Russia Warns Against US Meddling In Thailand-Bout Case

webfact

Russia warns against US meddling in Thailand-Bout case

MOSCOW, October 6, 2010 (AFP) - Russia said it was counting on the Thai judiciary's independence to handle alleged arms dealer Viktor Bout's US extradition objectively, and warned Washington against meddling in the case.

Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov also denied any "trade-off" between Washington and Moscow on the Russian national, the so-called "Merchant of Death", whom the United States wants extradited on terrorism charges.

"We have no intention of interfering in the affairs of (Thai) justice and we are counting on the fact that others will not try to influence it," Russian news agencies late Tuesday quoted Lavrov as saying.

Thailand's Criminal Court, citing insufficient evidence, Tuesday dismissed proceedings surrounding new charges against Bout for alleged money-laundering and fraud. That removed a major obstacle to his US extradition.

Welcoming the ruling, US State Department spokesman Philip Crowley said: "We look forward to having Viktor Bout in a prison near us very soon."

Lavrov said he hoped that US messages to Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, who could have a final say on whether to send him to the United States, would not influence Bout's fate.

He also rejected any deal between Russia and the United States on Bout, who is said to have inspired the Hollywood film "Lord of War" starring Nicolas Cage.

"The idea that Russia and the United States have reached some sort of agreement is outside the pale of the system of justice," he said.

Bout, a 43-year-old former Soviet air force pilot, was arrested in 2008 after a sting operation in Bangkok involving undercover US agents posing as rebels from Colombia's FARC rebels, considered a terrorist group by Washington.

He has repeatedly denied suggestions that he was a former KGB agent and maintains that he ran a legitimate air cargo business.

He faces a maximum sentence of life in prison if convicted in the United States on charges including conspiracy to kill US nationals and providing material support or resources to a foreign terrorist organisation.

The case has put Thailand in a difficult diplomatic spot between key ally the United States and Russia, which has strongly opposed extradition.

A furious Moscow previously said the extradition attempt was politically motivated and vowed "to do everything necessary" to bring Bout home, sparking speculation that Bout may have knowledge of sensitive information.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-10-06

I think america is a bit two faced in its attitude to bout , it seems ok for them to sell arms all over the world ( and some of those arms ending up being used against american service men / civillians would the people who sold them be had for conspricacy ) :whistling: .

The harder Russia tries to protect Bout, the more guilty he seems to me. What are they trying to hide, it isn't an apparent spy, yet they come out strongly in one individual's defence, it would be interesting to see if they put as much effort into the incarceration of an ordinary Russian mafi guy in Pattaya, say.

At the top of the article Moscow says "We have no intention of interfering in the affairs of (Thai) justice and we are counting on the fact that others will not try to influence it"

At the bottom is reads "A furious Moscow previously said the extradition attempt was politically motivated and vowed "to do everything necessary" to bring Bout home, sparking speculation that Bout may have knowledge of sensitive information."

Doesn't seem consistent to me.

I suspect that Bout is their top salesman - 100 % club every year. Wouldn't you want to keep your top salesman?

I think america is a bit two faced in its attitude to bout , it seems ok for them to sell arms all over the world ( and some of those arms ending up being used against american service men / civillians would the people who sold them be had for conspricacy ) :whistling: .

A bit two faced?

That's a bit of an understatement..

Thai PM: Russia 'unsatisfied' over Viktor Bout case

BRUSSELS, Oct 6 - Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on Wednesday conceded Russia was unsatisfied with the Thai court's ruling to drop money laundering and fraud charges against alleged Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout, while pledging his government will do its best to minimise the impact on international relations.

The Thai premier made the remarks as he was attending the Asia-Europe Meeting in Brussels between October 3-8 and met Russian foreign minister Sergei Lavrov on the sidelines.

Mr Abhisit said he has informed the Russian foreign minister of the Thai court's decision to drop money laundering and fraud charges against Mr Bout on grounds of insufficient evidence and that the Russian will be free within three days.

"I have informed [the Russian foreign minister] about Thai law and criminal procedures," said Mr Abhisit. "Russia is not satisfied with what has happened, but not at Thailand, as it understands that Thailand made its decision in accordance with Thai law and bearing in mind international relations."

The next step, the Thai premier said, he has to wait and see whether or not the United States will appeal the ruling and whether the procedure will last longer than November 20, the deadline for Mr Bout's extradition to the US under the court ruling on the first case of arms trading.

Mr Abhisit said if the case is not finalised, the court approval is needed to extend the extradition deadline beyond three months.

"The government will do it best to minimise its impact on international relations," Mr Abhisit assured. "When it's time that the executive power must make a decision, the case will be brought up in the Cabinet for a final decision, not on behalf of the Thai prime minister."

"I and my government are duty-bound to be responsible for the case. If I can choose, no one wants to be in this situation," said the premier.

Mr Abhisit said he will have chance to meet both the US and Russian leaders at international forums, such as the summit of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) in Vietnam, the meeting Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) in Japan and the G-20 Summit in South Korea at the year end.

The Thai prime minister said he hoped to have an opportunity to talk and create better understanding with leaders of the two countries.

Meanwhile, the Russian foreign minister warned Washington against meddling with Mr Bout's case and said that Russia is counting on the Thai judiciary's independence in the case.

"We have no intention of interfering in the affairs of (Thai) justice and we are counting on the fact that others will not try to influence it," the Agence France Presse (AFP) news agency quoted Mr Lavrov as telling Russian news agencies.

"The idea that Russia and the United States have reached some sort of agreement is outside the pale of the system of justice."

The Thai Criminal Court on Monday dropped a Thai prosecutor's request to withdraw the second charges on money laundering and wire fraud against Russian businessman described as elusive by some and dubbed "The Merchant of Death".

The judges explained since Thai extradition law did not stipulate anything about dropping legal procedures, therefore the court must apply the Criminal Procedure Code, Article 35. Under the law, a defendant has the right to object to the charges against him being dropped, which Mr Bout decided to do to thwart any attempt to extradite him to the US.

The Court of Appeals ruled on August 20 to extradite Mr Bout, arrested and detained in Bangkok since March 2008, to the US to face charges of conspiracy to kill Americans, conspiracy to kill officials and employees of the United States government, conspiracy to acquire and use anti-aircraft missiles and conspiracy to provide material support or resources to a foreign terrorist organisation.

The ruling of the Thai Court of Appeals to extradite Mr Bout overturned a lower court ruling in August 2009 that rejected a US request that Mr Bout face trial there.

The process to extradite Mr Bout was stalled because after the lower court rejected the request, Washington filed a second set of charges to ensure he would not set free. The US has since tried to drop those charges, but the Bangkok Criminal Court said Monday the legal proceedings must proceed.

The court on Tuesday however dropped the second charges against Mr Bout due to a lack of evidence and the defendant must be released within 72 hours unless the prosecutors wanted to appeal-- which could be done within 30 days.

The final decision on whether to send him to the US was up to Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva who said earlier that his government was awaiting a court decision on Mr Bout’s second case before making any final decision on his extradition to the US which asked Thailand to facilitate the transfer. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-10-06

A bit two faced?

All countries are two faced and all of that makes no difference in the Bout case. People always want to bash the big power, haven't you heard, it's China now ...

LOLO!!! You mean to tell us that the US is the only country that sells military hardware??? I guess all those French Mirage jets that are part of variuous other countries' arsenals are just US jets in disguise. Then of course there are the Chinese providing all sorts of military hardware to all kinds of questionable states, such as Burma. Military weaponry is a fact of life, unfortunately, and your incessant US bashing just shows an unquestionable anti-US bigotry on your part. How enlightened.

A bit two faced?

All countries are two faced and all of that makes no difference in the Bout case. People always want to bash the big power, haven't you heard, it's China now ...

More Holier Than Thou Hubris from JingThing. ANY country that stood the chance to capture someone of Bout's stature would be all over the opportunity. The fact of the matter is there is a strong likelihood that Bout knows a lot more than selling bombs to terrorists. Otherwise, why would the Russkies give such a large Rat's Rear End about him??? Gotta love Bout though, I'm sure his claims of running a "legitimate" air cargo business is not all fiction. He's just "forgetting" about the other cargo that found it's way onto his planes...

US meddling? I think it's a case of Russia meddling. The US and Thai authorities caught Bout in a sting trying to do an arms deal. Why is Abhisit unsatisfied? His police were in on the sting - they were doing REAL police work. Is he unsatisfied that the police were doing real work? Does he think that doing a classical Thai hide your head in the sand that the problem is just going to go away? These arn't dirty Thai politicians he's dealing with...........

I can say I am more or less neutral, no fan of USA and not of Russia.

Bout is jailed over 2 years it can't be a clear legal cas, I believe the main reason is deep political and incapacity of the USA.

Why we have always knee down and accept what USA want and dictate us as to a child what we have to do? Are we such infantile?

I guess Americans themselfs are and ignorant too.

Why USA wait catch him via Thailand and not in an other country? just because they know Thailand is USA friendly.

We have the new law if liquid transport by airplane, who dictated us this? If we look back at the Yugoslavian war, there was no help by USA in the first period only USA enjoyed to distroy Serbia with nonsense, distoryed mostly industral plants and provoked disasters in the nature.

Only because he is the "big brother" and we must knee down?

There are many other " ? " as the true reason distroy Irak, especial his history and monuments, it wasn't needed but war bring money to USA.!

I want say nothing against Thailand and her justice but it seem nobody look sincere for a juridical fair decision, I feel rather as a snake which want find out a clever way with the target help USA and that it appear as "legal and well clarified by the justice.

Who pay back Bout for sitting in the "Bangkok Hilton" more 2 years, his psychical and negative health happenings, in case on his extradition to the US was illegal in front of true justice?

It have a sour taste on the tongue play handy man for the USA.

Bout is jailed over 2 years it can't be a clear legal cas, I believe the main reason is deep political and incapacity of the USA.

Why we have always knee down and accept what USA want and dictate us as to a child what we have to do? Are we such infantile?

Why USA wait catch him via Thailand and not in an other country? just because they know Thailand is USA friendly.

We have the new law if liquid transport by airplane, who dictated us this? If we look back at the Yugoslavian war, there was no help by USA in the first period only USA enjoyed to distroy Serbia with nonsense, distoryed mostly industral plants and provoked disasters in the nature.

There are many other " ? " as the true reason distroy Irak, especial his history and monuments, it wasn't needed but war bring money to USA.!

I want say nothing against Thailand and her justice but it seem nobody look sincere for a juridical fair decision, I feel rather as a snake which want find out a clever way with the target help USA and that it appear as "legal and well clarified by the justice.

Who pay back Bout for sitting in the "Bangkok Hilton" more 2 years, his psychical and negative health happenings, in case on his extradition to the US was illegal in front of true justice?

Actually "they" are not "knee down" to big brother USA. They are doing what is expected of them for the MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of dollars they recieve each year. But if "they" don't want to "knee down", then don't cash the checks. If "they" don't cash the checks from the USA, then the USA has no reasons to expect them to follow their wishes.

I was just now thinking that same thing as I absorbed this drama. Moreover, they are all "Merchants of Death", are they not? How splendidly hypocritical of them all to focus on one individual, who is no doubt a respected peer among the "Merchant of Death" nations who are hungrily involved here. It almost reminds me of cannibalism, in a figurative sense.

And isn't it just so Thai, in that Thailand doesn't want to upset anyone with the muscle to squeeze their banks, so Thailand is going to "tone down the judicial process", but just to a point so that the US and Russia don't get too upset. The US wants him to cut a deal, and Russia wants him to do whatever it is they want to do. Isn't it wonderful; this large scale portrayal of how governments and money can rise above the laws that hold us accountable, and yet allow them to do what they please?

It makes me wonder about those two British men, in jail on murder charges of the Dane. Perhaps if they were "Merchants of Death", then they, too, would have their case "toned down a bit". Ah yes; every family of murderers protects their own, don't they; and to hel_l with a law that we are held accountable to.

Governments protect their representatives, assets and arms dealers. Religions protect their priests, rabbis, ministers and clergyment. And those of us unfortunate to not be in the club have to deal with it on our own, or try to select a decent attorney from a far from desireable pack of deal makers and heart breakers.

Edited by cup-O-coffee

US meddling? I think it's a case of Russia meddling. The US and Thai authorities caught Bout in a sting trying to do an arms deal. Why is Abhisit unsatisfied? His police were in on the sting - they were doing REAL police work. Is he unsatisfied that the police were doing real work? Does he think that doing a classical Thai hide your head in the sand that the problem is just going to go away? These arn't dirty Thai politicians he's dealing with...........

It's just international politics. Abhisit is probably unsatisfied because he's getting prompted to do things from all sides to weigh the decision in one direction. This guy must be real important for Russia to kick up such a fuss. If this was some normal mafia guy they probably wouldn't care.

Actually "they" are not "knee down" to big brother USA. They are doing what is expected of them for the MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of dollars they recieve each year. But if "they" don't want to "knee down", then don't cash the checks. If "they" don't cash the checks from the USA, then the USA has no reasons to expect them to follow their wishes.

I like your good and clever answer. I not know all Thai-USA background rather more bullshit what USA had done in the past!

... to face charges of conspiracy to kill Americans, conspiracy to kill officials and employees of the United States government, conspiracy to acquire and use anti-aircraft missiles and conspiracy to provide material support or resources to a foreign terrorist organisation.

Did anyone catch him with a rocket launcher in his hands and ready to shot down a plane full of Americans, officials and employees of the United States government? I don't think so! i am not necessarely protecting Bout (I will keep my opinion my myself), but I always found it laughable how US courts come up with all kinds of weird charges. Also as some pepole already mentioned in previous Bout topic, I hate the fact that the US is trying to police a whole world. Again i am not saying Bout should or should not face charges, but why US has to be involved in that?

Oh, I have a proposal. Lets extradit Bush to Russia for all the war crimes that happened in Iraq. Lets extradit all the US military personal back to Iraq for raping woman and torturing the neutral population during the so-called war.

Yeah but the Chinese don't pretend to be upstanding members of intelnational community, by "fighting terrorism and spreading democracy" which in itself is an act of terrorism, the U.S. seem to think they set the perfect example of how a country should behave.

LOLO!!! You mean to tell us that the US is the only country that sells military hardware??? I guess all those French Mirage jets that are part of variuous other countries' arsenals are just US jets in disguise. Then of course there are the Chinese providing all sorts of military hardware to all kinds of questionable states, such as Burma. Military weaponry is a fact of life, unfortunately, and your incessant US bashing just shows an unquestionable anti-US bigotry on your part. How enlightened.

... to face charges of conspiracy to kill Americans, conspiracy to kill officials and employees of the United States government, conspiracy to acquire and use anti-aircraft missiles and conspiracy to provide material support or resources to a foreign terrorist organisation.

Did anyone catch him with a rocket launcher in his hands and ready to shot down a plane full of Americans, officials and employees of the United States government? I don't think so! i am not necessarely protecting Bout (I will keep my opinion my myself), but I always found it laughable how US courts come up with all kinds of weird charges. Also as some pepole already mentioned in previous Bout topic, I hate the fact that the US is trying to police a whole world. Again i am not saying Bout should or should not face charges, but why US has to be involved in that?

Oh, I have a proposal. Lets extradit Bush to Russia for all the war crimes that happened in Iraq. Lets extradit all the US military personal back to Iraq for raping woman and torturing the neutral population during the so-called war.

:rolleyes: I am with you, but we are in a poor situation we can't say all the truth :angry:

Confusion reigns:

Thai court drops charges against Russian citizen, BUT Russia is not happy. Do they want him to face extra charges?

US brought secondary charges to ensure extradition, extradition granted on primary charge, so secondary charges asked to be dropped. Request denied. BUT case dropped for lack of evidence(US did not present) BUT PM thinks US may appeal. Why appeal when you got your result?

Court case is USA v V.Bout BUT Russia says the plaintiff should not interfere BUT promised to do everything necessary to stop extradition. <deleted>?

At the top of the article Moscow says "We have no intention of interfering in the affairs of (Thai) justice and we are counting on the fact that others will not try to influence it"

At the bottom is reads "A furious Moscow previously said the extradition attempt was politically motivated and vowed "to do everything necessary" to bring Bout home, sparking speculation that Bout may have knowledge of sensitive information."

Doesn't seem consistent to me.

I suspect that Bout is their top salesman - 100 % club every year. Wouldn't you want to keep your top salesman?

Can add to the list that Russia sold 221,038,006,210.00 Baht worth of arms last year to over 70 countries.

In 2009, Russia’s defense export giant Rosoboronexport sold arms in the amount of $7.4 billion, the company’s director Anatoly Isaikin told RIA Novosti news agency.

http://english.pravda.ru/russia/economics/29-01-2010/111928-russian_arms-0/

Edited by Buchholz

Can add to the list that Russia sold 221,038,006,210.00 Baht worth of arms last year to over 70 countries.

In 2009, Russia’s defense export giant Rosoboronexport sold arms in the amount of $7.4 billion, the company’s director Anatoly Isaikin told RIA Novosti news agency.

http://english.pravd...russian_arms-0/

Just to be fair, post here now many $xxx worth of arms US sold last year? Oh, can't find the numbers, cause they good country and they "don't do it", right?

At least Russia don't lie about the obvious.:whistling:

In 2009, Russia's defense export giant Rosoboronexport sold arms in the amount of $7.4 billion, the company's director Anatoly Isaikin told RIA Novosti news agency.

http://english.pravd...russian_arms-0/

Just to be fair, post here now many $xxx worth of arms US sold last year? Oh, can't find the numbers, cause they good country and they "don't do it", right?

At least Russia don't lie about the obvious.:whistling:

To Buchholz - Your statement would be better as "Russia ADMITTED selling......................"

To Shurup - this is the basis of Russia's concern. It seems likely that have been selling indiscriminately, via Bout, to anybody with enough cash - not something that they would like to be brought to light.

To Bout apologists/defenders - He thought he was selling S-A missiles to FARC. What if he actually was dealing with FARC, and they had agreed to sell some on to muslim separatists to use in BKK? fancy seeing a 747 crash into Soi Cowboy?

The dam_n Russians are so afraid that the truth will come out that Bout is nothing but an agent for Russia Arms Deals. Better the dam_n Russians leave Thailand (Pattaya) half the problem in Pattaya would be gone.

Edited by Nowhereman60

The dam_n Russians are so afraid that the truth will come out that Bout is nothing but an agent for Russia Arms Deals. Best yet let the dam_n Russians leave Thailand (Pattaya) have the problem in Pattaya would be gone.

There is no connection between Bout and Russian tourism levels in Pattaya. Dream on ...

If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

USA is now like "Great Britian"used to be, trying to rule the world by force ,cheating and lying it's way through life, it works for a while untill the other countrys wake up.

I still don't get everybody's support for this guy. Why get all worked up over a guy who for sure has provided weapons to thousands of people that have been responsible for the deaths of thousands of others. And was caught trying to sell weapons to the FARC to shoot down planes! Crazy!!! :blink:

He is not going to jail, but will be held until his trial. The normal course of action in probably every poster's home country on this thread?

If you did your research, you would find out the Belgian's started pursuing him first for money laundering. Here is a brief quote from Wikipedia. For sure the Russian's don't want him in a US jail...he knows a lot...

Soviet military service

There is confusion regarding Bout's military career, although it is clear he served in the Soviet Union's armed forces. Having graduated from the Military Institute of Foreign Languages,[13][17] he is said to be fluent in six languages.[18] Bout's personal website states that he served in the army of the Soviet Union as a translator, holding the rank of Lieutenant.[1] Other sources state he rose to the rank of major in the GRU, an arm of the Soviet armed services that combined intelligence agents and special forces,[2] that he was an officer in the Soviet air force,[3] or that he was KGB.[10]

[edit]Intelligence ties

It is thought Bout may have been of help to Russia's Intelligence agency.[8] The language institute Bout attended has been linked to the GRU, an intelligence agency.[14][19] Bout is thought to have worked alongside GRU-affiliated Igor Sechin in Africa in the 1980s.[20] And according to a 2002 United Nations report Bout's father-in-law Zuiguin, "at one point held a high position in the KGB, perhaps even as high as a deputy chairman."[14]

If his incarceration prevents even one more death from happening...he should be put away. How can you argue with that? For sure we can debate arms trafficking. It's horrible, but every major country is involved. Even yours.... :(

Perhaps the US wants Bout out of the picture so they can move in on his arms selling territory.

This is as likely as you getting an invitation to join MENSA

Already done that but the joining fee was ridiculous for getting nothing but bragging rights that noone but a narcissist would care about.

I personally don't think it has anything to do with intelligence anyway.

Edited by Wallaby