Not So Cheap Phone Calls

phupaman

Hi All.

A couple of months ago I read on TV that Deedial was a cheap way to phone the UK , So I Duly went through their website and their it was 1or 2 baht per minute to phone UK all I had to do was register with them and run off to my local 7/11 and buy 250 baht credit which I duly done.

Well since then I have made a few calls to the UK and all seemed well, until today. We got our TOT phone bill and on the 8-9 2010 I made 2 phone calls to the UK using the Deedial access number and on my TOT bill I am charged 280 baht for a 30 minute call and after that 126 baht for a 15 minute call again useing Deedial access number, also all the calls I have made through Deedial incur a 4 -50 baht connection charge, fair enough then further down my bill I incur 1 charge of 18 baht and 1 charge of 36 baht both naming True, Now my land line is TOT and using the Deedial access number how come I incur connection charge of 18 and 36 baht to True, Any way I duly phone Deedial through their call centre only to be told I should use a mobile to connect to them after telling him that I am one of a rare breed that do not and never will own a mobile phone, he just could not under stand that I do not have a mobile, at this point I handed the phone to my wife who is Thai and she got no explanation about TOT also chargeing me for the calls except I should own a mobile, Well it ended with my wife requesting the money we have in credit, and the money TOT charged us for the same calls, it ended with them promiseing to phone her back on her mobile , we shall see.

phupaman

I was contacted by Lenso yesterday wanting to sell their promotion of 1 baht per minute .To day they gave me 40 baht credit to try where you ring a number and oversea number and I spoke to my family for 30 minutes and seemed to be clear with no drop out problems . We will see how long the good line holds together.

Well, I can't answer all of these questions, but some of them make sense. The 18 baht and 36 baht charges to True are due to the newly agreed interconnect fee. Deedial's access number is on the True network, and apparently TOT is already charging it, although technically I don't think they have to. Apparently it is 1.2 baht per minute.

I think you should start your complaint with TOT, asking them why they are charging you an interconnect fee to call a True landline number, and see what they say. You can probably get that charge reversed if you are persistent. What number does it list on the TOT bill for calling a True number? Is it the Deedial access number?

(BTW, rather than a mobile, you could also solve the problem by getting a True landline, unfortunately you will have to be in Bangkok for that to work.)

I wouldn't be too hard on the Deedial call center. They likely have no idea what is going on with interconnect fees either.

The 280 baht and the 126 are clearly the standard tariffs for calling a Bangkok number from your location. There is probably no way to get those reversed, as you did in fact make the call.

The simple fact is, there is no reliable way to use any of the inexpensive calling services from an upcountry land line. You can't use callback, because with an analog phone the system won't be able to reliably detect a hangup.

In this case, I think the Deedial call center is correct. Your only solution is to use a mobile phone to access the network. It is not their fault. It is a structural limitation from TOT. I think you should simply politely explain that you would like them to refund any unused credits on your Deedial account, but I think you can forget about getting the TOT access fees back from them. You will have to argue that bill with TOT, but I doubt it will do you any good.

You just have to accept this as a cost of living with an antiquated telephone network in Thailand. Now you know. Don't ever try and use any discount calling service from your landline. Every provider will have the same problem.

I have mentioned this on here before , my son is an agent for a company that has a good value for money phone system , there are 60 countries in the system at this time of which Thailand has recently become one , for a flat rate of $30.00 a month you can call for as long as you like , talk all day if you wish . Should the recieving person have a similar phone , you get free vidio connection also on a 10 inch(?) screen , you need an internet hook-up , should you be interested just pm me for his contact details , there are no other phone companies to pay .

<snip>

The simple fact is, there is no reliable way to use any of the inexpensive calling services from an upcountry land line. You can't use callback, because with an analog phone the system won't be able to reliably detect a hangup.

<snip>

I use callback on a landline with ZayHi.

• 1 month later...

That is why I use the cards - CAT Card or the others, no registration fees no hidden costs

Is that from a mobile in Thailand?

My mrs is in Thailand at the moment and I'm looking for a cheap way for her to call me in Saudi if ever she needs to call.

if your lady has access to a computer with a decent connection, open a skype account for her and add say 10 euros of charge to it. she can then call your saudi mobile or land line from the computer for very little and if you can get online you can chat free computer to computer with video.

i work in saudi too and use it all the time, both ways.

That is why I use the cards - CAT Card or the others, no registration fees no hidden costs

My mrs is in Thailand at the moment and I'm looking for a cheap way for her to call me in Saudi if ever she needs to call.

if your lady has access to a computer with a decent connection, open a skype account for her and add say 10 euros of charge to it. she can then call your saudi mobile or land line from the computer for very little and if you can get online you can chat free computer to computer with video.

Thanks joe but when she's in the boonies, she ain't got no computer. Over here, I use a card with an access number to call her and it works fine most of the time but wondered if there was something similar in Thailand so that she can call me when she wants from her mobile. I believe if you want to call the UK you put a 9 in front of the 44 for a cheaper rate, so 00944-------. Does anyone know if there is something similar to that for Saudi?

Where in Saudi are you?

My recommendation for the moment is ThookDee. I used to use DeeDial but their service quality has become abominable lately. I stopped when it was quite clear I was being overcharged. I don't think they realize there are supposed to be 60 seconds in a minute.

Just go buy a True Money cash card at any 7-11 and apply it to your ThookDee account. Current rate to Saudi Arabia is 8 baht per minute. Much better than the 36 baht you get by direct dial. Website sucks. (www.thookdee.com), but their call center (1738) is fine for a Thai speaker.

Edited by gregb

Thanks joe but when she's in the boonies, she ain't got no computer. Over here, I use a card with an access number to call her and it works fine most of the time but wondered if there was something similar in Thailand so that she can call me when she wants from her mobile. I believe if you want to call the UK you put a 9 in front of the 44 for a cheaper rate, so 00944-------. Does anyone know if there is something similar to that for Saudi?

Where in Saudi are you?

didn't realise that the 009 option was only for the uk - are you sure about that?

005 is another number that i seem to remember gives cheaper rates for international calls - might be worth checking??

not sure cos when my missus wants to speak to me she just buzzes my phone with one ring and i call back.

My recommendation for the moment is ThookDee. I used to use DeeDial but their service quality has become abominable lately. I stopped when it was quite clear I was being overcharged. I don't think they realize there are supposed to be 60 seconds in a minute.

Just go buy a True Money cash card at any 7-11 and apply it to your ThookDee account. Current rate to Saudi Arabia is 8 baht per minute. Much better than the 36 baht you get by direct dial. Website sucks. (www.thookdee.com), but their call center (1738) is fine for a Thai speaker.

Cheers greg, I'll get her to look into ThookDee :jap:

I believe if you want to call the UK you put a 9 in front of the 44 for a cheaper rate, so 00944-------. Does anyone know if there is something similar to that for Saudi?

didn't realise that the 009 option was only for the uk - are you sure about that?

No, not 100% on the 009 just being for the UK. That just happens to be the one that some of my mates use for the UK. Wasn't sure if there was another one for different countries.

If you use TOT's 008 prefix you can call uk for 7 baht per minute,

similar rate for most of europe.

Plus VAT at 7 pc ?

I use 001 809 on my TOT land connection which is billed by CAT at 6 baht per min plus 7 pc VAT

The Zay hi card I tried using may have been cheap to the UK, but after adding the 4 baht a minute handphone connection charge and the charge for connections that failed, there was no real saving on the CAT price.

If you use TOT's 008 prefix you can call uk for 7 baht per minute,

similar rate for most of europe.

Plus VAT at 7 pc ?

I use 001 809 on my TOT land connection which is billed by CAT at 6 baht per min plus 7 pc VAT

The Zay hi card I tried using may have been cheap to the UK, but after adding the 4 baht a minute handphone connection charge and the charge for connections that failed, there was no real saving on the CAT price.

I use the 00500 prefix from AIS , advertised at 4 baht per minute and that's all I paid..only tried to Canada but has UK on the list and about a dozen others. This info was on the back of a prepay card..don't know where you'd get more info...maybe just call AIS??

In a word all you need is skype. I have a London phone number that I pay a small fee yearly to have from skype so that my family have a local number to call me on. I pay 7.99 a month and can call 40 countries unlimited including mobiles to most of them. I then have an internet sim in my phone with unlimited data so that skype runs 24/7, so that when I'm not at my computer calls go to my mobile as skype is installed on both.

The beauty of this system is that my bill is no more than the monthly subscription from skype and dtac which totals around 12 quid, I can call pretty much any country I want for as long as I want whilst on the move, and I'm always contactable by my family on a number that is not expensive for them.

I know there's numbers you can call from the uk to have 1p a min etc and cards available here in Thailand so that you can call, but nothing gives you the freedom like the system I have in place, and am really stumped as to why people even bother doing it any other way.

In a word all you need is skype. I have a London phone number that I pay a small fee yearly to have from skype so that my family have a local number to call me on. I pay 7.99 a month and can call 40 countries unlimited including mobiles to most of them. I then have an internet sim in my phone with unlimited data so that skype runs 24/7, so that when I'm not at my computer calls go to my mobile as skype is installed on both.

The beauty of this system is that my bill is no more than the monthly subscription from skype and dtac which totals around 12 quid, I can call pretty much any country I want for as long as I want whilst on the move, and I'm always contactable by my family on a number that is not expensive for them.

I know there's numbers you can call from the uk to have 1p a min etc and cards available here in Thailand so that you can call, but nothing gives you the freedom like the system I have in place, and am really stumped as to why people even bother doing it any other way.

Fully agree Mr Spike. I have the same system and it is a great deal because you don't have to worry about how long the calls will last. I travel a lot and I can call Thailand and the UK from most Countries to a mobile or land line at the rate that you mentioned above.

Rick

• 3 weeks later...

If I am in Thailand already and the party I want to call is now in Sierra Leone, how do I set this up? What kind of sim do I need in my Thai mobile in order to run Skype on it (Sorry I am totally clueless!)? I have not assessed yet whether blackberry will work in Sierra Leone. If it does, I will more than likely upgrade my Nokia to a Blackberry in order to use bbm.