What Do Farang Get Out Of The Farang Bar Scene?

Chunky1

You go into a bar geared towards the farang and the first thing that happens is an unattractive woman attempts to converse with you in order to size you up as a potential mark asking you a series of questions in order to gauge your naivety and desperation. And you are supposed to be paying for this experience? You would have to pay me to sit in one of these bars, yet somehow it is the thriving lifeblood of Thailand's tourist industry?

• Like 2

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some of us have friends Chunks and we end up down some of the bar areas for a few beers and a laugh after leaving a more respectable place.

What Onnut said

Free pool table, beer only 20bht more than a Thai place with no pool table.

The girls are often fun as well, no need to buy drinks for them (or buy anything else)

Althiough after 5 or 6 large Changs, dreadful 'hagnaby' mistakes can be made!

Edited by sarahsbloke

Chunky

It's a great place to go and meet all the retired members of the SAS, SBS and other Special Forces. There are currently more in Thailand than there ever have been in the history of the UK Special forces. It makes for a great conversation. 'What do you do then' they reply drawing in on a fag held between thumb and index finger "I was special forces', "cool, what unit were you with'? , 'I can't tell you, official secrets act you know'. 'yeah but it was a long time ago, who were you with', 'I can't possibly say anything about it'. 'Well I understand that, bit of a conversation killer, but hey I used to work with you guys a lot, flying 22 out of Hereford, working with you in NI and Belize, and a few more places, I was on Puma's, what was your CO's name?'..............'Hello...was it something I said? Hello, Why have you left?? ...hello..... who dares wins ra ra ra....no? eh ok.', Bar girl comes along 'No worry Mr, he full of shit, come here every night, full of shit', be careful he no money, take from falang!

LMAO what a great night out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSl81aZEtWw

My first evening in Chiang Mai

Went into one of those bars, bought a girl a drink, like you would do in a bar back home.

She asked me to pay her bar fine, I didn't know what a bar fine was, but was damned sure I didn't want to pay it.

So she paid it herself then followed me home!

Stalked me for the next 3 months, telling everyone I was her boyfriend!

Edited by sarahsbloke

Went into one of those bars, bought a girl a drink, like you would do in a bar back home.

She asked me to pay her bar fine, I didn't know what a bar fine was, but was damned sure I didn't want to pay it.

I know the OP was talking about unattractive women but I don't think he had in mind women that ugly that they will pay their own barfine to go with you. :D

• Like 2

I seldom go to bars these days, but when I do I go to Farang Bars.

I've seen far too many problems in 'Thai Orientated Bars' ranging from bills being passed to the 'visiting' Farang to the 'visiting' Farang winding up in a fight over some trumped up offense.

The OP's right in a sense, there are a lot of seedy 'Farang Bars' - but they are on the whole very safe places to sit and have a drink.

Treat the staff with respect and they'll almost always return with respect for you.

• Like 2

What;'s the Farang bar scene?

Until this thread, I thought it was the bars run and customed by farang, that focus on beer, food and sport.

When I go to those places, I get beer food and sport.

There are also go go bars, where you can get go go dancers, and beer bars, where you can get bar girls...

I would have thought that it was patently obvious, in principle, why anyone goes to the appropriate bar.

Some of us like to go to places that are not tailored to us, because we like to swim out of our depth, or whatever. BUt must of the time, I go to whichever bar is appropriate.

Chunky; I'm sorry if you look so pissed or such a cheapskate that they set the dog on you, but no doubt you bring that on yourself

SC

• Like 1

Yep, good looks really can be a curse ;)

I seldom go to bars these days, but when I do I go to Farang Bars.

I've seen far too many problems in 'Thai Orientated Bars' ranging from bills being passed to the 'visiting' Farang to the 'visiting' Farang winding up in a fight over some trumped up offense.

The OP's right in a sense, there are a lot of seedy 'Farang Bars' - but they are on the whole very safe places to sit and have a drink.

Treat the staff with respect and they'll almost always return with respect for you.

Go with a Thai friend, and let him check the bill and pay for it (you can still give him back the money, if that is your previous agreement).

Why not go somewhere that has women who aren't hideous, if you are going for the women?

All I can ask is from what planet are you? "Hideous?" First, that is rather subjective and more than a little arrogant. Second, I have been in a number of bars over the last few months, and while not every woman dancing there would be reigning Miss Thailands, more than enough are downright hot by just about any person's judgment (unless Asian women are not your thing, and in that case, why are you in a Thai forum instead of a Finnish, Columbian, or Kenyan forum?)

I am too much of a posting newbie to call troll, so I wouldn't dream of doing that.

And you are supposed to be paying for this experience?

Romantics look on it as the initial deposit on their sin sot. Start at 1 million baht then deduct drinks, drinks for sister me, bell rings (to prove you aren't a cheap charlie) and bar fines for your loved one to be.

And you are supposed to be paying for this experience?

Romantics look on it as the initial deposit on their sin sot. Start at 1 million baht then deduct drinks, drinks for sister me, bell rings (to prove you aren't a cheap charlie) and bar fines for your loved one to be.

Perhaps this thread should be merged with TransAm's. :whistling:

Dunno what bar you have been going to OP, probably the one set up for wingeing, stupid farrangs.

The 'farrang bars' my friends and I go to, we have a laugh, swap stories about the latest TV idiot (seen a few of those today), chat with some of the Thai locals (who also seem to want to come along) and have a good chinwag and a cheap beer.

I never get propositioned by any of the girls. Maybe I'm just too darned ugly, maybe they spot me counting out my 10 Baht coins, maybe they think my pink t-shirt means that I am gay, or maybe they sense that I am only there for a beer and a chat........ laugh.gif

So what was your point again?

dry.gif

ps - please do not come to any of the bars that we go to cool.gif