Chattuchak

rockchick

I just need to info on chattuchak if anyone knows it well. I live in Phuket and want to find second-hand items or in the antique style. I dont want real antiques. Things like that are expensive in Phuket and I'm wandering if it would work out cheaper to go to BKK and buy them. Does anyone have any knowledge of Chattuchak and if they sell stuff like this at reasonable prices? It's furniture I am in need of to decorate a shop. Many Thanks

Hello. I must admit I haven't been there yet (moved to Bangkok in May) but I keep meaning to go. One thing that I'm told is absolutely essential - and which certainly looks good - is "Nancy Chandler's Map Of Bangkok"

It's very informative and has a whole map dedicated to Chatuchak, which shows you how it's divided up into different product areas. Chatuchak is absolutely massive - funnily enough, although I haven't been, I drive right through it two or three times a week - and the map could save you a lot of fruitless wandering. Without it, you could trail around for hours and not even be in the section you really need!

I bought mine in a Kinokunia bookshop - there's one in most of the big malls. can't remember exactly how much but the map wasn't at all expensive.

Good luck. Would be good to hear how you get on, as I'm always looking for interesting things to have around the house.

My wife and I have shopped around for things in Chattuchak and elsewhere for years. Chattuchak has always been cheaper. And they have many many stalls selling reproduction furniture. I bet some of the sellers on Phuket buy there stuff at Chattuchak. I guess the catch for you is the shipping cost, that might eat up the savings. The more you buy from one seller the bigger discount and you might even be able to arange delivery.

Yes you can get antique looking stuff in JJ, and if you have pictures of what you want I'm sure you'll find someone that could make it for you.

There's an information office at one of the gates where you can get a free map of the market, they don't always have them in english though.

Most sellers at JJ are Thai's of Chinese heritage. The Chinese believe that you have to make the first sale of the day to ensure a profitable day. My wife used to use this info to get some real kickass bargains. If you get to JJ early in the morning on the weekend as the shops are opening and happen to be the first customer, they will try their hardest to make the sale even if it is at a loss.

Just thought I'd share the tip.

Most sellers at JJ are Thai's of Chinese heritage. The Chinese believe that you have to make the first sale of the day to ensure a profitable day. My wife used to use this info to get some real kickass bargains. If you get to JJ early in the morning on the weekend as the shops are opening and happen to be the first customer, they will try their hardest to make the sale even if it is at a loss.

Just thought I'd share the tip.

I've heard that story about Rolex dealers in HK and Singapore too! :D:lol:

RAZZ