If You Are Listening To Music Now..

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Born Under A Bad Sign; Rita Coolidge

I know Cream did it, but who did the original?

booker t jones of booker t and the mg's (of green onions fame)

Thanks. I did not know that, the Rita Coolidge version has 'booker t jones' on keyboards and arrangements.

Gene Pitney: 24 hours from Tulsa.

I recall that in the mid-eighties I was on a bus going to Tulsa. As we pulled into Phoenix, Arizona, I told the guy next to me that we were only 24 hours from Tulsa.

He was German, and didn't get it.

Edited by libya 115

I recall that in the mid-eighties I was on a bus going to Tulsa. As we pulled into Phoenix, Arizona, I told the guy next to me that we were only 24 hours from Tulsa.

Great segue from my Neil Young album above your post, which ends with a song called "Last Trip to Tulsa". :o

Great segue from my Neil Young album above your post, which ends with a song called "Last Trip to Tulsa". :o

The powers of the unknown, some people call it coincidence........!

Opal; 'She's a Diamond.

The powers of the unknown, some people call it coincidence........!

Opal; 'She's a Diamond.

But alas, it ends there:

Miles Davis - The Cellar Door Sessions [12/17/1970 Set 2]

Albert King did a cut but I dont remember what year. Early 70's?

Albert King cut the original version in 1967, the Piano player on the LP - Booker.T Jones wrote the track with William Bell.

Great music, sadly lacking these days.

Albert King cut the original version in 1967, the Piano player on the LP - Booker.T Jones wrote the track with William Bell.

Thanks Chon,

I couldn't remember the year.

Now...

Foot Stomping Music - Grand Funk

I heartily agree...with a line like 'if wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all...' makes for a modern classic...

an inspiration...I'm gonna get me a Gibson 'flying vee' and an amp and blow the roof offa my shophouse...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

booker t jones of booker t and the mg's (of green onions fame)

Thanks. I did not know that, the Rita Coolidge version has 'booker t jones' on keyboards and arrangements.

Jimi also did a instrumental version of this powerful song, circa '67, I believe.

One of the "Three Kings of the Blues Guitar" (along with B.B. King and Freddie King), he stood 6' 4" weighed in at 260 lbs (118 kg) and was known as "The Velvet Bulldozer". He was born Albert Nelson into a humble family in Indianola, Mississippi, at a cotton plantation where he worked in his early days. One of his earlier influences in music was his own father, Will Nelson, who would often play the guitar. During his childhood he would also sing at a family gospel group at a church. He began his professional work as a musician with a group called In The Groove Boys, in Osceola, Arkansas. He also briefly played drums for Jimmy Reed's band. The electric guitar became his signature instrument, his preference being the Gibson Flying V, which he named "Lucy".

His first hit was "I'm A Lonely Man", released in 1959. However, it was not until his 1961 release "Don't Throw Your Love on Me So Strong" that he had a major hit, ranking 14th on the R&B charts. In 1966 he signed with the famous Stax record label and in 1967 released his legendary album Born Under A Bad Sign. The title track of that album (written by Booker T. Jones and William Bell) became King's most well known song and has been covered by many artists (from Cream to Homer Simpson). On February 1, 1968 King was booked by promoter Bill Graham for a performance at the Fillmore Auditorium on a bill with Jimi Hendrix. The opening act was a band called Soft Machine, which had been opening for Hendrix on a number of dates on a U.S. tour in early 1968. The crowd was eagerly anticipating hearing Albert and Hendrix and so when Soft Machine's set seemed to drag on, a large portion of the crowd began chanting, "Albert King, Albert King," which resulted in Graham taking the stage and castigating the audience for being rude to an artist (Soft Machine). Those who attended this Fillmore show report that King "stole the show" as the throng was of course anticipating the electricity of Hendrix, but King had them wrapped around his finger after a couple of heartfelt songs. A highlight was when Albert meshed a broken string replacement into a song without missing a beat. When Hendrix appeared on stage, the first thing he said was, "Yeah, Albert King. I dig him." Then he proceeded to play some of Albert's licks as an homage.

King was a left-handed "upside-down/backwards" guitarist: he was left-handed but usually played right-handed guitars flipped over upside-down so the low E string was on the bottom. In later years he played a custom-made guitar that was basically left-handed, but had the strings reversed (as he was used to playing). He also used very unorthodox tunings (i.e., tuning as low as C to allow him to make sweeping string bends). A "less is more" type blues player, he was known for his expressive "bending" of notes, a technique characteristic of blues guitarists. Jimi Hendrix also played right-handed guitars that were flipped over, but in contrast, Hendrix also flipped the nut and bridge to retain the string layout (low E on top).

King influenced many later blues guitarists including Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Mike Bloomfield, Gary Moore, and Stevie Ray Vaughan. Eric Clapton's guitar solo on the 1968 Cream hit "Strange Brew" from the album Disraeli Gears is a close emulation of King's solo on his Stax Records hit "Oh, Pretty Woman".

One of King's last contributions was on guitarist Gary Moore's 1990 Still Got the Blues album, spawning a new version of "Oh, Pretty Woman" (a European hit single). This led to a number of guest appearances on Moore's European tours, along with Albert Collins.

King died on December 21, 1992 from a heart attack in Memphis, Tennessee. He has a star on the St. Louis Walk of Fame.

Oh... Dire Straits... Fade to Black... Single Malt whisky, night time moon and stars.... sitting on a balcony overlooking the Med..... Gorgeous Track....

Edited by kayo

KAYO - WHERE YA BEEN!!!

Never heard that one... artists sounds well cool though...

:D:o

I been off gettin' drunk for christmas in geneva.

back home now, but i got some friends round tomorrow for a few days, so Imay not be around much.

That may be a good thing?

A mighty good thing.

R.I.P JB, Godfather of Soul. I'm actually quite sad he's gone. He hadn't, imho, done anything innovative since his first innovations, and was rather repetitive, but he was still a part of our live, like.