Long Queue'S For Krispykreme Doughnuts

theoldgit

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few years ago we were at Sydney Airport and there was a newly opened outlet there and the group of about 10 Thais i was with, plus every other Thai that was travelling back to BKK for Christmas had boxes and boxes of them. Every overhead compartment locker had the <deleted> things in them. I remember having a conversation about whether it would be feasible to open an outlet in BKK . The answer they gave me is that the Krispy Kremes would be too expensive for ordinary Thais to be successful.

My question is, or should I say my questions are, are KrispyKreme doughnuts that good that I would want to queue for 30 mins to buy some, or is it just a novelty factor? Are they better than other doughnuts? I couldn't get near enough to see the prices, are they the same price as other doughnuts?

Unless you enjoy the roof of your mouth being caked in sugar and fat , then i would not wait and i would definately keep on walking. Now if it was Lebanese Bakula - very similar - oil and very sweet, but i would definately consider.

Prices weren't too bad 249 thb for a dozen, by comparison Daddy Dough is 247 thb.

That's cheaper than I expected. Not good...

On par with KL prices: 25 THB for a glazed one, 28 THB for the other ones, 130 THB for 6 glazzed etc.

I had one yesterday there (no queue, actually nobody in the shop at 4pm), and I still prefer J.CO Donuts (where people always queue up) laugh.gif

A donut is lump of fried batter with sugary icing on it. Much like any American food it is unhealthy, bland and vastly over rated, Now foie gras, red wine and camembert, is another thing entirely.

It is not American food it is (Dutch) another one of the things that came from Euro and we get blamed for, but french fries are American.

19th century, doughnuts were sometimes referred to as one kind of olykoek (a Dutch word literally meaning "oil cake"), a "sweetened cake fried in fat."

Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s, and unto the Belgians the things that are Belgian.

French fries are not American, they are Belgian.  It has been recounted that potatoes were already fried in 1680 in the Spanish Netherlands, in the area of "the Meuse valley between Dinant and Liège, Belgium.  Many Belgians believe that the term "French" was introduced when American soldiers arrived in Belgium during World War I, and consequently tasted Belgian fries.  They supposedly called them "French", as it was the official language of the Belgian Army at that time.  "Les frites" (in French) or "Frieten" ( in Dutch) became the national snack and a substantial part of several national dishes....

A donut is lump of fried batter with sugary icing on it. Much like any American food it is unhealthy, bland and vastly over rated, Now foie gras, red wine and camembert, is another thing entirely.

It is not American food it is (Dutch) another one of the things that came from Euro and we get blamed for, but french fries are American.

19th century, doughnuts were sometimes referred to as one kind of olykoek (a Dutch word literally meaning "oil cake"), a "sweetened cake fried in fat."

That's not true. Olykoek isn't a dutch word. We do make "appelflappen" (only around New Year) but there are nothing like donuts.

Would appear the Dutch that came to the colony coined the word from somewhere.

The doughnut, as we know and love, supposedly came to Manhatten (then still New Amsterdam) under the Dutch name of olykoeks--"oily cakes."

Maybe they had a Norwegian cook named Oly with them.  :lol: .  At any rate - at the time there were no real Americas yet so by default its a Euro dish. :whistling:

Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s, and unto the Belgians the things that are Belgian.

French fries are not American, they are Belgian. It has been recounted that potatoes were already fried in 1680 in the Spanish Netherlands, in the area of "the Meuse valley between Dinant and Liège, Belgium. Many Belgians believe that the term "French" was introduced when American soldiers arrived in Belgium during World War I, and consequently tasted Belgian fries. They supposedly called them "French", as it was the official language of the Belgian Army at that time. "Les frites" (in French) or "Frieten" ( in Dutch) became the national snack and a substantial part of several national dishes....

"

Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's, and unto the Belgians the things that are Belgian.

French fries are not American, they are Belgian. It has been recounted that potatoes were already fried in 1680 in the Spanish Netherlands, in the area of "the Meuse valley between Dinant and Liège, Belgium. Many Belgians believe that the term "French" was introduced when American soldiers arrived in Belgium during World War I, and consequently tasted Belgian fries. They supposedly called them "French", as it was the official language of the Belgian Army at that time. "Les frites" (in French) or "Frieten" ( in Dutch) became the national snack and a substantial part of several national dishes..."

See what I mean and nether are doughnuts. :lol:

I LOVE KRISPYKREME doughnuts, but haven't had them in YEARS. Oh man, just when I move from BKK they appear. OK when will they be in Isaan? They are goooooooooooooooooooddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd.

Well catch an Air Asia flight (AK). They sell them on board now, 90 THB for 2 + a coffee wink.gif

"

Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's, and unto the Belgians the things that are Belgian.

French fries are not American, they are Belgian. It has been recounted that potatoes were already fried in 1680 in the Spanish Netherlands, in the area of "the Meuse valley between Dinant and Liège, Belgium. Many Belgians believe that the term "French" was introduced when American soldiers arrived in Belgium during World War I, and consequently tasted Belgian fries. They supposedly called them "French", as it was the official language of the Belgian Army at that time. "Les frites" (in French) or "Frieten" ( in Dutch) became the national snack and a substantial part of several national dishes..."

It is recounted, but not proven. I quote a Belgian website about the Meuse valley story:

Jo Gerard, a famous Belgian historian, claims to have proof that fries were invented in the region of the Meuse in 1680. Based on an unpublished document, he writes that the poor inhabitants of this region ate mostly fish. When the river frooze, they cut their potatous in a fish-shape and fried them.

Unpublished?... Hmm... laugh.gif

Anyway, it was popular since the mid 19th century in both countries, so who really care where they come from?

As for the US, I think they brought us the "MacDonald" slim cut of French Fries. When I was a kid a before they invaded Europe, the "frites" were cut much larger.

Prices weren't too bad 249 thb for a dozen, by comparison Daddy Dough is 247 thb.

That's cheaper than I expected. Not good...

On par with KL prices: 25 THB for a glazed one, 28 THB for the other ones, 130 THB for 6 glazzed etc.

I had one yesterday there (no queue, actually nobody in the shop at 4pm), and I still prefer J.CO Donuts (where people always queue up) laugh.gif

I hope no queue today? Im on my way to Paragon and Krispy Kreme. :whistling:

No queue, I suspect you were disappointed.

I was there again this afternoon, there was a zig zagged cordoned off queue in front of the outlet which continued outside of Siam Paragon and onto the main road, I suspect the queue was a good hour.

I think I will wait for the closing down sale some time in the new year.

No queue, I suspect you were disappointed.

I was there again this afternoon, there was a zig zagged cordoned off queue in front of the outlet which continued outside of Siam Paragon and onto the main road, I suspect the queue was a good hour.

I think I will wait for the closing down sale some time in the new year.

When I saw people outside Paragon still queuing up for Donuts , it must be something special with that place. :ermm:

I gave up , went to Dunkin' Donuts instead, they had no customers at all. Still tasty donuts.

I wonder what these would taste like if sliced in half and a burger inserted in the middle with some of that MOS burger style sauce.

This isn't a strange as it might sound at first, remember ketchup and lots of other condiments contain a lot of suger.

Edited by ukrules

Now foie gras, red wine and camembert, is another thing entirely.

They are not exactly breakfast snacks, but Napa Valley wines, Vemont cheeses and American steaks are pretty good too. :rolleyes:

Hasn't the Daddy Dough recipe been more or less nicked from Krispy Kreme?

In Holland they are known as 'Flemish fries'.. 'Vlaamse frites' I think is the spelling.

In Amsterdam I also had Oliebollen (sp?) which were like proper donuts with fruit in them..

Edited by tw25rw

I'm sure that they taste pretty good, but I do not remember them as any better than any other donut shop. I don't understand all the hype.

The hype is something they generate themselves to a degree.. Sold without the branding, they would just be oversweet cakes that few would buy.

I was in Paragon tonight, and took a closer peak at their menu...

Single glazed are 27 baht... The other varieties are 33 baht a piece...

A dozen glazed are 299 baht... A dozen other varieties are 315 baht.

To my amazement, they're also selling them in sets of two dozen... and it's 599 baht for a dozen glazed and a dozen assorted together.

post-53787-002369700 1286206175_thumb.jp

There was a similar craze when they opened in the SF bay area. Everyone had to have them. I remember actually they were the most decadent donuts I had ever eaten and like most people, I did love them. So I pigged out on them maybe five times, and then thought to myself, I don't really usually eat donuts, why am I eating these, and why do I gain 5 pounds and feel like crap every time I eat these donuts? So I stopped. Never again.

BTW, the critical key to their fabulousness is to get them soon after they are out of the oven! They are much much better that way. The stores in the US announce when they have a fresh batch, and of course that stimulates sales, must be run by Satan, so good, so deadly.

Edited by Jingthing

My mouth is watering. Their cream filled doughnuts are PACKED with sweet cream; not like some other shops. They really put as much cream fill as possible w/out it exploding. Or at least the was my experience in Phila. USA. Probably all powdered sugar, but I really don't care. When will they be in Chaiyaphum or Khon Kaeng?