Don'T Tell My An Onion Isn'T A Vegetable

saraburioz

In a vegetarian restaurant today I asked for my usual onion on top of my rice to be told that they don't serve onion during Vegetarian week. On asking why they repeatedly tried to tel me that an onion wasn't a vegetable - am I losing the plot or is an onion a vegetable?

I have heard that onions arenot eaten by strict Hindus and Jains but not sure why.

Something about underground vegetables - when digging up might kill a worm?

Also onions and garlic are aphrodisiacs and when eating meat , the meat soaks up the impurities - when not eating meat the onion could therefore be harmful?

Only a complete to@@er would need to ask if an onion was a vegetable :blink:

Maybe it was the fact you didn't wai her when you walked into the restaurant and all you had to do was tell her onion same same carrot. JEEEZ some people :o :jap:

How can you tell a tosser from a plonker?

I thought same same. :jap::)

Khun Cowboy

I feel like I'm missing out on something important with the 'Ts; specifically, I feel like I'm missing out on the noun between 'My' and 'An'

Should it be "wife"?, "chef" ? "arse" "opic gentlemen"?

I have heard that onions arenot eaten by strict Hindus and Jains but not sure why.

Something about underground vegetables - when digging up might kill a worm?

Also onions and garlic are aphrodisiacs and when eating meat , the meat soaks up the impurities - when not eating meat the onion could therefore be harmful?

Underground vegetables................potatoes, parsnips, carrots, spring onions, onions, turnips, swedes, truffles........cut them out and it leaves only leafy vegetables.

I had a meal in a restaurant which was celebrating the Gin Jay festival, and the dish included tomatoes. Tomatoes are fruits, of course... ;)

Tomatoes are fruit... (Slip of the plural.)

I thought you were 'introducing' a new euphemism...

(Ooh err - can I say 'introduce' on the internet? Sounds a bit saucy....)

SC

• 4 weeks later...

Vegetable, most definitely.

What did they claim it was if not a vegetable?

The idea that alliums (the onion family) are also proscribed came in via the Chinese from the Jains. I talked to a restauranteur about it for my podcast about Chinese food in SE Asia. Although I also podcasted about vegetarian and vegan food in Thailand, I didn't dwell so much on alliums for that.