.com/search?q=scan+a+check+for+deposit&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGLL_th

Another option is to sign the check and mail (EMS or FedEx) it to your bank in America for them to deposit.

My U.S. banks have always required my signature on a check being deposited (which I think is a stupid policy).

This is why I just had an old tax return check mailed to me in Thailand, so I could deposit it in SCB, rather then signing and mailing back to the U.S.

My current banks in the States are Chase and Bank of America.

A few years ago my uncle was going to deposit a check for me but Washington Mutual required my signature and he was unable to duplicate my chicken scratch.

So might want to check with your bank first.

Yes, I'm pretty sure an endorsement is still required. Thanks.

My U.S. banks have always required my signature on a check being deposited (which I think is a stupid policy).

This is why I just had an old tax return check mailed to me in Thailand, so I could deposit it in SCB, rather then signing and mailing back to the U.S.

My current banks in the States are Chase and Bank of America.

A few years ago my uncle was going to deposit a check for me but Washington Mutual required my signature and he was unable to duplicate my chicken scratch.

So might want to check with your bank first.

• 1 year later...