Personal Driver

Kyushinsha

Greetings,

I've been living in Bangkok a year now, and been doing the bus-boat-taxi thing to work for a while. I want to move out of the city a bit, and wondered how much it would be for a personal driver, say for 5 days a week? I don't have a car, so I'd need the driver to also have one as well.

Does anyone have any personal experience with this?

thanks,

Kyu Shin

I would guess the only place where you would get a Driver plus car would be at the Car Hire places like Hertz etc..

Although an finding an individual to work as your Driver is not too difficult, there is very little chance that someone looking for a job as a Driver would have his own Car.

To give you an idea of costs, I live in Bangkok and pay my Driver Baht 7,000.- for a 5 day week 8.00 am – 5.00 pm, with overtime he averages around Baht 10,000.- per month – but I supply the car and petrol.

Patrick

To give you an idea of costs, I live in Bangkok and pay my Driver Baht 7,000.- for a 5 day week 8.00 am – 5.00 pm, with overtime he averages around Baht 10,000.- per month – but I supply the car and petrol.

Yes, that's about the going rate. We pay our drivers about B12,000 per month, but that's for a six day week with no overtime regardless of what their actual working hours might be.

it would be very rare to find anyone looking for a job as a driver who owns a car, but you might try one of the smaller or perhaps less up-market hotels. Sometimes drivers with cars work those hotels as 'hotel drivers' and would be willing to hire out to an individual on a full-time basis. For example, I hired a driver and car for several months once by grabbing a guy who generally worked the Ambassador, but that was years ago.

Edited by OldAsiaHand