Finding Out Who Owns What Land

When looking for a plot of land to buy in any given area, it would be a nice thing to be able to look up who the landowners are (and what land they own). Is it possible to go to the land office and get a printout (or info in other form)? Also, a record of past real estate transactions would be interesting - is this a guarded secret or not?

Edited by Gnarpjohan

I think like most things it is relationship based. If you have a good relationship with a land office officer you may get the information you seek on properties other than the one you look at. The one you look at however you are sure to find out the owners details which would allow you to ask them directly.

Antother good one is to ask the officer what plots are available in a particular area as very often the officers act as agents for the owner.

I also found them very usefull in situations where I needed to contact a neihbouring plot to ask permission for land use or cutting trees.

I think you are making it too complex. There is nothing happens in my village or neighbouring villages that does not become local knowledge.I just ask my family or neighbours and get the answers I want. But if you cannot find out what you want from them, then the Phu Yai Ban (village headman) will be able to tell you. He is generally the fount of all local knowledge.

The names of the owners are listed on the title deeds at the land department.

But to find that you need to verify the title deed number using the cadastral map (also at the land department). This shows the shape and location of all title deeds in that area.

Thanks guys. What I am thinking about is if there is a way to make things more transparent instead of only relying on info from relationships. Incidentally, in my area a major landowner also works at the land department. After getting to know him a bit, I would say he is ridiculously well-informed about who owns what and what goes on in the local real estate market in the most attractive area (in fact he is the market to quite an extent).

Is the cadastral map available for anyone to go and take a look at? So, from the title deed numbers on the map I would be able to track down who the owners are through a register? That might be the procedure I am looking for.

Thanks guys. What I am thinking about is if there is a way to make things more transparent instead of only relying on info from relationships. Incidentally, in my area a major landowner also works at the land department. After getting to know him a bit, I would say he is ridiculously well-informed about who owns what and what goes on in the local real estate market in the most attractive area (in fact he is the market to quite an extent).

Is the cadastral map available for anyone to go and take a look at? So, from the title deed numbers on the map I would be able to track down who the owners are through a register? That might be the procedure I am looking for.

When I bought my land the land officer woman was more than happy to show me the map and take a photo of it and the surrouding plots . None of this is online like in the Spanish Cadastral system, the arial photo of the land was very old about 1970 but it could be understood ok.

Photos attachedpost-113733-096615700 1286788941_thumb.jpost-113733-004113000 1286788523_thumb.j

When buying land recently we had a problem because offers were basically going through about 4 people (ie Friend -> Cousin -> Brother -> Owner) and each person trying to get a piece of the pie.

In the end we went to the land office and got the owners phone number (which they had on file). We call them directly and saved quite a bit. We did have to make up some elaborate "stories" to help the owner save face when cutting all the hangers-on out of the picture.