What Do You Miss About Your Home Country

kenny999

Hmmm....I remember this much I missed about Singapore when I was in Phuket.

1) Internet connections that is fast and actually connects.

2) Tap water that can be drank out of the tap. I have the bad habit of rinsing my mouth when showering....and everytime in Phuket, I had to spit out the water instead of allowing to ingest some of them.

3) Doctors & clinics, I can walk a few steps downstairs, and get cheap medical consultation.

4) 24 hour foodcourts, macdonalds and mustafa centre for 3am shopping for a sudden craving of baklava and even shower gels. And no one can try to rip me off or harrass me walking the streets home.

5) Police that isnt on the take.....or attempts to follow me to try to make me pay 'fines for offences'.

6) Very steady electrical supply. We dont have surges or blackouts where you wake up 3am sweating cos the aircon is out.

7) Electronic goods. I dont trust the Thai brands or the Thai product servicing centres.

8) Books & Libraries....I read Chinese and English, a tiny bit of Japanese and Malay and I can always get them reading materials at Singapore libraries....at one location. Bookshops too.

9) Radio. The Singapore radio stations are not comparable to the Seattle Jazz stations, but at least I can get any of them stations doing different genre, different languages & Top 100 easily. There is only this much I can take a repeat and repeat of Thai popular songs and their Dj using funny recorded farting sounds to make themselves or others sounds funny.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

more and more we miss the quality and diversity of British TV programmes;

Not an issue. You can pretty much download anything you want nowadays.

Of course it's an issue;

who wants to sit in front of a small screen trying to slowly download from poor internet connections.

Do you want to continually keep hopping up and down to check your connections, check that the programme you want will arrive at all.

When you should be relaxing on the sofa with your 42" screen giving you the evenings entertainment?

more and more we miss the quality and diversity of British TV programmes;

Not an issue. You can pretty much download anything you want nowadays.

Of course it's an issue;

who wants to sit in front of a small screen trying to slowly download from poor internet connections.

Do you want to continually keep hopping up and down to check your connections, check that the programme you want will arrive at all.

When you should be relaxing on the sofa with your 42" screen giving you the evenings entertainment?

You can still download stuff faster than you can watch it.

As I pay 3BB a fixed rate each month, I am downloading programs 24/7 to make full use of my internet fee.

Have you actually tried downloading torrents, yet?

Many times internet drops out because it's not being used (crazy, I know).

Nothing that I can imagine would ever cause me to return full time.

You invariable notice the things that are not present here in in Thailand - I would add work-ethic, ambition and loyalty.

I think about how my daughter is settling in at University - butas there is nothing I can do about it, it is pointless dwelling on it for too long.

Of course it's an issue;

Nope I have a proper media center connected to my TV (and in previous home 120 inch projection system).. and terrabytes of unwatched programming..

Stuff downloads overnight.. I dont even notice it coming or not.

Nope I have a proper media center connected to my TV (and in previous home 120 inch projection system).. and terrabytes of unwatched programming..

Maybe just maybe not everyone can afford media center's etc nice if you can!!!

You can still download stuff faster than you can watch it.

As I pay 3BB a fixed rate each month, I am downloading programs 24/7 to make full use of my internet fee.

Have you actually tried downloading torrents, yet?

Many times internet drops out because it's not being used (crazy, I know).

Thanks ,but enlighten please, what is torrents?

I'm probably not so up with modern technology as you, but will learn!

First you download a program called Vuze, or uTorrent. With this program installed, you can then search for films, TV shows, games and computer programs and then download the files.

Unfortunately, I'm not that knowledgable about this stuff. Hopefully, someone else can explain it better.

Maybe just maybe not everyone can afford media center's etc nice if you can!!!

Need not be pricy.. Tho a full HTPC setup is a fair bit of work.

3500 baht is the western digital media center under big C.. Good bit of kit..

I was just correcting the miss understanding that people sit looking at downloaded content on a laptop screen or something. Almost any TV these days will have a PC input so you watch it on your regular display

First you download a program called Vuze, or uTorrent. With this program installed, you can then search for films, TV shows, games and computer programs and then download the files.

Unfortunately, I'm not that knowledgable about this stuff. Hopefully, someone else can explain it better.

Thanks for your prompt reply

I Will now give it a try.

Torrents are a way of collecting a download.. Its a distributed system so very hard for it to be 'shutdown'..

First download uTorrent (and hope your ports are open as setting them up can be fiddly) and install.

Then go to the pirate bay (or one of 100's of torrent trackers).. find a video or music you want and download the torrent tracker. uTorrent will then open.

You should always look to see how many 'seeds' are sharing the file.. more seeds means faster download (on really broad strokes). Dont worry if it starts off slow.. It often starts slow and builds until it maximized your connection bandwidth.

Its good nettiquette to always leave a file seeding after you download, you should aim for uploading 1.5 ratio.. Not enforced unless on private trackers but its the community minded thing to do.

Really almost any film, video, TV etc out there in one corner of the net or other. I personally love MV group as it has all of the BBC and UK documentary stuff, Palin travel shows, attenbourough natural history, exquinox, horizon, etc etc.

Edited by LivinLOS

Thanks for your prompt reply

I Will now give it a try.

Enjoy, i do and it start itself if net goes down

http://www.bittorrent.com/

http://torrents.to/

Really almost any film, video, TV etc out there in one corner of the net or other. I personally love MV group as it has all of the BBC and UK documentary stuff, Palin travel shows, attenbourough natural history, exquinox, horizon, etc etc.

I'd never heard of MV group before, just looked in to it and it's right up my street. Cheers.

There are a few things I miss from my home country; some foods, good beer and bourbons, cheaper wine to name a few. But TV and movies would not be on that list. It wouldn't bother me one bit if I never saw another movie or watched TV again! burp.gif

Good friends, Bottles of becks, not having to ask the price of everything before you buy, UK bars, and UK supermarket prices and having a car.

In fact if I could transport all the pretty girls back to Newcastle, turn the temperature right up outside, put a big swimming pool in my garden, surf without my wetsuit, eat out for every meal, get a good massage several times a week, and be called a hansom man everyday I'd go back tomorrow.

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2010/02/holographic_head_projection_music_v.html

Not really the music produced, tho beardie man is an origional.. But that kind of level of creativity, of performance art, of modern culture.

The longer your here the further away from this stuff you fall behind (or the further it accelerates away).. like people not knowing what a smartphone does etc. Leads to a two tier luddite trap.

Edited by LivinLOS

i miss affordable and tasty wine and cheese.. i'm from australia.

i used to miss being able to converse with random people, but slowly my thai is getting to the point i can almost do that.

i also miss my car, even tho it is really crap, driving it is one of my fave things to do when i'm at home.

Funny I always buy Aussie wine and it seems those brands available here are almost on par with Aussie prices...sure not much of a selection though...do miss the Aussie delis with pies, feta cheeses and and and and...lol AND VB!

Funny I always buy Aussie wine and it seems those brands available here are almost on par with Aussie prices...sure not much of a selection though...do miss the Aussie delis with pies, feta cheeses and and and and...lol AND VB!

Have you been to oz in the last year of 2 ?? I am told by my Oz mates theres a total glut of Oz wine and clearskins of OK wines are 2 bucks !! So we are still paying 400%..

Tho I do agree we are seeing a lot of ozzie wines drop in price to reflect the lower input cost. Your getting some good ish wines now at prices that used to be good for vinaigrette ;) !!

Then again its possible my tastebuds have been ruined too.