Thai Deputy PM Suthep To Resign Post

webfact

Deputy PM Suthep to resign post Friday to run in Surat Thani by-election

BANGKOK, Oct 7 - Thailand's Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban said on Thursday that he will resign his post Friday to represent the Democrat Party as its candidate in the by-election in the southern province of Surat Thani.

Surat Thani's Constituency 1 by-election is scheduled for October 30 to fill a seat vacated by Democrat MP Chumphon Kanchana when he was facing a five-year ban from politics for submitting a false assets statement.

Friday is the last day for the candidacy registration and Mr Suthep worked Thursday at Government House for his last day and will then fly to Surat Thani in the evening to prepare to apply for the election campaign.

Mr Suthep said he will send his representative to hand in his resignation letter to Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on Friday, saying it is not obligatory to meet the premier in person to inform about the matter.

Mr Abhisit is scheduled to arrive Thailand Friday morning after attending the Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) summit in Brussels and having a royal audience with Princess Bajrakitiyabha who is attending a meeting on Enhancing Lives of Female Inmates (ELFI) at the United Nations headquarters in New York.

As Mr Suthep who supervises national security is resigning, the Cabinet on Tuesday appointed Defence Minister Gen Prawit Wongsuwan to direct the Centre for the Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES) in place of Mr Suthep. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-10-07

I always wonder about hit title, since he is not a member of parliament is it right that he uses the title Deputy Prime Minister, should he really be Deputy to the Prime Minister, a Deputy Pm indicates that he would be able to step into the PMs position, also when the PM is away, as recently, should Suthep be allowed to take over the mantle of PM while he is away, as only an elected politician can be PM.

Just spitballing about this atrocious man,

Deputy PM Suthep to Resign Tomorrow

Deputy Prime Minister in charge of security affairs Suthep Thaugsuban is set to resign from his post to prepare for an upcoming provincial by election.

Deputy Prime Minister in charge of security affairs Suthep Thaugsuban came to work on his last day in office, before stepping down from his post in order to run in Surat Thani's by election for the first constituency.

A source revealed that Suthep appeared in good spirits and had a friendly conversation with reporters.

He told the press that he will submit a resignation letter tomorrow.

The deputy prime minister, meanwhile, said he might leave for Surat Thani, but denied having any thoughts of a auspicious timing to file the application for the by election.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-10-07

footer_n.gif

I always wonder about hit title, since he is not a member of parliament is it right that he uses the title Deputy Prime Minister, should he really be Deputy to the Prime Minister, a Deputy Pm indicates that he would be able to step into the PMs position, also when the PM is away, as recently, should Suthep be allowed to take over the mantle of PM while he is away, as only an elected politician can be PM.

Of course, that atrocious man has managed to help create the stable government Thailand has had the past two years. I am grateful for that.

Of course, that atrocious man has managed to help create the stable government Thailand has had the past two years. I am grateful for that.

eeeeerrrrm - is it not the men with the tanks, guns and bullets which have managed to help create the :lol: stable :lol: government to which you refer?

I prefer to think this atrocious man has shot his mouth off on so many issues - (mouth first, brain later) as to be a positive DE-stabiliser to any government - democratically elected by the majority people of the country - or militarily imposed by the men with the hardware I allude to in my first sentence.

Good riddance to him. Who's next?

So if he steps down and the PM gets assassinated as projected then who will lead? <deleted> - Thai politics - you have to resign in order to run for election? TiT.

The set up appears a little different here in Thailand than in the UK and other Western Countries. There are more than one Dept. Prime-ministers in Thailand - For example: Dept Prime-Minister Major General Sanan Kajornprasart, who is one of I think four Dept. PM's.

that man had to step down as an MP because of financial irregularities then oversaw the slaughter of unarmed civilians in order to cling onto the ill gotten power, I guess one of us chooses our friends more carefully than the other.

that man had to step down as an MP because of financial irregularities then oversaw the slaughter of unarmed civilians in order to cling onto the ill gotten power, I guess one of us chooses our friends more carefully than the other.

Which "slaughter of unarmed civilians" do you refer to ? None happened in Thailand in the recent years. The 2500+ drug deaths were mostly armed people. Even the Tak Bai incident which was really regrettable, but only seven shot, rest died by improper storage (or as k. Thaksin said 'weak through fasting").

These Dems certainly know how to reinforce their moral high ground over the opposition don't they? Replace a bent guy with one even benter.

As far as I understand the PM will take over k. Suthep's duties for the time being, with CRES direction taken over by Defence Minister Gen Prawit Wongsuwan.

Which one do you call benter and why ?

I'm referring to Khun Suthep replacing Khun Chumphon

OK, understand now. May even agree. One consistently forgot to declare his debts only 13 times in 13 years, the other stepped back 'voluntarily' in 2009. Somehow I feel more sorry for k. Chumphon ;)

(edit: agree)

Edited by rubl

Which "slaughter of unarmed civilians" do you refer to ? None happened in Thailand in the recent years. The 2500+ drug deaths were mostly armed people. Even the Tak Bai incident which was really regrettable, but only seven shot, rest died by improper storage (or as k. Thaksin said 'weak through fasting").

Improper storage, heh? That's quite a euphemism for mass-murder.

Improper storage, heh? That's quite a euphemism for mass-murder.

It's even a profound euphemism considering those guys died being stacked in vans and suffocating. I thought it to be the proper response to the 'slaughter of unarmed civilians' which somehow I think member R. tried to associate with the current government. Also called 'irony' or 'sarcasm' my dear chap ;)

are you suggesting that everyone murdered recently by the army was an armed immediate threat, including those journalists?

We both know unarmed people were murdered by the army so why try and dress it up otherwise? Unless you enjoy looking foolish.

I take it you dont support the man who oversaw Thailands biggest hunam rights abuse in decades on his watch and similalry denounce those who advocate burning and bombing and defend it etc

are you suggesting that everyone murdered recently by the army was an armed immediate threat, including those journalists?

We both know unarmed people were murdered by the army so why try and dress it up otherwise? Unless you enjoy looking foolish.

The army probably killed some unarmed people. If you can find anywhere that says that they didn't (except maybe from Chantorn) please point it out.

The army did not murder 91 unarmed protesters, which is what many red shirt supporters want everyone to believe.

Don't try to distract me. I was asking which 'slaughter of unarmed civilians'. There hasn't been any here in recent years. Since 'that man' seems to refer to k. Suthep I cannot place your remark. Unless you want to qualify the 91 deaths in the April-May (peaceful) protests a 'slaughter'. The grenade which killed the army colonel and staff might be slaughter, the other killings (including the BTS Saladaeng lady) either by (still) unknowns or probably by the army in a restraint manner do not qualify as such. Slaughter you might call the October 1976 Affair, the late k. Samak was the rabble rouser there. K. Thaksin's war on drugs with 2500+ deaths looks like slaughter sometimes, Tak Bai wasn't slaughter. None of those cases seem to have been 'overseen' by k. Suthep.

So my question still stands, which 'slaughter of unarmed civilians' do you refer to?

Edited by rubl

Pheu Thai asks for new by-election date

BANGKOK, 11 October 2010 (NNT) - The Pheu Thai Party has asked the Election Commission to reschedule the date for the Surat Thani by-election; citing candidates do not have enough time to campaign.

Pheu Thai Party Spokesperson Prompong Nopparit, accompanied by the party’s legal team, presented a document to the Election Commission (EC), asking for a new date for the Surat Thani’s Constituency 1 by-election. The team requested that the date for advanced voting, initially set for October 16th and 17th, be moved forward for a week.

Mr Prompong explained that the candidates did not have enough time to campaign; therefore, it was not fair for all. The Party also expressed concerns over the fact that the ballot boxes would have been kept by the EC for two weeks when the election took place, making it easier for some people to stuff ballots into those boxes. It also asked the EC to limit the advanced by-election voting to only one day. In addition, it demanded that CCTVs be installed to watch over the ballot boxes.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-10-11 footer_n.gif