Student Visa Question

I apologize if this question has already been answered here. I tried the search function and was unable to find what I was looking for. I will be going to Thailand in January 2011 in order to study Thai. I am planning to stay until August of 2011. I am looking at a few Thai language schools, and I am curious about how the visa process works. I have read on several of their websites that they will help me get a Visa. The problem is, I am not sure which school will be best until I actually sit in on a class or two. This would not be a problem as since I am an American I get a 30 day tourist Visa by simply showing up. If I understand correctly me not having a return ticket within that 30 day window may cause some issues at immigration. So, my questions are as follows:

1) Can I make it on a 30 day tourist visa until I find a school? Will my return ticket being dated for sometime in August cause problems?

2) Is it possible to get an ED Visa before I arrive and if so, how do I go about it?

3) are there any other options I am not aware of in regards to Visas?

Thank you all for your help, and I am counting down the days until I arrive in the Land of Smiles!!!!

Obtain a free tourist visa prior to travel or you risk not being allowed to board your aircraft. 30 day entry is not a visa and requires onward ticket within that time - airlines often check.

If you can obtain a two entry tourist visa it might cover your full time here as you do not need to be on an ED visa to study.

Obtain a free tourist visa prior to travel or you risk not being allowed to board your aircraft. 30 day entry is not a visa and requires onward ticket within that time - airlines often check.

If you can obtain a two entry tourist visa it might cover your full time here as you do not need to be on an ED visa to study.

Thank you for your response. So I can get a tourist visa that could cover my time? What is the best way to go about it? Are these visas very hard to obtain?I would like to have a rough outline of what is expected before I contact the consulate.

Thank you again!!