Koh Chang In Blackout After Storm

webfact

Koh Chang in Blackout after Storm

Officials have begun assessing the damage caused by a landslide on the resort island of Koh Chang. Meanwhile, the Meteorological Department has warned 11 provinces in various regions of possible torrential rain and flash floods.

In the latest development on the Koh Chang landslide in Trat province, rescue officials and the regional energy authority have been trying to clear the mud-buried route in order to resume normal traffic on the Baan Klong Son – Hat Sai Kao Road.

After four power poles collapsed, Koh Chang is still without electricity and the regional energy authority is quickly trying to restore power to the island. It is expected that power will be restored by this evening, while many tourists have begun to leave.

Meanwhile, in Rayong province, a reservoir of the Wang Chan Golf Course has burst, flooding the surrounding area with more than 200,000 cubic meters of water.

More than 130 households, 1,000 rai of farmland, a Buddhist temple and two roads were damaged by flash floods from the burst reservoir. A nun who was reported to have been swept away by floods has been found in a nearby temple, where she took shelter during the incident.

The Wang Chan Golf Course has scheduled a meeting with local village chiefs and affected residents to discuss the damage and compensation.

In Ranong province, torrential rain has triggered a landslide from a nearby mountain slope.

Although the landslide has not affected traffic routes, the provinces disaster relief and prevention center has issued a warning and assigned officials to monitor the situation on a 24-hour basis.

Meanwhile, the Meteorological Department has also issued a warning for provinces, including Prachinburi, Nakhon Nayok, Chon Buri, Rayong, Chantaburi, Trat, Petchaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Ranong, Phang-nga and Phuket, of heavy downpours and possilble flash floods in the next couple of days.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-10-12

footer_n.gif

Traffic, Electricity on Koh Chang Back in Service

The disaster on Koh Chang island is returning to normalcy, as some roads have been reopened and electricity restored in certain areas.

Rescue officers and regional energy authorities have cleared debris from the Baan Klongson Baan Hat Mai Kao Road on the resort island of Koh Chang in Trat province, to resume normal traffic.

The island was earlier hit by a heavy storm which triggered deadly landslides.

Most parts of the island are still without power.

Recently, Koh Chang Municipality designated the area around Koh Chang Resortel, where a mudslide killed one person and injuring another, as the authorities declared the area an emergency zone.

Authorities have also prohibited access to high risk mudslide areas, including the area in front of KC Grand Resort and the island's scenic viewing points.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-10-13

footer_n.gif

Well, electricity came back yesterday, and today i had my TOT connection too..

Today i went through the mountain road which had been damaged in 2 different spots, and the mudslides didn't happen because of the resorts, as there are not any up there.Unfortunately there was one below which was hit.

There are many workers and trucks with cranes of the electricity company at work where the poles went down, i counted about 9 or 10 fallen poles between White Sands and the Thammachat Pier.

Bad it was bad.

RIP to the victims.

Build more resorts on hillsides and wonder why you have mudslides? Brilliant!

I was on Koh Chang las year, a beautiful island.On the southside are the best beaches with all the resorts and everything else for tourists.

There is one road along the coast. The side to the inland has only on the flat parts some hotels, bars and apartements. The inland is a nature reserve, mountainous and very beautiful.

Although the coastline should be more protected in the past, your judgement is out of place.

Edited by Joop50

I was on Koh Chang las year, a beautiful island.On the southside are the best beaches with all the resorts and everything else for tourists.

There is one road along the coast. The side to the inland has only on the flat parts some hotels, bars and apartements. The inland is a nature reserve, mountainous and very beautiful.

Although the coastline should be more protected in the past, your judgement is out of place.

Well, I was there almost 6 years ago and there was some building going on the hillsides then and I'm sure it's a lot more built up now. Since my judgement is out of place, according to you, you be the judge. Here is a photo of where the one worker died and another trapped for 10 hours:

post-44146-059477600 1286971618_thumb.jp

Today i went through the mountain road which had been damaged in 2 different spots, and the mudslides didn't happen because of the resorts, as there are not any up there.Unfortunately there was one below which was hit.

There are many workers and trucks with cranes of the electricity company at work where the poles went down, i counted about 9 or 10 fallen poles between White Sands and the Thammachat Pier.

Bad it was bad.

RIP to the victims.

:blink:...I didn't read anything about victims...where and how many ?

LaoPo

Bad it was bad.

RIP to the victims.

:blink:...I didn't read anything about victims...where and how many ?

LaoPo

Ok, the plural was a mistake, just 1 reported casualty so far, a Cambodian woman who was working in the resort hit by the mudslide..

Actually there were just street rumours here about more than 1 victim..hope they are just street rumours.

Well, I was there almost 6 years ago and there was some building going on the hillsides then and I'm sure it's a lot more built up now. Since my judgement is out of place, according to you, you be the judge. Here is a photo of where the one worker died and another trapped for 10 hours:

post-44146-059477600 1286971618_thumb.jp

Come on man, and I'm sure it's a lot more built up now is your next judgement.

And I cannot make much of that picture. Can be a house too.

I really don't care much for people who want to enter into a pissing match with me. Up to you, you will think what you think. So, why bother? Little Chang Bar/"resort" And story link here: Mudslide Kills One

Edited by Jimi007

I really don't care much for people who want to enter into a pissing match with me. Up to you, you will think what you think. So, why bother? Little Chang Bar/"resort" And story link here: Mudslide Kills One

Thank you for the link man, it says; What's left of Little Chang Bar / Bungalows on Koh Chang after the landslide. A resort is a much bigger area.

So, don't get pissed off, its not worth it, Good luck.

Thank you for the link man, it says; What's left of Little Chang Bar / Bungalows on Koh Chang after the landslide. A resort is a much bigger area.

So, don't get pissed off, its not worth it, Good luck.

To quote the article, which I actually read (see the second link in the above post), it states "The couple worked at Little Chang Resort, a two-storey wooden structure that had eight to 10 rooms." I don't go around making things up. I actually read before I write... wai.gif