One Dead, Two Critical Injured Following Phuket Horror Smash

webfact

WOW , does anyone look surprise about this accident ??????????? Not me ..those truck drivers , mini van drivers , bus drivers are totally nuts behind their wheels , how many accident have been reported already here involving truck or buses ? Does anything changed in Thailand ? of course not ..... and those are such coward that they flee the accident scene to avoid too many question , that is outrageous but unfortunately happen every day..even more in Bangkok , how many of us have seen drivers who cross at red lights ? I see about 2 or 3 per days sometime more.

Let me remind you 15,000 people died in traffic accident every year and more than one million injured. Amazing Thailand indeed

It is is not just these guys, it is about 99% of Thai drivers - talk about Jekyll and Hide!!! Put a Thai behind the wheel of a car and they lose all manners, lose all sensibility and have no concept of how to control a vehicle. Any idiot can go fast by putting the foot down but Thai drivers (taxis included) are road users NOT drivers. No-one here has ever been taught to 'drive'. The Police do nothing to control the stupidity, lane drifts, failure to keep left, overtaking on the left, push, shove, using an indicator and thinking that gives you right of way and so on. And frankly it has been out of control for so long now I doubt it is reversible.

I would also make the point in favour of the driver - although clearly - running a red light - if that is a fact, he is still responsible. I have driven road trains (68 tonnes) and rigs down as low as 14 tonnes and when a red light suddenly looms (look at his load), even at low speeds with a greasy wet road as in this instance, he may well have hit the brakes but would have pushed himself into a jack-knife and may have just touched them, realised he could not stop and had no alternative. 22 wheels means his load would have been around 20 tonnes and his cab and engine would only have been 8 at maximum. Thus 20 tonnes pushing 8 - that is how the jack-knife can occur.

On the incoming traffic - just look - bikes jump lights everywhere thinking - stupidly - they can call it "right of way" and be the devil may care attitude is what gets them killed. In this instance you have a huge mass moving and the kids still pulled out without due care or perhaps even looking - it takes two to have an accident. And read the report again - there was 3 on the bike!

So in this case - yes the driver ran away - most likely - the kids were injured and killed, and the police are investigating. But it all comes back to education. The roads are dangerous even for skilled drivers and Thai's 'track' record for road safety is almost non existent. It starts at the top. I'll get off my soap box now.

Edited by asiawatcher

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So sad. Unfortunately all too common here. It does seem to be true what the Thai's say: The higher the driver sits, the more self-important and aggressive the driver.

How true.

Now I know why they all drive those trucks and the seat is so high or is it because they are pint size and can not look over the steering wheel.

Truck Drivers and Bus Drivers operate their vehicles like absolute idiots. They constantly cut off vehicles and motorbikes. They figure they are bigger, so they are first, regardless of the circumstances.

It is amazing though, when they hit or Kill someone. They are always quick to run and hide. It is just a matter of time before they catch him. I hope they throw away the key when they do, but we know that won't happen. If he has some cash. He will get a slap on the wrist, maybe?

My condolences to the Dead and injured people and their families.

Please don't forget to include the idiot red and gray vans speeding around carrying the school kids. They drive extremely fast without regard to traffic conditions or traffic congestion. Flash flash get out of my way, I'm more important than everyone else on the road. They pass on curves, up hills, and through changing lights. In the early morning to save electricitiy they drive with their lights off so you can't see them coming in the fast lane. They then whip in front of you practically before they are a car length ahead. Is it no wonder so many die.

The locals in Phuket drive like maniacs, I live here and I can honestly say I have never seen such bad, aggressive driving anywhere in the world compared to this place. This said I feel deeply for the poor girl and her family who are left to pick up their lives with such an empty void.. This person who was driving this killing machine which is what a 10 ton 20 wheel lump of steel is needs to be hunted down fast.

Why do the thai police let these stupid fools drive like crazy on this island? Why don't they enforce the law (if there is any law left).. I see everyday stupidity of people on motorbikes as well as cars, they don't have any consideration for other road users period..

Common sense, consideration and respect for others have not yet developed in the Thai gene pool. Sad fact.

i think thats a stupid thing to say, they have an amazing amount of patience, common sense and consideration in ways westerners couldn't conceive unfortunately thats more often not the case ... Even on the BTS I ve had people completely cut right in front of me while waiting on line but I checked him real quick... Regardless the buses, minivans and some bikers are maniacs I have a bike and hope i dont ever end up like poor old girl there...RIP

So sad. Unfortunately all too common here. It does seem to be true what the Thai's say: The higher the driver sits, the more self-important and aggressive the driver.

How true.

RIP. I watched two cars prior to the truck jump these lights. One at around ten o' clock and another at about eleven thirty. These lights don't mean diddly to motorists at all. To think that some a hole wants to make this an underground tunnel intersection, the mind is filled with horror images of broken bodies and vehicles. Phuket is a dangerous place to drive full stop.

Another road tragedy on an intersection where it has happened before & under very similar circumstances. It is surprising there are not more like this as many will move off before the light turns green while just as many will run the red lights. Just look at any intersection with traffic lights & everyone is looking at the number counting down or watching for the amber so they can rev up & start moving. Everyday I see many drivers going through red lights when the have had ample time to stop & they do it during peak hours when the police are manning the lights yet no one is chased & brought to book.

Those who mentioned the me me attitude highlight the ever increasing selfishness of the human race as this is not peculiar to Thailand.

I blame the police and the law.

The police are all too happy to stop people on motorbikes without helmets so they can pocket their wages for the week but show absolutely no interest in apprehending drivers who crash red lights, something they could easily do if they had the will or the inclination.

The problem is that anyone stopped for hurtling through a red light at 80 m.p.h - a common site where I live as these imbeciles floor it to get through lights that are changing against them, pay over a 100 baht "fine" and they're on their way.

These maniacs should be charged and prosecuted.................but it ain't gonna happen as we all know.

Edited by slim
  • Like 1

Truck Drivers and Bus Drivers operate their vehicles like absolute idiots. They constantly cut off vehicles and motorbikes. They figure they are bigger, so they are first, regardless of the circumstances.

It is amazing though, when they hit or Kill someone. They are always quick to run and hide. It is just a matter of time before they catch him. I hope they throw away the key when they do, but we know that won't happen. If he has some cash. He will get a slap on the wrist, maybe?

My condolences to the Dead and injured people and their families.

The rule of the road when I was here in the 70s was he who gets there first has the right of way...unless the other guy is bigger. The drivers run because they think it gives them plausible deniability...if you did not find me there, I wasn't there.

Driver education is almost non-existent. You can take driving lessons but all that does is get you past the test.

May God and Buddha have mercy on their souls and may he grant some solace to their families.

Some intersections have a very short yellow light. And with the countdown timers at some intersections, especially with motorbikes, they start to go before the green. Have you tried to stop a very heavy truck fast? Physics will be against you. We had an intersection in California near my house there that have a lot of accidents, the answer they came up with was a longer yellow, followed by a 15 or more second pause before the opposing light would turn green, seemed to work there. But then again, motorbikes here are always jumping the light and pulling in front of cars to do so at intersections.

Another sad ending for another young driver... A motorbike verses large vehicle, is a never win for the motorbike driver.

PS: Defensive driving, what's that?

Edited by Jimi007

RIP and condolences, of course.

However, I am not really sure why this is news. Why is this news item selected to come to my mailbox?

I live in Chiang Mai, where we frequently have horrific smashes, often far worse than this. I am sure others in other places are always seeing accidents too!

Further, I wonder what kind of agenda Thaivisa has to keep us up-to-date on everything gloomy, macabre and violence related? As soon as someone is shot then we get an email - I really don't remember many positive news stories, altho I am sure that many fantastic things happen everyday involving expats in this wonderful kingdom.

WOW , does anyone look surprise about this accident ??????????? Not me ..those truck drivers , mini van drivers , bus drivers are totally nuts behind their wheels , how many accident have been reported already here involving truck or buses ? Does anything changed in Thailand ? of course not ..... and those are such coward that they flee the accident scene to avoid too many question , that is outrageous but unfortunately happen every day..even more in Bangkok , how many of us have seen drivers who cross at red lights ? I see about 2 or 3 per days sometime more.

Let me remind you 15,000 people died in traffic accident every year and more than one million injured. Amazing Thailand indeed

It is is not just these guys, it is about 99% of Thai drivers - talk about Jekyll and Hide!!! Put a Thai behind the wheel of a car and they lose all manners, lose all sensibility and have no concept of how to control a vehicle. Any idiot can go fast by putting the foot down but Thai drivers (taxis included) are road users NOT drivers. No-one here has ever been taught to 'drive'. The Police do nothing to control the stupidity, lane drifts, failure to keep left, overtaking on the left, push, shove, using an indicator and thinking that gives you right of way and so on. And frankly it has been out of control for so long now I doubt it is reversible.

I would also make the point in favour of the driver - although clearly - running a red light - if that is a fact, he is still responsible. I have driven road trains (68 tonnes) and rigs down as low as 14 tonnes and when a red light suddenly looms (look at his load), even at low speeds with a greasy wet road as in this instance, he may well have hit the brakes but would have pushed himself into a jack-knife and may have just touched them, realised he could not stop and had no alternative. 22 wheels means his load would have been around 20 tonnes and his cab and engine would only have been 8 at maximum. Thus 20 tonnes pushing 8 - that is how the jack-knife can occur.

On the incoming traffic - just look - bikes jump lights everywhere thinking - stupidly - they can call it "right of way" and be the devil may care attitude is what gets them killed. In this instance you have a huge mass moving and the kids still pulled out without due care or perhaps even looking - it takes two to have an accident. And read the report again - there was 3 on the bike!

So in this case - yes the driver ran away - most likely - the kids were injured and killed, and the police are investigating. But it all comes back to education. The roads are dangerous even for skilled drivers and Thai's 'track' record for road safety is almost non existent. It starts at the top. I'll get off my soap box now.

There were two motorcycles, so not 3 on the bike.

The rule of the road when I was here in the 70s was he who gets there first has the right of way...

<snip>

I think the best way to look at it is that there is NO "right of way".

And a green light means "go if it is safe".

I crossed that junction in the same direction a few years ago.

I was first in the queue waiting at a red light. The lights turned green and I was off and nearly hit a bike coming from Kathu who must have had a red light showing for 3 or 4 seconds. That was before the countdown timers were installed.

I could've killed him if I hadn't stopped. I never pull away now without checking for idiots on bikes and in cars running the lights.

One tiny lapse of concentration is all it takes to kill someone.

As someone else said "a green light is an invitation to proceed".

Please don't forget to include the idiot red and gray vans speeding around carrying the school kids. They drive extremely fast without regard to traffic conditions or traffic congestion. Flash flash get out of my way, I'm more important than everyone else on the road. They pass on curves, up hills, and through changing lights. In the early morning to save electricitiy they drive with their lights off so you can't see them coming in the fast lane. They then whip in front of you practically before they are a car length ahead. Is it no wonder so many die.

To save electricity? huh.gif

dam_n i was hoping it was the thaivisa member with no helmet i saw today that ran from the tesco exit as car were coming in, almost crashing into one, then wai'ing then accelerating fast and almost hitting an other incoming car(he never looked in front of him).

Nothing else to say.. it's so normal here to run a redlight.. i mean i just saw 4 cars run a redlight 8 secs AFTER it had turned red.. in front of a few policeman looking at their own junk

There were two motorcycles, so not 3 on the bike.

There is absolutely 0,0000000% of a chance that the kids on the motorbike ever looking in their mirrors for anything else than to fix their makeup.

It's almost all of the truck driver's fault but the kids were pprobably going to die soon either way, i have yet to see one student not driving like a maniac. I live near many school and no exageration, not a single one of them has ever looked for incoming traffic or stopped when a car was going fast towards them.

Phuket is a dangerous place to drive full stop.

No more so than anywhere else in Thailand but far less so than many other places I've lived and visited! One point in Phuket's favour is that many drivers here are accustomed to farang driving standards which is not the case elsewhere, so much easier and safer here than in the North.

this is intended not as a personal reply - it is an observation on the posts...

Slagging off the driver by people who weren't there will so not bring anyone back to life.....why do you do it?

So what are people supposed to do? Just read the article, file it the deleted folder and move on? Jeez this would be one mother of a boring forum if everybody did that. The idea of a forum is to register views and discuss things, if you don't like that....why did you reply?

The answer to all this is of course simple. Just turn the Thai police force into an honest, upright body of men and women dedicated to upholding the laws of the country no matter what.

And we all know we will witness a snowball fight between gangs of flying pigs over the river Styx before that ever happens.

Sounds a horrific accident, condolences to all the families involved. Maybe a chance for Tesco to step in and take the high ground here. If this is a notorious accident junction improve the road layout to save lifes - it looks like its outside their store.

Horrible accident ? Yes. Tesco's responsibility? None at all.

I just fell over on the broken pathway outside your house. Please send the repair crews to resurface the sidewalk.

Always no shortage of geniuses ready to spend someone elses money and then the first to complain when that results in higher prices.

It's a big, wide, open intersection with a clear view approach.

Red-light cameras and aggressive policing appear to me to be the first step.

Firstly, condolences to the family and may the young lady rest in peace.

I have to say i agree with the above statement. The only way you will be able to bring an end to these things is by enforcing the law with red light cameras, speed cameras, strong policing (i know this will never happen) fines and loosing their licence for driving while over any legal limits, on the phone, etc etc.

Unfortunatley i can not see this happening any time soon, if ever. There needs to be a restructure of the whole country and a strong government in place to make the changes that are needed and to ensure the law is enforced....... a very distant dream i think. Very sad.

When in Thailand I suggest to anyone on the road to follow the traffic laws second, and follow the laws of physics first!

When I am on my motorcycle, I do not care if the light is green, I will look both ways and always proceed with care. I will only go through an intersection full speed if cars are along the side of me providing some protection against cross traffic.

Defensive driving takes on a new meaning here.

Condolences to those involved.

Why is it so dam_n important to to BEAT THE LIGHTS. Everytime I wait at the lights, drivers take off BEFORE the lights have had a chance to change. Keep this up and you will DIE. Good Luck and Good Bye. Take more care. Slow DOWN. Why the hurry - do you want to die? You will die one day, so why make it happen EARLY?

If the truck driver had any balls whatsoever he would have stuck around to discuss what happened.

I think they are afraid of being ripped to pieces by bystanders.

That is why the offending person usually "fled the scene", mob mentality and get beaten to death on the spot. The offendor usually surrenders to the police a day or 2 after wards. That's the way it is, nothing we can do to change it, sad in the end.

RIP to the deceased and hopefully the injured will recover and have learned a lesson in this tragic event.

Sounds a horrific accident, condolences to all the families involved. Maybe a chance for Tesco to step in and take the high ground here. If this is a notorious accident junction improve the road layout to save lifes - it looks like its outside their store.

Horrible accident ? Yes. Tesco's responsibility? None at all.

I just fell over on the broken pathway outside your house. Please send the repair crews to resurface the sidewalk.

Always no shortage of geniuses ready to spend someone elses money and then the first to complain when that results in higher prices.

It's a big, wide, open intersection with a clear view approach.

Red-light cameras and aggressive policing appear to me to be the first step.

Firstly, condolences to the family and may the young lady rest in peace.

I have to say i agree with the above statement. The only way you will be able to bring an end to these things is by enforcing the law with red light cameras, speed cameras, strong policing (i know this will never happen) fines and loosing their licence for driving while over any legal limits, on the phone, etc etc.

Unfortunatley i can not see this happening any time soon, if ever. There needs to be a restructure of the whole country and a strong government in place to make the changes that are needed and to ensure the law is enforced....... a very distant dream i think. Very sad.

when taksin was around, giving bonuses to underpaid cops who actually worked and followed through was normal practice..

queue the internet warrior brigade talking about his evilness.

Come to Malaysia and you can see even worst case. Cars pile up when truck driver rammed from behind....

I found the roads in Malaysia to be a breath of fresh air. Very calm and sensible. If someone was driving like an idiot, their car almost always had Thai plate on it.

Agreed.. people tend to obey traffic lights, wear helmets, etc etc etc