I Am In An Accommodaton Scam

I moved into an apartment last week and paid 14,000 baht in cash for 1 month accommodation.

I went to sleep the first night to discover two very big problems.

1. There is factory/workshop directly outside my room in the back soi where they start work at 4:45am. Loud banging, hammering and sawing starts at 4am and doesn't stop until the evening

2. There is a pump in my room that services the whole building and operates anytime someone uses water like having a shower or flushing the toilet. It is extremely loud like the sound of a horn going off.

I informed them immediately that I couldn't stay there and wanted to leave immediately and just pay for the 1 night.

They said they had another room available at the end of the week that was upstairs but I couldn't see it until the end of the week.The second day I was here the microwave in my room stopped working. I told the Thai lady and she swapped it with one in another room. When I turned that one on it wasn't working either. I told them it wasn't working either. Then the manager came to my room and said that I have to pay for 'breaking' 2 microwaves. I was shocked as I certainly didn't misuse the microwave in any way and the second one was already broken. There is also a Thai housekeeper that resides in the adjacent room who makes the living conditions here very bad. She crushes bottles/cans outside my room, runs laundry and make other excessive noises at 6am the morning. She sits in the foyer watching TV all day and so you have to pass by here every time you come or go out. She is a really rude, nasty old lady. Every day she bangs at my door and shouts at me in Thai when I obviously can't speak the language.

They have agreed to refund me 8500 baht for 1 week accommodation but I can't afford to pay 5,500 baht for 1 week. I offered up to 4000 baht for 1 week although I think that's way too much considering the circumstances. They shouldn't try to rent out an apartment with a pump in it and next to a factory (or at least inform the tenant prior to moving in). I am in an extremely high state of distress. I want to get out of this place as soon as possible but I need my money back so I can pay for other accommodation.

Seems like decent people. Be happy they offered you money back, imagine how you would feel if they did not pay you back at all. Take the money and find something else.

Be sure to check the room first next time.

Edited by Khun Jean

The old lady is rude because she bangs on your door and speaks Thai?

Helllllooooooooo! Your in Thailand, that's normal over here.

If you do not speak Thai, how do you know she is being rude?

Agree 100% . Sorry but it isn't a scam . You are not happy with your room and she agreed to partly repay you . Move on and find a better room . For the price you paid , there are plenty of decend rooms to find , a bit depending on area of Thailand you are in ( do NOT look on the internet , but ask around ) . .

I feel its a scam because they are trying to make me pay for items I didn't break and the apartment shouldnt be rented out with a pump in it.

I feel the Thai housekeeper is rude because she bangs on my door and shouts at me for no apparet reason.

I moved into an apartment last week and paid 14,000 baht in cash for 1 month accommodation.

1. There is factory/workshop directly outside my room in the back soi where they start work at 4:45am. Loud banging, hammering and sawing starts at 4am and doesn't stop until the evening

2. There is a pump in my room that services the whole building and operates anytime someone uses water like having a shower or flushing the toilet. It is extremely loud like the sound of a horn going off.

I informed them immediately that I couldn't stay there and wanted to leave immediately and just pay for the 1 night.

They said they had another room available at the end of the week that was upstairs but I couldn't see it until the end of the week.The second day I was here the microwave in my room stopped working. I told the Thai lady and she swapped it with one in another room. When I turned that one on it wasn't working either. I told them it wasn't working either. Then the manager came to my room and said that I have to pay for 'breaking' 2 microwaves. I was shocked as I certainly didn't misuse the microwave in any way and the second one was already broken. There is also a Thai housekeeper that resides in the adjacent room who makes the living conditions here very bad. She crushes bottles/cans outside my room, runs laundry and make other excessive noises at 6am the morning. She sits in the foyer watching TV all day and so you have to pass by here every time you come or go out. She is a really rude, nasty old lady. Every day she bangs at my door and shouts at me in Thai when I obviously can't speak the language.

They have agreed to refund me 8500 baht for 1 week accommodation but I can't afford to pay 5,500 baht for 1 week. I offered up to 4000 baht for 1 week although I think that's way too much considering the circumstances. They shouldn't try to rent out an apartment with a pump in it and next to a factory (or at least inform the tenant prior to moving in). I am in an extremely high state of distress. I want to get out of this place as soon as possible but I need my money back so I can pay for other accommodation.

..give the Tourist Police a call, 1155 nationwide free call.

Due diligence???, youve got off light.................for Thailand

in a way it is a scam as they have put the customer in what is basically an old utility or old maids room and charged foreigners 14k a month for the priveledge, now you can argue this is thailand or you can argue that they somehow made the room liveable or paid back some of the deposit, but 14k for an old utility room in the service quarters of the builing is a scam