Weather warning: Thailand's worst flooding in 50 years

webfact

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somehow I doubt that they are the domesticated type that curl up in front of the fire or go fetch your slippers for you.

This one didn't bother with the Fire , But got the slippers ( Yummy ) and Stole a T-Shirt.:blink:

YUMMIER , Got any more of them T-Shirts around here ??;)

post-76456-023321100 1287490628_thumb.jp

My guess is that the alligators are headed to Pattaya.

Always looking for new recruits.:whistling:

Guess nobody would be worried if the crocs would go inside the Big C at second road. Most people will think it's just a show...a crocodile live show...:jap:

Somehow I doubt that they are the domesticated type that curl up in front of the fire or go fetch your slippers for you.

This one didn't bother with the Fire , But got the slippers ( Yummy ) and Stole a T-Shirt.:blink:

YUMMIER , Got any more of them T-Shirts around here ??;)

You should stop your dam_n red shirt propaganda now immediately.......:jap:

I don't think it is the same procedure every year. The situation for water has been getting worse and worse. Looking at the web sites of the Mekong River Commission during the water shortage month of June (the beginning of the wet season) I saw that the Mekong was lower than their benchmark 'Dry Year'. I found some tables comparing rain fall over many (I think fifty) years and saw that there was a trend downwards in the entire Mekong basin. That is: there was clearly a continual reduction in total rainfall since the 1950's

Looking at the Mekong sites again now, I see that in the lower Mekong the levels are still below the benchmark 'Dry Year'. This may not be for long, since the levels in the Mekong bordering Thailand have gone up so fast during September that they are nearing 'Flood Year' levels - but nowhere near flood alarm levels. Checking the rain fall accumulation I see that the rain was late starting and very heavy in September. The total rain fall accumulation for this year is still low – so the Mekong level is not (only) the fault of Chinese dams. The rain fall record I refer to is at the Mekong river sites, not in the interior of Thailand.

Flooding in BKK will come from the north. The Korat province drains to the Mekong.

Interesting points. Do the figures that you saw take into account the amount of forest that has been destroyed over the last fifty years?

As you probably know, forest acts like a sponge. Less forest leads to less ability to absorb water and release it slowly. This in turn leads to droughts in the summer and floods in the rainy season.

If Thailand wants to take steps to reduce drought and flooding, the remaining watershed areas need to be protected and not turned into farmland. Once it is farmland, rainfall just washes off the sides of the hills into the rivers causing both flooding and erosion.

Let's take an extreme example and compare Haiti to the Dominican Republic. Both the border between the two, and the devastating erosion can be seen from space as well as on the ground. Go to Google Earth for starters.

captphoto12874858869991.jpg

Villagers walk through flood water in front a giant Buddha statue in Ayutthaya province on October 19.

The worst floods in decades in Thailand's rural northeast have killed at least seven people and damaged homes, businesses and swathes of farmland, officials said.

AFP

captf2cbcc06e625413bb83.jpg

Thai soldiers push a small boat loaded with a patient and a medical team as they are evacuated from a hospital in Nakhon Ratchasima province.

AP

Alligators? Or Crocodiles?

I'd like to know if that original story is correct? Alligators are native to the USA and China (though very rare in nature in China; more are held in captivity.)

If they are really alligators that got loose, there must be a story on why they brought them to Thailand. Anyway, not much difference between them and crocs . . . though crocs are supposedly more aggressive.

they are Crocodiles... :)

to be more precise, they are Hybrid Crocodiles.

all of the croc farms in Thailand breed this Siamese/Saltwater 'mix' that was intentionally crossed in the 1960's - their leather is supposed to be of a more superior quality..

they often escape from captivity, i've seen Individuals in rivers at Khao Yai, but i doubt an escape of such a large number has ever occured in Thailand before..

Beware :ph34r:

Agreed. It's too hot to curl up in front of the fire in Thailand.

Just turn the a/c down low and put a sweater on

Talked to the girlfriend this morning, last night in Thailand her family lives in chokchai and they had water in the house and the family farm was under water.

were abouts in Chok Chai, I have friends in Sagegong, I wonder if that area is also under water

The mom lives a few streets from the market and north of 24 as it comes into town from Korat, not sure about name of area and the farm is west on 24.

30 Alligators Escape from Farm in Nakorn Ratchasima

Reports indicate that more than 30 alligators have escaped from the Si Kew Alligator Farm in Nakorn Ratchasrima province. Heavy flooding in the provice has allowed the reptiles to swim out of their confinements. Only two have been recaptured. Reports also indicate that some of them are as long as three meters.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-10-19

footer_n.gif

are these wild crocs or trained crocs ? , as i wouldnt like to be in those waters at the moment

Have seen picture of crocs caught on Sukhumvit soi 48 in Bangkok. They come out of the river and like to stroll by the girlfriends house

In Sukhothai we have had problems in the past but of late we have had heavy rain not worse but longer than before there have been little or no incidents the Government here have done an excellent job of sorting the flooding situation of past.

I hope they safe some of this water for the upcoming dry season. See the headlines already from March 2011 WATER SHORTAGES IN MANY PROVINCES ALL OVER THAILAND, Farmers complain about watering of Golf Greens, Megkong at his lowest level in 100 years etc. etc. etc.....same procedure as every year,- please, wake me up after they learned something from it :jap:

I don’t think it is the same procedure every year. The situation for water has been getting worse and worse. Looking at the web sites of the Mekong River Commission during the water shortage month of June (the beginning of the wet season) I saw that the Mekong was lower than their benchmark ‘Dry Year’. I found some tables comparing rain fall over many (I think fifty) years and saw that there was a trend downwards in the entire Mekong basin. That is: there was clearly a continual reduction in total rainfall since the 1950’s

Looking at the Mekong sites again now, I see that in the lower Mekong the levels are still below the benchmark ‘Dry Year’. This may not be for long, since the levels in the Mekong bordering Thailand have gone up so fast during September that they are nearing ‘Flood Year’ levels - but nowhere near flood alarm levels. Checking the rain fall accumulation I see that the rain was late starting and very heavy in September. The total rain fall accumulation for this year is still low – so the Mekong level is not (only) the fault of Chinese dams. The rain fall record I refer to is at the Mekong river sites, not in the interior of Thailand.

Flooding in BKK will come from the north. The Korat province drains to the Mekong.

There are some governments in the world which are a little bit forward-looking then the Thai government and its people on duty. May be the low Megkohng Level has its origin in the 3 dams the Chinese build to store the water of the river. It will surely come to more shortages while China got enough water, at least for the next 10-20 years because the glaciers in Tibet and China will not last forever. If the Thai government not wake up asap we will see how the north and many other areas become just deserts....but right, what do the rich Thais care about, they will always have enough for watering their golf greens

If the Thai government not wake up asap we will see how the north and many other areas become just deserts....but right, what do the rich Thais care about, they will always have enough for watering their golf greens

Right. So many many wealthy and influential people do not have a stake in agriculture?

Drove Chiangmai to Singburi, across to Saraburi on 311, up to Pak Chong then the 24 to Buriram yesterday, arrived 9pm. No problem. A little water across road near CP factory 30km on the 24. Returned from Buriram on 24, into Bangkok on Asia highway, no problem today, Only hassle was the hour it took to get of expressway onto Sukhumvit Road!!!!!!!!!

Reports indicate that more than 30 alligators have escaped from the Si Kew Alligator Farm in Nakorn Ratchasrima province. Heavy flooding in the provice has allowed the reptiles to swim out of their confinements. Only two have been recaptured. Reports also indicate that some of them are as long as three meters.

tanlogo.jpg

footer_n.gif

are these wild crocs or trained crocs ? , as i wouldnt like to be in those waters at the moment

I don't think it really matters, unless of course if they are vegetarians

Interesting points. Do the figures that you saw take into account the amount of forest that has been destroyed over the last fifty years?

As you probably know, forest acts like a sponge. Less forest leads to less ability to absorb water and release it slowly. This in turn leads to droughts in the summer and floods in the rainy season.

If Thailand wants to take steps to reduce drought and flooding, the remaining watershed areas need to be protected and not turned into farmland. Once it is farmland, rainfall just washes off the sides of the hills into the rivers causing both flooding and erosion.

Let's take an extreme example and compare Haiti to the Dominican Republic. Both the border between the two, and the devastating erosion can be seen from space as well as on the ground. Go to Google Earth for starters.

Good post. I live on Vancouver Island in BC, Canada where logging has stripped all the valleys and hillsides bare of forests. The result is flash floods during heavy rains and droughts even during mild summers.

:D:D:D

I am supposed to be travelling to Sing Buri, Nakhon Sawan and Saraburi this weekend. Now a bad idea??

Planning to spend the long weekend in Nakhon Sawan also, Are there some members who know the current situation in the city

30 Alligators Escape from Farm in Nakorn Ratchasima, in Nakhon Sawan too.

There are some governments in the world which are a little bit forward-looking then the Thai government and its people on duty. May be the low Megkohng Level has its origin in the 3 dams the Chinese build to store the water of the river. It will surely come to more shortages while China got enough water, at least for the next 10-20 years because the glaciers in Tibet and China will not last forever. If the Thai government not wake up asap we will see how the north and many other areas become just deserts....but right, what do the rich Thais care about, they will always have enough for watering their golf greens

You're right; there are indeed countries in the world who take WATER MANAGEMENT seriously but Thailand is by far not one of them.

It's a misconception that the China dams are the cause for the water shortages and you wouldn't say that if you would have known about the extremely serious droughts, earlier this years in South West China, also in the origin areas of the Mekong.

The water supply from China into the Mekong is a mere 16% whilst the majority of Mekong water is coming from mountaineous Laos with 35%, Thailand and Cambodia.

Check your own MRC website : http://www.mrcmekong.org/

But, you're again right that the main problem lies in the decreasing glaciers on the Tibetan plateau.

LaoPo

Govt Pledges Speedy Help for Flood Victims

The agriculure minister has ordered Sirikit Dam to minimize the volume of water it is discharging to prevent flooding in Bangkok.

Meanwhile, the prime minister pledges to visit more flood-stricken provinces.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said he will find appropriate time to inspect other provinces affected by severe flooding after yesterday's visit to Nakhon Ratchasima, which is suffering from the worst floods in ten years.

The prime minister today also held a video conference with governors of flood hit provinces to convey his policy on the matter.

Natural Resources and Environment Minister Suwit Khunkitti said his ministry has sent off three tanker trucks to make sure drinking water is readily available to affected residents.

Officials at various national parks in the flooded zones have been instructed to help local villlagers.

Defense Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan said his ministry has also prepared a special budget for assistance to flooded areas while the Region 2 Army, which oversees security in the northeast, will play a key role in carrying out relief measures.

Agriculture and Cooperatives Minister Theera Wongsamut said the volume of recent rainfall is beyond local dams' capacities, thus resulting in major floods in many provinces.

Theera said the water level of the Chao Phraya River is now under a close watch.

Officials at the Sirikit Dam in the northern province of Uttaradit have been ordered to minimize the release of water to keep Bangkok safe from possible floods.

However, it may be unavoidable for floods to hit the suburban Pathum Thani province.

The minister also said the full extent of flood damage to agricultural areas can only be determined after floodwater recedes.

Consideration of aid will rest with the Finance Ministry.

Transport Minister Sopon Sarum said floods have already caused damage of up to one billion baht to national highways. His ministry will use leftover budgets for initial repairs.

He said several northbound trains are back to service as floodwater has receded while some railroads are still under water.

The Transport Ministry has also opened a 24 hour hotline at 1156 to help flood stricken residents.

The center has arranged for staff and rapid response units to fix cars caught in the middle of rising floodwater.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-10-20

footer_n.gif

100,000 people in Korat still affected by flood

Nakornrachsima (NNT) -- Over 100,000 residents of Nakornrachasima Province have been affected by flash floods, with roads and houses submerged under water blocking rescue teams’ access to the area.

The worst flooding in decades continues to wreak havoc on Nakonrachasima, inundating hundreds of homes and thousands of rai of farmland in Pakthongchai district. The overflow from the Lum-pra-pleung Dam has submerged farms and homes under water over a meter deep, making it difficult for rescue teams to reach the affected. Flat-bottom boats, normally used to evacuate the stranded, were unable to reach the flooded areas and swept away be strong current. Rescue teams have been trying their best to assist residents of Nakonrachasima despite limited resources.

Meanwhile, the water level at which the dam could store has now exceeded its safety limit by 40 million cubic meters. The overflow has caused the water in Khlong Lum Sum rai to continue flooding areas below the dam. It is also feared that if the water in the Lum-ta-Khlong dam begins to overflow, residents of Pak-thong-chai will be in for one of the worst flooding in years.

However, since the rain has let up, the situation in Pakchong district has gotten a little better; but Mitraparp Highway, the major road linking Central Thailand to northeast, provinces is still impassable. The authorities have advised that those wishing to return to Bangkok use the bypass-road, instead of going directly through Pakchong.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-10-20 footer_n.gif

I'd like to know if these floods are a result of record rainfall or just general human interference with the natural course of things - e.g. damming, deforestation etc.

or is it a combination of both.

does anyone know of an erudite analysis of this flooding?

tanlogo.jpg

footer_n.gif

I don't think it really matters, unless of course if they are vegetarians

Algators? - in Asia? I think not?

Alligators? Or Crocodiles?

I'd like to know if that original story is correct? Alligators are native to the USA and China (though very rare in nature in China; more are held in captivity.)

If they are really alligators that got loose, there must be a story on why they brought them to Thailand. Anyway, not much difference between them and crocs . . . though crocs are supposedly more aggressive.

They have enough to worry about in Korat without having to also worry about alligators (or crocodiles) swimming around too!

Probably alligators since they are much more docile than crocodiles. Plus I believe crocodiles prefer salt water ... which would make keeping them in a natural habitat more difficult..