Car Battery Lifespan

travelmann

It's the heat that makes the batteries live shorter. Its not crap quality in general, GS, Yuasa, Panasonic and SF (Furakawa) make a high quality battery which will live 5 years+ in a moderate climate. They all are massive exporters of their products and only small percentages stay in Thailand for domestic use, with the exception of 3K batteries which mainly sell local. We've tested extensively with imported varta products for comparison and get the same life cycles.

battery life varies per vehicle depending on usage and charge voltage, but rule of thumb is 24 months with the first install going between 12 months and 36 months.

The earlier mentioned Ctek charger is a good suggestion and keeping your battery charged when not in use will deter plate corrosion hence enhance lifetime. The CTek are considered best product, not cheap but my guess is you extend life 30% so it pays back plus your car always starts.

Hak

Ctek is not expensive i think, XS800 good for motor bikes is around 3000 Baht, XS3600 good for cars is around 4000 Baht, i use both and they are very good.

they are inexpensive for the quality. they charge very low amp, so only suitable during storage or to top up last 10% of capacity

similar chargers (14,45Volt and pulses) are to be found up to 20 amp, but cost like 20-30k baht, or up to 50 amp at +80k baht. Used them in my boats/yachts

while engine running, temp in engine bay is 50-70C. thats far to hot for charging battery. parked over night battery temp is 25-30C, which makes battery able to recieve ALL the charge from charger

Edited by katabeachbum
  • Thanks 1

Why do they persist on putting the battery next to the engine in most rides in hot climates. My battery gets very hot in the Vigo. So easy to make a drop in box under the rear seat in any ride option. ;)

expensive cables to make all the Volt and Amp reach the battery under back seat

the electrical systems in thai manufactured cars are severely under grounded, causing batteries to fail prematurely.

add another ground path and the battery will last for a very long time.

sealed batteries in thailand IMO are worse performers than their wet cell counterparts.

Are you saying a (for example) Thai ford Ranger versus an Australian Ford Ranger has inadequate grounding ??

Also sealed batteries are still wet cell batteries, or are you meaning gel cell type batteries, if the latter do you have some data on this as Iam keen to fit a gel cell into my pickup.

Well my battery has just conked out one year and two weeks after purchase and written on the receipt in Thai was 12 month warranty, so can anyone recommend a) suitable battery for pickup and b ) where to obtain in Pattaya?

Edited by JohnC

I have yet to find a battery that lasts more than 3 years tops in Bangkok. Doesn't matter new car or old, GS, 3K, panasonic, yuasa, diesel or gasoline engine.

I don't really know why. Must be the weather or traffic. When I was in the U.S. batteries were sold with something like 48 months warranty. Not even close in Bangkok. The maintenence free batteries here lasts something like a month after the 1 year warranty expires.

I just live with it and assume after 2 years prepare to change the battery. I just buy the cheaper normal batteries since I will have to change them after 2 years regardless maintenance free or not.

My Jazz 1st battery last about 1.5 years, current one been in 2 years must be due to go around now..

So, my last battery lasted just over 2 years (wet cell from Honda dealer - 2,200Bht). Installed a Boliden (dry cell) this morning - 2,600Bht from a shop on the Suk in Pattaya. Honda price is sill 2,200 for their standard wet cell fro the Jazz.