Honda Cbr 250R 2011

LOSHonda

I am not claiming to know anything better than the all knowing Everbird, but on this site CBR250R Specifications they claim 359 pounds (163 kg) kerb weight for the CBR250R and 368 pounds (167 kg) for the ABS version. Fuel tank takes about 13 liter alone, which can only mean that either the info on the site is wrong, or somebody is talking out of his arse for whatever reason.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As this is official from Honda

http://ww1.honda.co....kit/CBR250R.pdf

Do you think that Honda is wrong or lying when they in their official media information are calling it lightweight with its 161 kg dry weight?

They are are also calling it a powerful 250 with its 26hp?

Some examples for the novice biker

The 20 year old 1990 Honda CBR250RR 4 cylinder, 142 kg dry weight

2010 Honda CBR600RR 4 cylinder, 155 kg dry weight

2010 Honda GSXR600, 4 cylinder, 163 kg dry weight

2010 Suzuki GSXR750, 4 cylinder, 163kg dry weight

Okay, i will bite. The kerb/curb weight is 162kgs, also known as wet weight which is surprise, surprise different from dry weight. That makes it 7kgs lighter than the Ninja 250s wet weight of 169 kgs. The dry weight of the Ninja 250 is 155 kgs. From the figures i could find on the 2010 CBR600RR its curb/kerb/wet weight is 186 kgs. The wet weight of the 1990 Honda CBR250RR is 157 kgs. Seems the new low-budget CBR250R holds up well with the others wet weight. Or do you ride your bikes without any fluids in them?

http://www.hondanews...ec-33004c34bae8

And yes it is called advertising spin. The CBR250 even in Honda's eyes is an entry level sports bike, not a road race bike. And this is the R version, maybe they will do a lighter more powerful CBR250RR version just for you and hopefully you will have less to whinge about, but i doubt it.

You got it all wrong novice, The dry weight of all thes bikes are:

The 2011 Honda CBR250R 1 cylinder is 161 kg dry weight

Hey Thundermouth,

Can you tell us what the original CBR250RR would cost TODAY in 2010 US dollars or Thai Baht? You know everything so please let us know.

Tony

If you gonna keep trashing me when I am posting motorcycle facts Mr Pony and dont recall my name I suggest you look at my profile name at left of screen before qoute a reply.

Your question is irrelevant as its out of production and i dont see your point as my post was about weight difference and a media information given by Honda.

Ride on - Pony tail

After reading this thread I decided to add my useless opinion to the many others here. I do agree that the CBR250 is likely to steal sales from the Kawi 250. After all who in their right mind thinks a 250 is a "real" sport bike anyhow. Having said that while I think the 250 is likely to be successful, I think the 150 will do even better. Thailand is a very price sensitive market and don't forget "whitey" is a small part of the larger market. At the end of the day these companies are out to make money and "niche" bikes are generally not that profitable. Would I buy an NSR400 in good shape? Absolutely! Would a re-release of the NSR400 make Honda much money? Probably not.

Personally I am thinking of buying 3 different bikes when I get back to Thailand, a step through for the missus and for mooban mobility, a CBR150 for Bangkok's traffic mayhem and an ER650N for day trips and site seeing. If I decide that it is a bit too silly to buy all 3 I would consider the CBR250 as a possible compromise between the 150 and the 650. The 250 "ninja" is not appealing at all since it is no closer to a proper ZXR than the baby CBR is to a proper CBR___RR; the upright seating on the CBR and what appears to be better 2 up ergo's would be more important to me. Neither bike has a "proper" suspension, my guess is both come with shit tires (ninja may win here), both will need to be clutched mercilessly to launch so really discussing their sporting merits is kinda mute. Its like dragging a stock Honda city against a stock Toyota Yaris, might be fun, once......but who are you really kidding about performance? Being cheaper and having the linked brake system that I loved on my old VFR800Fi would just be icing on the cake.

As far as buying a "real" sport bike, those days are in my past, my last "real" bike was a CBR954, but if I was to buy another it would be either something interesting in a 90 degree VTwin, or maybe a triple. Buying an old Hawk/Bros and doing it up would also be a nice ride.......in fact I wonder if you could drop a 750 firehawk engine into an old Bros/Hawk, now that would be a nice ride.....hrmmmmm need to look into that......

One other comment I would like to throw out their as a public service message, if you want better braking, #1 get better tires, #2 learn how to use your brakes, #3 look into linked brakes or ABS. In that order!!!! (ok maybe #1 and #2 should be swapped for the clueless).

Ride on brotha

Wow look at that lurker since 2008 and this is my 3rd post ......

Edited by Dakling

Yes, i am such a novice that i didn't realise that petrol was an optional extra on some bikes. It is obvious to me now that they run on hot air, as do some on this forum.

Getting back to the topic; part of the design spec for the CBR250R (starting to love the name, really suits the bike) was to make an affordable bike that gets better mileage. Therefore it needs less fuel and therefore its curb weight is less. Those Honda guys are smart but obviously aren't smart enough to do a hot-air conversion.

Hey Thundermouth,

Tsk tsk, Tony, DNFTT... anything you say is just an invitation to spout more nonsense for him...

That's for everyone: If you're annoyed that ThunderTroll is crapping all over this thread DON'T REPLY to him. JUST IGNORE IT. Once out of food, they leave.

So, since today is the day that is should be released, anyone getting one?

Or

Is today the day where all of you will feed Thunderboy?

I read about the CBR250 in a newspaper yesterday (The Nation) and they said it would be out for sale next year??? So many rumors, what is a boy supposed to think?

I find it amusing to complain about a bike that you have never ridden, technology has advanced a little in the last few years. I do think that the new CBR will be better than the old CBR. Honda is not known for making bad bikes and they know better than the most of us what it would cost their brand name if they produced something that is as awful as Thunderbird wants us to believe.

This bike is definitly not for all people, "REAL" bikers that can only aknowledge large choppers from the US will probably look down on everyone riding this bike, but then again, they don't like people who rides a sportsbike either.

Different bikes for different people. Honda has long ago given up producing the fastest bike, I do think that they are trying to make usefull bikes instead. The put more emphasis on riding style-how comfortable you can be and reliability.

If we expect to get a bike cheaper than a Ninja 250, sure they have to cut some corners, but I do not think it is THAT bad.

I am also sure that they can make a CBR that would blow the socks of everyone here on this forum but would it sell? I don't think it would make enough money, and at the end of the day, that is what they want, a bike that will sell to the masses, not a bike that 1 in each country will buy... If you have that money, buy a MV Augusta or Ducati... (Wet dreams)...

Many interesting things in your post. For sure the only thing that is better on the new CBR vs old one (considering the old one wasproduced today) is a better price and fuel economy.

And Honda is not known for making bad bike. Rather the very opposite. But now and then any manufacturer can come out with a bad or a missunderstood model as with this one. And its a shame as it happens in Thailand where the big bike scene from manufacturers are very small.

Any biker looking down on another biker just because he drives a 50 cc bike or a scrapdog bike and that person definately is a stupid one.

And yes Honda could easily make a CBR250 that would blow the sock out of everyone. Andthats the whole point ............ and why this bike should never have been released as being a CBR. A true CBR MUST be the top of the line in terms of everything no matter what cc model it is.

When I hear someone say, if you dont like the name CBR just peel off the sticker, that makes me sick as this is not what it is about. CBR is a well established name and preferance in the bike world!!

Porsche just couldnt release a 911 with 100 hp, 6 inch wide wheels, synthetic fiber seat polstering, a bus sized steering wheel, no rpm meter etc ... and then call it a 911.

Does anyone think that would pass in the Porsche world?? There might be someone that could never afford a 911 that would be happy and like that but that wouldnt change the fact about the established 911 model. Its all about this and nothing else.

A novice here is being lead into beliving this is a true CBR, which it is not. If it was released as a CB250 and I would nt critisized it as it then would have told people what it was.

Edited by Thunderbird4ever

As this is official from Honda

http://ww1.honda.co....kit/CBR250R.pdf

Do you think that Honda is wrong or lying when they in their official media information are calling it lightweight with its 161 kg dry weight?

They are are also calling it a powerful 250 with its 26hp?

Some examples for the novice biker

Okay, i will bite. The kerb/curb weight is 162kgs, also known as wet weight which is surprise, surprise different from dry weight. That makes it 7kgs lighter than the Ninja 250s wet weight of 169 kgs. The dry weight of the Ninja 250 is 155 kgs. From the figures i could find on the 2010 CBR600RR its curb/kerb/wet weight is 186 kgs. The wet weight of the 1990 Honda CBR250RR is 157 kgs. Seems the new low-budget CBR250R holds up well with the others wet weight. Or do you ride your bikes without any fluids in them?

http://www.hondanews...ec-33004c34bae8

And yes it is called advertising spin. The CBR250 even in Honda's eyes is an entry level sports bike, not a road race bike. And this is the R version, maybe they will do a lighter more powerful CBR250RR version just for you and hopefully you will have less to whinge about, but i doubt it.

You got it all wrong novice, The dry weight of all thes bikes are:

The 2011 Honda CBR250R 1 cylinder is 161 kg dry weight

Could you please tell all us novices how you arrived at the 161 kg dry weight for the CBR250R and if that is supposed to be for the regular or the ABS version? Maybe some link to back it all up even?

Based on specs supplied by Honda, the CBR250R would weigh 150 kg with an empty tank, but all other liquids in and the ABS version 154kg. Pretty sure you could shave off quite a few kg if you wanted to, especially by replacing the exhaust system.

I find it amusing to complain about a bike that you have never ridden, technology has advanced a little in the last few years. I do think that the new CBR will be better than the old CBR. Honda is not known for making bad bikes and they know better than the most of us what it would cost their brand name if they produced something that is as awful as Thunderbird wants us to believe.

It's really a matter of how you define "BETTER".

If PRICE is the most important factor then Honda may have a winner with the CBR250 if it comes in around 100k Baht. What other factors determine which bike is "BETTER"?

QUALITY? No doubt this bike will be of typical Honda quality

LOOKS? I think most of us agree that the new CBR 150 LOOKS a lot better than the old one. The new CBR250? Dunno... IMO it doesn't look BAD, but it doesn't knock my socks off either...

PERFORMANCE? Until this bike is thoroughly tested and goes head to head with the Kawasaki Ninja 250R no one can say definitively how this bike will perform. Have to wait and see...

NAME? Apparently Thundermouth is really bent out of shape because Honda is calling the new 250cc thumper in sport bike fairings a "CBR"... Does ANYONE else care about the NAME of the bike? I certainly don't. You won't see me throwing a tantrum just because Kawasaki throws a Ninja sticker on the EX650 :lol:

Ride On!

Tony

After reading this thread I decided to add my useless opinion to the many others here. I do agree that the CBR250 is likely to steal sales from the Kawi 250. After all who in their right mind thinks a 250 is a "real" sport bike anyhow. Having said that while I think the 250 is likely to be successful, I think the 150 will do even better. Thailand is a very price sensitive market and don't forget "whitey" is a small part of the larger market. At the end of the day these companies are out to make money and "niche" bikes are generally not that profitable. Would I buy an NSR400 in good shape? Absolutely! Would a re-release of the NSR400 make Honda much money? Probably not.

Personally I am thinking of buying 3 different bikes when I get back to Thailand, a step through for the missus and for mooban mobility, a CBR150 for Bangkok's traffic mayhem and an ER650N for day trips and site seeing. If I decide that it is a bit too silly to buy all 3 I would consider the CBR250 as a possible compromise between the 150 and the 650. The 250 "ninja" is not appealing at all since it is no closer to a proper ZXR than the baby CBR is to a proper CBR___RR; the upright seating on the CBR and what appears to be better 2 up ergo's would be more important to me. Neither bike has a "proper" suspension, my guess is both come with shit tires (ninja may win here), both will need to be clutched mercilessly to launch so really discussing their sporting merits is kinda mute. Its like dragging a stock Honda city against a stock Toyota Yaris, might be fun, once......but who are you really kidding about performance? Being cheaper and having the linked brake system that I loved on my old VFR800Fi would just be icing on the cake.

As far as buying a "real" sport bike, those days are in my past, my last "real" bike was a CBR954, but if I was to buy another it would be either something interesting in a 90 degree VTwin, or maybe a triple. Buying an old Hawk/Bros and doing it up would also be a nice ride.......in fact I wonder if you could drop a 750 firehawk engine into an old Bros/Hawk, now that would be a nice ride.....hrmmmmm need to look into that......

One other comment I would like to throw out their as a public service message, if you want better braking, #1 get better tires, #2 learn how to use your brakes, #3 look into linked brakes or ABS. In that order!!!! (ok maybe #1 and #2 should be swapped for the clueless).

Ride on brotha

clap2.gifwelcomeani.gif I agree with you (as the Thai says) shuure... 1 million percent !

Why didnt you come on here before? Your post is accurate all the way. You know something about bikes I understand. I ve done many projects and I actually started on a Bros 650 and did it up a little. It was meant to get a full over with a hand made custom mono swingarm which one shop in Lad Prao road in Bangkok does and with a 240 wheel but I lost interes in the project and took on with something else.

By the way I have lying around a Bros 650 wheel that is widened to 6 inch. It is a 18 inch wheel so tyres are harder to source. But as times go by, and a 18 incher is only getting more rare.

Strange you mentioned swopping a twin engine. I am today actually paying for a V-twin bike only to get the engine, and that engine is going into a single cylinder bike. Yeah do we love modifying!

its party time. partytime2.gif

You can PM me if you want for this project info.

It's really a matter of how you define "BETTER".

If PRICE is the most important factor then Honda may have a winner with the CBR250 if it comes in around 100k Baht. What other factors determine which bike is "BETTER"?

QUALITY? No doubt this bike will be of typical Honda quality

LOOKS? I think most of us agree that the new CBR 150 LOOKS a lot better than the old one. The new CBR250? Dunno... IMO it doesn't look BAD, but it doesn't knock my socks off either...

PERFORMANCE? Until this bike is thoroughly tested and goes head to head with the Kawasaki Ninja 250R no one can say definitively how this bike will perform. Have to wait and see...

NAME? Apparently Thundermouth is really bent out of shape because Honda is calling the new 250cc thumper in sport bike fairings a "CBR"... Does ANYONE else care about the NAME of the bike? I certainly don't. You won't see me throwing a tantrum just because Kawasaki throws a Ninja sticker on the EX650 :lol:

Ride On!

Tony

You are certainly out of your mind if you are trying to compare the looks of a 20 year old bike with a todays bike. If a todays bikes looks would have been released in 1990 and people would have thought it to be a spaceship!

But if you want to run around and thinking IF Honda produced a real CBR250 today and that they would have put the 1990 fairings on, well thats up to you.

And in this post it was about comparing the old CBR vs the new one, so I dont see your point in bringing in the Kwacka.

In terms of better and I think any biker with experiance of a R-bike knows the definition of that. There is no need for old granny to define that.

How come that you are not complaining about the old CBR, just the new CBR250?

If you feel that they are so strongly missusing that name, my guess that you should rather slagg off the CBR150, as that would be even worse than the CBR250...

I like that you find many things interesting with my post... But please read the whole paragraph before you agree or dissagree... Even if my English is not clear all the time...

They COULD make a CBR that would blow us out of our socks, but the price would not be suitable for the market they are looking for...

I think that Honda is abroad looking to sell to first time buyers, not old riders like ourselves, and for them, this bike would be a proper CBR... Here in Thailand (if it gets here) we buy it because it is CHEAP, RELIABLE, DECENT, and probably a few other reasons... We do not buy it because it is the best bike out there... It might just be the best we can afford or just something that we feel comfortable with...

Just like the 250 ninja, I am sure you can find faults with that, just like the 650 ninja, but hey, the prices that they come with, and the factory support they give... Why would you not buy one that you can ride around on ALL the time...

I have here in Thailand bought old bikes many a times (I don't understand the MECHS...) and I hate the fact that the bikes I have had has never been fully legal, sure no problem here in town or if you don't have an accident, but when that happens, legal is the way to go...

. Would I buy an NSR400 in good shape? Absolutely! Would a re-release of the NSR400 make Honda much money? Probably not.

If you want a 2stroke and I have a MC21 NSR250 that I am not using anymore but that works perfectly well. It could need some body work and would be a great project. Its parked in Bk at my friends factory. Go and have a look if you want.

And you gotta love the NSR400, A customer of my friend in Bangkok just made up a NSR400 with new looks. Looks awsome with pipes sticking out from everywhere!

About Bros project and I am not sure what a Firehawk is. What you could do with a bros and what slides right in is the engine from an Africa Twin 750.

If you feel that they are so strongly missusing that name, my guess that you should rather slagg off the CBR150, as that would be even worse than the CBR250...

I like that you find many things interesting with my post... But please read the whole paragraph before you agree or dissagree... Even if my English is not clear all the time...

They COULD make a CBR that would blow us out of our socks, but the price would not be suitable for the market they are looking for...

I think that Honda is abroad looking to sell to first time buyers, not old riders like ourselves, and for them, this bike would be a proper CBR... Here in Thailand (if it gets here) we buy it because it is CHEAP, RELIABLE, DECENT, and probably a few other reasons... We do not buy it because it is the best bike out there... It might just be the best we can afford or just something that we feel comfortable with...

Just like the 250 ninja, I am sure you can find faults with that, just like the 650 ninja, but hey, the prices that they come with, and the factory support they give... Why would you not buy one that you can ride around on ALL the time...

I have here in Thailand bought old bikes many a times (I don't understand the MECHS...) and I hate the fact that the bikes I have had has never been fully legal, sure no problem here in town or if you don't have an accident, but when that happens, legal is the way to go...

For sure the 150 could need a slagg too but I'd rather leave it as it is a small bike in all ways. size, cc..

Your english is fine, mine is not half the good as yours, but I do speak 3 languages quite well so i am happy with the way it is biggrin.gif

How this bike is priced doesnt change the fact how a CBR should be.

About legal bikes... who said anything about buying illegal bikes. I am for sure not up with that.

If you are buying bikes that are, ok.... but then I think its you who should adrees that problem

PS! The CBR125 have been slagged as from the day it saw daylight in Europe for being the CBR it is. Just go on any small bike forum where young guys are comparing bikes and you'll see what they say.

Ride on brotha

Thanks for trying to get this topic back on topic. Interesting and good comments; it's quality that counts not quantity! :D

You do touch on a very interesting point in having a bike for every occasion. I agree with your selection of new bikes available in Thailand (probably take the fairing version of the ER6N though) but the problem is i can't afford the ER6, let alone 3 bikes. It would be great if there was a new 400 bike available, but i will have to make do with a new 250 and my little Wave to try and suit my needs!

Also agree about tyres and brakes. No good having decent brakes if the tyres don't grip. None of the new bikes sold in Thailand have decent rubber on them (IMO), so it is worth while factoring in another THB 5-8k for decent rubber on the 250s. The good thing is the CBR250 is running a 4.00" rear rim compared to the Ninja's 3.50", so a 150/60 should sit more comfortably on it. Though maybe some would argue (rightly or wrongly) that a bigger tyre on the CBR250 is over-tyre-ing it! The ABS is a god-send for a rider like me!

Hope to see you on the road somewhere!

Edited by taichiplanet

For sure the 150 could need a slagg too but I'd rather leave it as it is a small bike in all ways. size, cc..

Your english is fine, mine is not half the good as yours, but I do speak 3 languages quite well so i am happy with the way it is biggrin.gif

How this bike is priced doesnt change the fact how a CBR should be.

About legal bikes... who said anything about buying illegal bikes. I am for sure not up with that.

If you are buying bikes that are, ok.... but then I think its you who should adrees that problem

PS! The CBR125 have been slagged as from the day it saw daylight in Europe for being the CBR it is. Just go on any small bike forum where young guys are comparing bikes and you'll see what they say.

By illegeal bikes I do mean bikes with not the proper paper work... Invoice only, grey import that can be taken by a moody boy in brown at any given time...

Price will always factor inn on what the bike will look like and handle like... They can not price their new CBR to high, as that would go against what I think is their goal (an affordable 250cc bike for the masses)...

I think the 250 is the same size as the 150, as they do share several parts according to my thai mech that works for Honda...

Glad you can speak 3 languages, that is 2 less then I can... (what has that got to do with anything???) (Ok, I have to be really drunk to speak Thai)...

Now, it is after 12, has anyone seen one yet? My mech said new years, anything? can I go down and hit him, and I will if the bike is out now...

Someone offered me 68000 for my pcx that I have had for 7 months, but I said no, since I want to have a bike untill the 250 gets here...

For the record, what is good for some, is not so good for some. That is why we can modify them!

. Would I buy an NSR400 in good shape? Absolutely!

If you want a 2stroke and I have a MC21 NSR250 that I am not using anymore but that works perfectly well. It could need some body work and would be a great project. Its parked in Bk at my friends factory. Go and have a look if you want.

Tyga have a bodywork, a screen, pipes and a 300 kit whistling.gif

Edited by VocalNeal

Please stop the name calling & discuss/debate in a civil manner.

When posting specs, a verifiable link would be apreciated by other board members.

Please stop abusing the report function.

Or the topic will be closed for a while for everybody to chill out.

Edited by soundman

. Would I buy an NSR400 in good shape? Absolutely!

Tyga have a bodywork, a screen, pipes and a 300 kit whistling.gif

The 300 engine kit you can do here but Paul will not sell you his bodykits here in Thailand that he makes for the NSR.

If you want the Tyga parts in Thailand and you must order to an adress abroad and send it back or hand carry it back here. The NSR will fly when its fully built. Not many bikes will be faster than this on the track here.

Its a lot of parts available around for this model. One popular mod is to get the upsidedown forks from the RVF400 that is almost a direct swop and always some up for sale in BK. Other things, engine management from HRC, different key card with preset engine setting if you have the latest wiring and ECU. Mono swing arm swop from latest NSR250 the mC28 or just from a Bros or a VFR if a bit more budget.

Sorry going a bit off topic (I will get back to 250's at the end) and not sure how to quote properly.......

ThunderBird wrote>>About Bros project and I am not sure what a Firehawk is. What you could do with a bros and what slides right in is the engine from an Africa Twin 750.

(EDIT: Sorry brain fart, the VTR was the firestorm, not the fire hawk)

(EDIT #2: Double brain fart, the thing was a dam_n 1000....not sure why I remember it as a 750...oh well guess it likely wont fit in a BROS too well)

Firehawk is the North American name for the not particularly popular VTR750, a 750cc 90degree VTwin Honda released mid 90's in North America. Not a real high end powerplant but it is modern with fuel injection and 4 valves/cyl. Not to be confused with the much higher end RVT1000 V-Twin. I am just thinking that the actual engine case is likely the same size as an older 650 V-twin and might be a near bolt in with some electrical giggery and mount mods.

I am thinking that replacing a single with a twin as you propose would be problematic isn't the frame central down tube is in the way? Cant think of a single without one and personally wouldn't get into frame mods as I wouldn't know what I was doing. At this point I wouldn't want to get into an older or modified 2 stroke as I really don't want to wrench that much anymore. I am getting kinda lazy in my old age. I had a buddy who bought a new NSR400 when they first came out we were all on 750s at the time and thought he was an idiot, after all it sounded like a lawn mower.....that was until he dove under me in a corner and made me look like I was a tool. I was never the fastest in my groups anyhow but I could always keep up, I'm not a natural or gifted rider but you pick shit up in 25+ rears or riding sport bikes.

Thaichiplanet wrote>>You do touch on a very interesting point in having a bike for every occasion. I agree with your selection of new bikes available in Thailand (probably take the fairing version of the ER6N though)

I thought about the fairing version but to be honest the wind buffeting doesn't bother me that much and since I always ride with boots, jeans and gloves and a mesh jacket I usually find the extra air on my chest and upper arms is cooling. I am almost always a bit too warm when riding in Thailand. Gotta admit I did look like a tool on my old CBR150 with my mildly armoured Sidi boots, mesh jacket with full inserts, armoured gloves and a full face helmet. On the other hand I crashed my CBR150 4 times in 1 year riding like an @$hole and my gear definitely saved me a pile of skin. Granted on the one day I went out with cowboy boots jeans T-shirt and gloves I got caught between a swerving taxi and a parked pickup at about 60KM/hour. Thank god I had my gloves on as I wore through them saving my torso from road rash. Gloves are a must...you always put your hands down first.

Ok back on topic to CBR stuff

Thaichiplanet wrote>>The good thing is the CBR250 is running a 4.00" rear rim compared to the Ninja's 3.50", so a 150/60 should sit more comfortably on it. Though maybe some would argue (rightly or wrongly) that a bigger tyre on the CBR250 is over-tyre-ing it! The ABS is a god-send for a rider like me!

Bigger rim size is almost always a good thing, sure a bigger tire is heavier and may not turn in as quick but contact patch is everything. In my opinion you really cant over tire a bike for road use unless you end up getting a silly too flat camber drag tire or some nonsense like that. Rear tire width is nice and great for show but a nice big front rim is what I really want for most BKK riding. I credit at least 2 of my wipeouts to $#!t stock tires on my old CBR. On one accident I swear I grabbed a handful of front brake (in a linear, progressive fashion of course) only to lose the front tire, recovered and repeated 3 times before ending up between the taxi and the pickup. If I had a grippier (softer compound) larger contact patch tire I think I would have avoided the accident. ABS also would have helped as my skidding the front then recovering then re-skidding again wasted valuable breaking time on skidding(50% braking effectiveness) and recovering (0% braking effectiveness). You should be able to completely unload the back tire when you grab a handfull of front break without skidding the front tire if you are on a reasonable surface and you have ok tires. In other words your back tire should basically have almost 0% of the weight on it in a panic stop. a big grippy front is a must for real world riding. I will ride a rear down to the cords depending on the situation (NOT RECOMMENDED) but my front is always a quality tire and is replaced at the wear markers or before. One last comment on the ABS and linked breaks, I think they are a great thing for street bikes and would definitely spend the money to get it. Sure at the track you may not be able to set up for a twisty as well with those breaks, you may intentionally want to slide the bike a bit setting up for a corner but for the real world 99% of the time you will be happy you have them. It is the unexpected stuff that they save you ass on, that dam_n dog running out, the pothole when the sun is in your eyes that you see at the last second, the @$hole on your side of the road mid way through a blind corner. Even the best riders can dump the front when startled, when tired after a long ride etc. ABS wont save you from everything but its a tool in the toolbox.

The truth is that the CBR250 is what it is. A sporty little standard that will get you around with no muss and no fuss with good ergo's and good build quality. It is not going to compete against an exotic bike or a "proper" sport bike (whatever that means to you), but that isn't its target. It will be reliable, cheap to run, fast enough to take on the highway with out being constantly overtaken, easy to get around traffic on (though the 150 might be better). Is it the perfect bike.....no, is it a good bike that will meet the needs of its market.....I think so. Just wait it may be the next thing that Thai kids will be dragging with bicycle tires and straight pipes.....oh and dont forget the neon kit that makes it much faster!

Ride on....sorry if this came off as pretentious or anything. Just my opinion, feel free to differ. Worlds got room for all of us...(well so far anyhow).

Oh and thanks for the welcome :)

Edited by Dakling

So my Thai mate and I went down to the local Honda dealer... I told him to enquire about the 250... They told him the same as they told me... New years...

Now here is the twist... They told me that the bike was on show at main hotel here in NST, so what did we do??? Jumped in my pick up and drove down there...

Honda was holding some kind of seminar where they educated and trained their staff about the new CBR250... And guess what... It was there in person in the back of the room...

What did I do??? I went inside and took a few pictures of it, then one with me on top... Gorgeous red colour...

My Thai mate will book one for me soon... I want that bike... The seat is more comfortable than the CBR 150...

Now, if you want some pictures I can e-mail you all... I will try to upload a few pictures here... It is taken with my phone so be kind... And I do look like a blimp on it...

Another thing was that the sales girl told us it would be around 130000b for it... not mentioning anything other than that...

Edited by snowflake

Now, if you want some pictures I can e-mail you all... I will try to upload a few pictures here... It is taken with my phone so be kind... And I do look like a blimp on it...

Another thing was that the sales girl told us it would be around 130000b for it... not mentioning anything other than that...

It's been like 18 minutes already, get with the uploading!! rolleyes.gif

130k is a bit spendy, I think I prefer the 115k price previously banded about.

Let us just say that I will book one...

The seat was more comfortable than the 150, and it felt good. It was very nice to lift the knees up and they fold just under the tank as they are supposed to.

Footpegs were not so high and the sitting position feels very relaxed... It is not a sports bike, but more like the old VFR, touring... I like it alot and so will many other people...

All in all it feels much like my mates old VTR1000... (not test ridden the 250) so for riding I don't know...

Edited by snowflake

Ok, earlier I took a break from painting outside to drive into Chiang Mai because my wife called me to tell her her cousin called her, and they have the 150 in "all the colors" now. Ok, took a look and here's my impressions.

1) Red / White / Blue = Unique color scheme that is definitely an attention getter.

2) Red = Looks like it's ready to go racing as soon as you start it.

3) Black - This one just looks aggressively "mean". Like the last black carburetor model on Steroids!

I like all 3, but according to my wife, since I was born on a Monday, a red bike is unlucky for me. So is a red car. Funny, I owned 3 Mustangs and 1 fully restored Mazda RX-7 (1998), and never noticed anything bad happening to me. lol.

So, if I have to choose between the red/white/blue or the black one, knowing me, I'll take the black.

BUT....not doing anything till I see the 250.

:whistling:

PS, As I mentioned previously, the 2nd Saturday of every month Honda has a big show at the sports stadium here in Chiang Mai. Mostly showing different body kits for various models, etc, and a road rally. I'm going this Sat and hope they have a 250 to show.

Nice work snowflake! I was starting to think i was caught in a bad dream!

Are you gonna post the shot with you sitting on it? Not that i wanna know what you look like, just to get an idea of the size and riding position! :) (Okay, just saw the link to it!)

So what do you think about it looks? i know this is subjective but is it better in life than the photos?

Still no news on sales date. I'm still thinking APe Honda is holding back to sell more 150s first, they'll spring the 250 on us one day; un-announced of course.

Edited by taichiplanet

First impressions from those pics, fugly! The bike, not the rider. :) Don't take that the wrong way. That could be because of the angle of the pics though. But still glad that another choice is going to hit the market.

Edited by GarryP

I have to say that the pictures does not do the bike justice... It is much better in real life...

I thought it would be good for people to get a certain sense of how large it was... I know that I am but ugly but hey... You are not supposed to be looking at me!!! LOOK AT THE BIKE! :-)

It seems to me that my Thai Honda Mech is spot on so far... It will be released early 2011 so that they can train mechanics and sell more 150s... I do hope that he is wrong!!!

I am all excited now...

Small, but not too small- if you know what I mean! I will be happy at cruising down the road for a few hours on that one... My butt tells me the same...