Fish Keep Dying Or Disappearing...

I have a few pots with water plants in them and to keep down the mossies I decided to buy some small guppies from the local fish place. Got about 20 in all, thought that would be enough to put a few in each pot.

It hasn't been successful though. With the dissapearance of most, and the death of others, I'm not left with many!

Two have had babies - which is very cute! They are so tiny! Though I'm not sure if I should separate them out from the adults... will they get eaten?

Still if anyone can tell me how to prevent the dying, and why they might be dissapearing I'd be very interested.

My suspicion is birds... but, I've not seen a single bird around my garden, nor anywhere near the pots, so I don't know if that is actually the case.

Thoughts?

why they might be dissapearing I'd be very interested.

My Koi and show Koi were disappearing, maybe one or 2 per month... found out why last month... Big Lizard jumped into pond while I was there... got a Government Thai man [2 came with a sack] and catch it, he takes good ones to the Zoo's. other to National Parks. it look very nice and if you did not see its feet you would think is was a snake wonderful colours... was 1.8 meters long from head to tip of tail.

Seen lots of small ones over the years even some of these eat fish.

Edit... also lots of different Snakes here, few years ago different Government Man came a few times, one he said it was a Cobra, another was a vivid green Pit Viper, small one don'r bother me just afraid for my 5 dogs, but these 2 meter + big snakes stay in and await someone to come and catch them.

Edited by ignis

I have the same problem.  

Every year at the same period, when we have quite heavy rains, here in Bangkok, the mortality rate of my guppies is hitting the roof... Not much that can be done: either the rain is quite acid, or something else is polluting the water...I just replace them, trying to keep a 3/1 female/male ratio. And they reproduce...

As for the babies, I leave them with the adults and "leave it to mother nature"!..  But I am feeding them every day, it certainly reduces the risk of canibalism...! 

I have the same problem.  

Every year at the same period, when we have quite heavy rains, here in Bangkok, the mortality rate of my guppies is hitting the roof... Not much that can be done: either the rain is quite acid, or something else is polluting the water...I just replace them, trying to keep a 3/1 female/male ratio. And they reproduce...

As for the babies, I leave them with the adults and "leave it to mother nature"!..  But I am feeding them every day, it certainly reduces the risk of canibalism...! 

I never thought about the pollution in the rainwater! I was actually thinking that it could be the soil in the bottom of the pots (has a bit of clay like consitency...) thought that could have been doing it and was considering changing it out.

Will just have to get some more... thanks for the advice!