Climate Change Fatal For Phuket

george

Climate change: fatal for Phuket

PHUKET: -- Phuket’s environment will be destroyed and the island “totally ruined” within 10 to 20 years, Senior Director of Thailand Environment Institutes (TEI) Chamniern Paul Vorratnchaiphan said yesterday.

Mr Chamniern – who is also the Rockefeller Foundation’s Asian Cities Climate Change Resilience Network (ACCCRN) project director for TEI – made the comments at the one-day ACCCRN seminar organized by the TEI and chaired by Vice Governor Nivit Aroonrat at the Phuket Merlin Hotel.

The event was attended by 80 people representing various organizations including the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation and Phuket City Municipality.

The seminar was held to assess current and potential environmental problems Phuket faces regarding climate change by fielding input from a wide range of experts, officials and local people.

As part of the ACCCRN, the TEI hopes to formulate and implement a plan of action to prevent the demise of the island, Mr Chamniern said.

The outlook was grim as speakers voiced concern after concern over current development trends and the risks they pose to the Phuket’s environment.

“Phuket is like the Titanic cruise ship, which tried to get to America too quickly and hit an iceberg instead before reaching its destination,” Mr Chamniern said.

For a closer look at the environmental challenges Phuket faces, and the TEI and ACCCRN proposed strategies to dealing with them, pick up a copy of next week’s Phuket Gazette, on shelves October 16.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-10-08

I think this is a poorly worded article, at least the title. Sounds like climate change is the problem....when it is actually changes to the environment caused by too much construction. I think that can be said for pretty much every island in Thailand...unfortunately...

Yes, once again the writers at the Phuket Gazette can't get the title correct...

Phuket’s environment will be destroyed and the island “totally ruined” within 10 to 20 years, Senior Director of Thailand Environment Institutes (TEI) Chamniern Paul Vorratnchaiphan said yesterday.

Actually, it is already ruined due to the lack of planning and greed of developers.

Not even news worthy - ravings and misguided statements at best. blink.gif

Really? And on the day when Organisations from all over the world are demonstrating against international government policies which are affecting climate change.

I've known Phuket for many years and see the Godawful rampant construction still carrying on regardless.

Great swathes of what were once forests/rubber plantations being cleared for yet more shophouses, the rent so expensive that every ubiquitous and thereby redundant massage/mobile 'phone/'beauty' shop opens for one, maybe two months and then gone.

My Thai friends tell me they too are very concerned about the lack of rainfall (eg Ranong has the highest rainfall in the Southern provinces. Why? Because it has the highest forestry density), together with the continuing despoilation of this once lovely island.

But it won't stop. Because of the greed of the 'developers' and the ignorant like yourself.

And on the day when Organisations from all over the world are demonstrating against international government policies which are affecting climate change.

Please share your knowledge with the rest of us by pointing to a single "international government policy" which is "affecting climate change".

And on the day when Organisations from all over the world are demonstrating against international government policies which are affecting climate change.

Please share your knowledge with the rest of us by pointing to a single "international government policy" which is "affecting climate change".

Here, educate yourself http://www.350.org/map/avaaz

PS I'm guessing you're eyes will skim the title and fail to bother with your 'asked for' links. I'm right aren't I?

Edited by evanson

I am well aware of what 350.org is doing. And I think it's great that New Zealanders are spending this Sunday repairing their old bicycles, and that people in Oklahoma are planting an organic food forest.

But that wasn't what I asked. This was:

I concur, the title doesn't sinc with the content of the article. If rampant construction is a problem in Phuket, then focus on that. If the 'planning' is done by Thais, then it doesn't surprise me one iota if things are going to the dogs - literally and figuratively.

Take city parks, for example: Can you point at any town/city in Thailand that has a spacious park - which doesn't have one or more of the following(?)

>>>> concrete nearly everywhere (A Thai park can't be just grass & trees with a few benches - that's the first thing they teach city planners at Thai Universities)

>>>> motorbikes going where they want within the park

>>>> vans, trucks and cars parked wherever they want

>>>> noise & litter

>>>> lack of dedicated bicycle/jogging trails which preclude motorbikes.

Edited by brahmburgers

I am well aware of what 350.org is doing. And I think it's great that New Zealanders are spending this Sunday repairing their old bicycles, and that people in Oklahoma are planting an organic food forest.

But that wasn't what I asked. This was:

Not exactly sure but not doing anything to stop pollution would seem to be a negative policy. This idea of it is OK for me to pollute because Iceland is going to let me have some of there points dosen't wash.:(

I concur, the title doesn't sinc with the content of the article. If rampant construction is a problem in Phuket, then focus on that. If the 'planning' is done by Thais, then it doesn't surprise me one iota if things are going to the dogs - literally and figuratively.

Take city parks, for example: Can you point at any town/city in Thailand that has a spacious park - which doesn't have one or more of the following(?)

>>>> concrete nearly everywhere (A Thai park can't be just grass & trees with a few benches - that's the first thing they teach city planners at Thai Universities)

>>>> noise & litter

yawn.

No thread at the Thai forum with some foreigner who knows everything better and looks down at Thais and post some of his stereotypes.

yawn.

No thread at the Thai forum with some foreigner who knows everything better and looks down at Thais and post some of his stereotypes.

Just curious, do you live in Phuket? Have you been here in Phuket for long? Have you seen what has happened to this island and is still happening? Thanks for your informative post though...coffee1.gif

Edited by Jimi007

>>My Thai friends tell me they too are very concerned about the lack of rainfall (eg Ranong has the highest rainfall in the Southern provinces. Why? Because it has the highest forestry density), together with the continuing despoilation of this once lovely island.

I think if you look historically, you will see that Ranong has always had more rain, just as some parts of Phuket have more rain then other parts.

Back to the subject at hand, if there was proper planning and real permission granted (instead of being bought and paid for), then the island wouldn't be in the condition that is it, but we all know it's the baht driving the expansion and construction.

Now these climate theories have been completely debunked in the civilized world, the only way to stir up fear and get some revenue streams their way, is to peddle their wares in third world countries.

Much like the greed induced collapse of the Western economies (the 'civilized world') you mean? And where do you come off stating 'these climate theories have been completely debunked'? By which particular lobbyist for which particular oil company? <_<

Now these climate theories have been completely debunked in the civilized world, the only way to stir up fear and get some revenue streams their way, is to peddle their wares in third world countries.

I think the confusion starts with the title. This article is not about climate change per say as much as it is about how the local environment has been damaged by runaway development and lack of a "green" blueprint. Just tear down the trees, on the side of the hill, and hope it doesn't slide away before the developer is outta there with his money...

And where do you come off stating 'these climate theories have been completely debunked'? By which particular lobbyist for which particular oil company?

It has always been important to the Warmist mentality to believe that any scientist who refutes their dogma must be a shill for the fossil fuel industry.

It sounds nice, but like virtually all Warmist theories, is complete nonsense. I could start with Lindzen, Curry, Christy, Spencer, and carry on filling dozens of pages with the names of independent, reputable scientists who have turned such a fierce spotlight on the ludicrous man-made global warming story that it has dried up and blown away, like a chicken turd.

To be brief, let's consider the views of Harold Lewis, Emeritus Professor of Physics, University of California, Santa Barbara, former Chairman; Former member Defense Science Board, etc etc,, a man who knows more science than the cabal of global warming hacks could ever learn, and who has just resigned from the American Physical Society (APS), because of its scientific corruption.

He writes, in part:

It is of course, the global warming scam, with the (literally) trillions of dollars driving it, that has corrupted so many scientists, and has carried APS before it like a rogue wave. It is the greatest and most successful pseudoscientific fraud I have seen in my long life as a physicist. Anyone who has the faintest doubt that this is so should force himself to read the ClimateGate documents, which lay it bare. I don't believe that any real physicist, nay scientist, can read that stuff without revulsion.

But I guess there are still plenty of people who find that a belief in man-made global warming makes them feel important, so this nuisance will be with us for some time to come.

>>>> noise & litter

yawn.

But what he's saying is true. Not 'stereotyping'. Thais neither plan (wassat?) nor think of the consequences. And the only thing keeping 'the West '' in check' is the implementation of their Laws. NOT the same in this corrupt/apathetic country.

Edited by evanson

>>>> noise & litter

yawn.

But what he's saying is true. Not 'stereotyping'. Thais neither plan (wassat?) nor think of the consequences. And the only thing keeping 'the West '' in check' is the implementation of their Laws. NOT the same in this corrupt/apathetic country.

Its stereotyping. You just added some more.

Much like the greed induced collapse of the Western economies (the 'civilized world') you mean? And where do you come off stating 'these climate theories have been completely debunked'? By which particular lobbyist for which particular oil company? <_<

Harold Lewis is Emeritus Professor of Physics at the University of California, Santa Barbara. Here is his letter of resignation to Curtis G. Callan Jr, Princeton University, President of the American Physical Society:

http://thegwpf.org/i...al-society.html

(Excerpt from letter)

"For reasons that will soon become clear my former pride at being an APS Fellow all these years has been turned into shame, and I am forced, with no pleasure at all, to offer you my resignation from the Society.

It is of course, the global warming scam, with the (literally) trillions of dollars driving it, that has corrupted so many scientists, and has carried APS before it like a rogue wave. It is the greatest and most successful pseudoscientific fraud I have seen in my long life as a physicist. Anyone who has the faintest doubt that this is so should force himself to read the ClimateGate documents, which lay it bare. (Montford's book organizes the facts very well.) I don't believe that any real physicist, nay scientist, can read that stuff without revulsion. I would almost make that revulsion a definition of the word scientist."

Harold Lewis is Emeritus Professor of Physics, University of California, Santa Barbara, former Chairman; Former member Defense Science Board, chmn of Technology panel; Chairman DSB study on Nuclear Winter; Former member Advisory Committee on Reactor Safeguards; Former member, President's Nuclear Safety Oversight Committee; Chairman APS study on Nuclear Reactor Safety Chairman Risk Assessment Review Group; Co-founder and former Chairman of JASON; Former member USAF Scientific Advisory Board; Served in US Navy in WW II; books: Technological Risk (about, surprise, technological risk) and Why Flip a Coin (about decision making)

Only 20 years left is the headline on page 5 in the Phuket Gazette October 16-22, 2010.

It also state that while the seminar was held to asses the current and potential environmental problems Phuket is facing regarding climate change, over development dominated the agenda.

The headline that "climate change should be fatal for Phuket" is obviously just another cover up as anything not positive about this place and wrong management of the place the last 30 years always get silenced.

But as the honorary German consul say, this announcement regarding the encroachment and destruction of Phuket should not come to anyone’s surprise.

Well none so blind as they who don’t want to see.

>>>> noise & litter

You write some quite good stuff Bram but you have that one way wrong.

Try Jata Jak in BKK for a start (spelling?)

There is a great (big) park in Udon Thani, always go for a run and use the execrcize gear when I am there.

Remember one in Loei I used when I was there.

Then theres the rocket festival park in Yasathon.

Dont remember all of the ones I have been to round the country but can say I found good parks in more places than not.

>>>> noise & litter

>>>> lack of dedicated bicycle/jogging trails which preclude motorbikes

The King Rama IX park in Phuket is a very good example on the above comment, so are in a way Bang wad Dam in Kathu.

Approximately 10-12 years ago the longest round in King Rama IX Park was nearly 3.5 Km. Suddenly they cut of 1/3 of the Park. Reason , a land owner had set up apartments/ houses near Chaofa West and wanted to have an access road to Chaofa East.. Democracy on its best!

Until recently there was possible to run on unpaved surface on the side of the paved lane in the Park. Then there opened a kind of bike boat rental down there so they started to lay gravel and asphalt to widen the walk path which in fact was more than wide enough to drive a car on from before. But with high heels and suit the wannabe be hiso wanted of course to avoid walking a meter, only let the children out for a couple of hours when themselves sit in the air-conditioned car.

Around Bang wad Dam it was once a natural unpaved track. Still a nice area but the natural feeling is just not there and IMO fit motorbikes and cars better than a human legs.

The irony in all this is men and women adults in their best age comes with bandages around their knees and complain about knee pain and ankle pain. Pavement is a killer for any kind of joint.