Made In Thailand Poverty Packs

fred007

I currently in the market for a new 4 wheel drive .Namely the Mitsubishi Pajero.which by the way in Australia is called the Challenger.Which brings me to my to point in Question.Why do the Thai people get treated as second class citizens?Namely when it comes to protection regarding airbags.I brought the Australian Mitsubishi brochures and took them to a very large Mitsubishi dealer in Bangkok and the staff were all amazed to see how many airbags the Pajero had in Australia compared to the Thai version.Not 2 but 6.It makes me sick to think that a life is worth less in Thailand then in another country.I realize that its about cost,but at least offer it as an optional extra.Which brings me to my next issue the amount of colours for vehicle sold in general in Thailand.Namely........Silver or light Silver or Dark Silver Dark Grey or Gray light Gray or Grey .........As Henry Ford once said you can have my car any colour as long as its Black..

Henry Ford ,would surely love to see the vast colour range Thai people are offered when buying the second biggest purchase they will ever likely to make.jap.gif

It's all about competition, market demands and education.. Thai's think "no need" so they'd rather pay less for a vehicle they can afford therefore the manufacturers don't put in such safety features and only provide basement packages on the whole.. It's only very recently that rear seat belts have even been offered as standard in most vehicles...

Ever since I got here there is numerous examples of this in everything from tooth paste to toilet paper where they make the package look big and plentiful but pack and price it for the market in smaller affordable portions it takes time to educate and hook the consumer..

It's all about competition, market demands and education.. Thai's think "no need" so they'd rather pay less for a vehicle they can afford therefore the manufacturers don't put in such safety features and only provide basement packages on the whole.. It's only very recently that rear seat belts have even been offered as standard in most vehicles...

Ever since I got here there is numerous examples of this in everything from tooth paste to toilet paper where they make the package look big and plentiful but pack and price it for the market in smaller affordable portions it takes time to educate and hook the consumer..

Thankyou for your reply.

I believe that there is the demand but the manufacturers in this country treats its customers with contempt .jap.gif

I think the market for many products in Thailand is not yet mature. The consumer does not have the same power as in the West and fails to make reasonable demands on the manufacturer. I agree with your point about the awful boring colours in Thailand - but if the Thai people don't vote with their feet, the manufacturer's will just keep selling the same rubbish to them.

Note that Ford are offering lots of colour variations.

I also went to look at the Pajero and I didn't like it at all. It's full of plastic and the colour scheme is limited. There is no manual gearbox available just the rubbish gas-guzzling autos that they seem to want. I told the sales person that I wanted it in red and that my friend has the Triton pickup in red and that essentially it is the same vehicle. She said that it wasn't available in red so I said no thanks. In Thailand they don't listen to customers, so it's unlikely that when I walked away, the woman went through the mental processes of considing that a customer had been lost due to the lack of colours being available. They don't normally put two-and-two together here.

It is all about competition, demand, education?

Poppycock!

It is all about profit maximalisation, legal demands and PR-bullshit.

Also called "communication".

The adagio there is, repeat a lie many times and it will become the truth.

As long as the laws in Thailand are so lenient towards safety and consumer protection, there will be more room for profit.

And face it, even Toyota has thrown away its good name for durability and safety for a few pennies more profit per car.

Check you Toyota, ever called back in Thailand?

Same pedal.

l go along with warby on this and that here in Thailand it has be made as cheap as possible or it will not sell.

The Vigo top of the range truck was almost a million bath but now l have seen it has come back down by some 40,000.

This has been covered many times. The bottom-line is Thai's won;'t pay extra for it,. Mai pen rai :)

IF they fit them extra air bags standard at the factory the same as the rest of the world they wont have any choice.And gee they made even get extra sales over the opposition the fact that theres comes with 6 or 8 air bags over the cost cutting opposition........Naaaaaaaa that wont work in Thailand too simple an idea whistling.gif

This has been covered many times. The bottom-line is Thai's won;'t pay extra for it,. Mai pen rai :)

IF they fit them extra air bags standard at the factory the same as the rest of the world they wont have any choice.And gee they made even get extra sales over the opposition the fact that theres comes with 6 or 8 air bags over the cost cutting opposition........Naaaaaaaa that wont work in Thailand too simple an idea whistling.gif

The Mazda 3 has very convincingly proven that extra airbags don't improve your sales in Thailand.

The fact is that substantially more cars are manufactured in Thailand with 4, 6 or 8 airbags than standard 1 or 2 airbags we see on sale here (exports outstrip domestic sales anywhere from 100% to 400%++ depending on brand/model) so it's not like the capacity isn't there, it's just purely market driven.

Additional airbags increase costs, and Thai's won't pay for it. simple.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Dont forget that airbargs on smaller cars are really really small and in case of an accident, you gain 0% safety with them. My car salesman for my gf'S honda told us not to bother getting the airbargs because they would probably be more useless than a pillow

We move a decent amount of Mazda 3's from our BKK dealerships, infact sales are fairly healthy.

Side airbags were introduced in the Mazda 3 in September 2008. before that they averaged 300-400 units/month. They sold 500+ units in September '08 when the minor change first released, had another 500+ spurt in Dec 2008 and again in April (which is always a strong month for Thai car sales), but then went straight back to the normal 300-400 units/month volume until Dec 2009, when the whole brand improved.

There's no data to suggest that the additional of side airbags sold anything more than 400-600 extra units in total - and nothing to prove that side airbags were behind that either, as the numbers are all effected by Dec & March car shows and new model release marketing.

But yes, sales have improved dramatically this year, a lot to do with the Mazda 2 of course, but avg 3 sales are now 1500+ a month.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

How did Oz Mitsu get round calling the Pajero a Chrysler model name, Challenger. :unsure:

They are in bed together ?......Me Thinks biggrin.gif

They were years ago when they were making the Diamond Star Motors Branded cars like the Eclipse and Chrysler's version the Eagle and Laser but that relationship dissolved shortly thereafter, is it possible that it has rekindled in light of the recent financial troubles of Chrysler I wonder? I hadn't heard anything... :huh:

Dont forget that airbargs on smaller cars are really really small and in case of an accident, you gain 0% safety with them. My car salesman for my gf'S honda told us not to bother getting the airbargs because they would probably be more useless than a pillow

Thai salesman I presume? Let me guess? They'd have to order one with airbags but had several without on the lot waiting? :whistling:

Edited by WarpSpeed

Thai's think "no need"

Im not sure about that, when I removed my airbag wheel to fit a momo wheel everyone here at work was horrified, some even sent emails asking me to refit the bag wheel so I don't die.

:rolleyes: Yeah and how many of those rode home in a taxi without belts, on a scooter without a helmet, or taxi scooter same same, rode against the flow of traffic or made their own lane on the toll way, and on, and on, and on, and on............................. :whistling:

l go along with warby on this and that here in Thailand it has be made as cheap as possible or it will not sell.

The Vigo top of the range truck was almost a million bath but now l have seen it has come back down by some 40,000.

Great!!! :o Finally get someone who agrees and the nik of my nik gets bastardized :( ....

Edited by WarpSpeed

Thai's think "no need"

Im not sure about that, when I removed my airbag wheel to fit a momo wheel everyone here at work was horrified, some even sent emails asking me to refit the bag wheel so I don't die.

:rolleyes: Yeah and how many of those rode home in a taxi without belts, on a scooter without a helmet, or taxi scooter same same, rode against the flow of traffic or made their own lane on the toll way, and on, and on, and on, and on............................. :whistling:

Probably most, today I removed all the airbag shit and zapped the computer to remove the dashboard warning light, only bags my ride has in in the suspension (purchased but not fitted).

Edited by Spoonman

airbags and motorcycle helmets don't help, only buddha decides

Yeah those amulets however sell like hotcakes.. :whistling:

They dont need airbags because they're not scared of death. They believe in reincarnation. ;)

I'm not scared of death and the old tossers i drive believe in reincarnation when i get the welding torch outlaugh.gif.

airbags and motorcycle helmets don't help, only buddha decides

Yeah those amulets however sell like hotcakes.. :whistling:

They dont need airbags because they're not scared of death. They believe in reincarnation. ;)

I'm not scared of death and the old tossers i drive believe in reincarnation when i get the welding torch outlaugh.gif.

Yeah it ain't about being scared of death but even if you have some future life back here on earth (and of course that ain't guaranteed and even still it may be as a dog or something worse so I'd consider this one to be top of the food chain) why squander the only certain one you have on the off chance there is no other life to be had..

Thought like what? You quote several posts but you're post is ambiguous.. If you're referring to racing being dangerous and taking risks are you suggesting that no safety measures are taken by PROPER racing programs and drivers to protect themselves and others? NO ONE wants to die while racing or get seriously injured that's the draw back to doing it.. At least not PROPER drivers or teams...

If that's the case that is in the top 3 of the silliest things you've ever posted and that's a lot to gauge against.. If I misunderstood then feel free to expound on your post for clarity and set me straight..

Safe race cars inspire confidence and make top drivers drive harder and with more confidence end of..

JFYI I've never driven a race car with an airbag and I can see how I could mistake your post T/A so if I did, please take it in that vein as it could go either way which is why I'm asking for clarity..

I just realized??? As some would say, (not me mind you) but McDonalds T/A?? That's really taking a risk isn't it?? B):D

Edited by WarpSpeed

I have had more accident's in pre airbag vehicles than ones that have them and Iam still here to tell the tale, infact my current vehicle is the first Ive actually owned that has(had) airbags.

Edited by Spoonman

Yeah it ain't about being scared of death but even if you have some future life back here on earth (and of course that ain't guaranteed and even still it may be as a dog or something worse so I'd consider this one to be top of the food chain) why squander the only certain one you have on the off chance there is no other life to be had..

You didn't understand the smileys then? and now transam has started you off, not a good day.