Used Kawasaki Boss 175

jeebusjones

I'm looking to purchase a used bike in the 150 - 250cc range. I've found a Kawasaki Boss 175cc for sale at a bike shop in Bangkok for 29k. It is about seven years old with 40,000km. It seems to be in good condition, but I have absolutely no mechanical knowledge so it's hard for me to judge accurately. I took it for a spin around a small side street and it performed well, but obviously I wasn't able to get it up to speed. Green book is included.

Does this sound like a good deal? I've seen Bosses online going for anywhere from 35k to 50k, but should I be wary of buying from a Thai used bike shop?

Thanks for any replies.

Thanks bangkokrick. I had never heard of the Boss until I saw it in this shop, but for the most part the review online seem positive. How does the bike perform with a passenger on the back?

I didn't realize there was a separate forum for bikes; mods, feel free to move the thread.

I looked at a Boss at a shop on the corner of Petchburi and I believe Ekkamai or Pridi, not sure it was a few months back. It looked good, already modified to be a chopper. Quite nice looking, but it was about 9 or 10 years old, and this was to be my first bike. I passed on it, for 1 reason only. Phantoms are so common here in Thailand, that almost anyone can work on them if you need repairs, and accessories are available here and also there is a great site in Singapore, since it is the best selling "big" bike in Singapore. If you are on the fence, go with the Phantom.

That being said, I did like the way the bike handled and rode, decent acceleration for a small bike. If you really like it, get it, but I would suggest either becoming familiar with repairing the bike, or ask the shop for some mechanics that can work on it. A must would be a manual. You don't want to have to be stuck on the side of the road with a simple repair, and not be able to do it yourself in 10 minutes.

Happy riding.

Thanks bangkokrick. I had never heard of the Boss until I saw it in this shop, but for the most part the review online seem positive. How does the bike perform with a passenger on the back?

I didn't realize there was a separate forum for bikes; mods, feel free to move the thread.

In the early days when I was younger and dafter, my now wife and I used to ride down to Pattaya from Bangkok. The bike handles well with 2 on it and we used to enjoy the fact that we could explore around the beaches when we got there. Don't think that I would do that now, but it was great fun at the time. One point is that you can expect some vibration on the bike at higher speeds in 5th gear, but I think that you would also get that on any bike in the same class. I still use the bike for short runs or when the traffic is busy, so I can get from A to B quickly. All in all the Boss owes me nothing, 9 years and still going strong. Buy it!

Cheers, Rick

I had a Boss when I first got here 8 years ago, good reliable bike, but I found it a bit low (I'm 5'11"). I've got a Phantom now and find it a bit more comfortable and solid feeling plus they have the advantage of being very common and easy to get work done on. On the negative side, the Phantom is a little bit more pricey: by the way, I want to sell mine as I want to change to a bigger bike!

I had a Boss when I first got here 8 years ago, good reliable bike, but I found it a bit low (I'm 5'11"). I've got a Phantom now and find it a bit more comfortable and solid feeling plus they have the advantage of being very common and easy to get work done on. On the negative side, the Phantom is a little bit more pricey: by the way, I want to sell mine as I want to change to a bigger bike!

Don't mean to hijack it, but it seems the OP had his questions answered, but what kind of bike are you looking at? Staying with a cruiser, or joining the rest of the pack and getting a sport bike?

I don't like the pack either. I am on a Steed, and looking to move up. I am not fond of Harley's, they are too "cultish" and I find things that are surrounded by a group of die hard loyalists are usually just hype. So I am looking at the new Honda Fury. 1300cc's and it is legal in Thailand. There are enough Honda mechanics around that repairs/maintenance should be easy to come by.