British Ambassador Quinton Quayle To Leave Thailand

webfact

British ambassador to leave

By The Nation

gallery_327_1086_14210.jpg

British Ambassador Quinton Quayle will leave Thailand at the beginning of November after serving more than three years as chief of mission.

In a statement yesterday, the British Embassy said an announcement on his successor would be made in due course.

The departing envoy is known for his cordial relations with Thai officials, academics, the media and other social groups. His love for football also has made him a popular face in local newspapers.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-09-30

If by 'the people he is supposed to represent' you mean individual British citizens, then that's not really what ambassadors or embassies do. They represent the government of their respective countries.

I know there is a perception that they should be 'there for us' but historically speaking they were established to promote trade, represent the foreign policy of their government and facilitate diplomatic relations between governments.

They don't really exist as any kind of support network for individuals.

It would be nice if they did, but they are representatives of one head of state to another.

In our case, 'civil servants' is possibly about as wrong a title for such officials as it is possible to have! They work for HM government, not us!

If by 'the people he is supposed to represent' you mean individual British citizens, then that's not really what ambassadors or embassies do. They represent the government of their respective countries.

I know there is a perception that they should be 'there for us' but historically speaking they were established to promote trade, represent the foreign policy of their government and facilitate diplomatic relations between governments.

It would be nice if they did, but they are representatives of one head of state to another.

In our case, 'civil servants' is possibly about as wrong a title for such officials as it is possible to have! They work for HM government, not us!

No he is not a civil servant, he is a public servant working for me as I pay his salary in my substantial tax contribution to the UK coffers, just a step above a Traffic Warden or a Police man Bin man all paid for with my tax money, he is no one special just a special title to his name nothing else special about him just another employee.

No he is not a civil servant, he is a public servant working for me as I pay his salary in my substantial tax contribution to the UK coffers, just a step above a Traffic Warden or a Police man Bin man all paid for with my tax money, he is no one special just a special title to his name nothing else special about him just another employee.

:violin::violin::violin::crying:

Pass the kleenex someone?

The fact is the cost of maintaining embassies and consulates including their staff is a very small proportion of the total UK tax burden. But we always get these narrow minded economists who think that, somehow, HMRC reserved THEIR tax contributions solely for use on one particular facility.

And then, having made their "substantial contribution", seem to think that the purpose of the Embassy is to personally help them get dressed in the morning. Never mind the other 64,999,999 or so British citizens who also might need assistance.

I am sure that Jim does not mean they should be at his beck and call, but I am sure you know that already and are spoiling for an argument, they should however be there for an individual when they are needed, that is part of their brief and part of what taxes in teh UK are paid for, it has no relevance if it just a small amount of tax to pay for them, the fact is that this is how they are funded, this is not based on what percentage of your tax goes to which government body. Are you saying that they should just tell us to get lost when we need their help as only a small percentage of our tax goes towards funding them? Or should they do what they are paid for and assist British Nationals abroad when required.

• Like 1

unsure.gifand another one bites the dust. The life of the privileged few. Bon Voyage.

What makes you say another one bites the dust?

I thought these people are routinely rotated every couple of years or is there some sort of backward message here?

I agree. It is the job of Consuls to provide advice to British citizens abroad.

I met Quinton Quayle on Monday night at a cocktail reception, he seemed to be a very nice man, polite and very chatie, and everything was free as it was the official ceebration of the queens birthday, everyone got a little bit drunk, a great evening.

• Like 1

I've got a FAR better idea for the new recruitment process. Will all British citizens in Thailand report to the British Club tomorrow morning about 11am where we will play a large game of British Bulldogs to sort this out. Then get hopelessly drunk and trash the city (well, when in Rome and all that).

There, sorted!!

• Like 1

I met Quinton Quayle on Monday night at a cocktail reception, he seemed to be a very nice man, polite and very chatie, and everything was free as it was the official ceebration of the queens birthday, everyone got a little bit drunk, a great evening.

Our taxes at work.

A pity they can't use some of the money to issue passports rather than palming the job off to Hong Kong.

Not sure about the UK but US Ambassadors are appointed by the President (the UK Ambassador is appointed by the Queen) and serve at his pleasure. So either they are recalled or they leave on their own, but, at least for the US, unlike lower level embassy employees who do get rotated out every 2-4 years depending on the job, he doesn't get shifted to somehwere else, there is no set term. While many are career State Dept employees not all are, certainly.

I would assume the UK has a similar system.

An Ambassador's role is not to help citizens, the ambassador represents his or her nation in that country in an official capacity. Citizens services role is to help citizens, not the entire embassy.

A Consul is not the same thing as an Ambassador.

Perhaps if he responded to every stuck-in-hospital-no-insurance case, or bargirl-ripped-me-off-need-airfare story, or I-behaved-badly-now-in-prison or every other Brit behaving badly in Thailand stories we read about, he may have ended up with more glowing reports from Thaivisa members.

But maybe not, because if he were to respond to every case of self-inflicted harm, your pensions might reduce further to fund such frivolities, and then there'll be even more moaning.:rolleyes:

• Like 2

Wonder if the new Honorary Consul in Pattaya is in line for a swift promotion? :)

He'd come with his own volunteer police force & make all those retired gurkhas redundent, thus saving a few bob in the current government spending cut's!

Speaking as I find to be perfectly honest in the dealings I've had with the British Embassy in Bangkok I've always received good service. When I did my affirmation to marry there I can honestly say the bloke was the most polite and helpful person I've ever come across anywhere at anytime. I even sent them a letter commending him and I've never done that before.

How he kept smiling and courteous with the troglodytes who couldn't come to grips with the intricacies of the " take a number " queuing system or one particular prole who blew up at him because his passport expired the next day and " I need to fly to fuc_king Australia tomorrow! Why can't I have a new fuc_king passport today?" will remain a mystery to me forever.

Of course, the UK ambassador does not personally deal with any aspects of British citizen living here, but he is nevertheless responsible to ensure that the the "Brits" get a proper service from the embassy.

It is somewhat similar to the duty of a general hotel manager, who does not cook any meals, nor does he do any housekeeping, or reception work, but he is totally responsible for ensuring that the hotel provides a proper and efficient service for its clients.

So the general reaction to this "news" will range from "Who cares?" all the way up to "Will we notice any difference?"

So the Ambassador has done a great job all round.