Thailand To Face Sabotage Threat 'In The Next 20 Days'

webfact

Sabotage threat 'in the next 20 days'

By THE NATION ON SUNDAY

Former defence official says 'Seals from neighbouring country' poised to launch attacks

Admiral Banawit Kengrian, a former deputy defence permanent secretary, yesterday confirmed a report that armed militia are plotting assassination of leaders and attacks in the capital during the next 20 days.

Bannawit said he had learnt from military intelligence officials that tens of foreign armed militia from a neighbouring country's Seals, with the same capability as the Royal Thai Navy's Seals and the Royal Thai Army's Special War Command or Red Hat, are planning terror strikes.

The report started making its rounds after last week's explosion in Nonthaburi shattered the country's fragile peace. Bannawit said the report was based on facts and militias had infiltrated several spots in Bangkok to commit sabotage.

"This is not a misleading report. Army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha has admitted that he asked officials to follow these groups and had warned the government about this. Preventive measures are needed to thwart the terror attempt,'' Bannawit said.

Bannawit "tweeted" that people should watch out for two major sabotage strikes within 20 days. Four rocket-propelled grenades (RPGs) found near the old headquarters of the opposition Pheu Thai Party could be linked to a Parliament attack.

He added that the secret command centre of former military top brass on Sukhumvit 3 has been closed. This could be because a major operation is in the making.

Democrat Party spokesman Buranat Samutrak said the government would arrest more suspects involved in bomb attacks over the past five months. The attackers have been classified into three groups: the group plotting sabotage at Santirat Withayalai school, the Bhum Jai Thai Party, and the military camp in Chiang Mai; the group linked to the missing weapons from an arms depot in Lop Buri; and trained militia.

The Democrat Party is concerned about planned rallies this month and the possibility demonstrators could instigate violence as in the past.

First Army Region commander Lt-General Udomdet Sitabutr confirmed the reports that ill-intentioned groups were planning attacks.

He called on the public to tip off security officials to prevent rogue elements from striking terror.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejajiva said the government had been vigilant in response to a statement from Senator Somchai Sawaengkarn that sabotage was planned against basic infrastructure such as power plants. The PM called on the red shirts and the yellow shirts not to violate laws when they stage rallies this month.

Supachai Jaisamut, spokesman for the coalition Bhum Jai Thai Party, yesterday said systematic attempts were being made to bring down the government by undermining confidence and faith in it. He said certain members of the media had been colluding in these efforts.

A Bhum Jai Thai source said a former premier had teamed up with a veteran politician and certain journalists in a bid to bring down the government in a coordinated move.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-10-10

Definitely confirmed as the source appears to be a "tweet" from a former deputy defence permanent secretary.

Be on the lookout for 10's of seals around Sukhumvit Soi 3.

I saw some seals at Paragon ... hiding in the basement.

Edited by whybother

Something to give some thought to.

If you were a parent of an attention seeking child, who always seemed to get into some sort of trouble and had sent this child to his room as punishment, and you suddenly noticed that there was absolutely no sound coming from the youngsters room, what would be your first thought........ Perhaps it would be that the child was up to some or in the process of creating some more ill deeds.

Now taking into consideration the topic of this article, and placing a trouble prone child theory into the picture, who do we know of today that has for the most part been absent from the usual much sought after,news media headlines for some time now. Is it possible that this child is planning some trouble????

Just a parental type thought.

As a "former" Defence secretary, shouldn't he just keep his trap shut?

I would suggest if he is tweeting the world having just met with security officials, he could probably be arrested for violating what ever the Thai version of the official secrets act may be.

Edited by Thai at Heart

This is an incredible story like most that come from government leaders here in the Land of Smiles. Instead of alerting the media and trying to freak out the public to justify our emergency decree in the capital perhaps the intelligence services (yes I know their limited capabilities) should work hard for the next few days to verify the threat. But now I guess we are to be on the lookout for elite groups of special forces soldiers from other countries no less making their way to high valued targets that the government has already stated are under close watch from other threats they told us about. Even here in a third world country wouldn't an invasion by soldiers from another country be like an act of war? Maybe the UN could intervene to prevent another war in the region just like they have done in the small civil war in the south of Thailand.

Amazing Thailand! "Burma with Electricity"!

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejajiva said the government had been vigilant in response to a statement from Senator Somchai Sawaengkarn that sabotage was planned against basic infrastructure such as power plants.

yet another reason to say 'NO' to nuclear for Thailand.

A line in one of Bob Dylan's songs; 'the best is always yet to come.'

The line from attention-seeking Thai military brass; 'calamity is always yet to come.'

Can anyone join the prediction business, or is it just fortune tellers and military officers?

Here are some predictions I'd like to add:

>>>> we're all going to die - someday

>>>> the world is getting more over-populated each day

>>>> Thai motorcyclists will continue to drive anywhere they want, on park paths, through busy street markets, etc.

>>>> ants, rats and cockroaches and poison oak will outlive people

>>>> Bangkok will be one big water park before 2030

>>>> California will experience 'The Big One' b4 2 long.

This is an incredible story like most that come from government leaders here in the Land of Smiles. Instead of alerting the media and trying to freak out the public to justify our emergency decree in the capital perhaps the intelligence services (yes I know their limited capabilities) should work hard for the next few days to verify the threat. But now I guess we are to be on the lookout for elite groups of special forces soldiers from other countries no less making their way to high valued targets that the government has already stated are under close watch from other threats they told us about. Even here in a third world country wouldn't an invasion by soldiers from another country be like an act of war? Maybe the UN could intervene to prevent another war in the region just like they have done in the small civil war in the south of Thailand.

Amazing Thailand! "Burma with Electricity"!

My thoughts exactly. If they are soldiers from another country what is the reason for invading Thailand. Would it not be a declaration of war. What country is it that is planing this invasion. Pretty startling news and no country named.

I smell a rat. :bah:

Everyone must stay alert at this time, be on the lookout for aquatic mammals wearing Red Hats in central Bangkok, I think I got that right ?

Either way you can't miss them, has this thread got a government seal of approval ?

He added that the secret command centre of former military top brass on Sukhumvit 3 has been closed

The secret command centre. Complete with address.

Happily this must have been very conveniently located, close to the entertainment district, in case any of the 'former military top brass' became stressed, and in need of relaxing R&R. B)

I seriously question what is going on in this country.  Someone reports that there are foreign nationals plotting violence and this is made public?  Either they are paid mercenaries or it is a declaration of war or grounds for a declaration of war.  

A great deal of knowledge about these people, but no arrests, no imprisonment, nothing.  Just a news story.  

I seriously question what is going on in this country.  Someone reports that there are foreign nationals plotting violence and this is made public?  Either they are paid mercenaries or it is a declaration of war or grounds for a declaration of war.  

A great deal of knowledge about these people, but no arrests, no imprisonment, nothing.  Just a news story.  

For sure a ridiculous story. And no mention of red shirt militias or associated groups. Kinda shows what side this guy is from. And he blames another country! Which is where these militias are getting their training....and probably weapons....

I seriously question what is going on in this country. Someone reports that there are foreign nationals plotting violence and this is made public? Either they are paid mercenaries or it is a declaration of war or grounds for a declaration of war.

A great deal of knowledge about these people, but no arrests, no imprisonment, nothing. Just a news story.

Too true. Whoever came up with the catch cry of 'Amazing' Thailand got it right.

For sure a ridiculous story. And no mention of red shirt militias or associated groups. Kinda shows what side this guy is from. And he blames another country! Which is where these militias are getting their training....and probably weapons....

Guess who is the big military ally?

Guess who is the big military ally?

Kermit the frog?

When these specially trained seals arrive at the airport we will know where they come from beacuse if they dont have passports they wont be allowed in and if they do have passports we will know where they come from. I could be the next Inteligence boss dont you think?