Salaengs/Samlors....

napalm

so your nurse can't turn a wheel left and right but she can steer a motorbike handle left and right?

That's the craziest thing i have heard all week.

Obviously, you don't ride a bike.

To steer a bike on the move you don't steer by moving the "handle left and right". You lean.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so your nurse can't turn a wheel left and right but she can steer a motorbike handle left and right?

To steer a bike on the move you don't steer by moving the "handle left and right". You lean.

most thais start riding a bike bfore they are 12, and by the age of 20 they have done 1-200k km on a bike. Infrastructure in LOS. If you dont like samlors, you certanly wouldnt like all these people driving cars:rolleyes:

Do you lean on a samlor? Seriously I have no idea but leaning with that extra wheel would be kind of tough without turning the handlebars wouldn't it?

Do you lean on a samlor? Seriously I have no idea but leaning with that extra wheel would be kind of tough without turning the handlebars wouldn't it?

And as far as i know, thais don't lean on bikes, they swirl around by moving the handles which is why they always turn left for 5-6metersfirst when they want to turn right. On a car and on bikes

Edited by LivinginKata
Flame removed

And as far as i know, thais don't lean on bikes, they swirl around by moving the handles which is why they always turn left for 5-6metersfirst when they want to turn right. On a car and on bikes

Maybe time you learn how to ride a bike. Before turning right you first have to move to the left. Which is why a bike is far less agile than a lot of people think it is.

So KB is absolutely right: you turn a bike by leaning, not by the steering handles. A sidecar though you do turn by the steering handles, and sometimes also leaning but the opposite way.

Maybe time you learn how to ride a bike. Before turning right you first have to move to the left. Which is why a bike is far less agile than a lot of people think it is.

So KB is absolutely right: you turn a bike by leaning, not by the steering handles. A sidecar though you do turn by the steering handles, and sometimes also leaning but the opposite way.

Wow clearly you have a huge problem with reading words and understand their meanings.

where did i say you are not supose to lean?

Guess what, just seen a Farang going from Wiset road up Sai Yuan road on a Samlor with a lot of stuff in the sidecar and his gf on the back

with NO LIGHT front and back, no light at all, looked like a bald guy, if its one of you guys here i say, just be lucky if you made it home alive. This was 19.30

I wonder how some are able to drive a bike around a corner? :jap:

When the bike is slowly (about < 30 km/h) you turn the front wheel to the side you like to go.

If its faster, you turn the wheel to the opposite direction.

You can lean as much as you want, without moving the handlebar the bike goes straight ahead.

Samlor the style made in Udon Thani. Mostly seen as Taxi in Isaan.

I am the proud owner of one.:D It brings me, my tools, my better half, water and food to our rice field. If we need bigger shopping its good to go to the next town. When a few farmer friends and me are going out to the next Moo for a noodle soup or a big sport event, then i will drive them with my three-wheeler. Whenever i had an glass too much of whatever:whistling:, the Samlor brings me home save. I do not like to drive Samlor inside a big city. Or on a busy fast road. And faster as about 50 km/h is not safe anymore.

Did a Visa run with the Samlor. More then 100 km to the border. Around 3 hours on good new streets and not a lot of traffic. And back 3 hours. This was a nice day. And adding to this slowly going, being able to see the beauty of the land, i got my stamp from the Border Police accompanied with a lot of smiles and jokes. Never before or after did i experience this feeling of 'they really like to welcome me to Thailand'. :rolleyes:

When the bike is slowly (about < 30 km/h) you turn the front wheel to the side you like to go.

You can lean as much as you want, without moving the handlebar the bike goes straight ahead.

I didn't want to say anything, not being a proper bike rider like some of the other posters, but I was thinking the same. Yes you lean as well, but no turning the handlebars = no turning.

Guess what, just seen a Farang going from Wiset road up Sai Yuan road on a Samlor with a lot of stuff in the sidecar and his gf on the back

with NO LIGHT front and back, no light at all, looked like a bald guy, if its one of you guys here i say, just be lucky if you made it home alive. This was 19.30

I bet it was Ilyelol :lol:

Samlor the style made in Udon Thani. Mostly seen as Taxi in Isaan.

I am the proud owner of one.:D It brings me, my tools, my better half, water and food to our rice field. If we need bigger shopping its good to go to the next town. When a few farmer friends and me are going out to the next Moo for a noodle soup or a big sport event, then i will drive them with my three-wheeler. Whenever i had an glass too much of whatever:whistling:, the Samlor brings me home save. I do not like to drive Samlor inside a big city. Or on a busy fast road. And faster as about 50 km/h is not safe anymore.

Did a Visa run with the Samlor. More then 100 km to the border. Around 3 hours on good new streets and not a lot of traffic. And back 3 hours. This was a nice day. And adding to this slowly going, being able to see the beauty of the land, i got my stamp from the Border Police accompanied with a lot of smiles and jokes. Never before or after did i experience this feeling of 'they really like to welcome me to Thailand'. :rolleyes:

[/size]

Like this?

post-81971-001392100 1286601641_thumb.jp

siamtuktukdotcom

most common tuk tuk and samlor in North East. Works much better on crappy roads, rides safer, Lifan 150cc provides approx 50kmh and can load hundreds of kg

unfortunately they have not bothered to make it road legal, but up there they consider it legal

Like this?

siamtuktukdotcom

most common tuk tuk and samlor in North East. Works much better on crappy roads, rides safer, Lifan 150cc provides approx 50kmh and can load hundreds of kg

unfortunately they have not bothered to make it road legal, but up there they consider it legal

YES.

They seem to be legal here. Every one has his own identification-number. The Owners are listed by the manufacturer. My wife got the information that this includes some kind of insurance. I did not check on this, as i am covered.

YES.

They seem to be legal here. Every one has his own identification-number. The Owners are listed by the manufacturer. My wife got the information that this includes some kind of insurance. I did not check on this, as i am covered.

Local government issue them with numbers in Isarn and they can be insured and insurance covers, but they are actually illegal, cause they cant pass emissiontests and havent spent money on brake tests. Illegal according to Thai law, but considered legal in parts of Thailand

Similar to the samlors here in south. Most havent done a roadworthy test including an expensive brake test, thus they are illegal. But never a crack down on them and insurance covers, if not infrastructure would suffer to much with no samlors

Local government issue them with numbers in Isarn and they can be insured and insurance covers, but they are actually illegal, cause they cant pass emissiontests and havent spent money on brake tests. Illegal according to Thai law, but considered legal in parts of Thailand

Similar to the samlors here in south. Most havent done a roadworthy test including an expensive brake test, thus they are illegal. But never a crack down on them and insurance covers, if not infrastructure would suffer to much with no samlors

That is one of the advantage you have here in Isarn. The friendly Police here may stop all the vehicles, but they never stop me on the Samlor. Just wave me to go on. AND give me a big smile. Okay the same they do when i drive my bigger bike. If they stop the bike, it is to look at the bike. :D

I love Isarn. :jap:

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Madness

THERE are two things about Thailand that are totally incomprehensible to westerners:

Buddhism and road rules.

The two are inextricably linked, and by understanding one, you gain insight into the other.

Western religions are burdened with the concept of opposites such as good and evil, heaven and hel_l, and light and dark.

Buddhism recognizes the inherent oneness of all things and sees these supposed opposites as facets of the unity and totality of existence.

To follow the way of the Thai driver, you too must cast off these illusions of duality, such as the duality of two traffic lanes moving in opposite directions.

The Thai driver sees both lanes as part of the one road, and both directions as an expression of the eternal flow of all things.

When you have grasped this concept, you will then understand why Thais so naturally swerve into oncoming traffic to overtake, and why they are completely serene as they travel along a busy road the wrong way.

It is because there is no wrong way, only ‘The Way’.

It’s the same with traffic lights.

To the enlightened Buddhist driver, red and green are not different colours, but simply different ways of seeing the same traffic light.

Unlearn such deceptive Western notions as ‘right of way’ and your inner eye will open, which is the only way to proceed through an intersection in Thailand.

In Thailand, existence is not seen as a linear progression from birth to death, but rather as an endless cycle of life, death and rebirth.

As one’s soul gains experience and enlightenment from each lifetime, that soul is reincarnated into yet another lifetime until Nirvana is achieved and he, or she, escapes from this eternal cycle into a state of perpetual bliss.

You never die, because life is a mere Honda Dream.

Instead, you simply pass into another life for another chance to attain the wisdom necessary for enlightenment.

You should also never fear death, even when careening along a twisty Phuket highway at 200km an hour with a bottomless chasm yawning right next to the road.

This life will end when it is time, and no matter how often you check your mirrors, a pick-up truck can come screaming up from behind and make that time now.

Accept this as inevitable, and you will be free to follow the way of the Thai driver, overtaking on blind corners and driving in the rain at breakneck speeds without a helmet.

Those who wish to spend a little longer in this lifetime should be especially careful when driving past Buddhist temples, because those drivers coming out have probably just made merit and may be looking for reincarnation while the getting is good.

Be like the water, which is the essence of all life and, as such, has many lessons to teach us.

Water can fit into any container and seep through even the smallest crack, and so too can the Thai driver.

He can manoeuvre into any space between two speeding vehicles, no matter how small or inconvenient it may be, or at what speed he is travelling.

When confronted by an obstacle, water does not stop, but flows around the obstacle, never losing momentum.

So, too must you.

When someone along life’s highway has stopped in the middle of the road to smell the roses, or pick up some fried chicken, you must flow around the obstacle, never stopping your harmonious movement.

Patience is also necessary when leaving a car park and turning across an oncoming lane of vehicles.

You must slowly edge onto the road, keeping an eye out for even the tiniest cracks in the teeming traffic.

What is the sound of one horn honking?

As you travel the road to enlightenment, you will ponder this repeatedly, because it is a sound you will hear quite a bit.

The answer is childishly simple.

It depends on how many times it honks.

One honk indicate that someone is overtaking or coming through, while a series of several honks is meant as a warning to anyone stupid enough to get in the way.

There is also the puzzle of the turn signal.

A blinking left indicator can mean the driver is about to make a left turn, or it an mean he is about to make a right turn or no turn at all.

Understanding intractable questions like these is the secret to mastering the way of the Thai road.

it's not zen art, that just a fancy way to explain why there's retards on the road.

Thais are fake buddhist, they dont understand what they are doing. I have read buddhist books and the monks all agree that thais only follow the tradition that gives them time to get drunk and do nothing. Thais are as much buddhist as atheist are christian. They only keep the good fun stuff. They dont understand anything about it.

Thais are fake buddhist, they dont understand what they are doing. I have read buddhist books and the monks all agree that thais only follow the tradition that gives them time to get drunk and do nothing. Thais are as much buddhist as atheist are christian. They only keep the good fun stuff. They dont understand anything about it.

What you mean a belief in ghosts and other pii isnt Buddhist ??

Getting your car blessed so it doesnt crash, or washing machine so it doesnt break down.. Isnt buddhist ??

Shocked I tells ya.. Shocked :lol:

I saw a salaeng taxi this morning. They exist in other parts of Thailand and Cambodia but I was very surprised to see one here in Phuket, where we all know who controls public transport.

It even had sign in English with a phone number, which I didn't take down so those of you that want a ride will have to find it for yourselves.

As I think I made clear in an earlier post, I don't enjoy driving my samlor - but as I refuse to drive a car for fear of killing someone, have to use it to pick up water etc.

I've only ever once taken it on the bypass road - but that was because I found a seriously ill and starving dog and needed to get her to the vets. I thought she might have distemper, so couldn't ask any of my friends (they all have dogs) to take the poor dog in their cars.

I quailed at the thought of driving my samlor over Chalong Circle, but realised I had no choice or the dog would die..... (turned out she had pneumonia as well as being almost starved to death).

No doubt you would have ranted at my samlor on the by-pass road - but I think your (or anyone else's inconvenience) was far less important than saving the life of a lovely dog!

I saw a western woman riding a samlor yesterday afternoon. She was turning from the Beach rd in Karon heading towards Patak rd and appeared to be carring a number of large bags full of empty plastic bottles.

You, F1?

As I think I made clear in an earlier post, I don't enjoy driving my samlor - but as I refuse to drive a car for fear of killing someone, have to use it to pick up water etc.

I've only ever once taken it on the bypass road - but that was because I found a seriously ill and starving dog and needed to get her to the vets. I thought she might have distemper, so couldn't ask any of my friends (they all have dogs) to take the poor dog in their cars.

I quailed at the thought of driving my samlor over Chalong Circle, but realised I had no choice or the dog would die..... (turned out she had pneumonia as well as being almost starved to death).

No doubt you would have ranted at my samlor on the by-pass road - but I think your (or anyone else's inconvenience) was far less important than saving the life of a lovely dog!

I saw a western woman riding a samlor yesterday afternoon. She was turning from the Beach rd in Karon heading towards Patak rd and appeared to be carring a number of large bags full of empty plastic bottles.

You, F1?

Promise you - no, it wasn't me! :lol:

I only drive my samlor to pick up water or, in an emergency - when friends with cars aren't available (or as in the case mentioned above - I didn't want to put their dogs at risk).

I HATE driving the thing, its unbelievably heavy on the arms. After driving only a couple of km, my arms are killing me! Knowing this, I've a lot of sympathy for samlor drivers.

Anyway, they're useful to the locals - so whilst we may complain at the driving of them sometimes, we have no right to even think about trying to get them banned. Its one of the things we love about this country, H&S laws are far more relaxed.

I agree, they should be roadworthy, but other than that why would anyone who enjoys the way of life here think about whether they're legal or not just because they're slow and a nuisance?? :unsure:

THERE are two things about Thailand that are totally incomprehensible to westerners:

Buddhism and road rules.

The two are inextricably linked, and by understanding one, you gain insight into the other.

Western religions are burdened with the concept of opposites such as good and evil, heaven and hel_l, and light and dark.

Buddhism recognizes the inherent oneness of all things and sees these supposed opposites as facets of the unity and totality of existence.

To follow the way of the Thai driver, you too must cast off these illusions of duality, such as the duality of two traffic lanes moving in opposite directions.

The Thai driver sees both lanes as part of the one road, and both directions as an expression of the eternal flow of all things.

When you have grasped this concept, you will then understand why Thais so naturally swerve into oncoming traffic to overtake, and why they are completely serene as they travel along a busy road the wrong way.

It is because there is no wrong way, only 'The Way'.

It's the same with traffic lights.

To the enlightened Buddhist driver, red and green are not different colours, but simply different ways of seeing the same traffic light.

Unlearn such deceptive Western notions as 'right of way' and your inner eye will open, which is the only way to proceed through an intersection in Thailand.

In Thailand, existence is not seen as a linear progression from birth to death, but rather as an endless cycle of life, death and rebirth.

As one's soul gains experience and enlightenment from each lifetime, that soul is reincarnated into yet another lifetime until Nirvana is achieved and he, or she, escapes from this eternal cycle into a state of perpetual bliss.

Instead, you simply pass into another life for another chance to attain the wisdom necessary for enlightenment.

You should also never fear death, even when careening along a twisty Phuket highway at 200km an hour with a bottomless chasm yawning right next to the road.

This life will end when it is time, and no matter how often you check your mirrors, a pick-up truck can come screaming up from behind and make that time now.

Accept this as inevitable, and you will be free to follow the way of the Thai driver, overtaking on blind corners and driving in the rain at breakneck speeds without a helmet.

Those who wish to spend a little longer in this lifetime should be especially careful when driving past Buddhist temples, because those drivers coming out have probably just made merit and may be looking for reincarnation while the getting is good.

Be like the water, which is the essence of all life and, as such, has many lessons to teach us.

Water can fit into any container and seep through even the smallest crack, and so too can the Thai driver.

He can manoeuvre into any space between two speeding vehicles, no matter how small or inconvenient it may be, or at what speed he is travelling.

When confronted by an obstacle, water does not stop, but flows around the obstacle, never losing momentum.

So, too must you.

When someone along life's highway has stopped in the middle of the road to smell the roses, or pick up some fried chicken, you must flow around the obstacle, never stopping your harmonious movement.

Patience is also necessary when leaving a car park and turning across an oncoming lane of vehicles.

You must slowly edge onto the road, keeping an eye out for even the tiniest cracks in the teeming traffic.

As you travel the road to enlightenment, you will ponder this repeatedly, because it is a sound you will hear quite a bit.

One honk indicate that someone is overtaking or coming through, while a series of several honks is meant as a warning to anyone stupid enough to get in the way.

A blinking left indicator can mean the driver is about to make a left turn, or it an mean he is about to make a right turn or no turn at all.

Understanding intractable questions like these is the secret to mastering the way of the Thai road.

Brilliant and Spot on! I nominate this for "post of the week."

LMAO HAHAHAHA I have one too...I hate them also...a freind of mine hates them so much he has threatened to run me off the road with his car when he sees me...so i choose my hours wisely...and only ride it when i really need to pick some stuff up

Forgot,

Yes, they are an annoyance, but I also have one.

Buddhism and road rules.

It is because there is no wrong way, only 'The Way'.

It's the same with traffic lights.

Unlearn such deceptive Western notions as 'right of way' and your inner eye will open, which is the only way to proceed through an intersection in Thailand.

As one's soul gains experience and enlightenment from each lifetime, that soul is reincarnated into yet another lifetime until Nirvana is achieved and he, or she, escapes from this eternal cycle into a state of perpetual bliss.

So, too must you.

When someone along life's highway has stopped in the middle of the road to smell the roses, or pick up some fried chicken, you must flow around the obstacle, never stopping your harmonious movement.

Brilliant and Spot on! I nominate this for "post of the week."

Thanks, but I didn't write it, only passing it on as it is the only thing that I have read that makes sense of the way that people drive here!

when you first register the bikes they are a 2 wheeled machine....when you attatch the side car it thens become 3 wheeler....this is technically illegal as they are not registered as a 3 wheeler....as far as i know the only legitmate 3 wheelers here are the ice cream trucks which are made in vietnam....or so i am told by the barflies in my pub....what we really need in Thailand is like a "Mythbusters" style program or forum or something....get to the bottom of all this

And how did you come to the conclusion they are all illegal? I am wondering, what is illegal about them? Mine gets a new sticker every year plus insurance, is it still illegal?

when you first register the bikes they are a 2 wheeled machine....when you attatch the side car it thens become 3 wheeler....this is technically illegal as they are not registered as a 3 wheeler....as far as i know the only legitmate 3 wheelers here are the ice cream trucks which are made in vietnam....or so i am told by the barflies in my pub....what we really need in Thailand is like a "Mythbusters" style program or forum or something....get to the bottom of all this

Tiger have got full homogolated type approval on the Retro and Sidecar

retroxsidecar.jpg

One of the few you would be sure are legal.