Krispy Kreme Doughnuts Opens First Thai Store In Bangkok

Rimmer

OUCH!!! There have been quite a few KK threads here lately, so I didn't catch the original item in this thread relating to the franchisee's close ties with Thaksin....

Hmm... maybe that's the deal with their jelly dognuts... You bite into one, and then it oozes red stuff all over you... :bah:

It's interesting to see the article mention the connection with Thaksin Shinawatra. It's yet another reason to avoid Krispy Kreme in Thailand. :)

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Krispy Kreme Doughnut Inc has announced the opening of its first franchised-owned store in Thailand,

Majority owned/controlled by Ms. Ausanee Mahagitsiri, who with her family own and operate one of Thailand’s largest conglomerates, PM Group.

Can you tell the difference between Not The Nation and The Nation?

Many months ago Not The Nation had an article entitled "Rich Hi-So Girl Overcomes Advantages To Open Unprofitable Business". The opening:

The elite of Thailand continue to lead the nation forward with its newest generation of hard-working sons and daughters. Just ask Yinlak “Pip” Chinthammit, who despite being born into one of Thailand’s ultra-rich families has taken the road to independence and self-determination by spending part of her vast inheritance on a small business venture at the tender age of 24.

"I’ve always been very independent," says Pip, who was educated in private school in the UK before earning a business degree at the University of San Diego. "During my sophomore year at college I even lived without a roommate for six months!" she recalls, referring to a brief period in 2004 when she was alone with her maid in a 450-square meter seaside bungalow in La Jolla, California. "I even drove my Miata by myself."

A few days ago, The Nation in an article entitled "Kreme dream". The opening:

Ausanee Mahagitsiri has finally joined the rest of her family in the business world, emerging from a decade in civil service holding the first box of Krispy Kreme doughnuts that Thailand has ever seen. Her shop selling the ultra-sweet, finely textured treats opens at Siam Paragon today - 73 years after the brand was introduced in the United States.

Launching this country's first franchise for the popular American chain certainly smells sweet for the eldest daughter of Thai industrialist Prayudh Mahagitsiri, who seems to have a finger in every business pie.

Bangkok Pundit: Her dad is No. 16* on the Forbes list for Thailand. A case of reality mirroring fiction...

*Her dad was indirectly named by Suthep as one of the red shirt funders.

http://us.asiancorrespondent.com/bangkok-pundit-blog/can-you-tell-the-difference-between-not-the-nation-and-the-nation

Asian Correspondent - October 2, 2010

OUCH!!! There have been quite a few KK threads here lately, so I didn't catch the original item in this thread relating to the franchisee's close ties with Thaksin....

Hmm... maybe that's the deal with their jelly dognuts... You bite into one, and then it oozes red stuff all over you... :bah:

It's interesting to see the article mention the connection with Thaksin Shinawatra. It's yet another reason to avoid Krispy Kreme in Thailand. :)

see also just previous post on the owner's billionaire father funding of red shirts.

btw, this is the "Kreme dream" heiress Ausanee Mahagitsiri

ausana.jpg

during the Billion Baht Diamond Collection Extravaganza at the Oriental Hotel

http://thaicatwalk.com/wordpress/2007/11/beauty-gems/

Here's the link to the 2007 Forbes entry on the father and his business and ties to Thaksin... The blurb mentions his son is/was a TV actor, but no mention then of the daughter....who looks to be a real cutie, BTW...

Ahh....and here's an Oct. 2009 Krispy Kreme press release announcing the franchise deal for Thailand, with plans for up to 20 outlets.

"We are excited to introduce to the Thai people a premium doughnut and the one-of-a-kind experience that is associated with the Krispy Kreme brand," said Ausanee Mahagitsiri, chief executive officer of KDN Company Limited. "Krispy Kreme is very popular in Japan, South Korea and the Philippines, and we expect Krispy Kreme to be well received in Thailand as the Thai people are very fond of sweets, and believe in the concept of sharing and generosity. We are pleased to enter into a franchise relationship with Krispy Kreme."
KDN Company Limited is majority owned and controlled by Ms. Ausanee Mahagitsiri. Ms. Mahagitsiri and her family own and operate the PM Group, one of Thailand's largest conglomerates. PM Group interests include Biaxially Oriented Polypropylene (BOPP) film, cold rolled stainless steel, golf courses/resorts, real estate development and instant coffee in partnership with Nestle under the "Nescafe" trademark in Thailand.
Edited by jfchandler

And the latest press release re Thailand from KK....

September 28, 2010

Krispy Kreme Opens Its First Store in Thailand

20 Franchise Stores Planned For The Country Over Five Years

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C., Sept 28, 2010 /PRNewswire via COMTEX News Network/ -- Krispy Kreme Doughnut Corporation today announced that its franchisee, KDN Company Limited, has opened the first Krispy Kreme doughnut shop in the Kingdom of Thailand.

The new store is located in the Siam Paragon shopping center, a premium destination conveniently located in the heart of the Bangkok business district. The Siam Paragon boasts a wide array of luxury brands, concept stores and unparalleled dining establishments.

"As we continue the expansion of our brand around the world, we are thrilled that now consumers in Thailand will be able to share in the unique Krispy Kreme doughnut experience," said Krispy Kreme President - International, Jeff Welch. "KDN Company Limited is led by an accomplished group of business professionals, and we believe they will be a strong franchise partner for Krispy Kreme. We have great confidence in their ability to represent our brand and offer one-of-a-kind Krispy Kreme products to the Thai consumer."

"We are very happy to be part of the growing international Krispy Kreme family," said Ausanee Mahagitsiri, chief executive officer of KDN Company Limited. "The team here is excited to bring smiles to the Thai people by sharing exceptional Krispy Kreme products, especially the hot Original Glazed doughnut, with consumers in Bangkok."

Currently, the Krispy Kreme Original Glazed® doughnut can be found in 21 countries, including the United States, Australia, Bahrain, Canada, China, Dominican Republic, Indonesia, Japan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Malaysia, Mexico, the Philippines, Puerto Rico, Qatar, the Republic of Korea, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the Kingdom of Thailand, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates and the United Kingdom.

About KDN Company Limited

KDN Company Limited is majority owned and controlled by Ms. Ausanee Mahagitsiri. Ms. Mahagitsiri and her family own and operate the PM Group, one of Thailand's largest conglomerates. PM Group interests include Biaxially Oriented Polypropylene (BOPP) film, cold rolled stainless steel, golf courses/resorts, real estate development and instant coffee in partnership with Nestle under the "Nescafe" trademark in Thailand.

Here's the link to the 2007 Forbes entry on the father and his business and ties to Thaksin... The blurb mentions his son is/was a TV actor, but no mention then of the daughter....who looks to be a real cutie, BTW...

Well, she has put on a kilo or two or three since that Diamond Extravaganza in 2007.

Here she is from a few days ago in The Nation's article, "Kreme dream"

3013883501.jpg

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/2010/09/28/life/Kreme-dream-30138835.html

Guess that's what comes from eating too many KK dognuts...as some of the earlier photos in the thread suggest.... So, I hereby retract my earlier "cutie" comment... :ph34r:

Here's the 2010 Forbes entry on the Mahagitsiri family.... ranking as #16 richest in LOS.... The family ranked as #6 in 2007 Forbes, so they're slipping a bit...

It also mentions there's another daughter, Ausana....

Edited by jfchandler

Well, she has put on a kilo or two or three since that Diamond Extravaganza in 2007.

3013883501.jpg

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/2010/09/28/life/Kreme-dream-30138835.html

Well, at the end of the day, as they say, this is just another story about another Thai Chinese babe whose wealthy family has sent her overseas for an education and now she needs an outlet for all that 'business knowledge' she has gained.

Sadly, if this was a story about a country girl who had come up with a delicious healthy food, I doubt there would be any interest. Let's see how fast her business expands along with the waistlines of her customers. :coffee1:

And then there's the son Chalermchai....

post-53787-021964900 1286068606_thumb.jp

STREETWISE: Back in the family fold, NATION.

The America's Intelligence Wire

| November 04, 2002

Chalermchai Mahagitsiri, the only son of business tycoon and Thai Rak Thai party deputy leader, Prayudh Mahagitsiri, has had a change of heart about working with his dad. Some time ago, his mother revealed that Chalermchai - who studied for his master's in finance at Boston University - like his three sisters, did not want to work in the family business. "They don't want to work with mum and dad, because they're afraid that nobody would dare speak out when they made a mistake," …

Chalermchai to run for MP

Chalermchai Mahagitsiri, a deputy government spokesman in the Thaksin Shinawatra administration, will contest a Bangkok seat in the December 23 general election.

Published on October 20, 2007

Posted 2005-09-07 01:09

Higher excises on liquors approved

PHANG-NGA: -- The Cabinet resolved today (Tuesday) to slap a higher excise tax on high-alcohol content distilled liquors, while maintaining the excise taxes on other categories of alcoholic drinks including beer and wines.

The higher taxes will take effect immediately.

"The government's focus (in restructuring the alcohol excise tax structure) is to curb alcohol consumption. This change is enough to achieve the goal in slashing consumption and raising tax income," said PM's Office deputy spokesman Chalermchai Mahagitsiri said.

Four types of distilled liquors are subject to the change - special blend, brandy, whisky and others. So far, they had been subjected to a range of 3550 per cent of market price or Bt240 per litre of alcohol content. The new rate is 4050 per cent or Bt400 per litre, whichever is higher.

--The Nation 2005-09-07

And here's an interesting, but bit long, document on file with the Stock Exchange of Thailand that goes into detail on the various family holdings in their Thai Film Industries Public Co. Ltd. venture.

Edited by jfchandler

I think its safe to say fried dough is as popular here as it is in other countries. There are ~ 200 Mr. Donut and ~ 35 Dunkin' Donuts franchises here and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting three people with a huge vat of oil frying up dough (and other things) on the footpath. Not to mention every single market has two or more vendors selling doughnuts. It sounds as though KK is looking to position itself a bit above DD?

I never understood the Krispy Kreme moniker (BTW should it Khrispy Khreme here?); they're neither crispy nor creamy.

Nominee for ThaiVisa quote of the day??? :lol:

...you can't swing a dead cat without hitting three people with a huge vat of oil frying up dough (and other things) on the footpath.

Just be careful that what they're frying up ISN'T a dead cat... :P

Edited by jfchandler

And a bit from The Nation on Chalermchai and his past acting endeavors, courtesy of the Thaksin family...

Aside from Darunee, there is Chalermchai Mahagitsiri, a son of business tycoon Prayuth Mahagitsiri, who is the major supplier of coffee beans to Nescafe.

Chalermchai?s big debut was a role in ?Muang Maya, The Series?, but probably due to his poor acting, he?s now a host of ?I Style?, which is produced by How Come Entertainment, the company owned by Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra?s son Panthongtae.

Chalermchai smiles a lot now, but to me, everything he does shows his self-consciousness.

Here's the bios on Ausanee and Chalermchai from the 2004 annual report of the family's company Thainox Stainless Pub Co Ltd....when they were members of its Board of Directors.

post-53787-003875900 1286071936_thumb.jp

post-53787-088920800 1286071929_thumb.jp

post-53787-049819400 1286071938_thumb.jp

post-53787-026204800 1286071933_thumb.jp

So the way this works here is, Dad is/was a big shot businessman and politician, and so his kids all end up working for the Thai government, including the son as deputy government spokesman... Cozy.... very cozy... The family that plays together stays together???

3013883501.jpg

http://www.nationmul...m-30138835.html

I'm guessing it would have been wiser for the PR campaign not to put her face up beside a box of donuts. A quick before/after pic could really sink her business.

:D

Here's the bios on Ausanee and Chalermchai from the 2004 annual report of the family's company Thainox Stainless Pub Co Ltd....when they were members of its Board of Directors.

post-53787-003875900 1286071936_thumb.jp

post-53787-088920800 1286071929_thumb.jp

post-53787-049819400 1286071938_thumb.jp

post-53787-026204800 1286071933_thumb.jp

So the way this works here is, Dad is/was a big shot businessman and politician, and so his kids all end up working for the Thai government, including the son as deputy government spokesman... Cozy.... very cozy... The family that plays together stays together???

She was an 'economics analyst' in the Thaksinomics government

Finance Ministry at age 22...

No friendly back handers there oh no.

Hey Boss, find a job for my daughter, and I'll raise the anti.

Edited by animatic

Your math is a bit off....

Her resume in 2004 put her at age 32.. And it said she had had the Finance Ministry job from 2000 until at least 2004 (the time of the report), meaning from age 28 to 32.... Not 22....

Here's what the KK web site says about the ingredients for their dognuts....

Ingredient Information

The only animal by-products used in our doughnuts are eggs (whites and yolks) and dairy products (including milk, butter, yogurt, whey, nonfat milk and nonfat whey). We use vegetable shortening (palm, soybean, and/or cottonseed and canola oil) for zero gram of trans fat per one serving of doughnut. All monoglycerides and diglycerides are vegetable based. Enzymes are also present. The lecithin we use is soy-based. We also use wheat in our doughnuts, including bran, germ, gluten, starch and flour. To get further information about our products, call us at 1-800-4KRISPY.

Are Krispy Kreme Doughnuts Kosher?

All of our doughnuts are ingredient Kosher. Our mix plant in Winston-Salem, NC where the mix is made is certified Kosher. In addition, some of our stores, but not all, have been certified Kosher. To get a complete listing of our stores that have been Kosher certified, please call us at 1-800-4KRISPY.

Allergen Statement

Many of our products contain or may come into contact with common allergens, including wheat, peanuts, soy, tree nuts, milk and eggs.

Your math is a bit off....

Her resume in 2004 put her at age 32.. And it said she had had the Finance Ministry job from 2000 until at least 2004 (the time of the report), meaning from age 28 to 32.... Not 22....

Ah yes,

having glasses issues this week.

Well I have been to Paragorn, and just by watching from the BTS station, I knew it would be a bad idea to try to go there.

Here are some pictures I took from the station:

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

Note the lenght of the queue, I'd say about 150 meters...

I'm willing to wait in a queue that long if I'm sure getting my glaze KK donut. Only warm glaze KK just came out from essembly line taste heavenly for me.:licklips: I usually indulg at least half a dozen in one sitting.

But I found that after leavng it for a while in room temperature, it will test like an ordinary donut you found them every where.

So for me it's a freshly warm glazed KK worths to die for.:D