Beware The Isaan Hypnotists

syd barrett

Can anybody tell me how to speak Isaan? I've never heard of it.  Khymer,Laos,Sawai and various village dialects containing all of them yes. But Isaan. No.

Many thais(usually from central thailand) refer to "issan people" as being "laos" in their eating habbits/language..

Im not sure if this is a way of condescending somebody,or if it literally means they have a hint of "laos" in their way of life/language.

<snip>Sawai<snip>

Interesting, I have herard some people speak Sawai but, it doesn't seem to be recorded anywhere - Translation Dictionary etc. Is it a written language.

There was a piece a few weeks ago about the origin of Sawai. I wrote that as far as I know it is the language of the Mahouts, and is used in and around the Elephant village near Surin. This was neither proven nor dis-proven. In fact some people said rubbish, it's not, and others posted some evidence of it being spoken among the Elephant herders all over Thailand.

• 4 years later...

Theft by a form of hypnotism better called auto suggestion is common in Thailand and should be taken seriously. How it is done has been explained and demonstrated by Derren Brown, the famous TV Hypnotist, whereby he stops complete strangers and they give him all their valuable belongings............This form of theft with or without sedative drugs is a fact in Thailand and other countries.

Can anybody tell me how to speak Isaan? I've never heard of it. Khymer,Laos,Sawai and various village dialects containing all of them yes. But Isaan. No.

Glad you mention that. The amount of arguments I've had with people saying they speak Isaan. There is no such language. It's an area with the three lanuages you mention plus some chinese and various combinations of those languages.

I believe the girl in question has thought up an imaginative lie to tap some more money out of the Nordic gent.

Beware the Isaan Hypnotists?

Beware the Isaan bar girl BS- more like it.

<snip>Sawai<snip>

Interesting, I have herard some people speak Sawai but, it doesn't seem to be recorded anywhere - Translation Dictionary etc. Is it a written language.

There was a piece a few weeks ago about the origin of Sawai. I wrote that as far as I know it is the language of the Mahouts, and is used in and around the Elephant village near Surin. This was neither proven nor dis-proven. In fact some people said rubbish, it's not, and others posted some evidence of it being spoken among the Elephant herders all over Thailand.

I can confirm that it is a language used by a tiny population of Elephant mahouts in Surin. I lived in Surin for many years. I did know a few words, but they escape me now. I think its pronounced more like the word beautiful in Thai souey. As far as I know it is a verbal language and not a written language.

Theft by a form of hypnotism better called auto suggestion is common in Thailand and should be taken seriously. How it is done has been explained and demonstrated by Derren Brown, the famous TV Hypnotist, whereby he stops complete strangers and they give him all their valuable belongings............This form of theft with or without sedative drugs is a fact in Thailand and other countries.

Is there any evidence that it is common in Thailand?

I've never heard of it in ten years living in six different provences.

If it actually works, then why doesn't the hypnotist just walk into a goldshop or a bank?

As I said before, hypnotism is difficult to believe in, yet we are all hypnotised to a certain degree, during our waking hours.

Mmmmmmmmm care to explain to me how I am (laughingly)....hypnotised during my waking hours at work and at the gym?

A sad story this one...100% true..

How do you know its true? Were you there??

I am certain that this is hypnotism, farangs are safe from it, as fluency in language is needed, but I have warned my TGF about talking to friendly strangers and to be aware of this type of crime, which is very much unreported.

She probably thinks you're a space cadet

FYI :The language school was on Soi Bukhaew and the eatery nearby.

The guy is being scammed...............get over it.

As I said before, hypnotism is difficult to believe in, yet we are all hypnotised to a certain degree, during our waking hours.

Mmmmmmmmm care to explain to me how I am (laughingly)....hypnotised during my waking hours at work and at the gym?

Could be some sort of hypnosis.......you are requesting and expecting a response from a post in July 2005.........what sort of power can persuade a man to do that?...... :) .

:)

I've heard stories....but never actually seen a confirmed incident....of scammers using some kind of a drug...a balm or a lotion....that they rub into your arm or on your palm....and which makes the victim feel woosy or giddy. This substance is supposed to make a victim compliant and willing to agree to whatever the robber or scammer asks them to do.

As far as I know, it is just an unproven rumor.

:D

There are religious missionaries going around Pattaya, I have seen them around for the past four or five years, preaching some esoteric form of Buddhism.

They approach local girls with an appearance of having some money and persuade them to part with same.

My wife was caught out a couple of times a few years ago. I asked her what it was all about and she couldn't explain. They just talked to her for ten minutes, once when I was watching, and she gave them a chunk of her housekeeping. Ten minutes later she couldn't tell me anything of what they said.

Now she keeps well clear of them - refuses to let them in the gate or go out to talk to them.

No drugs, no magic cream, just talk. Whether there was any hypnosis involved I do not know.

But a lot of these girls are very credulous with well-spoken strangers.

I'm going to call this as I see it with the three possibilities and associate a probability to each one, with the given reason:

1. (99.9% Probability) She's lying, making the story up.

- gambling, drugs, or has spent or used the money in some other way

- very poor reasoning, that she wouldn't lie to another Thai lady about this (maybe she lied to her because she knew your gf would tell you)

2. (0.0999999%) She was drugged and robbed.

- unlikely because of the quickness, in public place, etc.

- also extremely unlikely because would be coherent to give out pin number for bank card

3. (0.0000001%) Astronomical odds against this story of 'hypnosis' being true.

- hypnosis takes a very controlled environment of a person who cooperates and wants it to happen

- even if a person allows themselves to be hypnotized, they won't do something that they don't want to (if this were the case, there would be hypnotists robbing people everywhere)

Sorry, but I have to call dumbass on the OP.

Sorry, but I have to call dumbass on the OP.

Since you mean me, (I posted this several years ago); then I must be the dumbass?

People often ridicule that which they cannot understand. Those same people abuse those with superior knowledge and understanding.

I no longer believe that this is hypnotism, but some kind of auto-suggestion, a kind of mind-play by professionals to get you do something you would not normally do.

I am not saying that these people will make you eat an onion and convince you it was an apple, but they will put you into a trance and steal your gold and valuables.

Fortunately, these above said 'professionals' are rare in Thailand.

In Pattaya, you must only beware of the man on Beach Road standing outside the Royal Garden Mall. He has a mystical potion on his hands which will sedate you whilst he pickpockets your wallet, mobile phone and watch.

Remember, if some such observations haven't been approved by the catatonic scientific community, it can't be looked upon with any legitamacy......never mind attempting to explore things that we might not know or want to know or even threaten our very being. :)

Same thing happened to my friend - he met this Isaan Girl in bar, they went home together and then she started speaking in TOUNGE.... he ended up happily giving her 2000 baht :):D

"Speaking in TONGUE" what does that actually mean?

A sad story this one...100% true..

The girl in the next block has a Norwegian boyfriend, who is back home now, but keeps her well supplied with gold and cash, she is even learning English at school.

Last week on a food break in a cafe, while dining alone, a woman approached her speaking Isaan asking for directions, she sat down next to her and asked various questions and gained her confidence.

The next thing the girl remembers is coming-too, some minutes later, 15-20 minutes and her gold, handbag etc. were missing containing mobile phone, ATM card etc.

She was very disorientated but it got worse when the bank told her that 20,000 baht her daily limit had also been withdrawn, she must have revealed her PIN number to the female robber.

I am certain that this is hypnotism, farangs are safe from it, as fluency in language is needed, but I have warned my TGF about talking to friendly strangers and to be aware of this type of crime, which is very much unreported.

FYI :The language school was on Soi Bukhaew and the eatery nearby.

Can you be hypnotsied withour being aware??

Same thing happened to my friend - he met this Isaan Girl in bar, they went home together and then she started speaking in TOUNGE.... he ended up happily giving her 2000 baht :):D

"Speaking in TONGUE" what does that actually mean?

Indoctrinated by ancient spirits????

Its scary. I remember something similar happenned like this story to a Thai Lady walking in Big C. This was also about 4 years ago, she was approached by a smart Thai Lady, and then did not remember anything, when she came around, her Gold Chain was missing.

Don't talk to strangers.