Is It Me (Helpless)

After having 2 VV refused on surprise surprise, reason to return, balance of probabilities bla bla bla.,We have now submitted application for Settlement Visa.

Taking much good advice gained from the very estute contributers to these pages,I have submitted a very comprehensive dossier supporting my now wifes application.

I met her on visit 1,got engaged to her on trip 2 and married her on trip 3. The supporting documents contained, 5 page statement on how we met and all about our relationship, a 2 page staement about me, a full page about where we will live and comprehensive proof of my finance and employment. Passport stamps, hotel bills, flights,car hire,married details and documents, divorce documents,TB scan,90 photos, letters of support,references, bank statements,wage slips,phone details, letters, texts and emails totalling 250 pages.

In my opinion we have ticked all the right boxes. SO WHY am I now thinking about the APPEAL after just one week of what I am told could be a very long wait. My beautiful wife is 7000 miles away, WHY?

Am I the only one who feels so helpless and alone. What ever went wrong with being English?

From what you say you seem to have covered the requirements, as long as you have sufficient funds, plus acccommodation to meet the settlement visa requirements. You may have gone slightly over the top with your statements ( 5 pages, plus 2 pages, etc) as the ECOs prefer to have concise statements to read ( from my experience). That said, you would probably have covered most, if not all, of the points the ECO wants to see.

The waiting period seems to be between 8 - 12 weeks at the moment. Good luck. If it does go to appeal, send me a PM and I will be happy to have a look at it.

I was slightly aghast reading that post - I can't imagine what an immigration offical would think. It reads like a recipe for disaster:

I met her on visit 1,got engaged to her on trip 2 and married her on trip 3

I've lived in Bangkok for four years and I have real empathy for Thais who live abroad, it must be incredibly difficult; coupled with a cross-cultural, multi-lingual marriage. Living here I've observed for myself that there needs to be a significant issue to encourage Thais to leave their home. Can only imagine how much immigration officials get exposed to; 3 month wait is nothing compared with till death do us part.

I was slightly aghast reading that post - I can't imagine what an immigration offical would think. It reads like a recipe for disaster:

The OP is asking for visa advice, not relationship advice.

I will say, though, that I met my wife on trip one; married her and applied for settlement visa on trip 2; brought her back to the UK on trip 3. That was 10 years ago and we're still going strong!

As far as any UK immigration official is concerned; the only requirement under the UK rules is that the couple have actually met. There is no minimum length of relationship, although the official needs to be satisfied that the relationship is genuine.

From what you say you seem to have covered the requirements, as long as you have sufficient funds, plus acccommodation to meet the settlement visa requirements. You may have gone slightly over the top with your statements ( 5 pages, plus 2 pages, etc) as the ECOs prefer to have concise statements to read ( from my experience). That said, you would probably have covered most, if not all, of the points the ECO wants to see.

The waiting period seems to be between 8 - 12 weeks at the moment. Good luck. If it does go to appeal, send me a PM and I will be happy to have a look at it.

UK government statistics show that 80% of Thai UK marriages end in divorce this is the real reason why they make it so difficult for people like you, I got this information from a lawyer buddy of mine who represented the government on appeal cases. all the same best wishes for success

How does a lawyer who represents the Home Office in appeals know what the divorce rate among Thai/UK couples is?

Do you have anything more concrete than hearsay to back up this assertion?

The immigration rules and the settlement requirements are the same everywhere, regardless of the applicant's nationality or where they apply.

Indeed, the success rate in Thailand for 2008/09 was 87% (source, page 75).

Once again, the OP is asking for visa advice, not relationship advice. Any more off topic posts will be deleted and the poster concerned given a short holiday.

Don't worry about the previous refusals - they shouldn't have an impact on the settlement decision, as long as you were sure to mention them on the application form.

I wouldn't worry yourself about an appeal now - just relax and let the process take its course. Hard I know, being so far away from a loved one, but getting anxious won't help! And you're certainly not alone in the way you feel - draw some solace from the reports of other people's experiences here too.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Many thanks for the kind words, I am sorry if I put any emphasis on the time scale of our relationship because that was not my intention, I have many freinds who have married thai girls and after just one visit. They are all very happy. I just feel that the system could work much better if prospective Thai/UK partnerships were alowed to florish as we originaly wanted. The eco denied us that pleasure by twice refusing a VV. The only way we could be together was for us to marry, I have no regrets about that. I just wish that we were given a better choice.I will keep you all informed of the outcome, If my heart holds out!!

[

quote name='7by7'

I will say, though, that I met my wife on trip one; married her and applied for settlement visa on trip 2; quote]

although the official needs to be satisfied that the relationship is genuine.

Reason enough for an ECO to consider the relationship as not genuine, wouldnt you agree?

hello glen,

it seems you need some words of comfort mate.

we ourselves have just been through the long road to a successful settlement visa application so i know what you are going through; it seems to me that you have ticked all the right boxes within the content of your application and what you are showing the eco; i myself also included a very long and detailed sponsors letter, which was longer than yours may i add, but i thought it better to include everything in detail than forget something, if you are happy with the quality of the content don't worry to much about it, better to show him you have made an effort than the contary.

good luck mate, you'll be fine.

kind regards

glen i too had 2 v v refusals in april and may last yr, we finally got it on the 3rd attempt in july last yr, and i must say with all the 3 visa applications put in nothing had changed except a couple more months had passed, i wrote my 3rd letter explaining this and she got it, now my wife is with me in the uk on a settlement visa which she got at the first attempt, dont worry pal im sure you will be just fine so forget thinking about your appeal mate there wont be one needed,

[

quote name='7by7'

I will say, though, that I met my wife on trip one; married her and applied for settlement visa on trip 2; quote]

Reason enough for an ECO to consider the relationship as not genuine, wouldnt you agree?

Obviously not, as it's my relationship. The ECO obviously thought the relationship genuine as they issued her with settlement visa!

As we are still together 10 years later it appears that ECO is a better judge of a what is a genuine, lasting relationship than you!

[

quote name='7by7'

Obviously not, as it's my relationship. The ECO obviously thought the relationship genuine as they issued her with settlement visa!

As we are still together 10 years later it appears that ECO is a better judge of a what is a genuine, lasting relationship than you!

I think that just proved my point as stated here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/381575-uk-settlement-waiting/page__st__500 that the vast majority of applications will be approved, irrespective. And so they should to. I firmly believe that marriages of convenience are good for all those involved. The aged farang divorcee in need of a companion or the poor Isaani girl in need of some security.

I'm sorry but, no, I do not think that an ECO or any other citizen would consider such a courtship as a 'genuine' relationship. It sounds very much like one of 'those marriages', where there are clear advantages for both and as long as you both agree to it, which you clearly did, then the best of British luck to you!! But lets be honest for a moment here.....who can honestly say that they met a Thai woman (or a farang man) on short trip and then decided to commit to a marriage due to some kind of deeply rooted love relationship? That is what I meant by a genuine relationship. There is a vast difference between someone like Bangcockney meeting his Mrs in Thailand whilst living there, then returning to the UK with her whilst she studied her MA to a chap meeting a woman via the net, catalogue, intro ...whatever and immediately marrying her.

Unfortunately both kinds of marriages are having to jump through the same loops to get a settlement visa and both are tainted with the same stereotypes when returning to blighty. Unfortunate for those in long term genuine relationships. by the way I am sure that yours, now, is just that...long term and genuine but 10 years ago?

I've lived in Bangkok for four years and I have real empathy for Thais who live abroad, it must be incredibly difficult; coupled with a cross-cultural, multi-lingual marriage. Living here I've observed for myself that there needs to be a significant issue to encourage Thais to leave their home. Can only imagine how much immigration officials get exposed to; 3 month wait is nothing compared with till death do us part.

My wife and daughter love it in the UK! Not quite sure what the above post is about. Lots of people move around the world to live. Are Thais any different?

We live a fairly ordinary existence - similar to life in Thailand but with central heating!!!!

Oh we have only been together for 8 years!!

Edited by bobrussell

My wife and daughter love it in the UK! Not quite sure what the above post is about. Lots of people move around the world to live. Are Thais any different?

We live a fairly ordinary existence - similar to life in Thailand but with central heating!!!!

Oh we have only been together for 8 years!!

Here here ! My wife lived in the UK for several years before we returned here with my work. She misses her life and friends back in blighty like crazy and can't wait to get back......

Oh and good luck OP :D

Edited by Melpomene

My wife and I originally had our first VV application turned down. I had over 1000 texts to present to them, so I printed off a selection of 30 or so and put the rest on a CD which I included in my application. The rejection letter stated that we hadn’t evidenced sufficient contact, regardless of the CD or the phone bills showing at least three calls a day. Our immigration solicitor (an ex immigration officer) believed that they didn’t even bother to look at the CD and used the text messages as an excuse to refuse our application because of my past history.

As the story goes, I was previously married to a Thai lady when I was 25 years old; she lived in the UK with me, initially on a fiancée visa and later a spouse visa. The relationship turned sour two years in, we amicably divorced and she returned to Thailand.

A year on from my divorce, I met a waitress in a restaurant; she was shy and very traditional, but after a few weeks she agreed to go out for a meal with me. Fast forward eight trips (in a single year) and my waitress girlfriend whom I refer to in the first paragraph, was refused her VV because we suspect they were not happy that I’d been involved in a failed marriage previously. We applied again and when we heard nothing we contacted the immigration officer who had previously emailed our immigration solicitor for further information. It turned out that the embassy had lost her passport, we wrote a letter of complaint to the embassy and ‘hey ho’ her passport was found and it contained a nice new VV.

As things stand today, my now wife has been living in the UK on a spouse visa for just over two years. She has recently passed her Life in the UK test and we are in the process of applying for ILR.

My point is, whilst at the moment you feel completely helpless and lost, there is light at the end of the tunnel. I am man enough to admit that when our first VV was rejected, I shed a few tears. I was devastated and honestly believed that my past history had ruined any chance for a future visa with my now wife. You have described a very detailed portfolio of information and the more evidence you provide them with the better. This lady is now your wife and a husband and his wife should be together; if the relationship is genuine and you fulfil the criteria, then I have no doubt that you and your wife will be together very soon. Keep believing my friend.

But lets be honest for a moment here.....who can honestly say that they met a Thai woman (or a farang man) on short trip and then decided to commit to a marriage due to some kind of deeply rooted love relationship?

I can, and we're now in our 13th year together.

I think that just proved my point as stated here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/381575-uk-settlement-waiting/page__st__500 that the vast majority of applications will be approved, irrespective. And so they should to. I firmly believe that marriages of convenience are good for all those involved. The aged farang divorcee in need of a companion or the poor Isaani girl in need of some security.

I'm sorry but, no, I do not think that an ECO or any other citizen would consider such a courtship as a 'genuine' relationship. It sounds very much like one of 'those marriages', where there are clear advantages for both and as long as you both agree to it, which you clearly did, then the best of British luck to you!! But lets be honest for a moment here.....who can honestly say that they met a Thai woman (or a farang man) on short trip and then decided to commit to a marriage due to some kind of deeply rooted love relationship? That is what I meant by a genuine relationship. There is a vast difference between someone like Bangcockney meeting his Mrs in Thailand whilst living there, then returning to the UK with her whilst she studied her MA to a chap meeting a woman via the net, catalogue, intro ...whatever and immediately marrying her.

Unfortunately both kinds of marriages are having to jump through the same loops to get a settlement visa and both are tainted with the same stereotypes when returning to blighty. Unfortunate for those in long term genuine relationships. by the way I am sure that yours, now, is just that...long term and genuine but 10 years ago?

Mmmm....if this isn't "trolling" :whistling:

RAZZ

• 3 weeks later...

My long and stressful year is now coming to a successful end, my wife recieved her SV today exactly 5 weeks after we had submitted the SV application.

Many thanks to all of you who voiced support and encouragement. It was possibly the hardest thing I have ever had to do. I could never have done it with the help of the many contributers to TV.

I would like to add a valuable tip to the many already listed. First read the many posts here,reserch all of the questions asked, include every document related to your application, collate all supporting documents in an easy format to read, use Robs Pinned guide but customise to your own format. If you tick all the right boxes you are almost there.

Finally heartfelt thanks to Tigerjohn,Tigerfish and especialy 7by7 May I be the first to wish you a very MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR. I know Mr and Mrs Johnson will be think about you all.Good luck to those still waiting. Regards Glenn