Why Come To Phuket?

Tonto21

Hi Phuket!

I intend to visit Phuket mid Oct, I’ve lived in Thailand, Chiangmai for 5 years, done a fair bit of traveling in the country, but I’ve never been to Phuket. My plan is to stay 3 or 4 days, I was thinking staying Paton Beach area, Anything from 500—2000+/- Baht p/n, close to night life, (Don’t want to drink and ride)day time, I want to have a nose around the Island, Try and find the nice beaches, I also like photography , so any scenic musts?

So! What I’m asking is; does anyone know some good places to stay, ideally with a pool and gym, near the night life? Any do’s and don’ts, hot spots and not hots in Phuket…….Any and all advice from people in the know will be appreciated.

Cheers!

Tonto

Summer breeze doesnt have a pool, but is really a well run place with great staff. You can use the Baan Benjamns pool a 100m or so up the road.

Also if you could consider somewhere that isnt walking distance to Bangla Kellys Hotel is good rates on nice rooms and has a good pool. Excellent value there for a bit above the usual guesthouse standard.

You could try KN Guest House (actually individual apartments)in Soi Jintana. Excellent large rooms with bigger than average bathroom AND bath, swimming pool and small restaurant and walking distance to Bangla and beach.

Stayed there many times and I can highly recommend it......it does have a website.

Summer breeze doesnt have a pool, but is really a well run place with great staff. You can use the Baan Benjamns pool a 100m or so up the road.

I had heard that the Benjamas pool was filled in to build more apartments ??

I always book friends in to the Expat, quiet, well run, small pool, close to Bangla night life and beach, and not so expensive.

The best scenic wiev is found from the Wiev-point south of Kata Beach, where you have the wiev of both Kata and Karon Beaches, with Patong in the horizon. At the very south, you will find another scenic wiev at Promthep Cape. Naiharn Beach (next to Promthep Cape) is well worth a visit. Laem Singh Beach is definitely one of the most stunning beaches I ever saw in Thailand. It is located between Kamala Beach and Surin Beach and only accessible by walking down a small track (look for the parked motorbikes and cars).

Phuket would be one of my favorite destinations in Thailand, if not for the taxi- and tuk-tuk mafia, who will be ripping you off every time you need a transportation.

Been living in Phuket since '85 and still love it, first 15 years in Patong, then over here in Kamala which is still (almost) like a normal thai town.

NOTE I hvae been to Laem Singh ONCE, and that was after the tsunami as that was the ONLY time they let ya park for free.

Its a beach full of tourists and see NOTHING special about it, Overpriced food (as is Surin beach-double that of the beach rests in kamala) and rows and rows of beach chairs in the high season. Europeans seem to like to hang out all together and pretend there somewhere exotic while ordering their fish and chips and warm beer.

If u want to be where the action is one of the best loctaions is CNN hotel 850-1,40o, ( no pool) expat Hotel is a run down expat hangout and the home of the HHH but it does have a certain 90's charm :lol:

The best scenic wiev is found from the Wiev-point south of Kata Beach, where you have the wiev of both Kata and Karon Beaches, with Patong in the horizon. At the very south, you will find another scenic wiev at Promthep Cape. Naiharn Beach (next to Promthep Cape) is well worth a visit. Laem Singh Beach is definitely one of the most stunning beaches I ever saw in Thailand. Not for at least the past eight years. Now filthy and overcrowded, particularly with our Latin cousins who've completely overtaken and spoiled it. Same same Yanui. It is located between Kamala Beach and Surin Beach and only accessible by walking down a small track (look for the parked motorbikes and cars). For a fee.

Phuket would be one of my favorite destinations in Thailand, if not for the taxi- and tuk-tuk mafia, who will be ripping you off every time you need a transportation.

And the uberdevelopement/bar tarts.

re the weather in October . . . .these pics from last October. I know it rained on the 7th - we went to Wat Chalong till it stopped as needed a break in the weather to help a friend shift to new accommodation. Otherwise not a bad month - I wasn't working and spent plenty of time at beaches and being a tourist with friends, competed at the surf-lifesaving competition held at Patong on the 3rd and was an ok day for that. As a side note - it was a day to remember as I met my current partner there - we have matching lifeguard competitor t-shirts(!)

Things to do - we spent a year Karon then Chalong and are fans of the southern part of the island, favourite with guests/visitors was the loop from Patong (if that's where you stay) down to Karon, Kata, Kata Viewpoint, continue on to Nai Harn (pic) and Yanui (pic), on to Rawai, Chalong, past the big roundabout (go straight ahead) 1km turn left and up to Big Buddha - spectacular views across the island, and off course BB himself. Back down to the main rd (Chaofa Rd East) and 4km to Wat Chalong if you are in a temple mood . . . and can drive over the hill through Kathu back to Patong (other option is back to the roundabout turn right it takes you back to Karon).

Coral Island is 15min by speedboat from Chalong Pier, beautiful spot and as we found in October, very quiet. I've done numerous Phi Phi trips and don't overly recommend it, but a lot of people like it.

Enjoy your trip!

G

Oct 3rd, past 3 days rain...

Personally i hate the southern part of the island from Patong down. There is nothing thai about it anymore. Karon/Kata. Nai harn did not exist except as deserted beaches before the tourists arrived. Rawaii is where the sea gypsys lived but even they are being driven out now.

The drive desrcribed is nice but you will always be in the company of other farangs doing the same route

One of the nicest for views upspoiled is from Kamala along the cost thru Surin and over the hills to Bang Tao and Laguna, all the way up to Nai Yung and the airport.

Just grab a map and head out

Public transport between the beaches and town is very good with plenty of bus's. BUT between beaches and beaches ( as Kamala/Surin to Patong, or Patong to Karon/kata) your stuck using the overpriced tuk tuks

Cheers guys! Thanks for posting. I will have a look at the mentioned accommodation.

One further question; transport from airport, Taxi to patong, rough cost? Any other way, can I hire a bike near airport, as I have to come back to fly out, any suggestions?

Phuket provides for all tastes and styles of living for both its tourists and long term residents.

However, driving on the roads is dangerous, and its public transport facilities are poor.

This is a pretty darned good summary of Phuket.

I would only add that the beaches and ocean around Phuket are quite delightful, and always will be.

Patong beach for one is much nicer that it was when I first arrived 6 years ago. The post tsunami rebuilding and the new water treatment plant has really made a difference. The Patong beachfront and water quality is excellent.

And you won't get bored at night!:partytime2:

I disagree with Thules that driving on Phuket roads is dangerous. Bangkok is much worse and Chiang Mai is more congested with traffic and potential obstacles.

I have driven a motorocycle throughout Phuket during the past two years at all times of day and night. I have never had an accident or even a close call.

I find that, on the whole, Phuket drivers are courteous and do not drive recklessly -- unless there is something beyond their control (brake failure, blown-out tire).

If you are a skilled driver and use common sense, you should not have any dangerous moments in Phuket -- at least no more than in Chiang Mai or Bangkok.

I disagree with Thules that driving on Phuket roads is dangerous.....

....I find that, on the whole, Phuket drivers are courteous and do not drive recklessly....

Wow. I mean wow. Because bangkok or Cm are worse does not make Phukets roads safe. You can disagree, but you would be wrong. Phuket drivers courteous? Oh how I wish. That's got to be a joke, or you have spent very little time on the roads here, or you are from somewhere like Azerbijan. There are a whole lot of discourteous drivers in Phuket.

Maybe your definition of a close call is the same as the average driver in Thailand, (which of course includes some assimilated farangs too, I often notice) as in there is no such thing as a close call, close calls are just part of normal driving here.

The minibus and green plated taxi drivers are the pure homicidal maniacs. The construction vehicles (flatbeds, concrete mixers) are bullies and have no respect for motorbikes or other road users whatsoever.

Overtaking on blind curves or hills is the norm, as is extreme tailgating. I get overtaken while overtaking. I get overtaken while turning right into my driveway. Speed limits are not enforced in Phuket. Red lights are not enforced. Everyone follows the car in front of them though the intersection long after they get a red. Everyone jumps lights, and blowing through them entirely is commonplace. Traffic signals are merely a suggestion in Thailand, as are all traffic laws. In the west we don't overtake on a blind hill or curve because someone might be coming. In Thailand they overtake on a blind curve or hill because someone might not be coming.

There is no education of drivers in Thailand, and the test is minimal. There is very little enforcement. When the laws are enforced, the wholly corrupt police will usually let you off with a small bribe of 200 or so baht.

I have had two accidents here in 5 years total and neither was my fault, and countless close calls, and I am a very conscientious driver. Just 3 days ago I had a car flip a U turn right in front of me from the far left lane. I panic swerved to the right and missed his front bumper by several centimeters. The GF and I would have been goners for sure. I've wrote here about the cement truck last month that U turned in front of me as if I was invisible causing me to bin the Ninja into the grass IFO Honda Chao Fa at about 60kph. Driver did not stop of course. Right ankle is still not healed.

I went in to get a haircut from my regular barber last week only to be told, "Oh sorry, he dai leaow." Killed in a motorbike accident last week.

In recent memory, two teenage school girls in two separate incidents have been eviscerated by 18-wheelers big rigs in front of Tesco. One just last week. The other a few years back my friend witnessed and was so F-ed up by it he had to leave Thailand. I have had two big bike riding friends have major accidents in the last 60 days, one got broadsided by a half blind, one footed, unlicensed, uninsured elderly Thai man cutting across traffic without looking. The other had to bin it to avoid a black Fortuner overtaking a tuk tuk that was overtaking motorbikes. Of course the drivers did not stop.

These stories go on and on, so please don't say the roads in Thailand, or Phuket, are safe. The roads are very dangerous everywhere in Thailand when compared to western countries. Urban/suburban areas like Phuket, CM, and Bangkok even more so. However, go to a place like China, India, or any post Soviet eastern bloc country and you will be wishing you had the relative order and safety of the Thai roads.

Make no mistake; the roads in Phuket are extremely dangerous, but it's no reason to stay away. You just need to take appropriate measures. Like you said, drive defensibly. Wear your seatbelt and helmet. Wear protective riding gear. That is not a popular one, but it saved my ass and the above friend that had the elderly guy t-bone him.

I love Thailand and Phuket. I wouldn't live anywhere else in Thailand, but you really need to drive like you are invisible. If you want to stay alive on a motorbike in Thailand, assume that everyone is making a conscious effort to kill you, because it will often seem like they are. It's just something we have to accept. I have said it before, with the way people in Thailand drive, I am baffled how every intersection in Thailand isn't a pile of twisted steel and flesh.

Oops...how ironic..as I write this I think I heard an accident outside. Be right back!

Yep! Wow look at those skid marks! More courteous and cautious Phuket drivers no doubt!!! Just a fender bender. No one hurt gladly. That reminds me, just a few meters further back is the all too common painted outline of a motorbike that appeared the other day.

IMG_2006.jpg

IMG_2003.jpg

Ok. Off my soapbox.

My apologies to Tonto for hijacking his thread. Hope you enjoy your stay. Be safe.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

The problem with that road pictured is that nobody has any concept of what the painted lines mean.

Even the little girl doing 30ks on her scooter in the left lane thinks it's normal to cut across the outside lane, and even cross the centre dividing line, to negotiate a bend.

Any traffic passing in either direction has to be aware of her potential movements, and ready to brake or take evasive action.