Perth Non-O Trip Report

Not much to tell, really... arrived at the Thai consulate in Perth at 9am this morning with my passport, travel itinerary and a letter from my girlfriend in Thailand saying I was going to be staying with her for a year - and a scan/copy of her ID card. Paid my $225, collect the passport with visa after midday - very smooth tranasaction.Consulate is closing on the 14th of October, so be quick if you're planning a trip. The lady said there may be a new consulate opening in Perth next year when they could find a new person to replace the guy retiring (but that was just a "may").Gareth

• 1 month later...

Yeah! Nice of them to let the punters know. The website closed down with not even a hint of goodbye. Is it really too much to say 'sorry we're closing'? I have never been there but have read some very good reports about their visa service,

Yeah! Nice of them to let the punters know. The website closed down with not even a hint of goodbye. Is it really too much to say 'sorry we're closing'? I have never been there but have read some very good reports about their visa service, !

Read the first report. The consul Retired..The consulate has an exceptional history. Helped so many people.

It was common knowledge here that the Consulate would be closing.

Yes, but that is no excuse for not informing the general public of cessation of business/service. Are the only people who used Perth Thai Visa readers?

Yeah! Nice of them to let the punters know. The website closed down with not even a hint of goodbye. Is it really too much to say 'sorry we're closing'? I have never been there but have read some very good reports about their visa service, !

Read the first report. The consul Retired..The consulate has an exceptional history. Helped so many people.

He may have had but he didn't seem to have the decency to inform the public about the closure.

He may have had but he didn't seem to have the decency to inform the public about the closure.

Get a grip. It's only an Honorary Thai Consul that's closed. The way you are gurning it's as if a major local enterprise and employer decided to close. Maybe you missed the notices in the local (WA) press as well?

I mean, even their very best and most loyal customers only went there what... maybe once a year?

And you? You've never even been one of those customers so why all the wailing and gnashing of teeth?

Actually they were informing people, otherwise it wouldn't have been discussed on this forum for a couple of months before hand. They certainly were making it known when I went there in late August to obtain a 1 year Non-immi "B" Visa. As to issuing notice on their website, perhaps they were concerned about an increase of customers near the end?

As to people who do not read this forum, I would think it would be a good idea to contact any Consulate/Honorary Consulate Office before a visit. If you're really upset, I'm sure you can do a search and find an address to send a letter of complaint to them, rather than whining about it here.

Edited by beechguy

The Thai Embassy website in Australia has been letting people know for for quite a while: http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/announcement_perth.html

The consulate itself has been letting people know for months that they were going to close:

Actually they were informing people, otherwise it wouldn't have been discussed on this forum for a couple of months before hand. They certainly were making it known when I went there in late August to obtain a 1 year Non-immi "B" Visa. As to issuing notice on their website, perhaps they were concerned about an increase of customers near the end?

As to people who do not read this forum, I would think it would be a good idea to contact any Consulate/Honorary Consulate Office before a visit. If your really upset, I'm sure you can do a search and find an address to send a letter of complaint to them, rather than whining about it here.

They were a great place to go (I used them twice and referred many people there!) They fulfilled any obligation that they might have had to the general population and like any outsourced group they could have been replaced or closed from the Thai side with no notice. That is pretty normal for honorary consulates. Complaining about a private contractee not "apologizing" for something is just silly. I sure will miss the secretary there that actually listened and helped (which seems to be basically the opposite of what you can expect from official government agencies anywhere in the world!)

The Thai Embassy website in Australia has been letting people know for for quite a while: http://canberra.thai...ment_perth.html

The consulate itself has been letting people know for months that they were going to close: http://www.thaivisa....ing-in-october/

But they didn't inform Cuchulainn personally. Unforgivable, really. :whistling: