Honda Cbr 250R 2011

LOSHonda

I used to own this bike. specs for Honda 500 XL In some ways the new Honda 250 CBR is similar. Both have a single cylinder. The 500 XL weighs 306 pounds dry to the 347 pound wet weight of the Honda 250 CBR This 500 Honda 500 XL is rated at 33 horsepower to the 250 CBR's 26. But Bikez rates the horsepower for the 500 XL at 27 and its weight at 313 pounds. Add another 12 to 15 pounds for gas and oil and the weights are not far off from each other. Top speed is between 84 and 88 miles an hour from these two sources. Mine would accelerate pretty rapidly up to 80 then it would peg out at 85 miles an hour indicated so its indicated top speed was over 85 miles an hour. Of course the gearing will be different between the two bikes and the tires are altogether different given the 500 was meant for on and off road. The 250 CBR's front end will seem to be infinitely better planted. The 500 had so much torque and low speed acceleration to make the bike pretty scary in the woods. Of course the agressive tread design of the 500 XL's took a lot away from its touring bike capabiliies. With its bike street bike tires this will be no problem for the CBR 250. Somewhere on the web I saw an acceleration figure of zero to sixty miles an hour of 6.5 seconds for the Honda CBR 250 and that is a quicker zero to sixty figure than I've seen for Ninja 250 R's. So here's my prediction. At fast highway speeds the Ninja 250 R will be faster but in city traffic the Honda 250 CBR will be much more potent. My prediction for the top speed of the CBR 250 will be around 83 to 88 miles an hour. The question is how often does one want to be driving faster than 80 on Thailand roads? And for anything up to 70, particularly up to 60, the new CBR is going to be about the most fun thing on two wheels with torque characteristics about ideal for the most situations one is likely to encounter here on a street bike.

83-88 MPH (133-141 kph)? Not with the gearing that the CBR 250 has; unless it's super-overgeared. My math works it out to be ~162 kph (101 MPH) redlined in 6th. Now we know that there's a good chance it won't hit that stock; but I bet it's within 10-12 kph. Even the Ninja 250 does some 154 kph with my 100+ kilos on it...

Dave.. I guess we will see what it does once a couple of magazines test it or owners here have one. I'll say this though. The first bike I had, a 350 Honda CB rated at 36 horsepower, was basically a 90 mile per hour bike. But Honda was claiming something like 103 miles an hour for it. I traded that in for a Honda 450 CB that was rated at 45 horsepower and it would do about 100, about three miles an hour down from what Honda was claiming for its CB 350. My R-65 BMW with 50 horsepower and 650 cc's would do 105 miles an hour or a tad better.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question is how often does one want to be driving faster than 80 on Thailand roads?

The answer...

Whenever I can!!! :lol:

Ride On!

Tony

Nice vid Tony but I think you need to show the speedo maxed out at 299 on the Bang Na -Trat at 5pm if you want the 'Thai Ghost Rider' accolade ;)

The digital speedo on the K6 GSX-R 1000 doesn't stop at 299... it keeps going :ph34r:

Riding in Thailand is a good thing IMO...

Go slow and you might end up like this...

suzuki-gsx-r-has-a-b_460x0w.jpg

(would be better if that was a Fortuner or a Benz, but you get the idea) ;)

WOOT!

T

Mind listing the reasons that "the CBR 250 is a lesser bike in every way."? I can kinda understand about the front fork being softer (I'm assuming that's a direct response to the international bike that Honda has been looking to market and most people worldwide are not as hefty as say I), but the even Ninja's was way to soft for my fat arse. And since the CBR 250R will be released in the States I'd assume that it would be a short time until Race Tech releases an upgrade.

I'm also wondering what exactly the ratios v. powerband on the two bikes would result in when considering the acceleration. Kinda like the difference between a supercharged ZR-1 and the Nissan GT-R. Low-end torque geared for it and high-end horsepower geared for acceleration. There's really a tossup between the two, and I'd be willing to bet that it's going to be the same-same with the Ninja v CBR comparison.

Case in point; it seems that at BIRA the test rider was able to reach the same speed on the CBR 250 as Bard did (in the same area?--seems like it from reading both accounts) without the aftermarket exhaust that Bard had on his Ninjette.

And taichiplanet; there's no way that the ABS will allow you to do a stoppie; by definition that is exactly what the system is designed to prevent (antilock braking system---you want the front caliper(s) to nearly lock up to do stoppies).

Hiya Dave!

Ok, I already admitted that "lesser in every way" was probably a bit too strong, but performance and handling-wise I think you will recognize that a stock Ninja 250R has an edge over the stock Honda CBR 250. The Ninjette has more power, higher redline, better suspension, a race proven frame, better brakes and more "linear" gearing.

As that article you linked to says, "Power-wise, the CBR250R certainly packed enough fizz to keep me happy around Bira, although the bike’s not clearly designed to be a race track tearaway."

There's also a little blurb towards the end of the article ( I certainly enjoyed the bike’s slender proportions, which is a case of yin and yang compared to my good self…) that leads me to believe the reviewer is heavier than your average 250cc rider, so one should consider that when reading his review.

I'm rather surprised that Bard's old Ninjette could only hit 140km/hr indicated on the straight at BIRA... Especially with the Area P full system and powercommander! Then again, Bard is a BIG fellow. I'll have to check with some of the guys who race 250cc's there because I believe most Ninjette's are pushing 160 on the speedo by the end of the straight.

Oh, one final thing. Not sure about this new Honda, but most bikes with ABS CAN do stoppies because when you do a stoppie you do NOT lock up the front wheel.

Honda CBR600RR with Combined ABS stoppie-

combined_abs_stoppie.jpg

combined_abs.jpg

Ride On!

Tony

I for one believe it will be released, probably around Spring.

So where is the poster formerly known as Dom Toggaf.

I thought he would be here eating crow about the 250 never being released in Thailand.

What on Earth are you on about???

I never once said or thought that it wouldn't be released here. See my above quote on it.

I was exactly right, except that my prediction of it's release date was 4-5 weeks out.

Cheers chaps.

Dominic.

PS. I'm also getting one. Black and silver thank you very much. Why not spend less than 25k more than the 150, is my thoughts on it. If you need a city bike for traffic, get the old 150 and mod it up. Need it for a bit of cruising/highway commuting, bet you'll regret not having that 100cc more after a while on the new 150. That said, the paint schemes on the 150 are far nicer to my eye. :)

Cheers chaps.

I asked one of the main Honda dealers here in Chiang Mai when the new 250 would be advailable up here .All they could say was next year ,meaning after the new year .

They did have the new 150 on display and the showed me a brochure of the 250 .Anyway i have decided as i have never been into sports bike ,to put a deposit down on a Honda PCX.They expect me to get delivery Jan or Feb.Anyway better for upkeep of bike value to wait to get new year registration .Price of the PCX up here B71,200

To each his own, but I wouldn't have a PCX if they GAVE it to me for free!! Well, I would, but then turn around and sell it. I don't know if you test drove one, especially out on the road in traffic and on the highway, but I did. Brought it back to the show room and told them "No Thanks", went straight to Yamaha and paid cash for a new Nouvo Elegance 135cc.

PCX styling is ok, but performance totally sucks as far as I'm concerned. My wife's new Scoopy will run circles around a PCX, not to mention the Nouvo. Too heavy, sluggish acceleration, hard suspension and totally hated that split seat.

I was looking for a temporary replacement for my 150 after I sold it, till the new ones came, and something good I could then give to my son. He's more than happy with the Nouvo, telling me that one of his friends bought a PCX and he tried it and didn't like it either, so he's glad I bought the Nouvo.

10,000 baht cheaper and a much better performing bike, in my opinion. But, like I said, to each his own.

:jap:

I hired the PCX for a week a few months ago and loved it .I hired it in Pattaya and just around town i found it more than fast enough .If long term i do find top speed a problem there is a tuning advailable to de-restrict it ,and get more top speed .I doubt i will need it as out of town i take my van .

In the past in Europe i rode and owned old BMW boxers 800cc plus .Now getting on i am not interested in speed above the traffic flow ;-)

I asked one of the main Honda dealers here in Chiang Mai when the new 250 would be advailable up here .All they could say was next year ,meaning after the new year .

They did have the new 150 on display and the showed me a brochure of the 250 .Anyway i have decided as i have never been into sports bike ,to put a deposit down on a Honda PCX.They expect me to get delivery Jan or Feb.Anyway better for upkeep of bike value to wait to get new year registration .Price of the PCX up here B71,200

To each his own, but I wouldn't have a PCX if they GAVE it to me for free!! Well, I would, but then turn around and sell it. I don't know if you test drove one, especially out on the road in traffic and on the highway, but I did. Brought it back to the show room and told them "No Thanks", went straight to Yamaha and paid cash for a new Nouvo Elegance 135cc.

PCX styling is ok, but performance totally sucks as far as I'm concerned. My wife's new Scoopy will run circles around a PCX, not to mention the Nouvo. Too heavy, sluggish acceleration, hard suspension and totally hated that split seat.

I was looking for a temporary replacement for my 150 after I sold it, till the new ones came, and something good I could then give to my son. He's more than happy with the Nouvo, telling me that one of his friends bought a PCX and he tried it and didn't like it either, so he's glad I bought the Nouvo.

10,000 baht cheaper and a much better performing bike, in my opinion. But, like I said, to each his own.

:jap:

I hired the PCX for a week a few months ago and loved it .I hired it in Pattaya and just around town i found it more than fast enough .If long term i do find top speed a problem there is a tuning advailable to de-restrict it ,and get more top speed .I doubt i will need it as out of town i take my van .

In the past in Europe i rode and owned old BMW boxers 800cc plus .Now getting on i am not interested in speed above the traffic flow ;-)

I'm with you Thaifan, bought a PCX 3 months ago after 8 years on 150 CBR's and for me it's just great and plenty quick enough around the town. Having said that I had a look at the new 150 today at Big C in Pattaya and the tri-coloured did look very attractive. Really wanted to have a look at the 250 which someone had test ridden a couple of days ago but it was gone. When I'm next up for a change in 2-3 years I think it'll be a tough choice moving away from the PCX, but then again those CBR's.............. B)

Hiya Dave!

Ok, I already admitted that "lesser in every way" was probably a bit too strong, but performance and handling-wise I think you will recognize that a stock Ninja 250R has an edge over the stock Honda CBR 250. The Ninjette has more power, higher redline, better suspension, a race proven frame, better brakes and more "linear" gearing.

As that article you linked to says, "Power-wise, the CBR250R certainly packed enough fizz to keep me happy around Bira, although the bike's not clearly designed to be a race track tearaway."

There's also a little blurb towards the end of the article ( I certainly enjoyed the bike's slender proportions, which is a case of yin and yang compared to my good self…) that leads me to believe the reviewer is heavier than your average 250cc rider, so one should consider that when reading his review.

I'm rather surprised that Bard's old Ninjette could only hit 140km/hr indicated on the straight at BIRA... Especially with the Area P full system and powercommander! Then again, Bard is a BIG fellow. I'll have to check with some of the guys who race 250cc's there because I believe most Ninjette's are pushing 160 on the speedo by the end of the straight.

Oh, one final thing. Not sure about this new Honda, but most bikes with ABS CAN do stoppies because when you do a stoppie you do NOT lock up the front wheel.

Honda CBR600RR with Combined ABS stoppie-

combined_abs_stoppie.jpg

combined_abs.jpg

Ride On!

Tony

Oops, it appears that I was wrong about the ABS...apologies!

If we can agree that horsepower is the rate at which torque (which is a direct measurement versus the derived measurement that horsepower is), than we must consider the torque at various points between the two bikes. At peak horsepower the CBR 250R makes 16.1 lb-ft of torque; at the same 8500 RPM the Ninja is only putting out ~22 HP (or some 13.6 lb-ft). The other cool thing is that since the CBR is geared some 25% higher in 6th, that's actually like the Ninja spinning some 10 625 RPM. Right in the meat of its horsepower it's making some 27.6 HP; unfortunately this only translates to (still since you have gone past peak torque and are on the way down) 13.6 lb-ft! It appears the party is over at 10 000 RPM for the CBR; believe the Ninja cut-out is at 13 000, but how much of a difference does that 500 RPM, when your torque has dropped below 11 lb-ft, do you?

I.E., in top gear, rpm for rpm the Ninja should prove to be the lesser of the bike. Wonder if the lower gears would provide as much of an advantage (the gears aren't as tall and so the spread of speed covered is not as large; upshifting could be a problem)? But it's late, I'm tired and sick (headcold), and will worry about it later.

For the more 'robust' members of the forum, here is an indication of how you'd look on the CBR250! :D

post-70604-0-45456900-1291857706_thumb.j

lol he makes the bike look like a toy. Good luck i am just 60kg i may can go a little faster than him :D

Anyway would be interesting who will get the cbr250 here. After we got our toys we could meet for a nice trip.... I am waiting for the ABS but when its there its mine.

For the more 'robust' members of the forum, here is an indication of how you'd look on the CBR250! :D

lol he makes the bike look like a toy. Good luck i am just 60kg i may can go a little faster than him :D

Anyway would be interesting who will get the cbr250 here. After we got our toys we could meet for a nice trip.... I am waiting for the ABS but when its there its mine.

Fat people should not be allowed !

IMG_1262.JPG

Popped into the large Honda dealer in Chumphon yesterday and they said delivery was due that day but delayed until Friday.

Which just happens to be a public holiday. :lol: Don't hold your breath, but it will probably be next Monday.

Popped into the large Honda dealer in Chumphon yesterday and they said delivery was due that day but delayed until Friday.

Which just happens to be a public holiday. :lol: Don't hold your breath, but it will probably be next Monday.

Lol, didn't even occur to me and the kids are off school tomorrow....doh

Any one know when the 250's are in the shops...finance deals?...1st class insurance cost etc etc

Soon.

Finance - 20k down. 4,440 p/m for 24 months.

Cash - 102,xxx on the road, free full face helmet and vouchers.

First model is maroon/silver. (not attractive to my eyes)

I'll be asking about the delivery date of the Black/silver in about an hour or two as I'm popping down that way.

Plan on buying it myself.

Fat people should not be allowed !

IMG_1262.JPG

Poor bike...

Any one know when the 250's are in the shops...finance deals?...1st class insurance cost etc etc

Soon.

Finance - 20k down. 4,440 p/m for 24 months.

Cash - 102,xxx on the road, free full face helmet and vouchers.

First model is maroon/silver. (not attractive to my eyes)

I'll be asking about the delivery date of the Black/silver in about an hour or two as I'm popping down that way.

Plan on buying it myself.

And where did you get the finance info?????????

And where did you get the finance info?????????

3 sources:

First: Honda

Second: post 679 on this thread.

Third: These conditions were offered to me at a shop.

ok.. I could get no info reference finance from Honda at the Moto-expo in fact they told me that was a dealer thing.(i also mentioned that somebody had got the finance info at the show, and was told thats impossible)...... but then at the same show i got 3 different prices for the ABS bike.. They also had NO INFO ON 1ST CLASS INSURANCE WHICH I FOUND STRANGE. Also trying to say that was a dealer thing... They were definitely living up to their new moniker APe Honda.

Edited by thaicbr

The looks of the CBR are definitely growing on me and I really like the idea of a new bike.

However I recently rode the 250 Ninja and really liked that too.

Here's the conundrum. Whether to go for a brand new Honda or wait for the inevitable low mileage Ninjas with a few tasty extras that are bound to be coming on the market in the near future for the same price.

The looks of the CBR are definitely growing on me and I really like the idea of a new bike.

Here's the conundrum. Whether to go for a brand new Honda or wait for the inevitable low mileage Ninjas with a few tasty extras that are bound to be coming on the market in the near future for the same price.

Well wait until the cbr comes out .. get a test ride and see which one you prefer... just sitting on them i prefer the Cbr it seems more RIGHT. well for me anyway. I have recently acquired a herniated disc in my lower back...lucky me :whistling: sO I'M NOT GETTING ANY BIKE UNTIL THATS SORTED OUT :D  

So you would rather buy a used Kawasaki than a new Honda? Assuming they will be similarly priced?

Let's see....

New Honda. Brand new. No abs. Bt. 100k. 3 year total warranty. 5 year Pgm injection warranty. Or....

Used Kawasaki. At least 2 years old before owner would sell for Bt. 100k. Considering he paid Bt.149k. Including tasty extras? You really want that Kawasaki owner to take it on the chin don't you? Any warranty left? How many kilometers on the clock? :huh:

Not much of a conundrum methinks. I don't think too many purchasers will be lining up for that deal. If the Kawasaki owner is to have any chance of selling, his price better be around Bt. 80k.

So you would rather buy a used Kawasaki than a new Honda? Assuming they will be similarly priced?

Let's see....

New Honda. Brand new. No abs. Bt. 100k. 3 year total warranty. 5 year Pgm injection warranty. Or....

Used Kawasaki. At least 2 years old before owner would sell for Bt. 100k. Considering he paid Bt.149k. Including tasty extras? You really want that Kawasaki owner to take it on the chin don't you? Any warranty left? How many kilometers on the clock? :huh:

Not much of a conundrum methinks. I don't think too many purchasers will be lining up for that deal. If the Kawasaki owner is to have any chance of selling, his price better be around Bt. 80k.

Funny you should mention it. I'm planning to get to the Honda dealer tmro to whack down a deposit on the 250 so was browsing around this morning. On bahtsold.com a ninja has just been put up, all lime green (2008?), sports exhaust, 120,000b.

Yeah right. Honda dealership it is, come tmro. :)

BTW, the one mod I'll make sure to do one the parts are available is an after market exhaust. I've read that the stock is quite heavy, and restrictive. Will be interesting to read up on it in the future, but imagine getting a lighter, free-er sports pipe will add a bit of punch to the admitedly rather vanilla set up (hardly seems like a roaring sports bike) in stock. Would imagine the single cylinder pushing out 26+ HP could make a nice note too. :)

Cheers chaps.

Let's see....

Funny you should mention it. I'm planning to get to the Honda dealer tmro to whack down a deposit on the 250 so was browsing around this morning. On bahtsold.com a ninja has just been put up, all lime green (2008?), sports exhaust, 120,000b.

BTW, the one mod I'll make sure to do one the parts are available is an after market exhaust. I've read that the stock is quite heavy, and restrictive. Will be interesting to read up on it in the future, but imagine getting a lighter, free-er sports pipe will add a bit of punch to the admitedly rather vanilla set up (hardly seems like a roaring sports bike) in stock. Would imagine the single cylinder pushing out 26+ HP could make a nice note too. :)

Cheers chaps.

So ur dealer will get it by tomorrow? For sale or show? BKK?

So ur dealer will get it by tomorrow? For sale or show? BKK?

No, I'll be whacking down a deposit tomorrow. A minute after it arrives I'll be there with the rest.

I'm going to book the black/silver model so might have to wait a bit longer, as I believe the first model delivered is the maroon/silver. Which should arrive next week.

Let's see....

Cheers chaps.

I imagine that as the reality sinks in the second hand Ninjettes will get cheaper, maybe even the new ones might have to be cheaper!

The Ninjette was getting about a 20% increase with aftermarket exhaust systems, so will be interesting to see what improvement there will be for the CBR. The exhaust on the CBR250 looks and sounds lame. I had the original muffler/can on my old CBR150 gutted and repacked; it seemed to make a difference. At least it sounded better and had the added advantage of looking stock. I'd be inclined to do the same on the 250 to start with; get rid of the cat, open up the outlet and paint the muffler/can silver instead of black. The header pipe seems to be a good size (on the old 150 this was where a lot of the restriction was), but maybe there is some gain there too.

Obviously a properly designed exhaust system will gain more power than the simple mods suggested above.

I like the look of the Mugen muffler that was on one of the bikes at the Bkk unveiling.

post-70604-0-46257700-1291956159_thumb.j

Edited by taichiplanet

Here in Chiang Mai, the dealer on Huay Kaew knows of the 250 now and expects them in next week - will call me, in fact.

Meanwhile, they have brochures, pretty fancy, and 150's in three colors on the floor. Brochure repeats policy of the new Fi models - warranty 3 years, but 5 on the fuel injection system.