What Is It With................

Kan Win

descriptions that might fit these ops: ill mannered (or none at all); self centered; badly brought up; selfish, etc, etc. i once offered an old timer (1000+posts) op some rams free of charge as he had some difficulty finding these in prantip...and guess what? no word of thanks, no mention whatsoever! mai pen rai...i am sure not all ops are the same.

For a while I used to be a regular shopper at a local market in Bangkok.

One day I saw this American man holding up a key asking a Thai lady where he could get a key cut. They were both fluent but unfortunately in different languages. The woman couldn't speak English and the man couldn't speak Thai, both talking to each other but in total confusion. I approached the man and said, I know where you can get a key cut just follow me. I lead him to a little key cutter shop right inside the market. The owner was absent and I went and found him, he was outside in conversation with a taxi guy. I brought the owner back to his shop. He told the American man to wait 5 minutes while he cleaned the key cutting machine. The American guy said, he would go and buy a can of soda and will return. On that note he walked out of the shop and completely ignored me.

I thought; you pig! I walked smartly out the shop caught up with the man and said, at least you could have said thank you.? The man without looking me in the eye, replied in a begrudging way ; thanks and he was gone.

This episode has not put me off helping people, but yes, there are some real pigs out there and a few are Thai visa members.

post-110219-063017200 1287163212_thumb.j

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

I thought; you pig! I walked smartly out the shop caught up with the man and said, at least you could have said thank you.? The man without looking me in the eye, replied in a begrudging way ; thanks and he was gone.

This episode has not put me off helping people, but yes, there are some real pigs out there and a few are Thai visa members.

good on you, bettlejuice! too many times it has happened to me too....but i never do what you did. perhaps i don't have the guts or perhaps i deem it not my job to teach manners to some people. i have stopped holding lift doors open for people though.

good on you, bettlejuice! too many times it has happened to me too....but i never do what you did. perhaps i don't have the guts or perhaps i deem it not my job to teach manners to some people. i have stopped holding lift doors open for people though.

Me, I still hold doors, I don't do it for a thank you, I do it for my own satisfaction of having done something polite and positive.

I couldn't care less about how people react to kindness or politeness.

I do it because its the way I was brought-up a very long time ago (when politeness still mattered), and I'm too old to change.

regards

yermanee

• Like 1

not ignorant just maybe lost the original post , i find it hard to locate topics ive recently submitted

lol..always my problem too..always have to go back to profile and posts..email notification don't seem to work no matter how often it's ticked..ADMIN IS this a problem????..better pm me with response lol

We rarely admit we were wrong, and when someone else presents a bicker-ending argument,its easier to move on to the next battle than to admit defeat - especially if the defeat is more a lack of victory (i.e. it is clear that the other has prejudices you will never overcome) - (I'll use that as my excuse in the future!).

In the same vein, it was a big loss of face to ask for help - but at least there was a hopefully positive outcome out of it; then why remind others of the loss of face by bumping the question back to the top with a thank you, when (as far as you (we? I? one?) was concerned, the matter had been resolved...I'm not saying its right, but can understand why they (you? I? we? one?) might do it

SC

Quite coincidentally this post as it was sort of the subject my Priest this morning was talking about, I had missed 10.30 mass so had to go to 12:00 which is in Latin, so I sat listening taking about half of it in as my Latin is poor so when Father Joseph (FJ) began to tell as story in English it sank in slightly more, it was about an observation he had made through the week of how he had been waiting behind a mother and child (child was about 4) at the cashiers counter, they had just paid for the groceries and as the cashier gave them back their change but handed it to the child, the mother in turn told the child to say Thank you. FJ for this moment took it for it's entirety, even though they were being given back their own money the mother was telling the child to say thankyou and I take it is the way most of us are brought up and just forget or choose to. Have to say though most of the Thais I have met have no problem saying this and I mean that on the positive flip.

Thankyou for starting this post :)

Quite coincidentally this post as it was sort of the subject my Priest this morning was talking about, I had missed 10.30 mass so had to go to 12:00 which is in Latin, so I sat listening taking about half of it in as my Latin is poor so when Father Joseph (FJ) began to tell as story in English it sank in slightly more, it was about an observation he had made through the week of how he had been waiting behind a mother and child (child was about 4) at the cashiers counter, they had just paid for the groceries and as the cashier gave them back their change but handed it to the child, the mother in turn told the child to say Thank you. FJ for this moment took it for it's entirety, even though they were being given back their own money the mother was telling the child to say thankyou and I take it is the way most of us are brought up and just forget or choose to. Have to say though most of the Thais I have met have no problem saying this and I mean that on the positive flip.

Thankyou for starting this post :)

Thanks; Latin - seriously - still, in this day and age... how quaint.

• 1 year later...

Kan Win,

I have always appreciated your photos and the time that you have taken to upload them.

If I haven't said it

THANK YOU for showing us parts of Thailand that we probably would never see.

This is not a nasty post - just one that I should have said years ago.

Don't worry Patsy, Kan Win won't be back to say thanks. biggrin.gif

OHHHHHHHHHHH yes he Kan be back.

Opps, A big thank you for your post 'Patsycat'. wai.gif

Better late than never.

Win

• Like 1

I think that in many cases, the OP has been slagged off, made fun of, his question has been scrutinized and critisized, maybe hes not a native English speaker and every single error will be pointed out in his post, if it's concerning his GF or Wife then she is run through the mill and accused of being a whore and a liar etc etc.

Anything concerning the OP spending any money in Thailand will be met with the usual comments about how stupid he is and he'll lose the lot etc etc etc.

Anything about Thai people will be met with the usual anti Thai negative posts etc etc.

I understand why they don't come back, hardly surprising to me.

Yes....quite the civilised and pleasant place to hang one's hat.whistling.gif

However the topic is still at hand "Cardholder" or is it too OLD (the topic for you to say Tks as well) and why are you still a "P" member when you Kan/could change it as you do have more that 500 posts that are required.

Win

I think that in many cases, the OP has been slagged off, made fun of, his question has been scrutinized and critisized, maybe hes not a native English speaker and every single error will be pointed out in his post, if it's concerning his GF or Wife then she is run through the mill and accused of being a whore and a liar etc etc.

Anything concerning the OP spending any money in Thailand will be met with the usual comments about how stupid he is and he'll lose the lot etc etc etc.

Anything about Thai people will be met with the usual anti Thai negative posts etc etc.

I understand why they don't come back, hardly surprising to me.

Yes and No, members have asked advice on the motoring forum and received brilliant advice but never told all how their problem turned out. One problem l recall, l asked how he got on, no reply. smile.gif

Problem fixed, they're on their way. Narcissism is the new black.

However the topic is still at hand "Cardholder" or is it too OLD (the topic for you to say Tks as well) and why are you still a "P" member when you Kan/could change it as you do have more that 500 posts that are required.

Win

Oops. Didn't realise I could change.

Will now consider my option.

• Like 1

I have a different feeling about this. It doesn't matter. Many questions are questions that other people have, or are going to have in future. Not only the OP reads the info and answers that follow a question. By posting such things, it adds to the general knowledge for everyone who reads it. So it is often a bigger thing than just about the OP.

For example, I now consider myself an expert on retirement visas, retirement extensions, and ways to start that without an 0-A visa. I wouldn't know what I know now without reading about other people's problems and experiences.

I agree.

When someone gives you a somtam recipe on ThaiVisa you don't expect them to come over and share it with you, right? I think this is where personal feelings get involved with cyberspace.

But now someone else knows how to make makhoo bpu

Some people acknowledge, while others don't.