One Dead, Two Critical Injured Following Phuket Horror Smash

webfact

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phuket is a dangerous place to drive full stop.

No more so than anywhere else in Thailand but far less so than many other places I've lived and visited! One point in Phuket's favour is that many drivers here are accustomed to farang driving standards which is not the case elsewhere, so much easier and safer here than in the North.

Dont agree at all.. I ride big bikes up north and down here.. I find northern drivers far more likely to see me, be aware that a fast bike is approaching from behind, move over left, indicate of clear.. Just generally a far higher standard of all around observation and road etiquette. Then combine it with the sheer density of traffic on the island and the north feels so much more relaxing and enjoyable to tour.

:( 1983 three buses one going south two north. One bus passes another on a hill curve and the other decides (I Think) he wont beat me! So down the hill at high speed he decides to pass him. The southbound buss going up hill with no place to go but only slow the impact of a head on collision.

Results? 33 Dead.

Among them was my Thai wife and 3 year old coming to visit me in Songkla. One surviving bus driver was never found. :annoyed:

So Songkran holiday is not one I celebrate :ermm:

:( 1983 three buses one going south two north. One bus passes another on a hill curve and the other decides (I Think) he wont beat me! So down the hill at high speed he decides to pass him. The southbound buss going up hill with no place to go but only slow the impact of a head on collision.

Results? 33 Dead.

Among them was my Thai wife and 3 year old coming to visit me in Songkla. One surviving bus driver was never found. :annoyed:

Very sorry to hear that meelousee. I hope you never have anything like that in your life again. Good luck to you.

Witnesses told the Gazette that the truck, traveling on the bypass road southbound, ran a red light as westbound traffic pulled out of Yaowarat Road in the direction of Kathu.

I find this questionable.

a.) Motorcycles normally pull out of the intersection a few seconds before it turns green.

b.) Only two motorcycles were hit, they were obviously not paying attention to where they were driving as other motorists avoided it.

What I believe happened is that the truck was heading to the intersection avoiding breaking down the slope in order to reach a green light. The two motorcycles ignored the oncoming vehicle and entered the intersection. The truck may have just gone through a red-light, but only just, to have hit any traffic in the intersection, the traffic would have also had to speed off into the intersection while the light was still red.

If you've ever driven in thailand you'll find it an all too common occurrence to see children cutting you off in a dangerous way (for them). I'm not saying that's the case here, but I wouldn't be so quick to judge the truck driver.

Sorry, but I guess when the truck driver made a red light, and disappeared after the crash, it looks like it was his fault.

RIP young girl, my condolences to her family and friends. :jap:

And of course a fully and fast recovery of the injured.

Edited by sirchai

What I believe happened is that the truck was heading to the intersection avoiding breaking down the slope in order to reach a green light. The two motorcycles ignored the oncoming vehicle and entered the intersection. The truck may have just gone through a red-light, but only just, to have hit any traffic in the intersection, the traffic would have also had to speed off into the intersection while the light was still red.

If you've ever driven in thailand you'll find it an all too common occurrence to see children cutting you off in a dangerous way (for them). I'm not saying that's the case here, but I wouldn't be so quick to judge the truck driver.

I drive through that junction almost daily and this makes complete sense to me. Every time I pull up at that junction the car is surrounded by motorbikes. They anticipate when the lights will change and set off before the actual change. No one ever looks to see if it is safe. The truck approaching the lights doesn't slow down as he thinks he can beat the red, he goes through after the lights have changed but already the kids are in his path.

As a qualified UK driving instructor I think that the majority of drivers on Phuket should not have a licence as they do not have the ability to control a vehicle and appreciate what is occuring around them at the same time, it's one or the other.

Nobody cares , nothing will change dont even know why they bother reporting it, except of course an opportuniy to rubber neck the remains of someone, bring a camera have a picnic make a day of it "sick"

Sad, but true... I have never understood the morbid attention that Thais give to gruesome scenes such as this accident...

I just left Thailand after 3 weeks visiting my wife--I wont drive on a two lane highway after sundown--noticeably absent is much common sense, including not turning on one's headlights until it is pitch black--I dont mean dusk, I mean pitch black--and all the motorbikes that have no tail lights or also run with their lights off--I think they must think that it saves gas--there is no other explanation. The last day I was there and driving to Khon Kaen airport I saw 3 dead dogs on the road in the space of 10 minutes--which was really sad for me--others may think it normal, but if you live in the states most of the time, seeing the non-human carnage is upsetting. My wife told me that if you hit a motorbike that you are "always" at fault and if a bus/truck hits a car the former are always at fault--regarding of who was at actual fault--the concept being that the bigger one has to look out for the littlier one--maybe that's why the truck driver ran away regardless of the actual facts--that's what she told me, whether that is true in all cases I dont know, but I wouldnt doubt it.

My wife told me that if you hit a motorbike that you are "always" at fault and if a bus/truck hits a car the former are always at fault--regarding of who was at actual fault--the concept being that the bigger one has to look out for the littlier one--maybe that's why the truck driver ran away regardless of the actual facts--that's what she told me, whether that is true in all cases I dont know, but I wouldnt doubt it.

That may be true in fault finding but the prevailing mentality is biggest vehicle wins. Edited by Soupdragon

Results? 33 Dead.

I'm really very sorry to hear this. Guess it's time that all of us will realize how deadly a car or truck can be. There's no law out on the streets. Cheers. :jap:

Inevitable when:-

1) Many people start to cross before red turns to green (they are watching the light for the traffic that has a green).

2) Many people will still keep going even after green has turned to red (the "always time for one more" mentality).

I see that so often it no longer becomes an issue with me. I just expect it to happen. However, that does not absolve the driver for running a red light.. In Thailand, it seems might is right. Sad story indeed. Reminds me of the terrible crash in Lamphun last year where the truck driver smashed through several intersections, killing over a dozen people while doing so. Another very sad story in Thailand's long list of terrible accidents.

WOW , does anyone look surprise about this accident ??????????? Not me ..those truck drivers , mini van drivers , bus drivers are totally nuts behind their wheels , how many accident have been reported already here involving truck or buses ? Does anything changed in Thailand ? of course not ..... and those are such coward that they flee the accident scene to avoid too many question , that is outrageous but unfortunately happen every day..even more in Bangkok , how many of us have seen drivers who cross at red lights ? I see about 2 or 3 per days sometime more.

Let me remind you 15,000 people died in traffic accident every year and more than one million injured. Amazing Thailand indeed

It is is not just these guys, it is about 99% of Thai drivers - talk about Jekyll and Hide!!! Put a Thai behind the wheel of a car and they lose all manners, lose all sensibility and have no concept of how to control a vehicle. Any idiot can go fast by putting the foot down but Thai drivers (taxis included) are road users NOT drivers. No-one here has ever been taught to 'drive'. The Police do nothing to control the stupidity, lane drifts, failure to keep left, overtaking on the left, push, shove, using an indicator and thinking that gives you right of way and so on. And frankly it has been out of control for so long now I doubt it is reversible.

I would also make the point in favour of the driver - although clearly - running a red light - if that is a fact, he is still responsible. I have driven road trains (68 tonnes) and rigs down as low as 14 tonnes and when a red light suddenly looms (look at his load), even at low speeds with a greasy wet road as in this instance, he may well have hit the brakes but would have pushed himself into a jack-knife and may have just touched them, realised he could not stop and had no alternative. 22 wheels means his load would have been around 20 tonnes and his cab and engine would only have been 8 at maximum. Thus 20 tonnes pushing 8 - that is how the jack-knife can occur.

On the incoming traffic - just look - bikes jump lights everywhere thinking - stupidly - they can call it "right of way" and be the devil may care attitude is what gets them killed. In this instance you have a huge mass moving and the kids still pulled out without due care or perhaps even looking - it takes two to have an accident. And read the report again - there was 3 on the bike!

So in this case - yes the driver ran away - most likely - the kids were injured and killed, and the police are investigating. But it all comes back to education. The roads are dangerous even for skilled drivers and Thai's 'track' record for road safety is almost non existent. It starts at the top. I'll get off my soap box now.

I have never heard so much concentrated crap in my life! If the operator of any vehicle is traveling at a speed where he cannot stop for a traffic light, he is culpable for any accident he may cause. Speed should be adjusted for road conditions. If you are driving any vehicle, no matter what weight under whatever road conditions, what is your excuse for not being able to stop at a traffic light giving the normal sequence of lights?

Any driver who takes a runner should be charged with leaving the scene, with penalties the same as if he was drunk, drugged and masturbating at the time.

And if there was 3 on the bike, thank heavens it wasn't a baht bus full of school kids.

There was no sign of the driver at the scene when the Gazette arrived, but his rig was parked near the intersection

so did he do a runner ? or already arrested ?

with all this cases of the driver ' escaping ' before the police arrive, and 9/10 times its a company truck, i think the Company should be held responsible ! , bit like coporate manslughter

I've seen this many time in Pattaya, the truck driver runs off and then calls the company to tell them of the accident then the company calls the police and reports the truck was stolen. No one gets into truble.

When I learned how to drive in the USA many years ago it was through a drivers education program when I was 16. We got in the car and learned how to drive as well as reading driving regulations and written tests. Does anything like this exist in Thailand? I think most Thai's pay a few hundred THB and get a drivers license. No wonder no one knows how to drive. And why should they know how to properly drive? There are no cops anywhere to ticket anyone except at some big intersection or to give speeding tickets on main highways. The entire populace drives anywhere and any way they want. Its like a video game driving around in Thailand. Motorbikes are coming from every direction where there is space to drive in.

S

Another doped monkey behind the wheel. It happends hundreds of times evey day in this country.

THAILAND is NO 1 in the world, but only in

1.reckless driving,

2.road accidents

3.death by traffic

4.egoism in traffic (but not just there)

Ask your wife, friend or any Thai you know and you will soon find out that every Thai has someone in the family killed on a road somewhere.

This is THAILAND.....nothing more to add :jap:

Come to Malaysia and you can see even worst case. Cars pile up when truck driver rammed from behind....

18 years ago on my first trip to Langkawi we rented a car there to drive in the next city. After 3km police stopped us for speeding. Just a warning, nothing more.

Very educated Policemen which speaking English. I never saw an accident in Malaysia, neither in KL, nor in Langkawi or in the rest of the country, so dont tell me

they are driving like Thais. They are egoistic in traffic too but thats Asian style....In Malaysia nobody get a driving license like a present, for sure not bus and

truckdrivers!

Tell me what you want about Malaysia, but dont tell me its people are not educated, better as Thailand will ever achieve with a government like this.

There is a lot of exaggeration in this thread.

Yes, Thai drivers have a lot of room for improvement. But they are leagues ahead of some other nationalities/countries I can think of.

Yes the annual road toll is horrific, but if you check the figures Thailand is pretty much equal to the world average. There are lots of countries that have a higher per capita toll.

Most people posting here simply do not know the circumstances of the accident (myself included). Anyone who has been in an accident knows that there are a thousand tiny details that can play a part, and will change the overall picture.

In courts of law, judges, lawyers, doctors, and other experts often spend weeks in trials trying to determine where the blame lies for a particular road accident. It is complicated. Witnesses are fallible. It's rarely black and white.

Perhaps it's worth mulling these points over before making snap judgements.

if it is proved the driver did run the red light and the bikes did not pull across the junction before the lights had turned green - the driver should be jailed the same as anyone committing a murder - i see everyday trucks not stopping at red lights - they simply flash their lights to say they are coming through and just carry on - including cars - there seems to be a lack of safety when it comes to a red light changing - MUST BE TO DO WITH THE WAY THEY PASS THEIR TEST AND GET A LICENCE

Witnesses told the Gazette that the truck, traveling on the bypass road southbound, ran a red light as westbound traffic pulled out of Yaowarat Road in the direction of Kathu.

I find this questionable.

a.) Motorcycles normally pull out of the intersection a few seconds before it turns green.

b.) Only two motorcycles were hit, they were obviously not paying attention to where they were driving as other motorists avoided it.

The article says that the truck driver ran a RED light. The truck driver also ran away because he knows he was wrong.

RIP and condolences, of course.

However, I am not really sure why this is news. Why is this news item selected to come to my mailbox?

I live in Chiang Mai, where we frequently have horrific smashes, often far worse than this. I am sure others in other places are always seeing accidents too!

Further, I wonder what kind of agenda Thaivisa has to keep us up-to-date on everything gloomy, macabre and violence related? As soon as someone is shot then we get an email - I really don't remember many positive news stories, altho I am sure that many fantastic things happen everyday involving expats in this wonderful kingdom.

There IS no agenda.

We are just providing information.

If you are not interested in this topic then why bother to read it? <_<

Yes, the teenagers on motorbikes in Thailand are a menace, mostly to themselves. Defensive driving is paramount when on a motorcycle.

I get the usefulness of counting down the time to a red light so people know when to stop but I never did understand why they display the "countdown to take-off". It's like the tree at a dragstrip to these youngsters. They are too busy trying to be the first one through the intersection to look both ways. There are far too many Darwin Awards granted in Thailand to this regard. Always sad to see it anyway because they are young and simply reckless. Like the 9 year old boy that splattered on my windshield a few years back (he was lucky-did more damage to the car).

They really need to tighten down on the requirements to drive "anything" motorized on the roads in Thailand.

So sad. Unfortunately all too common here. It does seem to be true what the Thai's say: The higher the driver sits, the more self-important and aggressive the driver.

How true, indeed.

Whether it's military officers on horse-back or the tallest member in the business-meeting holding sway, it's a tactic utilized to deploy intimidation (I'm a six-footer, myself).

Good posts, these two.

Inevitable when:-

1) Many people start to cross before red turns to green (they are watching the light for the traffic that has a green).

2) Many people will still keep going even after green has turned to red (the "always time for one more" mentality).

There are 2 things I see that creates accidents in this scenario.

1) countdown lights have no positive purpose that I can figure out, and no matter where one goes in Thailand, one common habit can be seen at every intersection with countdown lights. Motorbikes will proceed into the intersection 1-3 seconds before the light turns green for them.

There will always be cars and trucks that try to beat the yellow light, often reaching the other side of the intersection on a changed to red, light. Countdown lights should be removed everywhere.

2) Until (f)law enforcement makes a law that states anyone running away from the scene of an accident they are involved in, receives automatic charges for manslaughter (in the event of a death), hunted down, arrested, prosecuted when found guilty, do the same sentence one would receive for attacking, beating someone, and without prior intention, kills someone. They should also lose their license if they have one, be barred permanently from driving any commercial vehicle. If caught with no license, add to the punishment.

I could go on, but the rest of you have covered that in this and other threads over the years.

As a grandparent with 14 grandkids from college down to elementary grades, my heart wrenches over the loss of this student, who had a full life ahead of her.

So sad. Unfortunately all too common here. It does seem to be true what the Thai's say: The higher the driver sits, the more self-important and aggressive the driver.

While I completely agree with your statement, it is also fatally flawed.

How does this rule pertain to the aggressive, lawless, callous motorbike riders who seem to ride about within a veil of complete invincibility. While this does not include every motorbike rider in Thailand, I would say that it very likely includes a high percentage of the motorbike riders that are involved in accidents.

I have been a motorbike rider for years (and on bikes much bigger than seen in Thailand), I have always been very aware that if I am involved in an accident, of any kind with any vehicle, I am the one that will get hurt. So because of this I ride, rode accordingly safe, and protective of my own life.

Now a truck moving at speed is not that hard to see, surely it is easier to see than the ant like motorbikes that swarm all over the cars and truck at the traffic lights everywhere here in Thailand. Why did the motorbike riders involved in this accident not see or hear the truck coming, and be somewhat responsible for their own safety, well, that is because the motorbike riders are invincible. Unless they are hit by a 20 tonne 22 wheeler, which in case they are still alright because the motorbike riders are rarely at fault in an accident, so mai bpen rai. The family will claim the losses against the driver of the truck, who possibly could not stop, the road was wet (as seen in the pictures) and supposedly slippery.

Added to this, we will take a vote. How many car drivers here have seen ALL of the motorbikes at traffic lights wait until there actually is a green light for them??????? Or do they start on their journey with about 3 seconds of red still showing......

The road laws pertaining to motorbike riders need to be at least looked at to see if the law could have played a part in this accident. Sadly I do not think that this will happen.

let's not talk about the thai visa member i saw last night in phuket town driving with no helmet with his wife in the back and his kid in the front(jumping on the mirrors) zigzagging in the dark(8:30pm).

or the one i saw yesterday with his very overweight gf (they live near an university in a 3000baht room so im guessing hes a web designer) zigzagging at a busy intersection(fresh market) because he was trying to take off his helmet now that no police were around.. Stopping to take it off, or keeping it on as it's already on never occured to him.

The only way to help people drive better is to drive your cars very fast in front of motorbikes that are crazy or on the phone, brake, make them almost crash. After 10times they might understand that they should look around and think if they don't want to die.

I have been doing this or honking at them for a few weeks and they seem to get mad at me for teaching them a lesson? that's very good progress.. no mai pen rai from them.