New A1 English Test For Spouses And Partners

We are now able to give details of, probably, the first, and, maybe, the only, approved test centres in Thailand at this time for the new A1 English test for spouses and partners. The new test requirement will be in place from 29th November 2010.

English Test Centre have been appointed as official testers by EMD (English Management Direct (EMD UK Ltd), one of the UKBA approved UK schools for testing. English Test Centre will operate two testing centres in Thailand, one in Bangkok and one in Pattaya.

The cost of the English test will be between 5,000 Baht and 6,500 baht. This is an extract from ETC's press release of today :

"The cost of the A1 test has not yet been finalised but is likely to be in the region of 5,000 to 6,500 Baht. "

In addition, English Test Centre will be offering Pre-test days, when prospective applicants can attend a seminar to see if their level of English is sufficient to take the required A1 test. This is another extract from the ETC press release:

"English Test Centre are also conducting half day Pre-test seminars to potential candidates in order that they can gain an understanding of the test requirements and, more particularly, for the candidates to assess whether they are ready for the test or perhaps require further English lessons. "

The cost of the A1 Pre-test will be 1,000 baht.

For further information, or to set up a Pre-test date, you can contact our office for details of the test centre email, address and telephone number. Please see our profile or website for our contact details. Alternatively, you can PM me.

Edited by VisasPlus

Or you could just sit the TOEIC test for 1,200 Baht

Do know where that can be done and does that meet the CEFR A1 requirements? It's certainly a lot cheaper than the 5,900 Baht the British Council charge for IELTS.

Looking for the test centre details for you - need to ask my colleague which centre we normally use at that price when she's back in the office.

CEFR A1 is equivalent to the following TOEIC results:

Listening & Reading - 120

Speaking & Writing - 80

[Applicants must have passed the listening and speaking elements of this test]

Edited by bangkockney

Any test centre will need to be approved by the UK/BA .

It is the testing system itself which is under scrutiny, not the location it is taken.

The UKBA has no plans to inspect and licence every single testing centre around the world, it is not their job to do so.

In other words, any test centre listed by the awarding body will be valid (as common sense suggests).

Edited by bangkockney

Dont forget This is Thailand , money makes most things easy, Money = Pass.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, Thongkorn. Are you saying that the English Test Centre may not be genuine, and that payment will get a pass in the test ?

Whilst it is true that English languages tests and centres have been abused all over the world - there have been cases reported in the UK of colleges sitting naturalisation tests for students, producing fake attendance and level progression certificates, fake IELTS scores etc - serious steps have been taken to prevent this.

IELTS will be making test results tied to biometric data in the near future. Other testing providers will have to follow suit to remain competitive.

Besides, even if you do have a forged proof of English level, the Embassy can still call or interview you and if discovered, you face a 10 year ban. Since CEFR A1 is complete beginner, there really is no need to flash the cash - it's simply not worth it at all.

Whilst it is true that English languages tests and centres have been abused all over the world - there have been cases reported in the UK of colleges sitting naturalisation tests for students, producing fake attendance and level progression certificates, fake IELTS scores etc - serious steps have been taken to prevent this.

IELTS will be making test results tied to biometric data in the near future. Other testing providers will have to follow suit to remain competitive.

Besides, even if you do have a forged proof of English level, the Embassy can still call or interview you and if discovered, you face a 10 year ban. Since CEFR A1 is complete beginner, there really is no need to flash the cash - it's simply not worth it at all.

I'm interested in this poiint that you made -

" IELTS will be making test results tied to biometric data in the near future. Other testing providers will have to follow suit to remain competitive. "

How exactly do they intend to do that ? Use biometric data, I mean. Biometrics usually means fingerprints, iris scans, facial recognition , etc. What biometric checking system will IELTS use, and how will it be operated ?

I cannot believe that with the deadline for introduction of this test drawing closer there is so much confusion as to what is acceptable and what is not. The government should have had all this worked out long before they gave a date for implementation.

I broadly support the idea that applicants for non-tourist visas should show a certain standard of English skills but this seems to have been handled with a scary level of incompetence. Thank goodness my wife is safely settled here already!

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, Thongkorn. Are you saying that the English Test Centre may not be genuine, and that payment will get a pass in the test ?

Those like Thongorn who think they can walk into a test centre, hand over the readies and walk out with a certificate having not spoken a word of English may be in for a disappointment. The process operated by EMD requires a voice-recorded test to be submitted to the UK, where it is marked and the certificate awarded. A little more effort to defraud the system will be required, and could lead to grief for all concerned - imagine having by hook or by crook acquired a certificate and subsequently a spouse visa. Then an audit of the test centre turns up some irregularities. Somewhere in Blighty, Mr X and his beloved are sitting down to breakfast when there's a knock on the door. They are both carted off to a police station, he to face some uncomfortable questions about his role as a sponsor, she to decide whether she wants a window or an aisle seat and extra peanuts with her gin and tonic......

Those like Thongorn who think they can walk into a test centre, hand over the readies and walk out with a certificate having not spoken a word of English may be in for a disappointment. The process operated by EMD requires a voice-recorded test to be submitted to the UK, where it is marked and the certificate awarded. A little more effort to defraud the system will be required, and could lead to grief for all concerned - imagine having by hook or by crook acquired a certificate and subsequently a spouse visa. Then an audit of the test centre turns up some irregularities. Somewhere in Blighty, Mr X and his beloved are sitting down to breakfast when there's a knock on the door. They are both carted off to a police station, he to face some uncomfortable questions about his role as a sponsor, she to decide whether she wants a window or an aisle seat and extra peanuts with her gin and tonic......

I suspect that the spouse won't actually make it that far. You can bet that the spouse will be interviewed on arrival by an immigration officer. If the IO has any reason to doubt that the visa holder understands or speaks English to the level shown on the test certificate, then the result will be a refusal of leave to enter on the grounds that false representations were employed to obtain the visa. It will turn out to be an expensive exercise on the part of the visa holder or sponsor.

I suspect that the spouse won't actually make it that far. You can bet that the spouse will be interviewed on arrival by an immigration officer. If the IO has any reason to doubt that the visa holder understands or speaks English to the level shown on the test certificate, then the result will be a refusal of leave to enter on the grounds that false representations were employed to obtain the visa. It will turn out to be an expensive exercise on the part of the visa holder or sponsor.

I would challenge a refusal issued purely on the grounds that the IO didn't think the applicant's English was adequate. If the applicant/passenger had a certificate issued by an accredited test provider, the most they might do would be to ask the test provider to play back the recording to ascertain that it was the same person. But if it was, unless the IO could prove malpractice at the test centre (which might of course become the subject of an investigation), I suspect that most appeal judges would say that it's not the IO's job to second guess the language test results; if they've got a certificate, they've got a certificate, whether it's for TB or English.

But I could be entirely wrong :(

And, in this day-and-age, there are many UK IOs who speak only elementary English themselves.

As I'm sure you'll agree, Tony, an IO is not legally empowered to pass an opinion in relation to a subject in which he is not qualified (e.g. a medical opinion). Therefore, in the absence of a contrary professional opinion, a pass certificate is, as Effin2ret says, a pass certificate.

Anyway, there are many centres in Thailand that are/will be offering UKBA-accredited A1 tests. I know of two other test centres that have signed up with EMD, and EMD is only one of many accredited providers. The market is already perhaps saturated.

Scouse.

PS: Perhaps it's as a consequence of Thailand being replete with retired UK IS staff! :lol:

Edited by the scouser

Is this to do with Settlement Visas? If so, can the headline be changed to indicate this, as it could be misleading to some people who have wives and gfs who wish to travel to the UK for a Holiday.

As all the announcements have made it clear that this new requirement does only apply to applicants for settlement as a spouse, civil partner, fiance, proposed civil partner or unmarried partner, I had not thought to edit the title to include "settlement."

However, for the benefit of Beano2274 and anyone else who may be confused, I have now done so.

And, in this day-and-age, there are many UK IOs who speak only elementary English themselves.

As I'm sure you'll agree, Tony, an IO is not legally empowered to pass an opinion in relation to a subject in which he is not qualified (e.g. a medical opinion). Therefore, in the absence of a contrary professional opinion, a pass certificate is, as Effin2ret says, a pass certificate.

Anyway, there are many centres in Thailand that are/will be offering UKBA-accredited A1 tests. I know of two other test centres that have signed up with EMD, and EMD is only one of many accredited providers. The market is already perhaps saturated.

Scouse.

PS: Perhaps it's as a consequence of Thailand being replete with retired UK IS staff! :lol:

I am sure that IO's do not only speak elementary English themselves!!! However my wife has struggled a number of times to understand their accents and this has caused her some confusion at Heathrow.

Having lived in the UK for some time this is much less of a problem!

It will be interesting to see if entry for some is delayed on the grounds of standards of English at Heathrow!!!

Scouse.

There are 64 different English tests that would be accepted, of course not all will be available for teaching and testing in Thailand.

Can we try and move away from calling it a UKBA accredited A1 Test - no such thing exists!

A1 is a score that must be achieved, not the name of a new test designed, implemented and managed by the UKBA. The tests themselves and test centres are not even accredited by the UKBA, but by the awarding body e.g. City and Guilds, Edexcel, Trinity, ETS, Pearson etc. "UKBA-accredited" is very misleading, in my opinion.

The UKBA has simply chosen which tests it considers to be robust enough as proof of English level and flexible enough to report scores for the four key language skills.

Edited by bangkockney

Or you could just sit the TOEIC test for 1,200 Baht

Do know where that can be done and does that meet the CEFR A1 requirements? It's certainly a lot cheaper than the 5,900 Baht the British Council charge for IELTS.

Do any of you know how difficult I.E.L.T.S. or T.O.E.I.C or T.O.E.F.L are? These are for advanced learners or students of English. There primary purpose is to see if the applicant has a sufficient level of English to successfully study at an English speaking University . Very few Thais have any where near the level of English required. And I mean very few.

Looking for the test centre details for you - need to ask my colleague which centre we normally use at that price when she's back in the office.

CEFR A1 is equivalent to the following TOEIC results:

Listening & Reading - 120

Speaking & Writing - 80

[Applicants must have passed the listening and speaking elements of this test]

Do any of you know how difficult I.E.L.T.S. or T.O.E.I.C or T.O.E.F.L. are.? These tests are designed to assess the students ability to successfully complete a full degree course at an English speaking University. They are in no way designed to allow entry to the U.K. as a wife. She would ,as most Thais, have absolutely no chance of passing any of these tests. Sorry.

Do any of you know how difficult I.E.L.T.S. or T.O.E.I.C or T.O.E.F.L. are.? These tests are designed to assess the students ability to successfully complete a full degree course at an English speaking University. They are in no way designed to allow entry to the U.K. as a wife. She would ,as most Thais, have absolutely no chance of passing any of these tests. Sorry.

The tests you named are not designed specifically for students wanting to study a full degree course at University. They are used more generally to asses English language skills for any course of study conducted in English (including English, certificates, diplomas, HND etc etc). Businesses and Governments also use the tests you named as an indication of language proficiency, so, they are not as narrowly designed as you may think.

TOEIC is not accepted by the majority of UK Universities.

There are 2 types of IELTS: Academic and General. Academic is required by UK Universities, partners can chose to take the General test, which is easier. King's College, London for example will require a 7.0 overall score in the IELTS. For a spouse visa, partners will need to score closer to 3.0. A huge gulf, I'm sure you'll agree.

Even Thais who want to study English in the UK for more than 6 months must pass English tests (TOEIC is the most popular) and to a much higher standard than that required for spouses (they must be close to A Level standard already or CEFR B1, following a course at level CEFR B2). So most Thais having no chance? Sorry, but I think you're way off the mark.

Remember even the tests you have mentioned have been selected specifically because: 1) they can grade right down to beginner level; and 2) they assess all 4 language skill areas (only speaking and listening are required for spouse visa).

Edited by bangkockney

...Can we try and move away from calling it a UKBA-accredited A1 Test - no such thing exists!..

Except that it is a test at A1 level and, for the purposes of a settlement visa application, the provider has to be UKBA-accredited.

Semantics, dear boy, semantics.

Scouse.

...Can we try and move away from calling it a UKBA-accredited A1 Test - no such thing exists!..

Except that it is a test at A1 level and, for the purposes of a settlement visa application, the provider has to be UKBA-accredited.

Semantics, dear boy, semantics.

Scouse.

To accredit and to approve have very different meanings.

The UKBA has approved certain language test providers. It is not in the business of accrediting them.

The devil's in the detail, old bean.

The UK border agency has acccredited about 10 providers, who then sub-contract work out to local providers. Expect a couple more places to test in BKK shortly

There are 19 UKBA approved English test providers, with 64 different exams that could be taken.

As quoted on the UKBA website (heading: What will you need to do?):

List of acceptable tests and approved test providers (emphasis added)

Edited by bangkockney

The UK border agency has acccredited about 10 providers, who then sub-contract work out to local providers. Expect a couple more places to test in BKK shortly

There are 19 UKBA approved English test providers, with 64 different exams that could be taken.

As quoted on the UKBA website (heading: What will you need to do?):

List of acceptable tests and approved test providers (emphasis added)

We are, I think, still waiting for two clarifications from you:

Who does the TOEIC test at 1,200 Baht ?

What biometrics are being introduced - fingerprints, iris scans, bar-coding, facial recognition ? All of these are expensive, so how will that affect the cost ?

Scouse.

Youy could well be right, Ralph, about the test certificate. But, I would be happy, as you hopefully remember, to test it at an appeal. An applicant speaking not a word of English, having to stand before the IJ, might focus attention on the absurdity ( my opinion) of such a "test" and it's veracity, from countries such as some we know in West Africa, or even Thailand !